Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of RTW, What was the 'slighty more detailed and expanded content' mod for Barbarian Invasion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of RTW, What was the 'slighty more detailed and expanded content' mod for Barbarian Invasion?

All of the recent mods work with BI and Alexander as well, as far as I know.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Athropos posted:

You mean Lusted's overrated mods that barely change anything from the base game? :colbert:

I'm only familiar with Lands to Conquer but didn't he do an enormous amount of bugfixes in LtC? Did he do the same thing for his Rome mods?

I don't mind Medieval/Rome Plus type mods and don't think that's really a solid reason to criticize them - especially with how buggy and rough the core games were.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
The switch away from province-based movement was the biggest misstep they made, I think. Unless you go out of your way to avoid them, sieges will be 90%+ of your battles in any modern Total War game, and that's unfortunate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Crosspost from video games deal megathread.

I've never played the series before, and am a total dummy. I'm fairly certain that I'll love it, as I enjoy similar games including ones inferior in every way (like Commander: Conquest of the Americas :saddowns:)
Great coupon codes and deal on Greenman Gaming today.
There's an $18 Master pack here or a $33 Grandmaster pack here

Is the extra content in the Grandmaster pack worth the extra $15? Where should I start playing, being new to the series?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

canyoneer posted:

Is the extra content in the Grandmaster pack worth the extra $15? Where should I start playing, being new to the series?

The extra content looks fantastic, as it's essentially all the DLC for all the games (which is huge) and is definitely worth the extra money. You'd be hard-pressed to play online, or even to run most of the mods, without some of that DLC. You should start playing the Shogun 2 vanilla campaign - and I say that as someone who loves RTW - because it's the most polished game in the series. It will get you used to the concepts that the other games are based around (particularly the sword/archery/cavalry games Rome and Medieval). Then move on to playing its expansion, Fall of the Samurai, which is representative of the gun-based games (Empire and Napoleon). After that, just go ahead and see what you're interested in. There's a poo poo-ton of content in that Grandmaster Pack.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 21, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kaal posted:

RSII is awesome if you want to play as the Romans. The other factions don't have nearly as much attention paid to them though. I plan on playing through another Roman campaign in RSII once I finished my Averni campaign in EB. Sadly you can't really install them both at the same time.

Gotta disagree, I played through a few campaigns as eastern nations on Roma Surrectum 2 and felt they were not left in the shade due to a focus on Rome.

The previous poster summed up my thoughts on rs2 just like I would: not too much nor too little sperg & historical accuracy, but just right.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I keep getting my arse handed to me in the latter, because I get halfway through my planned route of Liberating Coastal Spain and Portugal just gets horribly crushed by the French and I have to drop everything and Liberate them AND what little territory Spain has.

You want to capture provinces up the coast and keep building supply depots to fill up your armies. In the meantime liberate stuff in Central Spain to draw French armies down.

It's very much a campaign where you want to plan ahead just to take the provinces you need to in order to win and carefully balance your forces to have just enough everywhere to get the job done.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
I'm starting to feel that no one on Total War Center actually likes the Total War games.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

BobTheSpy posted:

I'm starting to feel that no one on Total War Center actually likes the Total War games.

Most fans of things don't actually like the thing they are fans of.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athropos posted:

The best Rome mod is not EB, or RTR or any of that bullshit, it's Roma Surrectum 2, which is criminally underrated and absolutely amazing. It's a complete graphical and game overhaul with just the right dash of spergy realism, but not too much. The models and textures are incredible, and they added so many new buildings and options to the campaign map. None of it ever felt like bullshit to me and it's single handedly gave me something to do while waiting for Rome 2. Heck, I even wonder how Rome 2 might top this mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Roma_Surrectum_II

A very interesting and informative Spartan campaign let's play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PvySp0P5Do

Here's some trailers for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTKMsv5Zgi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmFTag95nsc

The mod works pretty great even with my Steam version of Rome, which is saying something.
The problem with RS is that it's meant to be played with the recruiting limit off (you can recruit a full slot of units in one turn in a city). This means that the game quickly turns into an atrocious grind where you need to send multiple stacks to face off against multiple stacks of the enemy. Plus, auto garrisons are the tool of the devil.

You CAN play with with one unit per turn recruiting, but the events still happen and good luck facing the 10 stack Cimbri while recruiting one unit per turn.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

canyoneer posted:

Crosspost from video games deal megathread.

I've never played the series before, and am a total dummy. I'm fairly certain that I'll love it, as I enjoy similar games including ones inferior in every way (like Commander: Conquest of the Americas :saddowns:)
Great coupon codes and deal on Greenman Gaming today.
There's an $18 Master pack here or a $33 Grandmaster pack here

I (and most people in this thread, probably) started playing with the original Rome. The game has a few issues, and it's pretty boring to play as anyone who isn't the Romans, but it still holds up well. You won't be annoyed by the clunky interface unless you've played one of the later games. There are a bunch of total conversion mods which are all worth playing, too. I haven't played either expansion, but I've heard they're decent.
-Medieval II doesn't really add a whole bunch; the factions are less varied and there's a lot of not very good additions, like a pope who hates you, and lots of dull busywork with agents. Play it if you like the setting, I guess. The expansion, Kingdoms, adds four new campaigns of varying quality, and it's required to get any of the good mods.
-Empire was a huge letdown when it came out. It was buggy, and the AI was hopeless. All the factions were the same, and there was no need to train anything except for infantry. Since then it's been patched substantially, and has become alright. It's very difficult to mod. Some people say they enjoy the scale of it; honestly, I think you can skip it and go straight to...
-Napoleon started off as an expansion to Empire and ended up becoming its own thing. It's a substantial improvement over Empire; the campaigns are more tightly focused, there's a little more variation in the factions, and it's actually worth using non-infantry. Again, modders can only make minor changes. The Peninsular Campaign (DLC) is good fun, although very different from normal campaigns. The unit DLC is good, I guess, if you already really like the game.
-Shogun II was actually really great on release. There are two major pieces of DLC, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai, which add new campaigns, factions, tech trees, units, etc. and are both worth getting. There are a bunch of unit and faction DLC, which are not at all necessary unless you like the sound of playing as those factions.
-Total War Battles is a phone game ported to PC. It's not very good.
-No idea about Viking: Battle for Asgard.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've been going over the faction descriptions for Rome II and it's occurred to me that many of the factions get a bonus when fighting their own culture type. I think the idea is to push those factions (when they're being played by the AI) towards dominance of their own regions. So, it encourages Macedonia to end up as the dominant power in Greece, without making it completely impossible that some minor faction will end up in charge. The game is biased towards historical accuracy, unlike in Shogun 2 where "major clans" would drop like flies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The only thing that bugs me about turns taking a year (other than the possibility of missing out on seasons, which I like from a purely cosmetic point of view) is that I thought most Generals across the course of the Roman Republic were in their 30s or 40s, outside of a few special cases, which means we might only get 10-20 turns to spend with a General. It's not a dealbreaker by any stretch, but I do like getting attached to my Generals.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The only thing that bugs me about turns taking a year (other than the possibility of missing out on seasons, which I like from a purely cosmetic point of view) is that I thought most Generals across the course of the Roman Republic were in their 30s or 40s, outside of a few special cases, which means we might only get 10-20 turns to spend with a General. It's not a dealbreaker by any stretch, but I do like getting attached to my Generals.
They will probably not follow historical accuracy when it comes to the age of Generals seeing how they this said in the announcement concerning one turn per year:

quote:

We expect characters who survive the challenges laid out before them to survive a good 40 years in play. Obviously there is an element of chance to this, and a character may well die in battle or at the hands of an unscrupulous agent before succumbing to old age, but during their campaign map tenure they will have plenty of opportunity to make a difference to their faction’s endeavours. Furthermore, the intention is to have characters gain experience faster than in Shogun 2, allowing them to reach their fullest potential faster as long as they are deployed consistently and successfully against their foes. Lastly, every general is affiliated with a ‘party’ within their faction, such as one of the major Roman or Carthaginian dynasties or the royal household of an Eastern kingdom and their court rivals: as these characters act around the campaign map or retire to the homeland to scheme, they contribute to their party’s overall influence within the faction, with repercussions that will carry on from one generation to the next.
Which is fine by me since fun is much more important than historical accuracy.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 22, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Krazyface posted:

I (and most people in this thread, probably) started playing with the original Rome.

Speak for yourself, I started playing with the original Shogun :smug: Which means that I got to play what I still consider the best game in the series, Medieval 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

as these characters act around the campaign map or retire to the homeland to scheme, they contribute to their party’s overall influence within the faction, with repercussions that will carry on from one generation to the next.

Okay this sounds awesome, I hope they can pull this off.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
TWC is just salty because they won't be able to pull off a Year of the Four Emperors situation without a mod or ol' evil CA making it a paid DLC or something. I'm sure someone will mod it in and make each turn like 14 hours and 26 minutes or some odd reason.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Cantorsdust posted:

Speak for yourself, I started playing with the original Shogun :smug: Which means that I got to play what I still consider the best game in the series, Medieval 1.

Chivalric Men-at-Arms for life. Beeline to them, spam them, win everything. Medieval 1 really was a spectacular game. Improved so much over the original Shogun, although I adored both of them.

Make Medieval 3 with all the improvements of Shogun 2 and I can die a happy man.

Krazyface posted:

The game is biased towards historical accuracy, unlike in Shogun 2 where "major clans" would drop like flies.

I find in Shogun 2 more often than not the major clans end up as the majority of the remaining large empires (since they do have bonuses that give them advantages over minor clans), although you do still get the odd result where they basically all get wiped out. It's never really bothered me that much, since it's easier to kill minor clans no matter the size (no bonuses!).

canyoneer posted:

Grab the Grand Master pack for sure, it's exceptional value and really gives you the games at their absolute best.

Start with Shogun 2 vanilla or Rise of the Samurai. They are the best games in technical terms and certainly the easiest to get to grips with, as well as being absolutely beautiful. I know some people recommend Rome because it's what they started with, but gaming as a whole has moved on and a lot of things that were acceptable practise then will just upset and frustrate you now (The UI is almost incomprehensible without prior experience or a lot of time reading tooltips.)

BobTheSpy posted:

TWC is a terrible, terrible place and no-one should ever go there. Except for game designers, who should read every post and then do the absolute opposite of what the poster wants. It's a very stark lesson in people not knowing what they want and not being able to explain what they want, because what they say they want is absolutely terrible.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I hope they improve the netcode/data storage for Rome 2. I can't connect to half the non-matchmaking games and I heard rumours of people losing their avatars randomly. :ohdear:

If they manage to do that, I don't care anymore. It's a straight preoder.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
And the final faction is.... EGYPT!

gently caress you Selucids.

e: though there is a mystery ninth faction on the factions page now so they're probably Day 1 DLC.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 22, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

And the final faction is.... EGYPT!

gently caress you Selucids.

e: though there is a mystery ninth faction on the factions page now so they're probably Day 1 DLC.

The tears from the deluded Selucid fanboys will be delicious.

I am certain that Sparta will be one of the day 1 DLCs since they have such a rabid fanbase and the fact that they have mentioned that Spartan Generals will fight on foot, I also hope that Scythia is one of the day 1 DlCs.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 22, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

shalcar posted:

Chivalric Men-at-Arms for life. Beeline to them, spam them, win everything. Medieval 1 really was a spectacular game. Improved so much over the original Shogun, although I adored both of them.

Make Medieval 3 with all the improvements of Shogun 2 and I can die a happy man.

Agreed. Although I was happy enough with just Feudal Men-at-Arms, they were cool as hell by themselves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Billmen and Longbow armies all the way. Easily accessible, anti-everything.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
One of the things that Medieval 1 did best - and which Medieval 2 didn't achieve at all - was the evocation of a sort of dirty, oppressive medieval atmosphere. Medieval 2's Australian development really showed, as you could tell that not a single one of the developers had ever actually seen a castle.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Lord Tywin posted:

The tears from the deluded Selucid fanboys will be delicious.

I am certain that Sparta will be one of the day 1 DLCs since they have such a rabid fanbase and the fact that they have mentioned that Spartan Generals will fight on foot, I also hope that Scythia is one of the day 1 DlCs.

If Lydia isn't a DLC I'll make the most spergy mod to incorporate it. Not sure why, they're just cool I think.

Edit: Although technically they were part of the Seleucid Empire by 300BC so drat :smith:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha there are Selucid fanboys? Sure. Why not.

where's Bactria :qq:

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I'm bummed out the Seleucids arent confirmed yet, I'm a fanboy.

Seleucids own because of the unit selection they have. Pikes, imitation legionaries for your pike wings, heavy cavalry like the cataphracts, armored motherfucking elephants, scythed chariots, easern style archers too iirc. They have the best of every unit type. They also have a cool grey color scheme usually. By mixing both Hellenic and Oriental type armies they are the true sucessors to Alexander's vision and they will CRUSH every other diadochi faction :smug:

What sucks is their starting positon and huge sprawl right at the start of the game. Makes me discouraged sometimes if I want to play as them.

Going back to Roma Surrectum 2, one flaw of the mod is that every unit and their mothers are peltasts or infantry with javelins. You end up with so many medium or heavy peltasts with decent melee capabilities that you need to read the unit descriptions super carefully to figure out if this unit is a real skirmisher with a decent reserve of ammo or a full fledged melee unit with like 2 javelins. Been playing mostly as greek factions and it seems like they all have a form of heavy peltast with mail, shield and sword that can function as an imitation legionnary. I won't complain about the flexibility this gives me though. It's just a bit wierd.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 22, 2013

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Kaal posted:

It's really not that bad. People just get intimidated by the non-English spellings and the script. Start up with one of the easier factions like the Romani so that things will be familiar. Honestly you can pretty much just play it normally, there's only a few significant changes in re city development. Just take it slow.

I really hate the non-English spellings stuff that happens in every mod. It's just confusing and makes everything harder to identify for the sake of "realism". I don't really get the rationale, why does it matter that Carthage is not how it was spelled, it's a translation, it wasn't even originally spelled with our alphabet.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Looks like theyre adding another faction? I guess for DLC.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Shorter Than Some posted:

I really hate the non-English spellings stuff that happens in every mod. It's just confusing and makes everything harder to identify for the sake of "realism". I don't really get the rationale, why does it matter that Carthage is not how it was spelled, it's a translation, it wasn't even originally spelled with our alphabet.

Why do the actors on Rome have English accents? :qqsay:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well we knew it was going to be Egypt, they wouldn't leave them out. Seleucia as DLC would be sensible.

I'd love Bactria but I am sure it will not be.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Ham posted:

A really serious, in depth answer to that which addressed views of history, dialect/accent/region prestige, the way education looks at the past, and class would actually be interesting, for all that it gets sperged on one way or the other.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shorter Than Some posted:

"Realism" gets a pretty bad rap in this thread, but half the point of mods like EB is to explore historical antiquity. Showcasing the languages is part of that. Besides the English version of the unit names are typically included in parentheses, so it's really not that difficult to identify units on the fly. But it certainly is rather intimidating when you first open up the game, which is too bad.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I hope they make Judea such a pain to hold that you will almost be forced to rule it with a client King.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lord Tywin posted:

I hope they make Judea such a pain to hold that you will almost be forced to rule it with a client King.

I wouldn't want to have to fight the Judean People's Front. I hear they have this really badass suicide squadron.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is there any Fall of the Samurai mods which give generals more fun character traits? I find the generals to be super boring and I miss my old perverted crazy commanders from the earlier games.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 22, 2013

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Kaal posted:

"Realism" gets a pretty bad rap in this thread, but half the point of mods like EB is to explore historical antiquity. Showcasing the languages is part of that. Besides the English version of the unit names are typically included in parentheses, so it's really not that difficult to identify units on the fly. But it certainly is rather intimidating when you first open up the game, which is too bad.

I'm more referring to the faction names. When I play It's really annoying to see "some unfamiliar name" has declared war on "some other unfamiliar name" where I then have to check and see who that actually means. I'd much rather have the names we all are familiar with.

I don't actually mind all the historical extras but the language bit seems odd to me, since it strikes me as more consistant with that theme to have them fully translated, as that way we get the same experience as we would if we lived at the time (insofar as a total war game can recreate that experience at all that is).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Thanks all for the purchasing advice. Can't wait to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ham posted:

Didn't the first Rome have American accents for infantry and then British accents for the general and other equite classes? That would be cool if they did it again like that to show the difference between proper and vulgar Latin. I'm pretty sure though that :911: will get all uppity about it though.