Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

This is interesting. The other day Murderion made the astute observation that the Telegraph cartoons tend to present the Government (or at least the Tories in Government), even when being critical, as the victims of overwhelming circumstance. While this cartoon isn't exactly Bellian-levels of the Chancellor in a bondage suit loving over the poor, it shows him on his own and without any outside forces intervening, while implying that everything he has tried so far has been an abject failure and that he is completely out of ideas.

Yeah but it's still 'gosh darn it he's plucky and trying!' It's more like a realisation that the budget is going to be poo poo and things are going to continue to be poo poo, so we have poor poor Gideon trying his best to pull it out, but the little escaping moth from his pocket shows that he's broke and he has nothing to work with.

Which is still disingenuous as gently caress because he's not the victim of circumstance, he's a victim of his own 'work' and his own policies. He's the one who decided to slash spending, borrow as little as possible despite it being the cheapest it's ever been, and to stubbornly focus on THE DEFICIT while the obvious consequences grinds the economy down more and more.

His job is literally being the economic caretaker, using his control to plan and manage flows in capital and productivity through policy and the government's fiscal actions. The results of his caretaking are a massive failure, but he's constantly portrayed as though it's somehow nothing to do with him, and that ~conditions~ are making his job hard. Try loving up at your job and making that excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but it's still 'gosh darn it he's plucky and trying!' It's more like a realisation that the budget is going to be poo poo and things are going to continue to be poo poo, so we have poor poor Gideon trying his best to pull it out, but the little escaping moth from his pocket shows that he's broke and he has nothing to work with.

Which is still disingenuous as gently caress because he's not the victim of circumstance, he's a victim of his own 'work' and his own policies. He's the one who decided to slash spending, borrow as little as possible despite it being the cheapest it's ever been, and to stubbornly focus on THE DEFICIT while the obvious consequences grinds the economy down more and more.

His job is literally being the economic caretaker, using his control to plan and manage flows in capital and productivity through policy and the government's fiscal actions. The results of his caretaking are a massive failure, but he's constantly portrayed as though it's somehow nothing to do with him, and that ~conditions~ are making his job hard. Try loving up at your job and making that excuse

I think your anger might be a little misplaced here. I'm not trying to defend the Telegraph (or the Chancellor for that matter) but rather noting how the implication of the cartoons has changed.

For example, in these the Chancellor hasn't actually done anything wrong- although they are loosely critical in the sense that they suggest he is unable/incapable of dealing with the problem at hand, being shown as indecisive/'paralysed' in two of them:

This next one is a little more ambiguous, and I think points towards the possibility of a more critical attitude. We see that the Chancellor lacks the necessary resources for dealing with the recession, but interestingly this can be read in two ways. There is the anti-Labour/victim of circumstance 'it's not his fault it's the lack of money' reading, but it can also be read as suggesting that the Chancellor himself lacks the necessary resources (i.e. he should be replaced). This is further added to by the fact that he is shown in his bedclothes; he is caught unprepared, not ready to properly address the problem (being the Telegraph it doesn't make the point that his policies have been a major factor in the recession, but that's not the issue here):

The latest one is the most critical to date; he has "nothing to work with" because all his tricks illusions have died on their arse. That is, there is an implicit criticism of Government economic policy here- especially notable coming from the Telegraph. His act isn't just poorly-resourced like the armoury and the animals haven't been killed by the debt-moth or some other representation of an external force. The cartoon simply shows a terrible magician at work and the sense of pity that is evident in the rugby and walrus cartoons is notably absent. Now, this doesn't mean the Telegraph has suddenly become a less-terrible newspaper (though, in fairness, some of its arts coverage is very good), but I think we can all be happy when the right begins to eat itself.

Niric fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 20, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

The leaders of the three main parties have come up with a new set of press regulations which are not proving popular with newspaper Editors.

This is meant to be horrifying but I wouldn't mind seeing this happen in real life- it's not like Hugh Grant could make our papers worse than they already are.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 20, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Maybe we can ask Hugh Grant to get Mac fired

Niric posted:

I think your anger might be a little misplaced here. I'm not trying to defend the Telegraph (or the Chancellor for that matter) but rather noting how the implication of the cartoons has changed.

For example, in these the Chancellor hasn't actually done anything wrong- although they are loosely critical in the sense that they suggest he is unable/incapable of dealing with the problem at hand, being shown as indecisive/'paralysed' in two of them:

Oh wasn't venting at you, sorry if it came across that way. I was just pointing out the Torygraph is consistent in presenting Osborne as fighting against overwhelming 'external forces', instead of facing the consequences of his own actions. It depicts him as a passive reactor instead of the most active participant , so he's framed as the plucky hero trying to turn things around instead of someone who's actively creating this situation. I mean I agree the tone is different in that last one, but following the theme of the others it's still 'plucky George trying his best', although he's totally impoverished (as though refusing to borrow isn't entirely a policy choice he made). Maybe there's more pessimism, but it still seems to be squarely placing Osborne outside of any circle of blame. A victim of circumstance :(

I mean here's my reading of the others that follows the exact same 'he's doing his best although the odds have been stacked against him' theme:

He's being pulled in every direction, everyone has conflicting advice and demands, almost as though there's no correct choice to make! And if there is, clearly these people don't know what they're talking about. Poor George is trying to stay focused and do his best

Plucky George looking stoic and focused - he's about to be crushed by those exterior forces he controls in real life (never mind the fact that borrowing offsets tax cuts so they're not opposed), but there he his with his mind on the job like a true hero, protecting the budget from powerful, thuggish influences that would ruin everything. He's going to get hurt but he's doing his best

I've never seen George Osborne with his sleeves rolled up in my life, but here he is looking like a man putting the hard work in and hoping to see the fruits of his labours. Things must finally be looking up now, right? Oh no, external influences have ruined all of George's hard graft! 'D'oh!' he says, 'foiled again like a working class sitcom character who just can't catch a break'. Poor George, no matter how hard he tries things just never go his way. But he does try

Here's George depicted as someone stepping into the hero role, trying to fix an external situation (in this case a recession which is independently terrorising people). As though the entire situation is new to him, he opens the armoury to see what weapons someone else has made available to him, and - oh no - it's a tiny catapult. George is surprised and dismayed! How could he have known he had nothing to work with? Once again outside influences have conspired against him. He'll try his best, but once again fate has dealt him a bad hand. Poor George

Following that line (which is how I've basically been seeing all of the Telegraph cartoons) I don't really see the magician one as being very different, he's still the hapless hero with nothing to work with, doomed by circumstance. There's no real implication that any of it is his fault, which is where I really take issue with their tone. It could be a serial comic strip titled 'Poor George' and nobody would bat an eyelid. As far as the Right eating itself goes, you could easily subtitle that strip 'Labour's Mess'

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 20, 2013

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

baka kaba posted:

I mean here's my reading of the others that follows the exact same 'he's doing his best although the odds have been stacked against him' theme:

I appreciate with these cartoons there is a lot of ambiguity but I think you're reading what you want to read into it.

quote:

He's being pulled in every direction, everyone has conflicting advice and demands, almost as though there's no correct choice to make! And if there is, clearly these people don't know what they're talking about. Poor George is trying to stay focused and do his best

He's an immovable beast, stuck out of his element, and wants to bask (I know his being a walrus here is due to a different news story)

quote:

Plucky George looking stoic and focused - he's about to be crushed by those exterior forces he controls in real life (never mind the fact that borrowing offsets tax cuts so they're not opposed), but there he his with his mind on the job like a true hero, protecting the budget from powerful, thuggish influences that would ruin everything. He's going to get hurt but he's doing his best

Plucky George looking stoic and focused, but completely stuck to the spot, looking for a way out. He's not big enough or strong enough to handle the situation he finds himself in.

quote:

I've never seen George Osborne with his sleeves rolled up in my life, but here he is looking like a man putting the hard work in and hoping to see the fruits of his labours. Things must finally be looking up now, right? Oh no, external influences have ruined all of George's hard graft! 'D'oh!' he says, 'foiled again like a working class sitcom character who just can't catch a break'. Poor George, no matter how hard he tries things just never go his way. But he does try

His sleeves are rolled up, he's ready to tackle the problem, but he's totally failed to appreciate what the external situation is and is woefully unprepared for it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Day after budget day cartoons! :neckbeard:

Guardian:

The chancellor delivered help for homebuyers, motorists and beer drinkers in an attempt to temper the economic gloom.

Rowson was doing the main one today but since it was day after the budget Bell did a little one too! :)

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Express:

This is so badly drawn I can't get my loving head around the police car. Is it meant to be crashed / broken glass, or is that some really badly drawn reflection (which doesn't match) of the tree.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 21, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

Rowson was doing the main one today but since it was day after the budget Bell did a little one too! :)
Little? Wasn't it on the front page? (Just got a quick look in Tesco so might have been a supplement.)

quote:

This is so badly drawn I can't get my loving head around the police car. Is it meant to be crashed / broken glass, or is that some really badly drawn reflection (which doesn't match) of the tree.
Think it's meant to be trees, but yeah, gently caress it. Well done for finding the only possible positive spin on the budget though (frozen hikes on petrol which will actually help me, and the reduction in duty on beer which sadly won't).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

The chancellor delivered help for homebuyers, motorists and beer drinkers in an attempt to temper the economic gloom.

Except he didn't, because his plan is actually designed to help buy-to-let landlords acquire even more property and worsen the housing bubble still further.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Little? Wasn't it on the front page? (Just got a quick look in Tesco so might have been a supplement.)

Oh not seen the Guardian today, but I kind of meant not a full cartoon, as in its quite background etc. However thats loving awesome that it was on the front page! :D

Jedit posted:

Except he didn't, because his plan is actually designed to help buy-to-let landlords acquire even more property and worsen the housing bubble still further.

Yeah, its just a copy paste from Guardian site. Whenever there is a title / cap for a cartoon I tend to paste it.

Also holy gently caress, ya just read into it and what the gently caress. Renters are hosed, landlords are rolling in money. :suicide:

All I really got out the budget is 1p off beer. What the hell else was in it? I heard something about bragging about 0.1% growth or something aswell lol. :suicide:

Edit:

Kegluneq posted:

Think it's meant to be trees, but yeah, gently caress it. Well done for finding the only possible positive spin on the budget though (frozen hikes on petrol which will actually help me, and the reduction in duty on beer which sadly won't).

I really don't think the 1p off beer will effect anyone apart from wetherspoons and people who run pubs etc. Like if you had 1p off your beer in a pub you'd generally would just throw it in a charity box or something. So the frozen on petrol sounds like Osborne had to pick something that would be like a poo poo sandwich, 1p off beer! *poo poo tons of poo poo* frozen hike on petrol! :smith:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 21, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

I really don't think the 1p off beer will effect anyone apart from wetherspoons and people who run pubs etc. Like if you had 1p off your beer in a pub you'd generally would just throw it in a charity box or something. So the frozen on petrol sounds like Osborne had to pick something that would be like a poo poo sandwich, 1p off beer! *poo poo tons of poo poo* frozen hike on petrol! :smith:
Oh yeah, definitely. Since I have gently caress all time/money for pubbing these days I miss out even on that bit of charity :smith: At least we didn't have a repeat of (petrol stations raise price of petrol by 2p a day prior) "2p price cut to petrol!"...

Pretty sure that Bell cartoon was on the front page - in place of a photo.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Awesome :) ya I've not really been around shops today so missed it. :(

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Kegluneq posted:

It sure was!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Ministers fail to clarify whether scheme to help first-time buyers could be exploited by those wanting more properties.

Osborne, bum nosed BDSM slug (or is he a snail, since he has a house on his back?!) or is he a bum nosed bdsm pig in a slug outfit pretending to be a snail?!

Telegraph:

:ughh:

Indy:

Master Bates! :hawaaaafap:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘Miss Jones. Call building maintenance. I keep hearing slurping noises.’

Daily Express:

Paul Thomas is so loving offensive it hurts, this is a new level of lazy. It seems to be an old image with the newspaper board redone. :suicide:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 22, 2013

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

:ughh:

I'm not a fan of Salmond or independence, but this is Express levels of terrible.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Niric posted:

I'm not a fan of Salmond or independence, but this is Express levels of terrible.

Bob is pretty terrible, he is 90% miss 10% hit and the hit is quite weak. Second post in the OP is a collection of some of his stuff and about other stuff he done (he use to do stuff for the Guardian before working for the Telegraph lol).

Eg;

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Osborne, bum nosed BDSM slug (or is he a snail, since he has a house on his back?!) or is he a bum nosed bdsm pig in a slug outfit pretending to be a snail?!
Yes.

quote:

Daily Mail:
Typical woman's job according to the Mail: secretary. :eng99:

quote:

Daily Express:

Paul Thomas is so loving offensive it hurts, this is a new level of lazy. It seems to be an old image with the newspaper board redone. :suicide:
It's not a terrible joke - it's not a joke at all. It's barely even a statement. loving hell that was awful.

Edit: Obama as fried chicken? What the hell is this referring to, and how did he get away with it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

As an American, I do not understand the symbolism of Osborne's red briefcase. What is that specifically referencing?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As an American, I do not understand the symbolism of Osborne's red briefcase. What is that specifically referencing?

The red briefcase is usually used to hold the details of the upcoming financial year's budget. It's also good for identifying tossers.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's a standard ministerial document box used by government bureaucrats to transport official papers (so what Manic_Misanthrope said basically); the one with the Budget in just tends to get the most press attention.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It has its own little section on wikipedia, where you can learn about its history. It's one of those strange old traditions that has become a symbol in British politics.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

The red briefcase is usually used to hold the details of the upcoming financial year's budget. It's also good for identifying tossers.

Yeah, just to expand to this a little, its called the 'Red Box' which is used to carry government documents, they cost between £385 to £750 each, weights between 2kg to 3kg as its made from slow grown pine lined with lead and black satin. It opens and locks differently to a briefcase in many ways. There is also ones called 'Black Box' which are super top secret which only the Prime Minister, Private Secretary , intelligence officials can use. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

(This is the famous Gladstone Budget Box, made around 1860.)

Edit: Edit gently caress beat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scarfe of the week

and more of thread favourite Stephen Collins, this time for Prospect Magazine

It's even political and all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kegluneq posted:

Typical woman's job according to the Mail: secretary. :eng99:

Oh, for gently caress's sake - this is a cartoon criticising the government for attacking the poor. The cartoon would be moronic if it depicted a woman in a high paying job because those women can afford full time child care. The women who are affected are the secretaries and clerical workers of the world.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake - this is a cartoon criticising the government for attacking the poor. The cartoon would be moronic if it depicted a woman in a high paying job because those women can afford full time child care. The women who are affected are the secretaries and clerical workers of the world.
Which is fair enough (a lot of Mail readers will also fall into that category) but it's still a cliche.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is brilliant.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe of the week

:swoon: Stephen Collins! :swoon:

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on Cyprus and the eurozone.

quote:

Efforts are underway to restructure the country's struggling banks, with much pressure coming from Germany.

Chris Riddell on how the chancellor has donned his decorating overalls to deal with a stalled economy.
For some reason this came out a day early.

Stephen Collins! :3:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This may be embarrassingly ignorant of me but who the hell is that meant to be in the last panel?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crameltonian posted:

This may be embarrassingly ignorant of me but who the hell is that meant to be in the last panel?

Angela Merkel.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Given the lefty-ness of everyone here I imagine this is fairly well known, but just in case anyone's missing out this is a reference to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. It's an early 20th century novel about a group of house decorators which draws attention to how they are systematically kept in a state of poverty by the employers who grow rich off their labours. Needless to say, it's something of a leftie classic.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Niric posted:

Given the lefty-ness of everyone here I imagine this is fairly well known, but just in case anyone's missing out this is a reference to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. It's an early 20th century novel about a group of house decorators which draws attention to how they are systematically kept in a state of poverty by the employers who grow rich off their labours. Needless to say, it's something of a leftie classic.

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist is one of my famous books, my dad bought me it when it was 16 in hardbook as my birthday present and I feel like a shithead for missing this. :smith:

But I love you for pointing this out! <3

Radio 4 did a drama reading of it a couple of years ago which had some (new) labour, (old) labour and some trade unionists playing the characters in it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bydgp

quote:

Actors included Andrew Lincoln (Owen), Johnny Vegas (Easton), Timothy Spall (Crass), Paul Whitehouse (Old Misery), John Prescott (Policeman), Bill Bailey (Rushton), Kevin Eldon (Slyme), and Tony Haygarth (Philpot). This adaptation was nominated for a Sony Radio Drama Award in 2009

Its no longer online. :( But there is torrents around of it I think, Bill Bailey was amazing in it, John Prescott politically I'm not a huge fan as he was more then happy to go from Old labour to New labour quite happy because of Blair era etc but he was quite good aswell in it, but as everyone says with films, the book is always better.

I hate myself for not picking it up, guess it was because I just woke up when I posted it. :(

Anyway Niric I love you. :3:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 23, 2013

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Niric posted:

Furthermore, the chancellor's family business is posh wallpaper company Osborne & Little.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mousepractice posted:

Furthermore, the chancellor's family business is posh wallpaper company Osborne & Little.

Holy poo poo layers within layers.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

It just writes itself, doesn't it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks for the info on the Red Box, folks. I really enjoy symbolism.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Ben Jennings on immigration policy.
Leaders of all of the major parties have tried to curry favour with the electorate by proposing a crackdown on immigration.

Telegraph:

:thejoke: It's cold, its meant to be spring! LOL!

Indy:

Daily Express:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

drat, this hit home pretty hard for me. My European boyfriend wants to live and work in this country but he's getting increasingly unsettled by the tone of the rhetoric on immigration from all sides- there aren't exactly many voices speaking up in favour of immigrants these days.

quote:

Indy:

This was briefly very confusing for me, I've spent far too much time hearing the conservative definition of the 'race card'.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
In fairness to the snow cartoons, it has been a loving miserable spring on top of a loving miserable year. Wettest year in over a century and then straight in to the coldest March for 50 years. It's freezing loving cold, I haven't seen the sun in four months, and the forecast is for more of the same for two weeks, after which it will warm up slightly but only 'cos there's going to be some Atlantic lows sweeping in, bringing more.mother.loving.rain.

Emigrating to California sounds like a pretty attractive option at this point.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zephro posted:

Emigrating to California sounds like a pretty attractive option at this point.

Is that some kind of reverse asylum-seeking? The weather's bad, time to piss off to the third world, at least it's warm?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Crane Fist posted:

Is that some kind of reverse asylum-seeking? The weather's bad, time to piss off to the third world, at least it's warm?

Nah, it's your standard expat move. Go somewhere warm (where they have massive prawns, Stu) and live in little British enclaves without ever learning the local language or interacting with local people, all the while writing to the Daily Mail to complain about immigrants doing the exact same thing back in the old country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Daktar posted:

Nah, it's your standard expat move. Go somewhere warm (where they have massive prawns, Stu) and live in little British enclaves without ever learning the local language or interacting with local people, all the while writing to the Daily Mail to complain about immigrants doing the exact same thing back in the old country.

Do they actually have British enclaves in the US? Are you allowed to tell outsiders? :allears:

• Locked thread