Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

wattershed posted:

coffee at 7-11

:colbert:

What a terrible snipe. I just recommended Ayinger Brau Weiss and Allagash White when I went out to lunch with my mother, and she loved em. I got Flower Power and Cape Ann Dead Eye double IPA. Every beer owned.

Also picked up 4 bottles of Jack's Abby Hoponius Union for the game later and am planning to hit up their brewery for some barrel-aged Framinghammer baltic porter :toot:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

ShaneB posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong that I live in Chicago and that post didn't excite me in any way, shape, or form. :(

Don't feel bad, I'd probably go to try the Laird's and the Stagg aged, but the rest of them don't really appeal to me.Calling out the Aviary for hipsterism isn't really fair as they really are on the cutting edge of cocktails, but the press release isn't exactly helping their case.

Also, I've only had 2 beers since Jan 1, as a solidarity move with my wife who's expecting our first child in July. I get one free pass and I'm taking it next weekend for a bottle share at my buddy's house.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saint Darwin posted:

I'd say my favorite harder to find beers are Arrogant Bastard, Back in Black (21 Amendment), Old Speckled Hen, Saranac IPA. If I'm drinking on the cheap, Guinness and Yuengling.

I just don't know where to go from here.

Find a place by you that sells mixed-six packs (or singles or make-your-own six packs or whatever they call it) and just pick up stuff that looks interesting to you or is a style that you do like. It costs more per bottle that way but you get to try multiple things without throwing down for a six pack you may hate. My opinion is the best way to find what you like is to try to drink everything... Then check out the big beer sites (RateBeer and BeerAdvocate). Make note of what breweries seem to be available around you and see what rates well. These aren't going to always be to your taste (obviously) and ratings are always warped by hype, but I've found it's very rare that a rating is really far off from my personal opinion (I'm looking at you, Black Tuesday...)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChickenArise posted:

You're near me, I think? What bar is this? I am especially curious about the Aged Red. Also Rye-on-Rye is great.

IIRC you're in NOVA/DC, I am not up there anymore. This is Meddlesome Moth in Dallas for their April anniversary week.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

BoredByThis posted:

Chicago:

On Tuesday, March 26th the Aviary will be unveiling a collaboration more than 2 years in the making.

We sought out one of the most innovative, respected and maniacal beer minds on the planet- Belgian gypsy brewer, Evil Twin.

The exercise:
Step 1) Start with a truly amazing brew. One that beer fanatics would wrestle each other over. We landed on a Belgian Blonde that plays equally well on its own
and as a rock solid foundation for this project.
Step 2) Scour the globe for 9 of the most well crafted, rare & delicious spirits.
Step 3) Procure used barrels from said spirit producers.*
Step 4) Ship barrels to Belgium.
Step 5) Place amazing beer in barrels. Wait.
Step 6) Continue waiting....and waiting...and waiting. Over 1 year.
Step 7) Come to the Aviary to taste through the entire flight. Save room for the unveiling of Beer #10 in the series.
Step 8) Redefine the word "Epic".

1 year + Belgian Ale aged in barrels that held:
Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges
Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
Elijah Craig 12yr
George T. Stagg 2011
Parker's Heritage Collection
Plantation Rum
Casa Noble Extra Anejo
Clynelish
Laphroaig

And next Tuesday we will unveil the tenth beer in the series as well.
And don't forget that Jeppe will be joining us that night as well!

Tickets will be released this afternoon, they are limited to around 100.

More details to follow.

I can't find anything online, where are you seeing this?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

wattershed posted:

Arrogant Bastard is hard to find in some places? I literally saw some in the cooler this morning as I was getting coffee at 7-11. Own backyard, locally ubiquitous, etc etc etc, but still...

Sorry by "harder to find" I mean harder than Sam Adams.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

I can't find anything online, where are you seeing this?

I randomly found it from someone else linking The Aviary's facebook from twitter: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=556047807760341&id=116137495084710

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Saint Darwin posted:

It's just that you listed ones I can find at any store that's got better stock than a case of Coors, and sometimes in places that even have that and a few 6 packs of "better" beers.

Are there places that release more consistently good beers? Probably! I want to find them! What is an as-easy-to-find-but-better brewery to you, personally?

edit: What do you think of Stone? They seem to be as easy to find as those. Or Dogfish Head? Or Heavy Seas if it even makes it out to wherever you are? Guess where I live :rolleyes:

Where are you? DFH is Delaware and Heavy Seas is Maryland so I'm assuming you are in my area. I grew up on the Delmarva peninsula and currently live in Philly. Therefore I shall let the schooling commence:

Victory is a PA brewery and is readily available throughout the mid-atlantic. Beers to look out for are Hop Devil and Prima Pils.
Philadelphia Brewing Company is starting to be distributed further. Walt Wit, Kenzinger, and Joe Porter are probably their best. Some people like Fleur de Lehigh but it tastes like perfume to me.
Yards definitely is around. The Philadelphia Pale Ale is pretty tasty. Most of their beers are pretty good. Except I hate Brawler, but everyone else seems to love it.
Evolution is a relatively new brewery that operates out of Salisbury that makes some killer beer. They are kinda blowing up the mid-atlantic. I hope they make it big because I was there when they had a tiny rear end brew house in a garage in Hebron and they were already making really great beer. Definitely worth checking out, and definitely available in the area.
Burley Oak is in Berlin and if you can make it there they occasionally have something interesting on tap.
DuClaw is another Maryland brewery that I've started seeing a lot of lately. They can be hit or miss, but at least they're local! Try some of their beer! You might like it!
Flying Dog is in Maryland. They're literally in every liquor store on the east coast.

There are tons of local beers worth checking out. This thread is just mostly inhabited by midwest and west coast posters.

And this list doesn't even scratch the surface of the out of state beers that are available to you. But if you want to find those you've got to identify a decent shop near you. Where are you exactly?

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 21, 2013

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

Also Ubik, we were talking about this beer one day a few weeks ago, but West Lakeview has Kama Citra in bottles.

Oh poo poo. Maybe I'll make a stop over there tonight. :) Wonder if they have any of the other BH stuff in stock.

As for Evil Twin, I've always thought Jeppe's beers were pretty solid but generally not worth the astronomical price tags. But I was at Fanø Bryghus the day he and Ryan got some of those special barrels, and I'd love to try some of those beers. Doubt I could afford those tickets, though. :v: Also, they mistakenly list both Jeppe and the brewery he brewed with as Belgian. Both Jeppe and the brewery (Fanø Bryghus) are Danish.

Which reminds me, I was in NYC last week with my boyfriend, and we made a stop at Tørst, Jeppe's new bar in Brooklyn. Very minimalistic, elegant decor and atmosphere, with 21 rare or unusual beers - mostly Evil Twin and De Molen at the moment - on tap. The beer was good, the service was decent, and the company was excellent. I chatted with a brewer visiting from Israel, and a trio who was crazy enough to spend the money on Cantillon Blåbær shared a bit with me. :3: The bottle list is filled with rare or expensive beers but is comically expensive, so if you can drag a crazy rich relative there I recommend taking advantage of it. :v: It's also the only place in the US I've EVER had authentic Danish rugbrød, fresh-baked even. I recommend Tørst, but dear god be careful of your wallet.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 21, 2013

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ubik posted:

As for Evil Twin, I've always thought Jeppe's beers were pretty solid but generally not worth the astronomical price tags. But I was at Fanø Bryghus the day he and Ryan got some of those special barrels, and I'd love to try some of those beers.

I'm sure they are good, but I can't understand why the prices are so high. It is fun to drink expensive, high quality beers, but everything I've had from them hasn't been so appreciably good as to justify its exorbitant price. He seems to be in town here with Westbrook pretty frequently. I don't know, I'm just not enamored with his stuff generally. He's treated like some kind of wunderkind, but I don't get the hype.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

LeeMajors posted:

He's treated like some kind of wunderkind, but I don't get the hype.

Frankly, I have a bit of an ethical problem with gypsy/contract brewers who get hailed as amazing innovators and savants, and showered with praise and money, when the poor schlub who actually brewed the loving beer gets no credit. Guys like Jeppe and Mikkeller may create good beer, but I honestly don't think they deserve all the praise that they get when they make their bones on the backs of guys like... well, me.

I seriously don't think you should call yourself a brewer unless you're the one actually cutting open dozens of bags of malt, operating the brewhouse, wrangling the yeast, filling barrels and/or CIPing the fermenters. Contracting out every bit of your labor doesn't make you a brewer, it makes you a marketer.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ubik posted:

Frankly, I have a bit of an ethical problem with gypsy/contract brewers who get hailed as amazing innovators and savants, and showered with praise and money, when the poor schlub who actually brewed the loving beer gets no credit. Guys like Jeppe and Mikkeller may create good beer, but I honestly don't think they deserve all the praise that they get when they make their bones on the backs of guys like... well, me.

I seriously don't think you should call yourself a brewer unless you're the one actually cutting open dozens of bags of malt, operating the brewhouse, wrangling the yeast, filling barrels and/or CIPing the fermenters. Contracting out every bit of your labor doesn't make you a brewer, it makes you a marketer.

Yep. I was thinking of treading into that water, but decided not to. He's a designer, not a brewer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is like complaining that Wolfgang Puck isn't a real chef because when I go to one of his restaurants, he's not the one slapping the meat on the grilles.

Also, Apple gets none of the credit for their products, just those suicidal Chinese workers.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BoredByThis posted:

Also, I've only had 2 beers since Jan 1, as a solidarity move with my wife who's expecting our first child in July. I get one free pass and I'm taking it next weekend for a bottle share at my buddy's house.

This is awesome. You are awesome.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Fair enough. Some people drink beer to get drunk, and I give them the same look. I drink coffee to wake my rear end up, and it's a zero-calorie morning beverage. I have no excuse :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ubik posted:

I don't really understand the point of it either or, for that matter, why other brewers put up with some guy who wants to wander around and avoid investing any capital.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is anyone having trouble getting any Firestone Sucaba? I don't know about the rarity of the beer, but the few shops that I frequent tell me it's a bit hard to get. Although, I stumbled upon another shop today that had 3 cases of the stuff, anyone need any help getting some?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Sly Fox just changed the can game. I seriously think this is the greatest innovation to on-the-go beer drinking that I have ever seen. No need to carry cups around, I can simply pop the top and not sacrifice aroma. I love craft cans for the hiking I do in the summer and this makes them even better. I'll be buying a case at least.

Onto my next rave, New Glarus Back 40 Bock is the epitome of what I want to drink all Spring. I love having Troegenator but it's too malty and too much alcohol to drink all day. I love how fruity it is, yet balanced nicely by a firm sweet malt base. I love bocks though, they've become my favorite style.

Edit: Okay one more rave/rant. First off why is Maharaja hitting the shelves of New Jersey 2 months after bottling? It's still fantastic though. Lots of citrus and tropical aromas on the nose. The body is thick and sweet with a strong bitterness to it. I absolutely love this beer. What are some similar IIPAs to this? I prefer these big malty IIPAs and they seem to be harder and harder to find.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 22, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That... kind of owns. The new can type I mean.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
That's awesome, I wonder if they have some exclusive patent on that.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is there a good website for keeping a log of the beers you've drunk/want to drink? Is beeradvocate good for that sort of thing?

Tantric
Dec 4, 2003
I use the untappd app on my android phone.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah untappd is exactly what you want; plus, Achievements!

Apropos of nothing, the top 2 things I don't like about beer in Oregon:
1. No Odell
2. No Left Hand. :mad: Someone brought in some un-nitro Milk Stout earlier and I just about died of excess bliss.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 22, 2013

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Apropos of nothing, the top 2 things I don't like about beer in Oregon:
1. No Odell
2. No Left Hand. :mad: Someone brought in some un-nitro Milk Stout earlier and I just about died of excess bliss.

Dude you need to move out of that lovely beer wasteland

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I was browsing around Kickstarter and stumbled upon the Tapit Cap, a sealed, CO2 pressurized growler cap with a tap on it.

This is awesome, and I'm really pretty surprised that no one else has already done this. I mean, there's a handful of simple air-pump growler tap caps out there, but none that would actually keep the beer fresh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schpyder posted:

So I was browsing around Kickstarter and stumbled upon the Tapit Cap, a sealed, CO2 pressurized growler cap with a tap on it.

This is awesome, and I'm really pretty surprised that no one else has already done this. I mean, there's a handful of simple air-pump growler tap caps out there, but none that would actually keep the beer fresh.

Pretty neat idea I guess but I don't have $40 plus consumables worth of problems consuming a growler in 1 or 2 sittings.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Schpyder posted:

it's gonna be cool when people start blowing up growlers in their kitchens

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mahoning posted:

This is like complaining that Wolfgang Puck isn't a real chef because when I go to one of his restaurants, he's not the one slapping the meat on the grilles.

Also, Apple gets none of the credit for their products, just those suicidal Chinese workers.
No it's actually not very much like either of those things. But thanks for trying. I'm mostly with Ubik on this one - gypsy brewers are a neat concept, but I'd like to see more recognition for the brewery that did the actual work. Just mentioning the brewery's name in big type somewhere on the bottle would be a nice start.

For San Diego types, tomorrow Lost Abbey releases Sede Vacante. It's a barleywine type thing, and LA has already started making excuses for it being nearly still. Apparently :spergin: TommeThe DOBO prefers his barleywines less carbonated. Thanks for clearing that up Lost Abbey; we thought you were just terrible at making things fizz.

I'm taking a buddy to SD for his birthday, so we'll drop by and give Sede Vacante a taste. At $35/bottle it'll need to be great to justify purchasing any to take home.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

I'm mostly with Ubik on this one - gypsy brewers are a neat concept, but I'd like to see more recognition for the brewery that did the actual work. Just mentioning the brewery's name in big type somewhere on the bottle would be a nice start.

Evil Twin does (always? usually?) print where the beer was brewed, though you do have to look for it. I'm far more likely to try their stuff brewed at Westbrook than anywhere else because it turns out that Westbrook brews all of their best stuff:

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/westbrook-brewing/12402/

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

bartolimu posted:

No it's actually not very much like either of those things. But thanks for trying. I'm mostly with Ubik on this one - gypsy brewers are a neat concept, but I'd like to see more recognition for the brewery that did the actual work. Just mentioning the brewery's name in big type somewhere on the bottle would be a nice start.

The restaurant comparison is valid. The executive chef at a large restaurant isn't preparing the food, he's just designing the menu and taking care of other restaurant duties. In the case of someone like Wolfgang Puck, he's literally not even on the site. He's just designing the menu (potentially in conjunction with the executive chef) and leaving it in their hands to execute it.

However, the work is skilled work, and to pull it off you need to be incredibly talented. And, for example, if you are the sous chef at Vetri or Daniel you get a lot of credit.

And I definitely do agree that it would be nice to see the same sort of recognition for the brewers who are executing the skilled labor portion of the brewing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Evil Twin does (always? usually?) print where the beer was brewed, though you do have to look for it. I'm far more likely to try their stuff brewed at Westbrook than anywhere else because it turns out that Westbrook brews all of their best stuff:

yeah, well, they also brewed a bunch of poo poo that gushed everywhere and filled kegs that had to be returned, so...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Beer brewers can be replaced by minimally trained prep cooks or minimum wage laborers, right? Good thing there's no art or skill actually involved it's just following a recipe much like making Jello.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Saint Darwin posted:

Beer brewers can be replaced by minimally trained prep cooks or minimum wage laborers, right? Good thing there's no art or skill actually involved it's just following a recipe much like making Jello.

Are you really trying to say that some Applebee's chef could cut it in a 5 star restaurant? Really?

I'm not saying I agree with the analogy at all, but you're so wrong that I can't believe you would say that with a straight face.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 22, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Midorka posted:

Onto my next rave, New Glarus Back 40 Bock is the epitome of what I want to drink all Spring. I love having Troegenator but it's too malty and too much alcohol to drink all day. I love how fruity it is, yet balanced nicely by a firm sweet malt base. I love bocks though, they've become my favorite style.

I must be weird but when I shared a bottle of Back 40, everyone thought it was overly malty and very bitter. Granted, it might have been the store I bought it from; they had a make your own six pack and there was one bottle of the Back 40 (on a higher shelf near the back) and I put it in there because I hadn't had it before. Guess I'll have to pick up another bottle and see if I just got an old one.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Midorka posted:

Are you really trying to say that some Applebee's chef could cut it in a 5 star restaurant? Really?

I'm not saying I agree with the analogy at all, but you're so wrong that I can't believe you would say that with a straight face.

sarcasm, man

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Midorka posted:

I went overboard with the sarcasm. I think that both the brewery and the brewers themselves both deserve a lot of recognition when they create a product.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My buddy in Cleveland just picked up rose de gambrinus from a gas station. Welp.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

americanzero4128 posted:

I must be weird but when I shared a bottle of Back 40, everyone thought it was overly malty and very bitter. Granted, it might have been the store I bought it from; they had a make your own six pack and there was one bottle of the Back 40 (on a higher shelf near the back) and I put it in there because I hadn't had it before. Guess I'll have to pick up another bottle and see if I just got an old one.

My bottle was about 6 months old and even then it was drat near the perfect bock. I highly recommend it again.

Saint Darwin posted:

I went overboard with the sarcasm. I think that both the brewery and the brewers themselves both deserve a lot of recognition when they create a product.

Got ya, sometimes it's hard to tell online.

In off-topic news, I learned that if you ctrl+i or b it will put instant italics/bold. Nice.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ShaneB posted:

My buddy in Cleveland just picked up rose de gambrinus from a gas station. Welp.

Probably god's way of making him feel better about living in Cleveland. But thats awesome hahaha.

Decided on what I'm doing in GR next week. Starting at Founders, then hitting Brewery Vivant, then dropping the car off and walking to Harmony. I'm pretty excited. Especially since the day before is Haymarket and then the weekend my brother is coming into town so we'll be hitting at least Revolution and Half Acre Tap Room.
Then I'm detoxing for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
From an industrial background I find it kind of interesting the personal involvement and potentially egos involved when a product is seen as arty or whatever you want to call it.

For example, the dude on the toilet paper line at Georgia Pacific, who is no less skilled than a prep chef or assistant brewer, probably doesn't give a second thought that the TP made on extra line capacity is going to say Kirkland Signature instead of GP.