Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I can't be the only one with a launch evo 3d and a contract that ends in april. Both the s4 and the delayed htc one should be out, what are you guys choosing?

Honestly, I might grab an S3 off craigslist and wait to see what next year has to offer? I'm not overly impressed with the One or S4 and I'm not sure if I want to extend my contract for one of them. I've hosed up my last 2 choices with the Pre and then the 3d and don't want to have that happen to me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

If you're on the same contract schedule I am, that must mean you had a Hero... Or rather suffered with a Hero. I went with a Pre instead, and we all know how that one turned out. I can't hate on the pre that much, overclocked it was much better then my friends Hero. On launch up until they started releasing overclock kernels? Not so fun.

Worse; Centro, Treo 800w (which I think was actually made by HTC), Touch Pro 2, Evo 4G, Evo 3D when I dropped the 4G and shattered the screen.

Edit: Oh, and a T-Mobile Dash (pretty sure that was also HTC) that I was issued by work for a short time between the Centro and the 800w.

My wife had a Pre, I actually really liked WebOS but the hardware was poo poo, as was the app availability.

zer0spunk posted:

-Has more goofy sensors then the one (no one should care about a humidity sensor, but there you go)

Now we can accurately measure pocket humidity due to ballsweat. What's not useful about that?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 19, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

fknlo posted:

Honestly, I might grab an S3 off craigslist and wait to see what next year has to offer? I'm not overly impressed with the One or S4 and I'm not sure if I want to extend my contract for one of them. I've hosed up my last 2 choices with the Pre and then the 3d and don't want to have that happen to me again.

An S3/4 will not be a mistake. S2's are still going strong 2 years later.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's funny is I love my HTC Arrive. It's been solid. I got the insurance when I first bought it though, from my experiences with the Mogul and Touch Pro.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Wife got it squared away, thank God. She is getting everything transferred. Everybody wins.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

thisdude23 posted:

Wife got it squared away, thank God. She is getting everything transferred. Everybody wins.
Take in to E/N

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

ShinAli posted:

Anyone having a decent experience with Sprint in Dallas? Going to be moving soon and thinking about switching to another wireless provider because I'm getting real sick of Sprint's terrible loving service as of late.

Depends where in Dallas you're moving to. I live here and generally get around 3 bars of LTE everywhere I go. Especially downtown or uptown Dallas. Sprint isn't bad here.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Duckman2008 posted:

Dallas should actually be decent, it was a LTE launch city. A few guys here live there and can give you a better idea, but when I was there last it was usable. I guess it comes down to how much you will travel outside of Dallas.

I'll maybe go to some conferences and conventions once or twice a year maybe; one of them is GDC and I know Sprint 3G is pretty drat amazing in San Francisco.

Biodome posted:

Depends where in Dallas you're moving to. I live here and generally get around 3 bars of LTE everywhere I go. Especially downtown or uptown Dallas. Sprint isn't bad here.

I'll be pretty close to downtown, pretty much on and near 75 and Mockingbird Lane.

I guess I'll give Sprint another shot once I get there, see how my 4S feels before I upgrade to the inevitable newer iPhone.

ShinAli fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 19, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

My S3 is in mint condition and will be hitting SA Mart for $300 by may if you are shopping around that time.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

goku chewbacca posted:

Take in to E/N

Sure thing guy.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
I have a launch HTC Evo 3D and I am leaving Sprint for the S4 on ATT as soon as it is available. I don't have any huge gripes with HTC, except for the super long software update delays, but I have had it with Sprints 56k like 3G data network. I don't know how any of you guys on Sprint that are NOT in a LTE area are still sticking around. I can't wait to jump ship.

ATT LTE here I come!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ShinAli posted:

I'll maybe go to some conferences and conventions once or twice a year maybe; one of them is GDC and I know Sprint 3G is pretty drat amazing in San Francisco.

I'll be pretty close to downtown, pretty much on and near 75 and Mockingbird Lane.

I guess I'll give Sprint another shot once I get there, see how my 4S feels before I upgrade to the inevitable newer iPhone.

It's hard to say for me, because my last phone was an Evo 3D and I'm not sure how much of my pain was caused by poor 3G or just the phone itself. I've had night and day better service since getting the LTE-enabled S3, but more often than not I'm actually on the 4G network, so again... not sure how much of what I'm seeing is the phone or the network.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

ShinAli posted:

Get the iPhone 5 and you'll be fine. I'm now getting LTE almost everywhere and it's fast. 3G is hit or miss, on upgraded towers its decent, on the other half it's worse than dial up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I currently have a galaxy S3, and I have a question:

Will the S4 be equipped with more powerful 3g/4g LTE capabilities? Like, side by side, and on the same sprint network, does the S4's newer hardware give it an internet and even just call performance/reliability edge?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

I currently have a galaxy S3, and I have a question:

Will the S4 be equipped with more powerful 3g/4g LTE capabilities? Like, side by side, and on the same sprint network, does the S4's newer hardware give it an internet and even just call performance/reliability edge?

I don't think anyone will know for sure until tests are done, but I would imagine it gets the same or similar download speeds.

The S3 on Sprint is pretty reliable and worked great on LTE when I have had it on LTE, so I don't think there would be a big difference. Difference in performance on the hardware end sure, although the S3 is already pretty fast all around.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Bananana posted:

Will the S4 be equipped with more powerful 3g/4g LTE capabilities?
It's possible the SGS4 may ship with ESMR band LTE support, which the SGS3 does not feature. If so, it would contribute to more reliable LTE support once Sprint deploys LTE in ESMR, but I don't think there's any immediate plans to do so.

Otherwise it's pretty safe to expect that any CDMA/LTE performance differences between the SGS3/4 would be relatively minor, as a function of another Qualcomm hardware iteration cycle.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

S4 S4 S4 S4 S4 S4 S4

I am waiting to hear if it includes the SVDO feature that was in the S3. I almost upgraded to the Note 2 until I found out it lacked this feature. (I'll never have LTE in this locality and I need data/voice concurrently.)

I hoping we see some in depth reviews soon.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If Sprint cancels your contract from excessive roaming is the phone "cleared" to be resold (ESN or whatever its called)?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

If Sprint cancels your contract from excessive roaming is the phone "cleared" to be resold (ESN or whatever its called)?

Everything I have found says yes. Unless you leave unpaid bills, of course. They'll let you out without ETF but you will get a bill for the last month of service.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I just dropped my Optimus G and the screen cracked in such a way that it won't even allow me to unlock it. Any idea how much the replacement screen would cost?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

moolchaba posted:

I am waiting to hear if it includes the SVDO feature that was in the S3. I almost upgraded to the Note 2 until I found out it lacked this feature. (I'll never have LTE in this locality and I need data/voice concurrently.)

I hoping we see some in depth reviews soon.

99.7% of Sprint's towers are getting LTE; every single market they serve is getting it.

Speaking of:

Approximately 1000 updated sites today in: Philadelphia Metro (58), Houston (52), Shentel (50), LA Metro (48), Chicago (47), San Diego (44), Washington DC (43), Kansas (37), Nashville (34), Indianapolis (31), New York City (30), Atlanta/Athens (29), Memphis (29), New Orleans (24), Orange County (24), Riverside/San Bernardino (24), PR/VI (22), Charlotte (21), Orlando (21), Raleigh/Durham (20), Northern Jersey (19), Norfolk (17), Austin (14), San Antonio (13), South Bay (13), South West Florida (13), East Michigan (12), Fort Wayne/South Bend (12), Central Jersey (11), North LA (11), SF Bay (11), Tampa (11), DFW (10), Minnesota (10), Alabama (8), Baltimore (8), East Texas (8), Louisiana (8), Northern Connecticut (8), Oregon/SW Washington (8), West Michigan (8), Boston (7), Georgia (7), Miami/West Palm (7), South Carolina (7), West Washington (7), Arkansas (5), Long Island (5), Oklahoma (5), East Iowa (4), Jacksonville (4), Southern Connecticut (4), Missouri (3), Tucson/Yuma (3), Delaware (2), Southern Jersey (2), Central Pennsylvania (1), Gulf Coast (1), Las Vegas (1), North Wisconsin (1), Providence (1), South Texas (1), VT/NH/ME (1).

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try

Animale posted:

I just dropped my Optimus G and the screen cracked in such a way that it won't even allow me to unlock it. Any idea how much the replacement screen would cost?

I threw mine in the toilet. $150 deductible - I just got a voicemail recently from the insurance company saying I never mailed my broken phone back & will be charged an additional $500. Is this some kind of hustle?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ouija posted:

I threw mine in the toilet. $150 deductible - I just got a voicemail recently from the insurance company saying I never mailed my broken phone back & will be charged an additional $500. Is this some kind of hustle?

Did you mail the old one back? If so, get in touch with Sprint/Asurion and they should fix it. If not, get in ouch with Asurion and mail the broken phone back, that is part of the terms.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CharlesM posted:

What's funny is I love my HTC Arrive. It's been solid. I got the insurance when I first bought it though, from my experiences with the Mogul and Touch Pro.

Same here. I finally killed my first one on accident by slipping a drivers licence card in between the slider while in my pocket (oops) but my replacement refurb seems to be holding well.

I have been using a HTC EVO 4G LTE that HTC sent me and while the hardware is much faster, the overall experience with Android has been complete crap. Be it Sense roms, CM10.1 or something in between, it has a bit more functionality and a larger app selection, but I have to either reboot the phone 2-3 times a day for random weird glitches, or it does it itself with a convient RamDump problem lol. Going from the experience I had with the OG EVO as well as other devices, I cannot wait till Sprint gets a freaking WP8 device, and it better be a high end one.

I have been tempted every time I hold my Arrive to switch back to it. So much faster, reliable, and easy to use. Though the 4G (when I visit San Fran) and easy to use in a pinch, USB/WiF Tethering, is quite nice. (Arrive can WiFi tether but the USB tethering is a pain to setup).

On the LTE rollout note, Is there any chance in the world that Sacramento might get a tower or two upgraded or is that not going to happen until the current rollout finishes up? My sister with an 8X on Verizon can kick around 50ms ping, an 8Mbit up and down at my place. Hell my home DSL is only 1.5 out here in the boonies. :negative:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with depending on the insurance to fix your HTC phone is there's not much to say they're going to give you a like-grade phone. For gently caress's sake, they've handed out OG Evos to replace the E3D - a phone you can buy for what the insurance deductible costs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I cancelled my insurance once I realized I can get the phone for $100 on eBay or whatever.

How do you get the Arrive to do WiFi hotspot?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Yeah I cancelled my insurance once I realized I can get the phone for $100 on eBay or whatever.

How do you get the Arrive to do WiFi hotspot?

Install a custom rom from xda devs. The HSPL for it has been out for a good while and the custom roms work quite well. (Everything is in the HTC 7 Pro section. Looking for GOLD_C and a HSPL post under 7 Pro Hacking made by IM0001 about the HSPL to get started)

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

EdEddnEddy posted:

Same here. I finally killed my first one on accident by slipping a drivers licence card in between the slider while in my pocket (oops) but my replacement refurb seems to be holding well.

I have been using a HTC EVO 4G LTE that HTC sent me and while the hardware is much faster, the overall experience with Android has been complete crap. Be it Sense roms, CM10.1 or something in between, it has a bit more functionality and a larger app selection, but I have to either reboot the phone 2-3 times a day for random weird glitches, or it does it itself with a convient RamDump problem lol. Going from the experience I had with the OG EVO as well as other devices, I cannot wait till Sprint gets a freaking WP8 device, and it better be a high end one.

I have been tempted every time I hold my Arrive to switch back to it. So much faster, reliable, and easy to use. Though the 4G (when I visit San Fran) and easy to use in a pinch, USB/WiF Tethering, is quite nice. (Arrive can WiFi tether but the USB tethering is a pain to setup).

On the LTE rollout note, Is there any chance in the world that Sacramento might get a tower or two upgraded or is that not going to happen until the current rollout finishes up? My sister with an 8X on Verizon can kick around 50ms ping, an 8Mbit up and down at my place. Hell my home DSL is only 1.5 out here in the boonies. :negative:

Not sure how many times I can keep saying it... All Sprint markets are getting LTE. Do you have Sprint in Sacramento? Then you're getting LTE during the current Network Vision rollout.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

brc64 posted:

It's hard to say for me, because my last phone was an Evo 3D and I'm not sure how much of my pain was caused by poor 3G or just the phone itself. I've had night and day better service since getting the LTE-enabled S3, but more often than not I'm actually on the 4G network, so again... not sure how much of what I'm seeing is the phone or the network.

Ender.uNF posted:

Get the iPhone 5 and you'll be fine. I'm now getting LTE almost everywhere and it's fast. 3G is hit or miss, on upgraded towers its decent, on the other half it's worse than dial up.

Alright, I'll try to find some iPhone 5 on the cheap (or some other LTE phone) and see how it goes. Little worried about the battery life but as long as I get consistent, good service and still have unlimited data then that'd be wonderful.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

Not sure how many times I can keep saying it... All Sprint markets are getting LTE. Do you have Sprint in Sacramento? Then you're getting LTE during the current Network Vision rollout.

I think a lot of people refuse to believe this because not everyone got WiMax.

That being said, anyone know when Sprint's thing with using a Sprint device on a Sprint MVNO will go live? I'd like to try seeing if that'll boost the price of the Nexus S 4G any around here.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ender.uNF posted:

99.7% of Sprint's towers are getting LTE; every single market they serve is getting it.

Speaking of:

Approximately 1000 updated sites today in: Philadelphia Metro (58), Houston (52), Shentel (50), LA Metro (48), Chicago (47), San Diego (44), Washington DC (43), Kansas (37), Nashville (34), Indianapolis (31), New York City (30), Atlanta/Athens (29), Memphis (29), New Orleans (24), Orange County (24), Riverside/San Bernardino (24), PR/VI (22), Charlotte (21), Orlando (21), Raleigh/Durham (20), Northern Jersey (19), Norfolk (17), Austin (14), San Antonio (13), South Bay (13), South West Florida (13), East Michigan (12), Fort Wayne/South Bend (12), Central Jersey (11), North LA (11), SF Bay (11), Tampa (11), DFW (10), Minnesota (10), Alabama (8), Baltimore (8), East Texas (8), Louisiana (8), Northern Connecticut (8), Oregon/SW Washington (8), West Michigan (8), Boston (7), Georgia (7), Miami/West Palm (7), South Carolina (7), West Washington (7), Arkansas (5), Long Island (5), Oklahoma (5), East Iowa (4), Jacksonville (4), Southern Connecticut (4), Missouri (3), Tucson/Yuma (3), Delaware (2), Southern Jersey (2), Central Pennsylvania (1), Gulf Coast (1), Las Vegas (1), North Wisconsin (1), Providence (1), South Texas (1), VT/NH/ME (1).

Thanks for posting these. I honestly thought I would never see Eastern Iowa posted. Gives me some hope hope that LTE may actually happen.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I dropped by S3 and the screen is purple and doesn't respond to touch anymore. I don't have the insurance since I've never broken a phone in the however many years it's been since I've owned a cell phone. Am I screwed?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ender.uNF posted:

I know they all are, I am just wondering When Sac might start seeing something. I assume it won't be anytime in the first batch rollout (whats going on now) but from what I have found, it isn't in the 2nd batch either. :/

I know we were a bit late to get it when WiMax was the thing, but we did get some of it. (not where I live of course)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShinAli posted:

Alright, I'll try to find some iPhone 5 on the cheap (or some other LTE phone) and see how it goes. Little worried about the battery life but as long as I get consistent, good service and still have unlimited data then that'd be wonderful.

My iPhone 5 is for sale, PM if you are interested.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I dropped by S3 and the screen is purple and doesn't respond to touch anymore. I don't have the insurance since I've never broken a phone in the however many years it's been since I've owned a cell phone. Am I screwed?

If there are no cracks then a repair center should swap it for $50.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Duckman2008 posted:

If there are no cracks then a repair center should swap it for $50.

In the screen or the phone? The screen's not cracked, but the side of the phone is a little rough now with a tiny opening.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

May be a dumb question, but can all Sprint stores handle business accounts or do I need to look for a corporate store when I need stuff changed?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Chaotic Flame posted:

March is open enrollment for TEP and from my understanding there's no waiting period to use it so I would probably go ahead and add it in this case.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

datajosh posted:

March is open enrollment for TEP and from my understanding there's no waiting period to use it so I would probably go ahead and add it in this case.

Call in and add it. Dont mention the broken device.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's getting harder to resist the One with every review I see.

anandtech said this:
"The One is without a doubt the best Android smartphone I’ve ever used"

there's no chance of sprint getting its own branding with and SD slot like the evolte right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

anandtech said

It's great he doesn't mind the diminishing returns from a non-replaceable battery and he can't expand his storage if he suddenly decides to load his entire MP3 collection to his phone.

Guess which phone I'm not getting?