Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Yes, that is definitely Basil. Dig that sucker up and place it in the center of your potter. If it has grown that much before you even thought to plant seeds, you'll want to keep this guy for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Penguissimo posted:

The only disappointing thing about this post is that the link to the poop thread doesn't work.
The surprising thing is that it links to a thread in the reports forum and now I'm super-suspicious of Noni...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Quit hogging the toilet megathread you guys. :mad:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Insect identification question: I live in San Diego and saw a huge bug today. It looked like a giant ant (2-3 inches long) and it was fat and pink-orange. It had little beady eyes and came out when I was weeding grass. Google doesn't help. Help! tia

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How common is it for Windows Explorer to suddenly consume memory, all the memory, until your computer is left gasping for air and shutting down other programs to try and compensate for the fact that the dark beast of explorer.exe is somehow using up more memory than steam and firefox put together. That's uncommon, right?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

muike posted:

How common is it for Windows Explorer to suddenly consume memory, all the memory, until your computer is left gasping for air and shutting down other programs to try and compensate for the fact that the dark beast of explorer.exe is somehow using up more memory than steam and firefox put together. That's uncommon, right?

Fairly common when you have malware/viruses.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Checked already. Tried something out and I fixed it. It had to do with Windows trying to make thumbnails for video files it couldn't. Switched all my video folders over to detailed view only and I'm not experiencing the problem.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

moana posted:

Insect identification question: I live in San Diego and saw a huge bug today. It looked like a giant ant (2-3 inches long) and it was fat and pink-orange. It had little beady eyes and came out when I was weeding grass. Google doesn't help. Help! tia

Doesn't fit your description 100%, but I first thought of the Velvet ant. wich is a wasp that looks like an ant.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/feb/papr/ant.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

b0nes posted:

Usually the updates are here.

I don't want to browse the page for my updates, obviously. I want to get pushed email alerts like with projects I back. I would have accepted RSS feed, but I'm trying to deal with the loss of Google Reader :(.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

het posted:

The surprising thing is that it links to a thread in the reports forum and now I'm super-suspicious of Noni...

If you're just now getting suspicious of Noni you've been missing out. His post history is a wild ride.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

moana posted:

A velvet ant maybe? They aren't actually ants, but another family of hymenoptera. The females are wingless, and can look really different from the males. Don't pick it up if you see it again, they can deliver some of the most painful stings for insects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutilidae

e: beaten. But for other insect related questions, I really recommend the Critterquest thread.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have 2 different Youtube accounts associated with 2 different email addresses. Is there a quick and easy way to combine all the videos onto one account?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kimbo305 posted:

I would have accepted RSS feed, but I'm trying to deal with the loss of Google Reader :(.
You still have it for 3 months. There's multiple alternatives right now and more will pop up before July.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just found out a family friend was a Polish immigrant who moved to Australia during WW2. My question is- why Australia? I mean, sure it was 1940-something, but surely even then people knew that Australia was mostly desert and killer naimals, right? After all, America was right there, or maybe South Africa.

No offence to Aussies.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Taima posted:

Does anyone know what kind of plant this is? It's growing in a pot I'm about to use for Spring, but I might keep it around if it's tasty. Otherwise it's gonna be basil.

Are we all positive that's basil? Most basil I've grown has had leaves that are less elongated than that, and are more oval/spade-shaped than that. Just GISing basil, it doesn't look that similar. The easy way of finding out for sure, though, would probably be to take a leaf, mash it a bit, and smell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommissarMega posted:

I just found out a family friend was a Polish immigrant who moved to Australia during WW2. My question is- why Australia? I mean, sure it was 1940-something, but surely even then people knew that Australia was mostly desert and killer naimals, right? After all, America was right there, or maybe South Africa.

No offence to Aussies.

Australia was easier to move into on short notice back then, and if they were leaving Poland in the 1940s it was because they were escaping Nazis on one side of Poland and Stalinists on the other. So being able to get out fast was more important than what specific country they got to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Are we all positive that's basil? Most basil I've grown has had leaves that are less elongated than that, and are more oval/spade-shaped than that. Just GISing basil, it doesn't look that similar. The easy way of finding out for sure, though, would probably be to take a leaf, mash it a bit, and smell.

Yeah I was thinking that just looked like a weed of some sort.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

axolotl farmer posted:

e: beaten. But for other insect related questions, I really recommend the Critterquest thread.
Thanks, I didn't even know that thread existed! Turned out to be a potato bug.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Why are these cameras nearly $8,500? What am I missing? They normally retail for about $800 max.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=olympus+pen&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'm not seeing anything on that page more expensive than $500.

edit: Okay, sorted by most expensive. I guess because people are idiots? Nobody's bid on them.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 21, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xandu posted:

I'm not seeing anything on that page more expensive than $500.

Sort by price: highest first and there's about 5 of them around $8500. Some of the listings make it sound like they have a special lens included but I'm not a big camera person so :shrug:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Only thing I can think of is they made a mistake in pricing but not all of them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

Only thing I can think of is they made a mistake in pricing but not all of them.

It could be money laundering.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

(This might belong in legal questions megathread, but my first impression was that it was better here)

I'm moving, and my new landlady seems to be kind of uptight, and from the way she talks, I even worry that she sometimes tries to squeeze extra money out of tenants. I've only ever had benignly negligent landlords before, never a particularly uptight/money-grubbing one.
In short, we don't know if she's antagonistic - she seems overall reasonable/nice (if a little intense) - but we worry she might be.

One of her big points was that we need to let her know when there's any damage in the house, or else if it gets worse with time and we never tell her, she'll hold us partially liable. For an extreme example, some people let their kitchen flood and never called her and after a few weeks of flooded kitchen it hosed up the floor; she sued them over it.

So to protect ourselves, my housemates and I have a plan, and this is leading to a question, but I'll also welcome any suggestions in general on this plan.

1. Whenever there's some damage in the house (like, wear and tear stuff), we'll call her about it. This is generally a good idea anyway.
  2. We'll write her a short letter summarizing what we said on the phone, and...
    a. send it certified mail?
    b. email it?

There are a few problems with (a). We are left with no proof of what we actually said to her - only that we mailed something. Another problem is it might end up being annoying to her in the long run, and if she was on the fence about whether or not to be antagonistic towards us, this might push her over the edge.
So, is there any means of proving not only that we mailed something, but what the letter said? And is this overkill / likely to piss her off?

The problem with (b) is, if it comes to this, does email hold up in court?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

(This might belong in legal questions megathread, but my first impression was that it was better here)

I'm moving, and my new landlady seems to be kind of uptight, and from the way she talks, I even worry that she sometimes tries to squeeze extra money out of tenants. I've only ever had benignly negligent landlords before, never a particularly uptight/money-grubbing one.
In short, we don't know if she's antagonistic - she seems overall reasonable/nice (if a little intense) - but we worry she might be.

One of her big points was that we need to let her know when there's any damage in the house, or else if it gets worse with time and we never tell her, she'll hold us partially liable. For an extreme example, some people let their kitchen flood and never called her and after a few weeks of flooded kitchen it hosed up the floor; she sued them over it.

So to protect ourselves, my housemates and I have a plan, and this is leading to a question, but I'll also welcome any suggestions in general on this plan.

1. Whenever there's some damage in the house (like, wear and tear stuff), we'll call her about it. This is generally a good idea anyway.
  2. We'll write her a short letter summarizing what we said on the phone, and...
    a. send it certified mail?
    b. email it?

There are a few problems with (a). We are left with no proof of what we actually said to her - only that we mailed something. Another problem is it might end up being annoying to her in the long run, and if she was on the fence about whether or not to be antagonistic towards us, this might push her over the edge.
So, is there any means of proving not only that we mailed something, but what the letter said? And is this overkill / likely to piss her off?

The problem with (b) is, if it comes to this, does email hold up in court?
Photocopy your letter or just email because yes, email can be evidence in court. You may need an email reply or return receipt email to prove she received it.

But you're probably being overly cautious since phone records (especially multiple calls) would probably suffice to convince a small claims judge you gave her notice. What'll she say? That you just called to say hi a few times round about when the damage happened?

Maybe she really is scheming to rip you off, but if so why warn you? Most likely she just got burned by dumbfuck tenants who let a small problem get huge and she's asking you to be reasonable and notify her when poo poo breaks.

Edit: unless it could somehow get worse if not addressed, "wear and tear" stuff is not worth bothering her over unless you want her to fix it (or get permission to fix it / upgrade it / change it yourself.)

randyest fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 21, 2013

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ineptmule posted:

Well it looks a bit like basil to me already.

This is fortuitous news, now if only it wasn't plastered to the side of the pot!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I lost my ID, I fly in 7 days tomorrow, (which will be Friday in California where I live, in case you're reading this FROM THE FUTURE.) How do I replace my ID in 7 days or less? I have 0$ but could borrow some tomorrow, but I don't know if that'll be enough to get to the DMV, I also don't have a birth certificate. Guys, please help.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

I lost my ID, I fly in 7 days tomorrow, (which will be Friday in California where I live, in case you're reading this FROM THE FUTURE.) How do I replace my ID in 7 days or less? I have 0$ but could borrow some tomorrow, but I don't know if that'll be enough to get to the DMV, I also don't have a birth certificate. Guys, please help.

I don't know if it's the same in California; I'm on the East Coast. But here, if it's been less than nine months, you take in $2.50 and tell them you lost it and give them your social, they make sure your info is up to date, they take a new picture and hand you a new one on the spot. Takes twenty minutes, fifteen of which is waiting in line.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah I had the same reservations. It could just be very young basil. Certainly the arrangement of the top leaves is something in common with basil.

Essentially it looks the same as the basil growing in my kitchen, but really you should just nibble a bit and find out.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ineptmule posted:

Yeah I had the same reservations. It could just be very young basil. Certainly the arrangement of the top leaves is something in common with basil.

Essentially it looks the same as the basil growing in my kitchen, but really you should just nibble a bit and find out.

If it's basil you can rub a leaf and sniff your fingers and you'll know it. Don't nibble random leaves please.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
To each his own.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife says its a weed, she is the authority on what green poo poo outside is. :colbert:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

razorrozar posted:

I don't know if it's the same in California; I'm on the East Coast. But here, if it's been less than nine months, you take in $2.50 and tell them you lost it and give them your social, they make sure your info is up to date, they take a new picture and hand you a new one on the spot. Takes twenty minutes, fifteen of which is waiting in line.
I got my card I want to say 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't think I'm in that nine month window. I'll check the DMV site, though I was told you needed a birth certificate.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm looking for a study, or an article about this study, that Naomi Klein described in The Shock Doctrine. She said it was a psychological study that is used to prove that humans are governed almost entirely by self-interest. But the guy who did the study tried it on his secretary pool and they helped each other out and in fact he didn't get the results he wanted until he had tweaked the rules of the game and the members in the group (no more secretaries) many times. Am I remembering this wrong or can someone point me in the right direction? I gave my copy of the book away.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

I got my card I want to say 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't think I'm in that nine month window. I'll check the DMV site, though I was told you needed a birth certificate.

Actually, I meant nine months since you lost it, should have been clearer, sorry. Whoever told you that is almost certainly wrong, though. Probably you just need to know your social, or at most have your SS card.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

razorrozar posted:

Actually, I meant nine months since you lost it, should have been clearer, sorry. Whoever told you that is almost certainly wrong, though. Probably you just need to know your social, or at most have your SS card.

In VA you need your birth certificate & another form of ID if you're out of the 1-year window if it's lost/expired, so YMMV in CA.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

What does "Ocrd" mean when it's suffixed to a CD for sale online? I've looked everywhere as to its meaning, and no one really knows other than the fact that they're more expensive than ones not marked with the mysterious abbreviation. One dude seems to think it means digitally remastered (i.e., "original cuts remastered"), but that just sounds like reaching with "cut" used instead of "recording."

Made the mistake of buying an Ocrd disc on Amazon when the same disc is just pennies on Amazon without Ocrd. I hope I got the seller to cancel in time before they shipped :ohdear:

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

You Are A Elf posted:

What does "Ocrd" mean when it's suffixed to a CD for sale online?

Original Content Remastered Digitally would by my guess.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wyatt posted:

Original Content Remastered Digitally would by my guess.

That's what I thought, as well, rather than the "cuts" guess. It's just weird that almost all listings are abbreviated "Ocrd" without the CRD being capitalized, but I guess them's the breaks. For what it's worth, the CD I bought is from 2001, so it's not like it needed to be digitally remastered, especially since the original 2001 disc is just a few coins compared to the $7 price on the Ocrd disc. That's what I get for not looking at more listings.

Thanks, Earp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ordered a pair of headphones from a private seller on Amazon and cancelled the order. I didn't get charged but they sent them to me anyways. Part of me feels morally obligated to contact them and the other part doesn't want to deal with sending them back (they were only $15 so we aren't talking a big ticket item). If you were me would you email them or just say "gently caress it".