Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Having this on 3DS is awesome, and dangerous. I've put in an embarrassing amount of hours into the game already with no end in sight.

I wish my bags were bigger. Gathering fills them up way to quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Hmmm best buy has 8gig wii U for $250. I'm so tempted to pull the trigger today. Especially with some tax return cash left over...

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Just do it :getin:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh Jesus, how do you break his uvula? Any time his mouth is open, he's biting at you. It must be a fairly easy break, yeah? Also, 'breaking a uvula' sounds like the worst pain ever.

Bring barrel bombs. Wait till he rushes towards you with his mouth open and drop the barrel bomb in his path. Hopefully he'll swallow the bomb. When he does it'll explode and stun him for a few seconds and he'll lay there in the sand with his mouth hanging open. Now is your chance to go nuts on his uvula.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
making use of my friend's GameStop discount and a bonus from work to pickup the ZombieU bundle and MH3, should come out to about $440 after tax, not too shabby for everything that entails.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lexorin posted:

Bring barrel bombs. Wait till he rushes towards you with his mouth open and drop the barrel bomb in his path. Hopefully he'll swallow the bomb. When he does it'll explode and stun him for a few seconds and he'll lay there in the sand with his mouth hanging open. Now is your chance to go nuts on his uvula.

"Go nuts on his uvula" isn't even an okay thought.

And I didn't even think about using poison bombs for the bug hunting. Those things seem useless in any other situation. I forgot they even existed, to be honest. Since I was impatient, I went and took the two bug-hunt quests to get parts for Arzuros armor. Now I just have to find Carpenterbugs and wonder why the hell you can't create them at the farm. :mad: Do you need to upgrade the bug box to max level or somethin', or can you just never make more locally?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
You can't farm bugs used for armor crafting

Also I'm making a pink rathian set out of spite. gently caress that thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This is my first MH and I'm a little overwhelmed, so dumb beginner questions:
- What should I be doing with all of the items I'm picking up? For now I've just been putting them in storage because I don't know if they're useful or not.
- Should I be doing stuff in the farm a lot? Same goes for sending the fishing guys out.
- Should I be doing a lot of item combining?

The combat/quests are fine, it's just that they're throwing a lot of stuff at me in the town and I never really know what I should be doing while I'm there.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You want to use your fishing boats to go fishing because they give you items you can use to generate resources. And you get items to trade with the argosy captain. For the farm, you want to be making stuff you can't normally buy at the shops. Like honey and thunderbugs, etc. Stuff you want to be able to make traps or bombs out of. If you do it right you can end up near a closed-loop system, of just generating resources and sending boats out and farming with the resources. When you trade with the argosy captain, try to fill up on fish finders to increase your hauls.

The quests from Junior make your meals better, make your farm more resource efficient and give your companions different masks.

For combining you should be making bombs, traps, mega potions, anything you like to use on hunts. Sap plant + stone makes Bombcasing, bomb casing + barrels = barrel bomb. You can combine spider webs + ivy to make nets which you can combine with Trap tool to make pitfall traps. Thunderbug + Trap tool = Shock trap. Tranquilizer + Bombcasing = Tranq Bomb.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 22, 2013

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Gunlance seems extremely strong. So easy to do breaks with Wyvern Fire / shots and you can still cut tails relatively easily. Definitely going to stick with this weapon.

EDIT: Played hammer in Tri and must admit that I do miss stunning.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 22, 2013

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

darkhand posted:

You want to use your fishing boats to go fishing because they give you items you can use to generate resources. And you get items to trade with the argosy captain. For the farm, you want to be making stuff you can't normally buy at the shops. Like honey and thunderbugs, etc. Stuff you want to be able to make traps or bombs out of. If you do it right you can end up near a closed-loop system, of just generating resources and sending boats out and farming with the resources. When you trade with the argosy captain, try to fill up on fish finders to increase your hauls.

The quests from Junior make your meals better, make your farm more resource efficient and give your companions different masks.

For combining you should be making bombs, traps, mega potions, anything you like to use on hunts. Sap plant + stone makes Bombcasing, bomb casing + barrels = barrel bomb. You can combine spider webs + ivy to make nets which you can combine with Trap tool to make pitfall traps. Thunderbug + Trap tool = Shock trap. Tranquilizer + Bombcasing = Tranq Bomb.

I'd recommend against farming for thunderbugs because they're expensive as gently caress when it comes to resources. Keep checking the rotating merchant (the lady with the huge backpack) in the online lobby and then stock up when she puts up thunderbugs for half price. Bought 60 of those fuckers for 10k and don't regret it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

KimT posted:

This is my first MH and I'm a little overwhelmed, so dumb beginner questions:
- What should I be doing with all of the items I'm picking up? For now I've just been putting them in storage because I don't know if they're useful or not.
- Should I be doing stuff in the farm a lot? Same goes for sending the fishing guys out.
- Should I be doing a lot of item combining?

The combat/quests are fine, it's just that they're throwing a lot of stuff at me in the town and I never really know what I should be doing while I'm there.

-If you don't know what it does, cram it in storage because you'll probably need it later. You get so much storage space that it's not really an issue.

-You should keep your farm and fish running constantly if you don't mind dealing with a little bit of management. Initially you'll want to get some herbs and blue mushrooms going to make potions. Later you'll want to start producing honey so you can turn your potions into mega potions. If you're not doing anything else try to find something that sells high and produce it at your farm (at the moment I'm selling my spare power seeds.)

-You're going to do a shitload of item combining if you put any serious time into this game, so yes. The merchant in Moga Village sells some item combo books you can leave in your storage for a higher success rate, but they're kind of expensive for a new hunter so don't feel like they're a high priority.

-Another tip for new hunters: USE FOOD BUFFS. In Moga Village and in Port Tanzia there are tables/bars you can sit at and choose two types of food to make a meal. You can do this once before every quest. The standard food combo is meat + vegetable. This will give you extra stamina, health, and/or attack power. The buffs aren't gigantic but if everyone uses them it adds up to make a big difference. They barely cost any money or town resources so there's no reason not to buff up unless you're just doing a gathering quest. As a bonus you get to appreciate the eating animations.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 22, 2013

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

gigawhite posted:

I'd recommend against farming for thunderbugs because they're expensive as gently caress when it comes to resources. Keep checking the rotating merchant (the lady with the huge backpack) in the online lobby and then stock up when she puts up thunderbugs for half price. Bought 60 of those fuckers for 10k and don't regret it.

Yeah that's true, I couldn't remember which bugs she sold. It's worth going to the port every once in a while to check.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Don't use might seeds on the farm! They burn away a ton of resource.
Use Null Berries. They sell for 120, only 20 less than power seeds, and take 1/5th of the resources that a might seed takes. It's a great item to grow if you don't need any supply materials at the moment.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
So is there a way to go on free hunts in regions other than the deserted island? I need some fancy pelagicite ore for my jaggi shotels dammit.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

scissorman posted:

How newbie-friendly are the ranged weapons in MH3U, especially the bow?
I generally prefer ranged combat but in the demo I ran out of time with the bow against the easy monster and barely made it with the heavy bowgun.
From a few pages back, but like h3avyduty said, bows are actually pretty close ranged. I haven't used one since fighting Plesi and the Shogun in MHFU, but to get an idea run up next to an Aptonoth and do a few backward hops (without evade+). I think it's either 3 or 5, but can't remember exactly. You are now at optimal bow range.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Karanas posted:

So is there a way to go on free hunts in regions other than the deserted island? I need some fancy pelagicite ore for my jaggi shotels dammit.

Well there's the Paw Pass Ticket quests which are like free hunts in other regions but timed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Karanas posted:

Do the Harvest Tour quest for the Flooded Forest. First zone you enter there is a mining node at the end of the right wall that can drop Pegalicite. Then go back around and climb into the ice cavern as there are 2 potential mining spots there that can both drop it. Loop back to the house and turn in your ticket. Rinse & repeat as needed, 5 minutes a shot.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I got it on 3DS now, plus a circle pad pro XL!

This game sure looks amazing for a 3DS game, I'll say that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

darkhand posted:

Nechronic posted:

-If you don't know what it does, cram it in storage because you'll probably need it later. You get so much storage space that it's not really an issue.

-You should keep your farm and fish running constantly if you don't mind dealing with a little bit of management. Initially you'll want to get some herbs and blue mushrooms going to make potions. Later you'll want to start producing honey so you can turn your potions into mega potions. If you're not doing anything else try to find something that sells high and produce it at your farm (at the moment I'm selling my spare power seeds.)

-You're going to do a shitload of item combining if you put any serious time into this game, so yes. The merchant in Moga Village sells some item combo books you can leave in your storage for a higher success rate, but they're kind of expensive for a new hunter so don't feel like they're a high priority.

-Another tip for new hunters: USE FOOD BUFFS. In Moga Village and in Port Tanzia there are tables/bars you can sit at and choose two types of food to make a meal. You can do this once before every quest. The standard food combo is meat + vegetable. This will give you extra stamina, health, and/or attack power. The buffs aren't gigantic but if everyone uses them it adds up to make a big difference. They barely cost any money or town resources so there's no reason not to buff up unless you're just doing a gathering quest. As a bonus you get to appreciate the eating animations.

rhoga posted:

Don't use might seeds on the farm! They burn away a ton of resource.
Use Null Berries. They sell for 120, only 20 less than power seeds, and take 1/5th of the resources that a might seed takes. It's a great item to grow if you don't need any supply materials at the moment.

Wow, thanks a lot you guys. It all seems a lot more clear now, I should be good to go from now on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KimT posted:

Wow, thanks a lot you guys. It all seems a lot more clear now, I should be good to go from now on.

Monster Hunter can be super overwhelming at first (probably the reason people quit so early) stick with it, it's worth it.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
What's a good earlyish armor set for the bow? I've been using the gunlance a lot and want to make a gunner set, but most of these early armor sets look like they're more for the bowgun than the bow. Right now if I can't find anything else I was planning on making a Lagombi set for the evade distance. I just hit the volcano in single player - are there any sets in near reach that'd be better?

In other news, single player is stupidly easy. It makes me a little sad because the fights aren't as exciting (I beat the Lagaicrus in four minutes), but it's probably a good decision on Capcom's behalf to help remove some of the barrier to entry to the game for new players.

The story to the game is pretty hosed up, if you think about it. It basically plays out like this:

<Village Elder> THE EVIL LAGIACRUS IS CAUSING EARTHQUAKES! GO KILL IT HUNTER!
<You> 'kay
* You kill the Kagiacrus and happily carve its corpse.
<Village Elder> Oh... I guess it wasn't causing those earthquake. My bad, Lagiacrus.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 22, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Riftling posted:

What's a good earlyish armor set for the bow? I've been using the gunlance a lot and want to make a gunner set, but most of these early armor sets look like they're mroe for the bowgun than the bow. Right now if I can't find anything else I was planning on making a Lagombi set for the evade distance. I just hit the volcano in single player - are there any sets in near reach that'd be better?

Barroth (gem out hunger), Lagiacrus (gem out status), Rathalos (gem out recovery) are all relatively easily obtained and very usable early game bow sets.

The reason everybody here finds Single Player/Low Rank so easy is because this game is designed was designed as an expansion to Tri. The team realizes many of the people playing Ultimate already played Tri, so the people playing Tri want to max out their farm/clear the single player content/reach HR to prepare for G-Rank as fast as humanly possible. The devs also realize there are new players though, which is why low rank and such exist at all.

Please stop worrying about difficulty, it becomes much harder and once you hit G-Rank it will require a huge time + skill investment to solo things until you get a few pieces of G-Rank equipment.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

With the GamePad having a microphone and all, is it actually usable without wearing headphones? I know if I try that on PC with a desktop mic I hear no end of complaints about game sound coming through (with good reason of course)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

With the GamePad having a microphone and all, is it actually usable without wearing headphones? I know if I try that on PC with a desktop mic I hear no end of complaints about game sound coming through (with good reason of course)

Eh. I hate people who don't use headphones with the gamepad because then I can hear myself, which is arguably worse than game sounds. :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Does the game only transmit voice through the gamepad or does it also do it through your normal audio output? I know the gamepad likes to output the menu sound.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Riftling posted:

What's a good earlyish armor set for the bow?

I doubt it's good for it but i'm maining hammer and going to try bow specifically to complete out the Wroggi set i'm working on. It's a loving revolver and you're a cowboy. :allears:

I think i'm doing it wrong because i'm going for sets I think look cool as hell (Spent all that time for a Jaggi set but gemmed it up for Attack and upgraded everything to 12 so that helps) but i'm having fun.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Playing dress up is more important than stats in this game for me too. Don't feel bad.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ciaphas posted:

It has a really easy to reach mute toggle. Turn your loving mic off when you aren't talking. I don't want to hear you talk to your wife/mom/girlfriend yell at you to get off the game.

People do hot mic, and if they don't have it max volume it wont echo too much. But really don't be lazy its really REALLY easy to press the mic button on the touch screen, and don't tell me you don't know its there the game starts with it muted.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Does voice only come out of the gamepad? I saw some people chatting through text seemingly to no one, and I had gamepad sound off. Gamepad sound is the dumbest thing

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Misplacing a trap is the worst. Especially when you're trying to capture an Arzuros. You sneeze at them and they die. So I had to stand around a good five minutes, wait for the trap to die, hunt Arzuros down, poke him two or three times, then he limped off and I was finally able to get him. Need Braces and Carpenterbugs to finish the set. Then I can move on to making Volvidon armor. Because god drat, that's a nice helmet.

Mostly I just wanted an easy set of armor to make to get rid of this Barroth set. Tired of my stamina dropping all the time!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
drat, I'm getting through this game a lot quicker than I thought I would. I just beat the gobul and I haven't even been knocked out by anything yet. Though, I'm not looking forward to farming a bunch of great wroggis to upgrade my GS. I need three more king's beaks and those things are a major pain in the rear end to fight.

Edit: Rhenoplos armour is the best starter armour in my opinion. It makes you look like a pink teddy bear if your character is female and Barroth's mud doesn't effect you.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 22, 2013

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

ChibiSoma posted:

Misplacing a trap is the worst. Especially when you're trying to capture an Arzuros. You sneeze at them and they die. So I had to stand around a good five minutes, wait for the trap to die, hunt Arzuros down, poke him two or three times, then he limped off and I was finally able to get him. Need Braces and Carpenterbugs to finish the set. Then I can move on to making Volvidon armor. Because god drat, that's a nice helmet.

Mostly I just wanted an easy set of armor to make to get rid of this Barroth set. Tired of my stamina dropping all the time!

I hosed up trying to catch a Qurupeco cause every time I set down a trap the Great Jaggi he called in stumbled into the trap. This game makes me mad sometimes.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
First time I tried to capture a great jaggi, I killed it. Second time, Cha Cha killed it while it was in the trap. :argh:

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

apophenium posted:

I hosed up trying to catch a Qurupeco cause every time I set down a trap the Great Jaggi he called in stumbled into the trap. This game makes me mad sometimes.

Throw poop at the Great Jaggi. He'll run away.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Two quick gunlance questions:

1. Do elemental gunlances shoot elemental bullets?
2. Is it better to focus on raw damage or elemental damage with gunlances?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bugamol posted:

No
Raw

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Look at this lovely, unacceptable game that stays consistently above 30fps.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I have always found Qurupeco in general a pain to capture. Last night I had him limping so I set a trap down. The fucker started hovering right over the trap. He eventually landed on the other side of the map and then flew off.

The best, if slowest, method I have found of catching one is waiting until it gets to its sleep spot on whatever map you are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Bugamol posted:

All gunlance explosions are raw damage. The element is for the stabby part. Gunlances do differ in the shape of the explosion they spit out, though.

e: Added quote because I post slow.

e2: Kind of a pet peeve I have--your wording makes me think you're under the misconception that gunlances are ranged weapons. I'm probably wrong though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 22, 2013

• Locked thread