Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Gate posted:

Actually, no one makes kits like that because literally no one else could afford to. Plastic molds are super expensive, and the bigger they are, the more they cost. GW is still probably about 10x bigger in terms of sales than any of their closest competitors, and that's how they afford the crazy plastics.

Can't you do it cheaply with resin (well, as cheap as anything else for a certain volume of resin and a certain amount of sculpting)? I know some places sell resin sprues with different parts on them, like helmets or guns or whatever. Just nobody has done a GW-scale box kit. I'm sure that would be a geometrically bigger undertaking but we're not talking plastic costs here.

Also, PP is converting a lot of their stuff to plastic but still doesn't make multi-part kits, other than a few 3-in-1 kits that don't really count. I'm sure it's because their game doesn't support tons of bits mechanically and they see it as not worth the effort for cosmetic purposes, but still.

edit: Something like this is what I mean. It's almost as much variety as you'd find in a GW box, for the part in question.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd like to see a company shift to a booster pack model. You buy a core resin model with some posing and then buy a booster pack with other resin bits depending on how you want to customize them for the rules. Kinda like what GW does with their various chaos legions right now, but more granular.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
A Wild Helsquid Appears

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'll be honest. I haven't ever considered 40K to have the best sci fi minis. They have some cool figures but their prices aren't competitive, the game isn't
all that good (though the Codexes are what always ruin every edition really..), and you know, they are a bad company with customer and retailer unfriendly
practices.

Luckily I can play old 40K with any minis and rules variations I want!
(And maybe one day find a Warmahordes group in Southeastern CT who play weekday afternoons.)

And like I said this morning, I did just that Tuesday with 40K:

And the mission itself:

I won't link my house rules since they aren't finished and it would be a massive wall of text.
It is a mixture of 2nd edition, Rogue Trader, 5th ed, and my own rules to make it RPGish.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

A Wild Helsquid Appears

It's super effective!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

I'd like to see a company shift to a booster pack model. You buy a core resin model with some posing and then buy a booster pack with other resin bits depending on how you want to customize them for the rules. Kinda like what GW does with their various chaos legions right now, but more granular.

This would be great, a lot of the problem I see with the fancy resin totally-not-space-marines like Scibor and Hi Tech is that many of them have seriously loving moronic wargear choices. Yeah I'm going to buy a power axe for one hand and a power fist for the other.

Broadside
Sep 21, 2004

Stay with the devil, or experience hell with an angel.
So apparently the digital codex's in Australia have jumped from AU$50 to AU$79.99. This puts it $4 difference between physical and digital.

Shine on GW you crazy diamond

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Well you know it costs twice as much to ship those internets to Austrailia.

E: I don't know as much about resin cost, but looking at GW; Forgeworld stuff is hella detailed and extremely costly. Finecast is cheaper and less detailed, and cheaper, but still pretty drat expensive. Also very, very delicate and has quality issues, though its much improved from it's inception. I don't know if it would be cheaper to do a multipart kit in resin or not. Still, I would never want a soft resin army like that, it would get trashed way too easily. Plastics are much more durable.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 22, 2013

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Gate posted:

Well you know it costs twice as much to ship those internets to Austrailia.

E: I don't know as much about resin cost, but looking at GW; Forgeworld stuff is hella detailed and extremely costly. Finecast is cheaper and less detailed, and cheaper, but still pretty drat expensive. Also very, very delicate and has quality issues, though its much improved from it's inception. I don't know if it would be cheaper to do a multipart kit in resin or not. Still, I would never want a soft resin army like that, it would get trashed way too easily. Plastics are much more durable.

plus resin warps and it will be tough for resin kits to have interchangeable that fit as well as the plastic kits

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010
Since we're on a comparative models derail, does anyone have any opinions on Dreamforge games models? They ran a kickstarter a while ago, and the plastics look really good and has a ton of extra pieces and bits on the spruces. I was going to use some of them as inquisorial themed imperial guard. :shobon:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To clarify, the reason I cannot stand the kilted Infinity models is because the absolute last thing I want in my scifi models/games is something that looks like it was made by someone who has watched Braveheart 53 times and believes himself to be a scotch because his great great great grandmother once gave a handjob to a man named Donald.

I loving hate Braveheart.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

tasty food posted:

Since we're on a comparative models derail, does anyone have any opinions on Dreamforge games models? They ran a kickstarter a while ago, and the plastics look really good and has a ton of extra pieces and bits on the spruces. I was going to use some of them as inquisorial themed imperial guard. :shobon:

I have the twenty man Eisenkern squad and it's easily a GW quality kit. It's a little too much CAD and not sculpted enough, but for the parts and the price that's a minor complaint.

Frantz
Jan 10, 2013

Cataphract posted:

A Wild Helsquid Appears

That looks positively dangerous ;)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cataphract posted:

I remember when GW released their very first multi part plastic kit (Night Goblins) and being absolutely blown away. At the time, the fact that you could have a whole unit of uniquely posed models was such a gamechanger. Up till then you either dealt with single pose plastics or had to shell out for the static metal models. Basically what I'm saying is back in my day, you had to walk bare foot up a hill to get to a games workshop and then had to risk lead poisoning to have nice models, you kids don't know how good you've got it.
Errr what about the old skeletons/cavalry/chariot series, back when necromancer-undead were a thing? They were the first multipart posable plastics I remember.

And gently caress 2ed minis. Rogue Trader had multipart, 2ed had everything plastic monopose. Everything. Or gently caress off and buy metals I guess

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy

Cataphract posted:

A Wild Helsquid Appears

I don't know why but this looks like it would make a cute hat :3:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Sephyr posted:

Meanwhile, Mephiston will never, ever finally hop the fence and be a Daemon Prince in the next Chaos codex.

That's because Mephiston is the true potential of the geneseed unlocked, not some wannabe spiky dude.
drat revisionistic heretic :mad:

Pierzak posted:

Errr what about the old skeletons/cavalry/chariot series, back when necromancer-undead were a thing? They were the first multipart posable plastics I remember.

And gently caress 2ed minis. Rogue Trader had multipart, 2ed had everything plastic monopose. Everything. Or gently caress off and buy metals I guess

The old plastic were nice but honestly didn't quite have the same level of detail you get now. I do prefer todays all plastic kits but it was a nice option to have the low cost plastic sets for rank and file. Buying the same squad in metal would often cost at least 50% more for things like terminators and tacticals or even 100-200% if you had to use blister packs.

At the time I don't think it was a horrible compromise.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Alright thread/AbusePuppy, here's another go at Daemons:

HQ – 230pts

Heralds of Chaos – 230pts
Herald of Tzeentch with Exalted Locus of Conjuration and Psyker (Mastery Level 2)
2 Heralds of Nurgle with Greater Locus of Fecundity

Troops - 480pts

Bloodletters of Khorne – 115pts
10 Bloodletters of Khorne
Bloodreaper with Lesser Reward

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch -185pts
20 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch
Iridescent Horror

Plaguebearers of Nurgle – 90pts
10 Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Plaguebearers of Nurgle – 90pts
10 Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Fast Attack - 575pts

Flesh Hounds of Khorne – 160pts
10 Flesh Hounds of Khorne

Flesh Hounds of Khorne – 160pts
10 Flesh Hounds of Khorne

Seekers of Slaanesh – 255pts
20 Seekers of Slaanesh
Heartseeker with Lesser Reward

Heavy Support - 465pts

Soul Grinder of Tzeentch – 170pts
Phlegm bombardment

Soul Grinder of Tzeentch – 170pts
Phlegm bombardment

Skull Cannon of Khorne – 125pts

Total Points – 1750pts

The basic idea is to have the HoN/PB units as backfield objective sitters with 3+ cover + FNP, the HoT + Horrors as midfield pissing out a minimum of 5D6 S6 AP4, re-roll to hit shots every turn, and the Bloodletters DSing into the backfield to threaten some AP3 charging back there so that stuff can't just run away from the mass of cavalry. Seeker pack and Hounds burst forwards early doors to threaten from turn 1 onwards, Soul Grinders provide a modicum of anti-air as well as some good old fashioned large blast S8/AP3, complemented by the Skull Cannon which with any luck gives the Seekers a charge target they can abuse that high I on. Again, would rather the Grinders were Nurgle or Slaanesh but points and at least Tzeentch gives them an effectively slightly better than 4+ invulnerable.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

I was working for GW at the time, I believe it was around 98... the night goblin, skeleton warrior and skaven clan rat regiments all hit shelves pretty close together but I'm 99% the NG kit was first. We made a pretty big deal about it being the first full regiment box set. It could be built as spearmen or bowmen and had metal bits to make a standard bearer, champ and musician. Sure, some of the older kits at the time required some assembly and could be manipulated into different poses but they certainly didn't give you the customisation options the NG kit gave. It was the first in the current style of multi part plastic kits.

Also, the skaven kit was an absolute pain in the arse. All of the tails had to be glued on separately.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

cat with hands posted:

The old plastic were nice but honestly didn't quite have the same level of detail you get now. I do prefer todays all plastic kits but it was a nice option to have the low cost plastic sets for rank and file. Buying the same squad in metal would often cost at least 50% more for things like terminators and tacticals or even 100-200% if you had to use blister packs.

At least for marines, you still had the AoBR/DV marines (although not so much with the DA iconography now, I guess?)

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
My WIP Kriegsmen are now 100% done. I'm waiting for the paint to dry so I can varnish them. Here they are:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

cat with hands posted:

The multipart posable models that were available in that period (Chaos Marines for example) had the same price as the lovely monoposes. But yeah, trying to assemble a 40+ zombie horde from metal blisters was horrible.

Cataphract posted:

I was working for GW at the time, I believe it was around 98... the night goblin, skeleton warrior and skaven clan rat regiments all hit shelves pretty close together but I'm 99% the NG kit was first. We made a pretty big deal about it being the first full regiment box set.
No, those came several years later. I was talking about these guys:

They made the Undead a relatively inexpensive army. Warriors, spearmen, archers, horsemen, chariots, everything in plastic :allears: add necromancer to taste, wait until they rise, slaughter random villages for reinforcements.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 22, 2013

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Corrode posted:

Alright thread/AbusePuppy, here's another go at Daemons:

*deletia*
Looks pretty solid overall. I'll point out that Daemon of Tzeentch is actually worse than a 4++, not better, but that's a minor quibble. If you really wanted to get Slaanesh on those Soul Grinders, you could cut a Seeker or two- that big block of 'em is gonna be more than enough to massacre most things pretty easily.

The twin Heralds of Nurgle are a little bit inefficient due to being in minimum-sized units, but hardly a terrible investment and it certainly helps keep the $$ cost of the list down a bit by conserving models. If you wanted to trade one out, a cheap Khorne Herald with the Locus of Fury can make those Bloodletters into real monsters (three WS5 S5 AP3 attacks each on the charge); likewise, a Slaanesh Herald with the Exalted Locus would accompany the Seekers if you want.

I assume you're intending to trade out the Lesser Gifts for Etherblades in most cases?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I loving hate Braveheart.

That's too bad. Braveheart is a great movie and paved the way for all the great epics Hollywood has released in the last 15 years. :v:

In regards to Pierzak's question, Infinity minis look cool, but they also all look like generic armored antagonists from Ghost in the Shell. They don't get me excited about the game the way new 40K models do. Part of that, of course, is that I'm more invested in 40K, but it's also due to the strange and ridiculous poo poo in the 40K range. I see something like a DE cronos/talos or a hellcannon of Khorne, and I get excited about finding out what it does and seeing it on the table.

All that said, I absolutely dig the poo poo out of those little clear pieces that Infinity provides for the hacker models. I'm sure they're a huge pain in the rear end, but they look fantastic.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

You shut your goddamn mouth. I don't need a fourth game to not play.

But those models are drat good looking. Maybe just one army...

Goddammit. Ariadna it is. I have this same helmet, headset, and vest for a Fallout costume. With little work I can make this, nearly spot on, just in different colors. Blue instead of yellow.

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/2012/uncategorized/dozers-campaign-engineers-2/

I'm still keeping my 'Nids, though.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 22, 2013

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Today in an effort to clean out my closet;

I went from this:

To this:

Kids, dont do 40k.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
The latest release list from hastings after Tau is: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks, Imperial Guard, Tyranids. He's being coy (as usual) so the exact order of Orks/IG/Nids is unclear but it's something like that. Black Templars and Sisters of Battle are MIA.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Looks pretty much like we've been expecting, aside from the Templars bit; they've said that they won't discontinue the army, but I suppose that isn't really the same thing as specifically supporting them. Marines pretty much always get a release reasonably early on in an editions life, so it's no surprise to see them getting into the queue here.

Crossin' my fingers on Tyranids, as I'm getting tired of "why don't you play something other than Tervigons?" There IS nothing other than Tervigons, sorry; that codex is a piece of poo poo.

And Sisters of Battle just got their update, they don't need another! :downs:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New release from Forge World, Outrider bikes.

They seem sort of odd at first... but I like them. Might consider using those for Chaos :dance:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The design is a riff on the original Imperial/Space Marine bikes which were knock-offs of the Akira bike. Like all the other Heresy era stuff, it's a great update of the Rogue Trader era designs.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hey those look pretty neat, might get some for m... SIXTY loving POUNDS FOR THREE BIKE MODELS! :catstare:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the other hand, this looks pretty good:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/LEGION_MELTA_GUN_SET.html

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What's that rotery gun supposed to be? It looks like a suped up heavy bolter.

Moola posted:

Hey those look pretty neat, might get some for m... SIXTY loving POUNDS FOR THREE BIKE MODELS! :catstare:

Just wait a month for the grey market stuff and pay $30 instead.

e: But yeah that is expensive as gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

What's that rotery gun supposed to be? It looks like a suped up heavy bolter.

30" S3 AP6 Salvo 3/4 on various PA marines. It's... not very good.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

BULBASAUR posted:

Just wait a month for the grey market stuff and pay $30 instead.

It's been my experience that the ebay recasters do fairly poo poo work.
I ordered a set of rhino doors from forgeworld, and a set from an ebay reseller to take the pepsi challenge with, and it's no contest.
I can post photos if people are interested.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Please do.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

PeterWeller posted:

The design is a riff on the original Imperial/Space Marine bikes which were knock-offs of the Akira bike. Like all the other Heresy era stuff, it's a great update of the Rogue Trader era designs.

They remind me of the Judge Dredd bike

e: I AM THE LAW

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have only good experiences, but I only get them from a few trustworthy sources. What makes me believe they are grey market instead of direct recasts is that the resin/plastic mix used in the new FW models is also used in the ones I buy.

Then again, its possible they just figured out a way to mimic it exactly.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Will do. I'm at work but when I get home I'll snap a series of photos for you dudes.

BULBASAUR posted:

I have only good experiences, but I only get them from a few trustworthy sources. What makes me believe they are grey market instead of direct recasts is that the resin/plastic mix used in the new FW models is also used in the ones I buy.

Then again, its possible they just figured out a way to mimic it exactly.

The only grey market seller I can think of is Universe of Tabletop. If you've found someone cheaper and as reliable, by all means tell me.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't think they look better, I would just never ever spend $1000 on this hobby. My first car was less than $1000, my first motorcycle was less than a $1000. I can't imagine paying $1000 for any hobby stuff. And no, all my stuff combined wouldn't total $1000 spent since I have bought used stuff in bulk lots and sold off the excess. I might be in by $300-$400 for all my 40K stuff and my Infinity stuff. My friends don't call me the Ferengi for nothing.

*shrug* For me it was worth it. But then again this is my disposable income. I consider myself extremely lucky to be in a position where I CAN put this much money into something I enjoy. If you think that's a lot of money you should see how much golfers spend :P

However, I also don't consider myself the stereotypical 40k Player. If you add up the money I spend on 40k OUTSIDE of the actual game, you are talking many thousands as well. Podcast equipment, travel, hotels, swag etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Manifest posted:

Will do. I'm at work but when I get home I'll snap a series of photos for you dudes.

The only grey market seller I can think of is Universe of Tabletop. If you've found someone cheaper and as reliable, by all means tell me.

:filez: talk is still banworthy, so if someone is found to be cheaper and more reliable, they won't be posted here.

• Locked thread