Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Cardiac posted:

So we get the teen version of Bloody-Nine?
At least we won't get the teen version of Glokta, considering he is neutered.

On this, which characters are actually viable for having kids.

Clearly what we need is the spawn of Ninefingers and Ferro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cardiac posted:

At least we won't get the teen version of Glokta, considering he is neutered.

Keeping in mind who Glotka married, and why, there's a better-than-even chance that we'll at least get a teenager who was raised by Glotka, which is about as good.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Braking Gnus posted:

Clearly what we need is the spawn of Ninefingers and Ferro.

This would be cool. I'm wary, though, because I've never read a story about the children of the original cast that was as good as the original.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Play posted:

I think that's the problem with Khalul too: he has a simple motivation and anyways he's basically just Bayaz's counterpart. Just picture a Bayaz who's darker in skin color. They have the same lack of morals, the same unlimited influence, the same ancient grudge.
Given Abercrombie's love of inverting tropes, if we ever do see a lot of Khalul, I bet he'll be completely reasonable and relatable and likable and not at all a villain.

Pessimisten
Mar 24, 2008
I THINK TERRORISM IS OK, BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALLY THE TERRORIST THAT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, IT'S THE CAPITALIST SOCIETY PIGS. ALLAH AHKBAR!

syphon posted:

Given Abercrombie's love of inverting tropes, if we ever do see a lot of Khalul, I bet he'll be completely reasonable and relatable and likable and not at all a villain.

My guess would be he is driven by desperation and actually hates all the steps he has to take. But there's something, a thing that will happen at a certain time or some lost relic or poo poo like that, only he and Bayaz knows about that forces his hand, because Bayaz can't be left alone to assume control over it.

Or knowing Abercrombie, that's how he'll be written from his own perspective. But hidden in the details you'll see something else. Maybe that's what got him started, a good excuse to cross a line he once told himself he wouldn't, but in reality he grew to like what he does a long time ago. Abercrombie likes writing about the good in evil men and the evil in men that tell themselves they're good. And i think Khalul has been set up to be both at once.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
The thing that makes me really hyped up for a book with Khalul POV is Bayaz's character development.

In the trilogy, he set himself up as the Glinda to Khalul's Wicked Witch of the West. Over the course of the books, we learned that he's the immortal monster set on world domination, and that as nasty as Khalul is anyone who opposes Bayaz is probably doing something right.

Contrast to how we went from understanding Kanedias as a bad guy, to someone probably not as bad as Bayaz, to actually being a pretty swell dude if the culture of the Dragon People is any indication.

I just really want to see how Khalul sizes up.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Down With People posted:

I just really want to see how Khalul sizes up.

Well, from what we've seen of the Eaters and stuff Khalul is pretty awful too. All the wizards are awful, they're all spiteful, angry, horribly dangerous relics of a horribly dangerous era that are wrecking the modern day so they can score points on each other. The difference between Kahlul and Bayaz is that Khalul uses the dogma of religion to control his pawns while Bayaz uses the dogma of finance.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Yeah the whole eater thing is a severe black mark for Khalul, and the only defense that can be offered is that his back was up against a wall and that he was doing it to take out Byaz.

I will say that there is a reason the first law is the first law and the second is the second. What Byaz did with Ferro and the seed is, in my opinion, far more dangerous and irresponsible than anything Khalul ever did. It's fortunate for everyone that the seal was not broken, but I really have to wonder if the world below is going to come up in the next trilogy.

As far as Wizards, the guy who got trapped in the Makers house seemed like a really good guy. Same with the guy who talked to birds, though knowing Abercrombie he's probably a monster too...

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Well, from what we've seen of the Eaters and stuff Khalul is pretty awful too. All the wizards are awful, they're all spiteful, angry, horribly dangerous relics of a horribly dangerous era that are wrecking the modern day so they can score points on each other. The difference between Kahlul and Bayaz is that Khalul uses the dogma of religion to control his pawns while Bayaz uses the dogma of finance.

Yeah, it's basically the Catholic Church vs Wall Street. gently caress em' both.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
A twenty year jump could see the Union fielding soldiers armed with muskets and cannons. Give it a hundred year jump and we could definitely see fairly advanced firearms (Bayaz and all his economic might will probably push weapon research to the forefront)

And then we can get Demons breaking through the seal and humans fighting them with firearms. That'd be cool

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Okay, yeah, Khalul looks pretty awful but...

You know...

...something.

Blind Melon posted:

Same with the guy who talked to birds, though knowing Abercrombie he's probably a monster too...

Since I'm pretty sure the last we see of him is trying to manipulate the power-players of a backwards-rear end city out in the Far Country if he's evil then at the very least he's incompetent about it.

Down With People fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 21, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

wiegieman posted:

To be fair though, Bayaz started it :v:

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 21, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah but did he?! he did

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah but did he?! he did

What does it matter now, who killed who a thousand years ago?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Jack Ketch posted:

What does it matter now, who killed who a thousand years ago?

It might not matter in the real world because everyone involved would be long dead, but in Abercrombie's world it does matter because most of the relevant parties are still alive and nursing grudges.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

It might not matter in the real world because everyone involved would be long dead, but in Abercrombie's world it does matter because most of the relevant parties are still alive and nursing grudges.

Not sure if you missed it but that was a direct quote from the books in regards to this same topic.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gorst and Morveer are goon heroes because they are asperger's as gently caress. Gorst is like a super buff watch and weight goon who spends all his time working out out of spite because he is enraged that a girl made fun of him in high school when he tried to ask her out. Morveer is the type of goon who is obsessed with something obscure and pathetic that nobody else cares about, like obscure anime, and is convinced that anybody else who does not agree with his taste in obscure anime is an uncultured dog who will never be on his level.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Morveer was just the most compelling useless wanker. I mean, Abercrombie can usually seem get behind anybody but with Morveer you just felt the dislike seeping out of the ink. I hated him but he was really interesting to read about because he was totalling 'spergin ever so slightly and it was great.

There was a lot of Cosca in Gorst.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Gorst and Morveer are goon heroes because they are asperger's as gently caress. Gorst is like a super buff watch and weight goon who spends all his time working out out of spite because he is enraged that a girl made fun of him in high school when he tried to ask her out. Morveer is the type of goon who is obsessed with something obscure and pathetic that nobody else cares about, like obscure anime, and is convinced that anybody else who does not agree with his taste in obscure anime is an uncultured dog who will never be on his level.

And Logen is every loser who has a :supaburn: HIDDEN DARK SIDE :supaburn: on the Internet

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Don't forg Friendly! Spergy sociopath with a hidden soft side.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Blind Melon posted:

Don't forg Friendly! Spergy sociopath with a hidden soft side.

Luv 2 :dice:

Friendly was a pretty awesome character, he was the ultimate straight man to anyone's crazy schemes.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Zasze posted:

Luv 2 :dice:

Friendly was a pretty awesome character, he was the ultimate straight man to anyone's crazy schemes.

You knew it's a hosed up world where an assassin Rain Man who wants to go back to jail is the straight man.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

You knew it's a hosed up world where an assassin Rain Man who wants to go back to jail is the straight man.

I loving loved Friendly, he just wants to chill in his routine and roll his dice.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Mr Crustacean posted:

I loving loved Friendly, he just wants to chill in his routine and roll his dice.

I don't get all the people who keep wanting to see Logen since obviously the next trilogy should be about Friendly constantly failing to have a chill routine because of all the crazy people he plays sidekick to.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I would read the poo poo out of that.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Mr Crustacean posted:

"You apologize to my loving dice!" is one of the best lines ever put to print.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Greenlit posted:

"You apologize to my loving dice!" is one of the best lines ever put to print.
It seriously is.

That entire chapter is one of my favorite things Abercrombie has ever written. Throughout the entire thing I was just thinking, "Oh god, oh no..." as things progressively fell more and more apart.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It took me a while to push into the home stretch of Last Argument of Kings, but goddamn this poo poo is good. It's kind of funny because I tried many, many times to begin The Blade Itself but found the beginning so uninteresting. Logen seemed pretty generic and the Shanka just weren't much of a hook. Even after getting into the meat of the book, it was something I didn't relish. By the second book, I understood the characters and enjoyed reading about all of them (except Ferro). It, and several other books, saw me through a stay at hospital. But after getting to about the halfway point of Last Argument everything has clicked. Even though I don't find the world that interesting, I want to read all I can of the varying characters. Jezal, of all people, has become likeable. I hope for more from the stand-alones!

As long as there's no more Ferro.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
You're just getting to the good bits, friend.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
At the end of the series, Jezal was my favorite character (just because of his character progression).

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, Jezal ended up being my favorite character, mostly because his character was half hilarious, throwing a hissy fit and decking an uppity senator with a loving tea cup, and half tragic, lying in his own vomit, tearfully regretting how little he appreciated his previous carefree life, how much he had lost, and how much of a fool he truly was as Bayaz walked away smirking. Speaking of which that was probably my favorite scene ever written by Abercrombie, it was so dark and genius.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Yeah, Jezal ended up being my favorite character, mostly because his character was half hilarious, throwing a hissy fit and decking an uppity senator with a loving tea cup, and half tragic, lying in his own vomit, tearfully regretting how little he appreciated his previous carefree life, how much he had lost, and how much of a fool he truly was as Bayaz walked away smirking. Speaking of which that was probably my favorite scene ever written by Abercrombie, it was so dark and genius.

Yeah, poor Jezal. He just gets to become King. His life must be so poo poo having to marry that hot lesbian while taking orders from a dude that is hardly ever around.

If anything he should be thanking Bayaz every chance he gets. Bayaz was right to put that ungrateful emo little-poo poo in his place.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Space Pussy posted:

Yeah, poor Jezal. He just gets to become King. His life must be so poo poo having to marry that hot lesbian while taking orders from a dude that is hardly ever around.

If anything he should be thanking Bayaz every chance he gets. Bayaz was right to put that ungrateful emo little-poo poo in his place.

A king who has no say in anything and is just going to be a tool to perpetuate Bayaz's eternal cycle of suffering he causes to everyone in the kingdom, despite genuinely wanting to make things better. Yep. he gets to gently caress a hot lesbian chick- who hates his guts and is going to go back to hating him once he impregnates her, and who he doesn't like anyway. And yep, Bayaz is barely around- but Glokta, his other tool and the real ruler of the Union, is. Jezal was kind of a pissant but his life does genuinely suck now.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

A king who has no say in anything and is just going to be a tool to perpetuate Bayaz's eternal cycle of suffering he causes to everyone in the kingdom, despite genuinely wanting to make things better. Yep. he gets to gently caress a hot lesbian chick- who hates his guts and is going to go back to hating him once he impregnates her, and who he doesn't like anyway. And yep, Bayaz is barely around- but Glokta, his other tool and the real ruler of the Union, is. Jezal was kind of a pissant but his life does genuinely suck now.

So a King that can gently caress any whore he wishes, eats better than anyone within a 1000 miles and none of the responsibility? Sure beats living as a bastard peasant in this grimdark world. Yeah, Jezal really has it rough.

Even if Bayaz let him continue his other life, Jezal doesn't win the contest, probably ends up with a Northern axe in his chest, or a mid-level captain cripple like glokta which then hangs himself in by the time he is 30 having to deal with his insufferable wife's alcohol problem.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Space Pussy posted:

So a King that can gently caress any whore he wishes, eats better than anyone within a 1000 miles and none of the responsibility? Sure beats living as a bastard peasant in this grimdark world. Yeah, Jezal really has it rough.

Never said his life was worse than the other characters, just that... yeah, it is pretty bad. The entire point is that he doesn't want to be king and that he just wants to go back to training with wooden swords and fleecing his friends at cards. Undoubtedly some of that is whining but the entire point is by the end he actually wanted to do things as king and instead he's been relegated to a puppet, that isn't happy ending material.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Never said his life was worse than the other characters, just that... yeah, it is pretty bad. The entire point is that he doesn't want to be king and that he just wants to go back to training with wooden swords and fleecing his friends at cards. Undoubtedly some of that is whining but the entire point is by the end he actually wanted to do things as king and instead he's been relegated to a puppet, that isn't happy ending material.

No he doesn't have it 'bad'.

You do realize without Bayaz, Jezal grows up a whore's bastard. Probably ends up a begger with how emo he's wired.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Space Pussy posted:

No he doesn't have it 'bad'.

You do realize without Bayaz, Jezal grows up a whore's bastard. Probably ends up a begger with how emo he's wired.

No, he'd go on to win glory in Angland actually, probably without ever doing any actual fighting. He gets called a hero by peasants on the street just due to rumors about the poo poo he did going for the Seed, do you think he wouldn't be considered a hero coming back from Anglang?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

No, he'd go on to win glory in Angland actually, probably without ever doing any actual fighting. He gets called a hero by peasants on the street just due to rumors about the poo poo he did going for the Seed, do you think he wouldn't be considered a hero coming back from Anglang?

I think he's referring to the whole bit about Bayaz basically taking him off the street as a baby and having him adopted into a noble house.

That doesn't make him right, of course. There's a difference between a "good" life and a fulfilling one. Jezal has a good life in that anything he physically needs is provided, but he can do nothing he truly wishes to do, a lot of which is wanting to actually help the people stuck in a cycle of powerlessness and destitution perpetuated by the man controlling him.

But he gets to gently caress a hot woman so what an emo bitch I guess.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think he's referring to the whole bit about Bayaz basically taking him off the street as a baby and having him adopted into a noble house.

That doesn't make him right, of course. There's a difference between a "good" life and a fulfilling one. Jezal has a good life in that anything he physically needs is provided, but he can do nothing he truly wishes to do, a lot of which is wanting to actually help the people stuck in a cycle of powerlessness and destitution.

But he gets to gently caress a hot woman so what an emo bitch I guess.

Oh yeah, I forgot Bayaz was the one who got him into a noble house in the first place. And that basically summarizes what I'm getting at, there's a difference between a fulfilling and good life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man, I The Heroes taught me to absolutely hate Gorst. Abercrombie did a good job of explaining his character and letting us see why Gorst is Gorst, but Jesus he's just a rabid attack dog with few redeeming features. All he does is lust after Finree in the gooniest possible way. To him she's not even a person, just a pretty idea for his spank bank. I love how Abercrombie subverts the hero trope with Gorst because, were we to not see into Gorst's mind, he would seem like a kind of tragic hero.

He seems brave and valiant (but really just has a suicidal death wish).

He seems loyal (but really hates everything about who he is and would defect if he wasn't so much of a coward).

He seems unjustly handled and tragic (but really his fall came about because he was getting drunk and banging a prostitute instead of, you know, being the king's body guard).

It's great to see Gorst almost become self-aware of his lovely flaws/self-obsessed nature at the end of The Heroes, but nope! He just says "SOMETIMES I SHOULD JUST SHUT UP BECAUSE I HAVE A SQUEAKY VOICE" and learns nothing. It's so great.

On that note, I also have to congratulate Abercrombie on making another strong female lead in Finree the verbal lashing she gave Gorst at the end of The Heroes was born out of such righteous fury, and, in my mind at least, is what cements her as a person, not just some hot chick for dudes to lust after.

Basically Gorst has a 'nice-guy' complex and is a bad person.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 30, 2013