Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Show of hands: Who thinks the latest body is going to be the woman who threatened Carole?

Zola fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Carole is great. Her reaction to getting a gun pulled on her by a dangerous lunatic was priceless.

Thoughts:
Obviously the most important event of these five chapters is the encounter with the mystery woman at Carole's house. Notable points:
-The woman may have been on drugs. This forms something of a connection to the marks on the wrist of the body. Together in some kind of drug smuggling plot?
-Someone described Carole to her - "You fit the description". Whatever's going on, there are at least two non-body people in on it, and one of them saw Carole when she found the body.
-She cares deeply about whether or not Carole found a knife on the body. No doubt the knife would have been killer evidence. Was it there or not? No way to know, Carole didn't check the pockets.

New characters:
Ted Crisp - Lecherous loser, owns the pub
Rory Turnbull - Dentist
Barbara Turnbull - Rory's wife, described but not seen
Bill Chilcott - Alcoholic, has at least been in the area of the Yacht Club
Sandra Chilcott - Bill's wife, who he regularly avoids, deeply religious

There have been break-ins at the Yacht Club. No doubt related to the fact that the body was wearing a Yacht Club life preserver.

What does Jude know about drug smuggling on the South Coast?

Zola posted:

Show of hands: Who thinks the latest body is going to be the woman who threatened Carole?

I like this theory. Nobody said, after all, that the body found in chapter 8 was the same as the one Carole saw...

If anyone's worried about not being able to catch up, don't - these really are tiny chapters, and reading all eight should generally only take an hour or two.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 29, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Zola posted:

Yeah, I'll get behind this.

At the very least, the police will probably call her in again since a body was found, just not necessarily the right one.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 1, 2013

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

If anyone's worried about not being able to catch up, don't - these really are tiny chapters, and reading all eight should generally only take an hour or two.

25 minutes. :getin:

I definitely like this idea that this is a new body, and probably the one of the woman who threatened her. Then the police will really think she's crazy if she tells them that.

Jude seemed to sidestep questions about relationships/kids so she might have some kind of mysterious past there. I kind of think she'll turn out to be connected with someone else in the town.

The Duke of Avon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 31, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I think almost everything has been covered already. The two key points of the new chapters were a) the woman with the gun and b) setting up various secondary characters through the pub visit. I agree that the body will not be the same that Carole found. She'll confront the police, be embarrased and try to solve the crime herself, helped by Jude.

The only thing I'd like to point out is that getting your hands on a gun isn't easy in the UK. My suspicion is that the woman is a random druggie who was sent to threaten Carole into silence by someone more powerful who wouldn't want to get their hands dirty.

We've got the introduction out of the way now so let's hope the actual investigation starts and some clues are coming our way.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Finally got a chance to catch up. Have to say I'm enjoying the book so far. I love Carole already.

I don't trust Jude. I don't know why. I think she's trying too hard. Who beats a carpet in the 1990s/2000s? Also her suggestion that they work together because the police aren't going to do anything wound sound reasonable in a Golden Age detective novel but sounds odd in this context. I could be entirely wrong. I'm probably entirely wrong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok, now that Maud has caught up, I think we are ready to proceed. Quidnose, you seemed like the last one catching up, so if you need more time before the next chunk, just let me know.

Please read the next 4 chapters, to the end of Chapter 12.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Okay, there is definitely more to Jude than meets the eye. It seems to early and too obvious for her to be the murderer. My next thought was that she was a detective (police or otherwise) sent to investigate the smuggling that is apparently a problem in the area. But if she's a professional of any sort, surely she'd have an alias in place rather than constantly and obviously drawing attention to the fact that she doesn't want to give her last name? I really don't know what's up with her at all.

As for the knife — it seems like J T Carpets is probably either dead body number one or else the girl who came to threaten Carole. I'm inclined to suspect the latter.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jude. :allears:

Isn't it a 'rule' of mystery stories that the detective(s) not be the culprit? I like the idea of a professional myself, but I'm not sure how well that goes with the time period. I think I'd prefer it if she was just a slightly eccentric woman with a knack for mysteries.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 1, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Accidentally read chapter 13! Won't talk about it here.

Body is someone new. Unknown identity, unknown connection to the last one.
The body could not have washed out to sea.
Okay, other stuff, some minor clues, yada yada let's talk about that knife!

The knife was found in the boat. Drug Lady was looking for the knife. She knew it was missing, but didn't know where it was. From this, we can conclude that Drug Lady's last encounter with the body was AFTER it had already been removed from the boat - she knows the knife is missing, and the knife was in the same place as him until he was out of the boat. The story of the first body is getting increasingly convoluted:
1. Victim slain.
2. Body probably dumped into the river.
3. Body washes up on shore.
4. Carole discovers body.
5. Body is moved to the boat.
6. Knife falls out of body's pocket.
7. Body is moved out of boat.
8. Drug Lady checks body for knife, doesn't find it.

This implies at least 2 conspirators, as it requires someone other than Drug Lady to move the body. Not sure what else to conclude yet.

Last thought:
Jude T Carpets :getin:

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

Isn't it a 'rule' of mystery stories that the detective(s) not be the culprit? I like the idea of a professional myself, but I'm not sure how well that goes with the time period. I think I'd prefer it if she was just a slightly eccentric woman with a knack for mysteries.

I suppose it is a rule... but not one that's never been broken before. :ninja: I dunno, I was suspicious of Jude from before she became one of our detectives but I don't think she'll be the killer. I do think something is going on, though.

ProfessorProf posted:

The knife was found in the boat. Drug Lady was looking for the knife. She knew it was missing, but didn't know where it was. From this, we can conclude that Drug Lady's last encounter with the body was AFTER it had already been removed from the boat - she knows the knife is missing, and the knife was in the same place as him until he was out of the boat.

Is this necessarily true? If the knife fell out of his pocket and got frozen under the water the way it was when Jude found it, Drug Lady could have found the body in the boat and moved it to elsewhere without ever seeing the knife. Especially if she did it in the dark.

Also, it seems weird to me that Drug Lady's first instinct wasn't to think the knife washed away while Body was in the river / sea. Did she see the body on the beach and know the knife was there then?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
I also had the thought that perhaps Jude was undercover.

Is the name significant? St. Jude is the patron of lost causes...

Zola fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 17, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
My theory about Jude is that she's got a past with drugs. Maybe someone in her family is a prominent criminal, which would explain her reluctance to give away her family name. I believe an undercover cop would do a better job of blending in.

I'm convinced the crazy drug lady is just a crazy drug lady. She's a random druggie who was sent by someone else to intimidate Carole. Either way, it's worth noting that the person who hid the knife is not working with the crazy drug lady/her employer, otherwise she wouldn't have asked about it.

But then maybe the knife wasn't even hidden there, but lost? There's other reasons the rope could have been cut.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Other thoughts from my notes I didn't have in front of me when I wrote my last post:

Jude is reluctant to divulge her last name, which adds to my "Jude T. Carpets" theory.

Sea wall repairs are going on near the Yacht Club. This seems like it could be important, not sure why yet.

The Yacht Club lost a barmaid last Friday. When was the body found?

Rory is the treasurer of the Yacht Club, Bill isn't a member. Bill is generally despised by the community.

“I wonder,” said Jude. “Do you think there’s a kind of person who would give their boat the same name as their house?” <- What's this line about? Do we know of a house named Brigadoon II?

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

“I wonder,” said Jude. “Do you think there’s a kind of person who would give their boat the same name as their house?” <- What's this line about? Do we know of a house named Brigadoon II?

The big house Jude went to for the church meeting (the dentist and his wife live there, I think, but I can't remember their names and I left my book at work) was called Brigadoon

VireDesi
Feb 1, 2007
So mystery novels are a new genre to me. In fact, i'm not sure if I can name a single one I have ever read. However, I always enjoy expanding my horizons and this seems like an awesome way to get me motivated. The entire genre greatly interests me and the discussion and attempting to collectively solve the story further excitements. I know i'm twelve chapters behind, but i'm going to go ahead and catch up and hopefully join you guys for next read-to break and future books. Assuming no one objects.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

VireDesi posted:

So mystery novels are a new genre to me. In fact, i'm not sure if I can name a single one I have ever read. However, I always enjoy expanding my horizons and this seems like an awesome way to get me motivated. The entire genre greatly interests me and the discussion and attempting to collectively solve the story further excitements. I know i'm twelve chapters behind, but i'm going to go ahead and catch up and hopefully join you guys for next read-to break and future books. Assuming no one objects.

With the pace of this book, twelve chapters is nothing. Welcome aboard!

VireDesi
Feb 1, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

With the pace of this book, twelve chapters is nothing. Welcome aboard!

Thanks! I already managed to get up to chapter 8, and will finish the rest later tonight. I'll reserve thoughts till I am properly caught up with the crowd. How often does the group change the "read to" limit?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Usually whenever discussion on that section of the story slows.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I don't think Jude is a professional investigator but I think she did come there specifically for some mystery-related reason. I feel like there have to be people in town she already knows, but either they're pretending they don't know her or we haven't run into them yet.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell the new body has to do with anything? Because I don't.

The Duke of Avon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 9, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

VireDesi posted:

How often does the group change the "read to" limit?

Usually whenever the guy in charge remembers to come in here and post...whoops!

But at least it allowed a new person to jump on! VireDesi, let me know if you are caught up and want to post some thoughts, otherwise I will post the new assignment shortly.

VireDesi
Feb 1, 2007

The Duke of Avon posted:

I don't think Jude is a professional investigator but I think she did come there specifically for some mystery-related reason. I feel like there have to be people in town she already knows, but either they're pretending they don't know her or we haven't run into them yet.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell the new body has to do with anything? Because I don't.

I agree, Jude is certainly not law enforcement, and i'm guessing not a P.I. either. Admittedly, i'm basing this off of a very American style of thinking, but a true law enforcement agent would not be so cavalier about breaking in to clubs/boats/handling evidence nonchalantly. I suppose a P.I. might be more laid back about such things, but from the moment I met Jude I felt these weren't options for her.

In fact, my original gut reaction was that Jude was directly involved in the crime, but not on the legal side. The small sentence about her knowing about drugs just solidified that for me. Not to mention:

ProfessorProf posted:

Jude is reluctant to divulge her last name, which adds to my "Jude T. Carpets" theory.

Sea wall repairs are going on near the Yacht Club. This seems like it could be important, not sure why yet.

The Yacht Club lost a barmaid last Friday. When was the body found?

Yup, i'm totally with you on the Jude T. Carpets theory. Way too coincidental otherwise. However, the flip side to this is, if she is J.T. Carpets. Why would she willingly direct Carole straight to the murder weapon? Assuming she is J.T. Carpets she either A) is the one who killed the old man or B) had her knife stolen by someone (The crazy woman? Maybe the crazy woman was a drug runner accomplice?) who killed the old man. Either way it's a little odd to me that she'd bee-line for the weapon that she (most likely) knew exactly where it was.

I feel like the sea wall repairs have just been a backdrop to account for how so much 'action' could go on around the Yacht Club without anyone hearing. In my opinion the Yacht Club is more pivotal than the repairs. In fact, whoever the villains are, it seems clearly drug related to me, and I think the Yacht Club plays a pivotal part in that. Which leads me to...

The body was found two days prior chapter 12. I _think_. Correct me if this time line is wrong (going in reverse). Monday - Jude goes to the luncheon at the Brigadoon, that afternoon she meets with Carole and they interrogate the Yacht Club Vice-Commodore. Sunday - Carole is hung over, hangs out with Jude, we find out that a young boy's body was found that morning. Saturday - Beginning of book, Carole discovers older man's body on beach. That night Carole and Jude paaaartay.

Assuming that timeline is correct (the parts i'm most iffy on is Monday afternoon. Did Jude come from the lunch straight to Carole, or had another day passed?), then your implied theory about barmaid leaving -> body next day fits perfectly. I think the barmaid leaving is incredibly important but I see it more as the drug-ring job that has brought all the drama to Fethering was either completed, or botched, and the barmaid was in on it and therefore it was time to leave.

A lot of that is kind of reiterating what others have said, and I don't have a firm hypothesis yet, but that a least helps to straighten out a few things for me. Definitely ready to read on!

edit: Also any chance the barmaid is the woman who attacked Carole? This is a long shot, but it would fit that Carole had never seen her before, plus the woman was out of town worker, so it's not as though Carole would see her despite having very little to do with the Yacht Club. Like I said, this is a loose theory, and honestly more me trying to condense the number of "unknown" people in the story. But it's a possibility! It would also fit both my theory on the barmaid and/or ProfessorProf's.

Also also - Though theories are different, we all seem to agree that Jude is not who she would want us to think she is. So from that perspective, and looking back over my timeline, I'm starting to think that Jude's consta-"here Carole, have a drink!" is not because she's some hang-life-by-a-shoe-string party girl that we've been led to believe. In fact, now I'm beginning to think that she's purposely trying to keep Carole in a perpetual state of psuedo-drunkeness. Just not sure...why.

VireDesi fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 31, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Excellent!

Okay well to give you guys some more to discuss, please read the next 5 chapters, up to (but not including) chapter 18.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It sounds like J.T. Carpets is some sort of carpet-making company? I suppose there's still the possibility that Jude is related to them somehow, but maybe it is just a coincidence. Hmm.

This Brad sounds like he could be her superior, or he might just be a close friend/lover.

The big revelation of this chunk seems to be the family connection between the dead Aaron and his mother. Although if he's dead for drug-related reasons (whether he knew too much or the drugs killed him), why would she be taking drugs while looking for a knife that belongs to a carpet-making company?

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 18, 2013

VireDesi
Feb 1, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

It sounds like J.T. Carpets is some sort of carpet-making company? I suppose there's still the possibility that Jude is related to them somehow, but maybe it is just a coincidence. Hmm.

This Brad sounds like he could be her superior, or he might just be a close friend/lover.

The big revelation of this chunk seems to be the family connection between the dead Aaron and his mother. Although if he's dead for drug-related reasons (whether he knew too much or the drugs killed him), why would she be taking drugs while looking for a knife that belongs to a carpet-making company?

I'm still going to say it's Jude. I think the whole carpet company thing was a throw-off. Maybe I'm creating something not there, but even the convo between Carole and the carpet company just seemed total dead-end and not relevant to the true owner of the knife.

Yeah, I think ProfessorProf made some comment earlier about Jude knowing people in town we'd yet to meet. Clearly Brad fits that category. Just far too little info right now to pinpoint exactly which of those three roles he is.

The mother confuses me like none other, for the exact reasons you named. I'm almost reluctant to comment since it seems obvious the next chapter is going to answer A LOT of the questions about her. I guess my current stance on it is that i'm assuming he died cause of some backlash of what she was in to. She clearly seemed more wrapped up in the original death/drug issues than she appears once on TV. So it makes sense to me her son would be "collateral damage" from her actions.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Interesting section.

Any significance to the RDO Inspection? Nothing comes to mind, but a big deal was made of it in the text.

First a barmaid (Tanya?) leaving at the Yacht Club, and now a new cook joining the Crown and Anchor. I can't believe all these job shifts are entirely coincidental, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

The neck wounds were not what killed the first Body on the Beach. Not sure what the significance of that is, we didn't get a good inspection of the corpse before it vanished.

And the big one - Theresa Spalding. Mother of the second victim. Knew about the first victim. What if she isn't an accomplice at all?

Suppose Body 1 is Theresa's husband, and the Carpets knife is a vital clue to either finding or proving the killer's identity. Theresa sees Carole inspect the body, but doesn't get to it herself. The body moves. She finds it again at some future point, but the knife is gone by then. She hunts down Carole trying to get the knife in order to stop the killer from claiming a second victim. Carole doesn't know where the knife is. The killer remains at large, and offs Aaron.

Just a theory. Whatever happens, chapter 18 is going to be very interesting.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 18, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Well, I'm baffled. The only really useful thing I picked up this chapter was that the ex-barmaid, Tanya, is possibly the person Carole saw on the beach the morning she found the first body. They had the same colour anorak, anyway, so it's either a (very subtle) red herring or they're one and the same.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Let's recap what we know:

Carole runs into (probably) the barmaid as she finds the first body.
The old man was stabbed, but that didn't kill him.
The body is wearing a Yacht Club lifewest.
He is quickly hidden.
Theresa shows up at Carole's and asks about the knife. Contemplates killing Carole to ensure her silence.
She knows about Carole from someone else.
Theresa's dead son is washed ashore next day. Media report that he has drowned. Theresa mentions that drugs are to blame.
A knife (probably the weapon that was used on the old man) is found in Rory Turnbull's boat.
Rory Turnbull is an unhappy but wealthy dentist.
He's part of a Yacht Club in an area where drugs are smuggled along the coast.
His wife is part of some super elite inner circle and probably well-connected.

IIRC the fog was pretty thick on the first day and the barmaid was the only one who could have recognized Carole. That's one thing settled.

Theresa is a different beast though. She wants to keep one body hidden, but the second one is her son and she talks to the media about him too. That alone is a good indicator that they have died under different circumstances. But then there's inconsistencies. First she's behaving like a druggie then she blames drugs on TV? Why is she not in the phonebook? The book often makes a point out of how crap the local media are, meaning they're probably easy to fool. Could Theresa be a fake?

I'm glad we can wait with our final theories until right before the reveal. Surely we've got a few more twists and red herrings to wade through before we can produce something useful.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok, looks like discussion has sufficiently died down.

There are some meaty sections coming up but you guys seems to be keeping up pretty steadily, so we will read another 5 chapters, through the end of chapter 22.

(I also have a pretty busy week coming up so I might not be able to check the thread consistently, but I will try to give another update before the middle of next week)

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Yay. Got to read the chapters on my lunch hour, now I can leave the book at work over the weekend.

New theory: I think the original body on the beach was Nick's dad. This is more because he's someone who's missing that someone in our story can actually identify than from anything in the text, but I'm standing by it for now. If that's true, then surely Nick recognised his father, and told his mum who the body on the beach was? In which case, she's lying about not knowing where he is an the logical conclusion is to be suspicious of her.

Less out-there theories: I think the boys probably made the cuts on our body's neck. Carole worked out they couldn't have been cause of death and were probably made post-mortem so that seems logical. This doesn't gel particularly well with my above theory. Would Nick have allowed them to desecrate his dad's body? Maybe they were trying to bring him back to life? Aaron seems to have got that idea from somewhere, after all.

Probably irrelevant theory: I think Aaron did indeed try to hold up an off-license with his 'toy' gun. Or else Dylan did. It just seems a really specific thing for his mother to suddenly tell Jude he wouldn't do. No one was thinking he was before she said it! Can't really see how that fits in with anything else in the story, though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Read it. I don't really know what to think; I do like the idea of it being Nick's dad, but he left, why would he come back? For money? Drug ring in the area?

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I was thinking the same thing about the dead body being Sam. This is reinforced when Nick says the he couldn't tell "his mother of all people". Also Sam is said to have been a heroin-junkie. The dead body was marked by needles.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

That never occurred to me but it seems like a good idea. Also, I feel like the Turnbulls must be heavily involved somehow, they're showing up so much. I think Rory probably knows what's going on but is afraid to say/is covering for someone - if anyone else turns up dead I think it'll be him.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Massive cluedump/speculation post time!

Jude mentioned she's lived in plenty worse than Theresa's background. Just who IS she?

Fake gun, belonging to Dylan. Not sure how this fits in with everything, or if it's a dead end.

Going back to look at the first confrontation with Theresa: “It was a woman with a beige raincoat and a Labrador,” she went on. “You fit the description.” <- Whose description? Aaron's? That seems like the only person we know she's talked to about this whole incident.
The curious thing about this scene for me, though, is that she specifically asks about a knife here, but in her later interview, she mentions that she was worried about an item with Aaron's name on it. The knife we found didn't have any names on it other than J.T. Carpets. What's up with this? Are there two knives?

Aaron, Dylan, and Nick got high, talked about black magic (?), and broke into the Yacht Club to mess around. Did they find the dead body while they were there? What's all this talk about a 'test'? Did someone challenge them to put something on the body as an attempt to deflect suspicion away from themselves?

Theresa assumed that Aaron's death was a suicide, but I'm not convinced. He easily could have been drowned.

Doesn't look like J.T. Carpets is Jude at this point.

The kids periodically show up at the pub. Probably irrelevant.

Who the hell is Brad? Just another aspect of the sub-mystery of Jude's identity, I guess.

Recent spate of burglaries in Fethering. Related to anything?

Dylan was a pretty cool customer, but he EXPLODED when Carole said she was going to keep the knife 'as evidence'. What is it evidence of?

Something is clearly up with Rory Turnbull. He seemed suspicious of Carole's presence at their home. What's this about?

Let's look back to the events of Monday. Things that happened, in my best guess of their order:
The kids, stoned and possibly drunk, break into the Yacht Club.
The kids find Body X, and do something to it. (Plant an object on it? Make cuts in the neck? At whose ordering?)
The kids split up. Around 1 AM. Nick is still pretty together at this point.
Around 7 AM: Someone (young, male) calls Nick, and says something that freaks him out and makes him run to the beach.
Something happens on the beach.
Nick returns, hysterical, and refuses to explain to his mother what happened.

Looking at both Theresa and Maggie's testimonies, this gets complicated. Consider:
The kids all interacted with a dead body in their first visit, at 1 AM.
Nick was fine after the 1AM trip, but broke down after the 7AM trip.
When Carole went on her walk Tuesday morning, the body was on the beach.

Ramifications:
A body was found in the Yacht Club on Monday night. Body X was found on the beach Tuesday morning by Carole. Body X was later found in the Yacht Club. How does this add up?
Was the body moved twice? Impossible, there's no reason to drag it down to the beach, then back up to the Yacht Club.
Is there a third body? Aaron wasn't dead at this point.
The person in the green jacket Carole saw on the way to the body was probably the person who called Nick.

This was a VERY interesting segment. My head is swimming with ideas, but I can't figure out what to do with them - hopefully someone else can help put this all together into a coherent theory.

As an aside, I totally motion for putting more Fethering books on our to-read list. This is fantastic.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 13, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sorry, wanted to post an update yesterday but got caught up. Anyway, discussion seemed staggered this time so hopefully everyone has had a chance to catch up. I wasn't sure if the missing posters were behind or just hadn't come up with anything to comment on. Let me know if you guys think we need to slow down or even speed up.

Read the next 4 chapters, through chapter 26

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I'm still kind of confused about the timeline of things so hopefully ProfessorProf will clarify everything again. :v:

I knew something was going to happen with Rory Turnbull! I'm very suspicious of this whole suicide situation but I think we need more information on that. His mother-in-law at least seems to think he's involved with the drug stuff.

The work on the sea wall HAS to be important. Could the dead guy have been a worker? Though in that case I guess they would have noticed he was missing. The only thing I could find that might be relevant is that there are padlocked chests there where fishermen keep their equipment. It doesn't seem like the body was ever there, though...could the body have been someone who found something else there? It's right by the Yacht Club and my current theory is that the Yacht Club is the centre of some kind of drug-smuggling ring, so maybe they had something hidden around the sea wall.

The Duke of Avon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 9, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Okay, so my 'dead body is Nick's father' theory didn't last long... Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

One thing I did notice in this bit was that Nick said they wanted to take the body from the beach and put it 'back in the boat' so no one would know what they'd done. It's not entirely clear to me if that is what they actually did but if it is then it seems possible that Rory, who owns the boat, probably found the body at some point? That might relate to his disappearance. Or he could be our murderer, in which case he probably put the body in the boat in the first place. Nick said that Dylan had to cut the rope to lift the cover and get into the boat which kind of suggests to me that it wasn't previously cut which points to the boat's owner being the one who put the body there? I don't know. I'm reaching a bit, I think. I'm just still confused we don't know who the drat body is.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I wish we could get a clue on who the first body was. Jude doesn't know many people in Fethering but Carole does. Could it be a Fethering resident without her recognizing him? Or somebody from the Yacht Club? The book is vague on how well Carole knows certain people. Apart from age, gender and his lifewest we know absolutely nothing about the guy. We can't even exclude many people. What if it's the Commodore? Would Carole know that?

To the facts: the body was found on Rory's boat before it got to the beach. When the rope was cut by the teenagers the body had already been there. This implies Rory Turnbull - or somebody with access to his boat - in the crime. I refuse to believe that Rory disappeared because somebody found out he embezzled a minor sum of money. Maybe his disappearance is connected to the body in his boat?

The body had two knife marks. According to Nick, only Aaron made a mark. Minor detail, but still..

The knife marks turned out to be post-mortem. Is there still reason to believe it was a forceful death? Could it have been an accident?

Next to the first victim's identidy there's another big question mark for me and that's what happened on the morning that the body was found on the beach. Aaaron finds the body. Carole finds the body. Somebody in a green anorak (the barmaid?) finds the body and spots Carole, moves up to the Yacht Club. The body is removed by someone within the next few hours. Someone describes Carole to Theresa. Eventually Aaron dies and Rory disappears.

Only one person saw Carole, so was Aaron in the anorak? I can't figure this out, we're still missing something.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Two mentions of the sea wall repair noise pollution now. It must be relevant somehow.

The biggest point of confusion in the current sequence of events is that Dylan, Aaron and Nick found the body in the boat before Carol found the body in the beach. Was the body moved, or is there another body? Have any actual murders been committed, or could these all be accidents/suicides?

We can't tell what the motive is until we know who the victims are. We need a killer clue.

Also, where is the name written in blood? Theresa was looking for that, not for the knife. What happened to it?

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

ProfessorProf posted:

Two mentions of the sea wall repair noise pollution now. It must be relevant somehow.

The biggest point of confusion in the current sequence of events is that Dylan, Aaron and Nick found the body in the boat before Carol found the body in the beach. Was the body moved, or is there another body? Have any actual murders been committed, or could these all be accidents/suicides?

We can't tell what the motive is until we know who the victims are. We need a killer clue.

Also, where is the name written in blood? Theresa was looking for that, not for the knife. What happened to it?

I was under the impression the body had washed back on to the shore, so the water probably rinsed it away. I'll doublecheck that later.

Zola fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 17, 2013

• Locked thread