Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I was reading a few pages back and some of you guys were getting some supposedly awesome battery lives on the vzw gnex. I'm running CM10.1 M2 with franco leankernel (since it supposedly has better battery life?) and the battery life is still trash. I understand the whole thing about bad reception = battery drain and such, but really even when I'm just playing music the whole phone dies at twice the rate. And more than a few times did the phone get ridiculously hot for no apparent reason, then burn through 40% battery in a few minutes for no apparent reason, although I think this could just be some rogue app running somewhere.

The performance is also trash, but I can't tell whether to blame unpolished CM10.1, or my phone being old. Can anyone recommend some good battery saver/performance kernels or something? :psyduck: Or should I just get a new phone immediately?

M2 doesn't have the newer binaries. Install the most recent nightly, it'll have everything updated. I've been running the one from the 11th with no issues, and I use the stock kernel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Seven Round Things posted:

The actual clause isn't the problem, it's the power they must have if they're able to enforce it. I don't mind it being banned from Google services, or having its IMEI marked as stolen, or whatever- that all makes sense. But if by "disable" they mean "brick", then it's presumably phoning home frequently, asking its manufacturer whether it should stop working yet, and that's not something I want my device to be doing.

Why do you assume it's phoning home, rather than that they're sending it some kind of special packet, sms, or something else? A device doesn't have to constantly be in contact with a server to receive messages from it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why do you assume it's phoning home, rather than that they're sending it some kind of special packet, sms, or something else? A device doesn't have to constantly be in contact with a server to receive messages from it.
Whether the request is "push or pull" is entirely irrelevant. I'm sure his concern isn't the battery life consumption due to useless "should I brick myself yet?" polling.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

uapyro posted:

There's PDANet if you are okay with it actually being tethered (via a USB cable) or possible bluetooth.

If you want WiFi tether, I believe it's broke on the S3 at the moment on Sprint. You can root it if you haven't already with this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1746680

That's a very simple way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2044225 That should be the fixed Wifi tether for the S3 that also works on Sprint. If not let me know; even though it says TMobile I thought that was the one I used.

Sprint sent me a notice over SMS saying that I was tethering without their plan when I used PDANet+.
The dev was an rear end in a top hat when I tried to get a refund, claiming that I was the only one who got the message.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

AppleCobbler posted:

I've avoided AOSP roms for the Note 2 since I got, and actually only rooted it a month ago, because I wanted to get rid of the persistent nfc notification and adjust some of the toggles. After playing with the TW based Skynote 8 for a bit, I saw some potential in the AOSP based CarbonRom. It was the first one that I saw change to 4.2.2 and people seemed to be saying it was rock solid and heart touching.

So I tried it out, and my impressions were as follows:

-the first thing I checked was if the contacts app crashed on opening the dialer, as that seems to be a problem with cm10.1 roms on the note 2. It worked at first, but after I restored my texts it broke. Nothing fixed this except factory resetting.

-the lauded 4.2 camera didn't come with photosphere, instead it had some stupid regular panorama, and an hdr mode that crashed every time it was used. You also could not manually focus the phone when flash was enabled, as it caused the app to lock up.

-I was eager to use the 4.2 lockscreen widgets, even if some people don't like them. This is still the only part of stock 4.2 I miss. CR has an option for shortcuts on the main screen, which is different from the sliding targets. The only problem was they weren't centered, so you either had to put on 6 of them(of which I couldn't think of 6 apps that I needed to be able to access RIGHT loving NOW), or be stuck with off center icons.

-battery life was crummy compared to stock TW. One hour of screen on time and 6 hours of idling left me with 45%. In comparison, the stock rom got about 3.5 hours of screen on time, and 22 hours total before it hit 45%. Guess it's to be expected from a homebrew build, but was hoping for a bit better.

-still no pen input gestures. I had tried another AOSP Rom that claimed to have them, but it was actually just a mouse pointer wherever you hovered the pen.

Anyhow I went back to TW, and I couldn't be happier. Everything just works, and I still get to have my Photosphere and great battery life. All hail Samsung, you can't beat the 'Wiz.

I posted this a few pages back and wanted to make some amendments as I've tried Liquid Smooth's 4.2.2 ROM and have had a much better experience.

They released a Stable version on 3/17 for the Note 2, and that's the first of any ROM I've seen that's been named stable. It's not 100%, but a few things I've noticed:

-Phone and Contacts work as they should, no FC's. Voice integrates despite a buggy install and seems to work as advertised.

-Battery life seems to be way way better this round. I'm sitting at 75% with an hour and a half of screen on time and plenty of service updating and logging in plus a few minutes of calls and texts.

-Photosphere is loving absent. I guess they can't get it to play nice and keep the ability to use auto focus and flash. This is a let down, but at least there's a perfectly serviceable camera with all other features.

-Settings crashes if I go to use System Icons on the Notification Drawer shortcuts and I stay in the selection menu for more than 10 seconds. Not crippling, but you better be ready to find the right icon for your cat gif fanclub shortcut.

-S-Pen gestures work and are kinda neat. However they require you holding the button down when performing, and can be hit or miss. That said, the mouse pointer is cool looking on a phone. Hopefully they add a handwriting mode for using the pen to search or something because as it stands it's got no applicable uses without the Samsung Suite and Airview and S-Note (not that it has that much utility to begin with).

Overall, it's not quite rock solid, but fairly heart-touching. But, it's a good enough to be my daily driver for a little while.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Anonomono posted:

Sprint sent me a notice over SMS saying that I was tethering without their plan when I used PDANet+.
The dev was an rear end in a top hat when I tried to get a refund, claiming that I was the only one who got the message.

Wow no kidding? I've used PDANET on my Sprint service for years now and never got anything. I hope they haven't found a way to see it AND started to care about it..

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

ninmeister posted:

Wow no kidding? I've used PDANET on my Sprint service for years now and never got anything. I hope they haven't found a way to see it AND started to care about it..

The issue was that PDANet kept activating Sprint's Hotspot service when it started for some reason.
I killed it off, but every so often the Sprint Hotspot service would come back.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why do you assume it's phoning home, rather than that they're sending it some kind of special packet, sms, or something else?
It doesn't matter how they do it, it's the fact that Google can possibly brick my phone that I'm not okay with. I only asked the question in the hope that someone would know which system APK handles this, so I could simply delete it, or disable it in some other way.

Maybe I'm just being :tinfoil:, but I want it to be impossible for Google to magically disable my phone- not because I realistically think they would, but because I don't think they should be able to.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Yeah you are being paranoid. It's not something that happens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It doesn't matter how they do it, it's the fact that Google can possibly brick my phone that I'm not okay with. I only asked the question in the hope that someone would know which system APK handles this, so I could simply delete it, or disable it in some other way.

Maybe I'm just being :tinfoil:, but I want it to be impossible for Google to magically disable my phone- not because I realistically think they would, but because I don't think they should be able to.
The only reason to not be okay with Google blacklisting your IMEI is if you intend to commit insurance fraud.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

LastInLine posted:

The only reason to not be okay with Google blacklisting your IMEI is if you intend to commit insurance fraud.

That is assuming Google upholds its end of the agreement and never blacklists an IMEI for any reason other than an insurance claim.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dross posted:

That is assuming Google upholds its end of the agreement and never blacklists an IMEI for any reason other than an insurance claim.
Which they wouldn't and don't? This is completely a non-issue.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

LastInLine posted:

Which they wouldn't and don't? This is completely a non-issue.

Some people feel more at ease if they don't have the option at all. :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dross posted:

The point is that every seller of cellphones has this option. If you ask for a replacement from them, they add it to the list of devices that cannot be used so you can't fail to return it and resell it. It's an effective and necessary theft and fraud prevention tool that doesn't inconvenience you in any way but substantially reduces the value of stolen phones which in turn leads to fewer people considering stabbing you and taking your phone. Why would anyone be opposed to that? "Golly I'd sure feel more at ease knowing that if a felony is committed the criminal would definitely benefit as opposed to a transparent mechanism existing that would've prevented the crime in the first place!" That's ridiculous.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dross posted:

"Some people" are poo poo out of luck because just about every cell phone sold today has this option.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Are there any super awesome kernels I should use with my VZW GS3, or should I stick with what comes with CM these days? I'm mostly looking for better battery life without sacrificing stability.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Is there a tool that can show me dependencies of an .apk? I'd like to be able to research files that come stock with my phone to determine whether they're necessary or not and having something that can say, like:

AndroidJunk.apk requires:
com.motorola.android.stuff
com.android.system
com.google.things
com.google.junk

Is something like that available?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

nickhimself posted:

Is there a tool that can show me dependencies of an .apk? I'd like to be able to research files that come stock with my phone to determine whether they're necessary or not and having something that can say, like:

AndroidJunk.apk requires:
com.motorola.android.stuff
com.android.system
com.google.things
com.google.junk

Is something like that available?

Rule of thumb: if it's a system app leave it alone. If it doesn't show up in your app drawer leave it alone.

Alternatively: just don't do what you are thinking about doing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

Rule of thumb: if it's a system app leave it alone. If it doesn't show up in your app drawer leave it alone.

AppleCobbler is right. Don't do what you're about to do.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Anyone using CM10 and know of a good flashable 4.2 clock? Clock app itself, I don't care about the widget. I see bunches but some talk about FCs.

Rom on my old phone had it built in and I got used to it, ugly in every way but I really miss the countdown and the easy alarm setting.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Anyone using CM10 and know of a good flashable 4.2 clock? Clock app itself, I don't care about the widget. I see bunches but some talk about FCs.

Rom on my old phone had it built in and I got used to it, ugly in every way but I really miss the countdown and the easy alarm setting.
What's wrong with CM10.1 and the clock therein?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

I want to customize my own ROM for my own personal use. In doing that, I'd like to trim out everything I don't need or ever want to use. I've got a safestrap backup on the stock mount, so I'm not worried about doing any permanent damage to my phone.

I'd just like to see if I can do a better job of personalizing my ROM for my own use than some 13 year old who takes someone else's work (which was also stolen elsewhere), applies a red theme with heavy metal 60px font and calls it a ROM while they act like they're a DEVELOPER but have absolutely no idea what anything does in their phone.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with CM10.1 and the clock therein?

I flashed so many nightly type roms october through december on my old phone I just wanted to go with an actual labeled "stable" version that I could flash and forget for a while.

Also I didn't know what "snapshot" "experimental" roms were, besides nightlies snapshots are the only 10.1 avail for ATT GS3. (I was used to them labeling RCs as experimental but no RCs are avail) Are these pretty good?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

nickhimself posted:

I want to customize my own ROM for my own personal use. In doing that, I'd like to trim out everything I don't need or ever want to use. I've got a safestrap backup on the stock mount, so I'm not worried about doing any permanent damage to my phone.

I'd just like to see if I can do a better job of personalizing my ROM for my own use than some 13 year old who takes someone else's work (which was also stolen elsewhere), applies a red theme with heavy metal 60px font and calls it a ROM while they act like they're a DEVELOPER but have absolutely no idea what anything does in their phone.

If you want to mess around with disabling system apps, try NoBloat Free from the Play Store. It'll let you disable apps 1 by 1 to see if they affect the core functionality of the phone.

The JB built-in app disabler doesn't always work in my experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

I flashed so many nightly type roms october through december on my old phone I just wanted to go with an actual labeled "stable" version that I could flash and forget for a while.

Also I didn't know what "snapshot" "experimental" roms were, besides nightlies snapshots are the only 10.1 avail for ATT GS3. (I was used to them labeling RCs as experimental but no RCs are avail) Are these pretty good?
The M's have Experimental tags but are the result of soft feature freezes for stability. If you want a stable CM10.1, the M2 is the last one to be had. I don't know about your specific device but I'm nightlies on my Galaxy Nexus and have no complaints.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Just a thought: if a 13 year old with no skills decides not to mess with the system apps and background services, that should be a tip that maybe you shouldn't either. And not to be condescending, but you deleting some apks just for the hell of it makes you no better or smarter of a 'developer'. But hey, this is android, you're free to gently caress your phone up all you want.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

LastInLine posted:

As I mentioned before, I'm okay with an IMEI block. But a modern Android device is much more than a telephone, and isn't reliant on a network for its other features. An IMEI block is okay, bricking a miniature computer is not.

Also, I take exception to the idea that only a criminal would be worried about a corporation destroying the device they have been sold. Again, network blacklist != brick.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I just bought a Sprint HTC EVO 3D used off a goon and I'm not really liking the stock rom, however I'm an idiot and trying to figure out how to go about changing it over on XDA hasn't really helped.

Anyone have any experience with the EVO 3D and a good suggestion for what to do?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Halman posted:

I just bought a Sprint HTC EVO 3D used off a goon and I'm not really liking the stock rom, however I'm an idiot and trying to figure out how to go about changing it over on XDA hasn't really helped.

Anyone have any experience with the EVO 3D and a good suggestion for what to do?

Is it already got an unlocked bootloader/rooted/custom recovery?
If it is, it'll be sort of easy from that point. I'll go look at the last ROMs I used and post back about them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As I mentioned before, I'm okay with an IMEI block. But a modern Android device is much more than a telephone, and isn't reliant on a network for its other features. An IMEI block is okay, bricking a miniature computer is not.

Also, I take exception to the idea that only a criminal would be worried about a corporation destroying the device they have been sold. Again, network blacklist != brick.
That's all it is, an IMEI block. Obviously there's nothing they could do to brick the device considering the publish the stock images online that anyone can flash.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

An IMEI block is okay, bricking a miniature computer is not.

Earlier I was about to type up a long spergy :words: post agreeing with your previous posts on this subject (may have included weird lolbertarian patriot act hate tangents) but right there in one sentence you've got right the meat of what I wanted to say.

Find me anyone in the world who would think it acceptable of MS or Apple to wipe a laptop's hard drive based on a simple accusation by someone of equipment theft or an accusation by they themselves of piracy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

Find me anyone in the world who would think it acceptable of MS or Apple to wipe a laptop's hard drive based on a simple accusation by someone of equipment theft or an accusation by they themselves of piracy.

You realize Apple does offer that service right? If you or someone claiming to be you claims your macbook was stolen and you have an icloud account or whatever the service is under, they can do a remote wipe for you to lock whoever out of using it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Edit: I'm just going to figure it out myself. Never mind.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 23, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Install Gentoo posted:

You realize Apple does offer that service right? If you or someone claiming to be you claims your macbook was stolen and you have an icloud account or whatever the service is under, they can do a remote wipe for you to lock whoever out of using it.

Is it something you explicitly have to ask for/agree to? My kids have ipod touches, I didn't read any eula or anything close enough to tell if I did. I hope I didn't.

I have cerberus on my phone and I know it can be remotely wiped/locked (for all intents and purposes: soft-bricked) by me with a password or possibly by someone who hacked their servers or social-engineered their way with the cerberus admins into getting access to my account or also even lol .gov jackboots (stuff like like that doesn't happen in my country to my demographic! must not be anything to consider!). Remote wiping/bricking is something I signed up for knowingly and paid money for. A line in a eula type disclaimer that no one reads about the manufacturer (or anyone else with the proper resources) being able to do that to a nexus 4 doesn't fly with me. If that's even what they can do, someone said imei block only but Google doesn't have a cell service (yet) so what can they block an imei from? the play store? A lot of us would assume: remote-brick.

If someone can successfully hack or socially engineer with admins someone's icloud or google account and delete everything from it or have the admins kill it all off of apple's or google's servers I'm ethically ok with that, they (end user or corp) need better security but a corporation killing data on a device they don't own without the owner actually asking for that service like I did with cerberus I don't like.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2013

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

uapyro posted:

Is it already got an unlocked bootloader/rooted/custom recovery?
If it is, it'll be sort of easy from that point. I'll go look at the last ROMs I used and post back about them.

No, it doesn't have an unlocked bootloader

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
After briefly considering buying a new phone to install Zombies, run!, I put CM7 and a new hboot on my HTC Desire to get more space for apps.
I have installed just about every application I can dream of and I still have 174MB of free memory. Which is more than what the original OS gave me to begin with (it also refused to install software that did not fit in the free memory, not sure if that's solved by CM).
Awesome, just saved a shitload of cash.

Now I'd like to get my wife her own Android phone so she can get the apps she uses on her Nexus 7 on something more practical, not to mention with a network connection (some running tracking software, navigation software, google two-steps auth. software, kayak, expedia, pocket, flipboard etc, no games or other things that require a recent cpu).
Is there a specific phone (not too ancient) that is best suited for installing a custom ROM that will then turn it into something awesome, like CM7 turned my nearly useless Desire into a totally usable smartphone ?

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

On the subject of the Samsung Exynos problems. Here's a good comparison of the battery life on the VZW Note II between AOSP and 4.1.1 TW ROM:

AOSP 4.2.2(cleanROM I think)

TW 4.1.1 (beanstown)

I'm really not sure why the quality difference in the pictures. The AOSP rom is my friends phone, and I don't know what could be set to do that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Is it something you explicitly have to ask for/agree to? My kids have ipod touches, I didn't read any eula or anything close enough to tell if I did. I hope I didn't.

I have cerberus on my phone and I know it can be remotely wiped/locked (for all intents and purposes: soft-bricked) by me with a password or possibly by someone who hacked their servers or social-engineered their way with the cerberus admins into getting access to my account or also even lol .gov jackboots (stuff like like that doesn't happen in my country to my demographic! must not be anything to consider!). Remote wiping/bricking is something I signed up for knowingly and paid money for. A line in a eula type disclaimer that no one reads about the manufacturer (or anyone else with the proper resources) being able to do that to a nexus 4 doesn't fly with me. If that's even what they can do, someone said imei block only but Google doesn't have a cell service (yet) so what can they block an imei from? the play store? A lot of us would assume: remote-brick.

If someone can successfully hack or socially engineer with admins someone's icloud or google account and delete everything from it or have the admins kill it all off of apple's or google's servers I'm ethically ok with that, they (end user or corp) need better security but a corporation killing data on a device they don't own without the owner actually asking for that service like I did with cerberus I don't like.
Google doesn't do any of the stuff you're saying nor can they. What they do is add the IMEI to a blacklist that every respectable (read: big 4) carrier respects. So if you put a SIM into a blacklisted Nexus 4, it won't work on T-Mobile or AT&T.

Spatule posted:

After briefly considering buying a new phone to install Zombies, run!, I put CM7 and a new hboot on my HTC Desire to get more space for apps.
I have installed just about every application I can dream of and I still have 174MB of free memory. Which is more than what the original OS gave me to begin with (it also refused to install software that did not fit in the free memory, not sure if that's solved by CM).
Awesome, just saved a shitload of cash.

Now I'd like to get my wife her own Android phone so she can get the apps she uses on her Nexus 7 on something more practical, not to mention with a network connection (some running tracking software, navigation software, google two-steps auth. software, kayak, expedia, pocket, flipboard etc, no games or other things that require a recent cpu).
Is there a specific phone (not too ancient) that is best suited for installing a custom ROM that will then turn it into something awesome, like CM7 turned my nearly useless Desire into a totally usable smartphone ?
Get a Nexus, the newest you can afford and if you're going to keep it a while maybe stretch to get the Nexus 4. If she wants running apps I'd say avoid the Nexus S as the GPS is fundamentally broken in a way that will make those apps useless so either a Galaxy Nexus or a Nexus 4 are your options.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 23, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you don't want to spend a ton of cash, anything from the Galaxy S generation has tons and tons and tons of development for it (Captivate, Fascinate, Galaxy S, etc) and you can probably find one used for $50-$60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that the Desire is one the best supported phones from that generation because the internals are alomst identical to the Nexus One. But no matter how good you think it is, it is really doesn't compare to any modern device. I generally wouldn't recommend buying an old lovely phone on the basis that you can fix it up with ROMs and stuff. You're asking for trouble.

My Mum has my old Desire, I repartitioned it and installed a tiny stripped-down ROM called dGB so I know exactly what you're talking about. It works for her because she only uses it for calls, SMS, and photos. The moment she has a reason to go online with it I'll be buying her a proper phone (or giving her my old GNex or my N4 or whatever, depending on when that happens).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 23, 2013