Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
So I am powering my way through offline quests, Brachydios is a SUPER fun fight in my opinion. 2 on screen might be harder but gently caress I'd rather fight him 25 times than fight 25 Rathalos. I'm also 1 part short of a slime SA, and I'm not complainin.

Actual advice: the fluffy mask you can get for the Shakalakas gives you locations of monsters when you ping them. Also it makes them much more likely to carve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there some obvious reason why my Status Atk +1 skill is grayed out despite me using an assassin's dagger and having +10 Status?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Does the Assassin Dagger have any status effects? Status is poison, sleep, paralysis.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

RuBisCO posted:

There's one early mission that involves killing 12 Bananas in the Flooded Forest. It gives you two smoke bombs that you can use (though in terms of attacks, yes, you'd have to use a bowgun) to kill the bugs.

The mission also gives you some Banana parts at the end quest screen. I ran it 5~6 times to get my pretty bug princess armour.

Gotcha. I shall try and power through what I can. There's apparently a big MH3 meetup in London tomorrow and I plan to spend tonight practising my sweet Bagpipe jams. The copy I'm using is a review copy that I have to give back - but it seems it all saves to SD card, so I can shell out for my own game down the line.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Two things I figured out that might make life easier:

1) In water, hold B (3DS) and push the thumbstick up or down to move straight up or down without changing the camera angle or using vertical dodges.

2) Super-sized dung can be farmed pretty easily. Wait for the herbivore breeding season, then go in and kill the giant aptonath. Immediately after he's dead, choose "return to village" from the menu, rinse repeat. Because the day only advances when you spend 2 minutes in there, you can keep doing this over and over to respawn it. You'll need something like 5 of them for all the low-rank junior requests, and maybe more later (there's a dung mask that might use it).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

darkhand posted:

Does the Assassin Dagger have any status effects? Status is poison, sleep, paralysis.

I was about to respond "well duh it's a loving dagger than assassins use, of course it poisons!", only to double check and find out it doesn't grant poison until the NEXT upgrade. Welp.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Ugh, why can't I make razor jewels? I have all the stupid parts...

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
For those complaining the low rank is too easy, when you get to high rank and g rank you're going to miss some of your commodities. I don't know what point they start doing it but you'll just start the missions off being dropped off in a random part of the zone with no supplies. If you make it back to the base you'll find that the box has nothing in it (it takes like 10 minutes to be delivered I believe) so you'll have to start carrying around potions and other mats you've taken for granted.

It's experiences like that in the previous games that have drilled certain tendencies in my head, like carrying around a full suite of potions and in the harder parts carrying 10 honey so I can make more mega potions after I run out.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I wish this fish checker would start working, I'm really worried about this whole charm table thing, and kind of incredulous that there's only one place on the entire internet to check it this way. I want to hop in and kill monsters but I'm worried that I'll find out I've been screwed over when the website starts up again.

In other news, even though I loved the hammer in the demo I'm trying to use other weapons since I know you can't cut off tails and such with a hammer. I haven't gotten too far yet, working on trapping the bear thing now, but I feel like I'm getting a hang of this, even though it's my first foray in Monster Hunter.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Total Monster Hunter noob here, i'm about 6 hours in and liking it so far. I don't really know what I am in for with the whole charm tables thing, but I would like to check to make sure i'm not on one of the really horrible ones. Does the fish checker thing only work with patterns when you fish right away from the beginning of the game, or can I reference my patterns at any point in the game? I am on 3 star village quests right now.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

rhoga posted:

Don't use might seeds on the farm! They burn away a ton of resource.
Use Null Berries. They sell for 120, only 20 less than power seeds, and take 1/5th of the resources that a might seed takes. It's a great item to grow if you don't need any supply materials at the moment.

I thought Godbugs were the best way to make cash.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ImpactVector posted:

If you've hit him with two tranqs and he's trapped that means he's not damaged enough. His limp is actually kinda hard to distinguish from his normal walk, so he might not be there yet. If that happens it's time to do as much damage as possible while he's still trapped since if you can get him past the capture threshold while he's still in it he'll be captured.

Otherwise if he breaks out at least they give you an extra trap for that one. Just head back to base camp and grab it. For the later low rank capture quests they only give you one.

Thanks for the tip, I just wailed on him R Long Sword combo while trapped and that did it.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

dvorak posted:

I thought Godbugs were the best way to make cash.

Godbugs sell for 210 but they take 100 res. They're quicker money, but Null Berries provide 3 times more cash per res than they do.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
You get to a point where you don't really need to worry about money, because you'll have like 30 spare ThckRthlsScls or whatever from trying to get that one rare drop.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

BabyRyoga posted:

Total Monster Hunter noob here, i'm about 6 hours in and liking it so far. I don't really know what I am in for with the whole charm tables thing, but I would like to check to make sure i'm not on one of the really horrible ones. Does the fish checker thing only work with patterns when you fish right away from the beginning of the game, or can I reference my patterns at any point in the game? I am on 3 star village quests right now.

It will always be correct if you just do the most basic fishing trip with no Fish Finders or anything.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm trying to figure out which charm table my character is, but none of the links are working. Is there another site that will check for me? I searched but couldn't find one myself.

Edit: Or maybe a manual way to check?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

dvorak posted:

It will always be correct if you just do the most basic fishing trip with no Fish Finders or anything.

Actually, the results are more accurate (due to higher number of variables) if you use a Fish Finder. Just do the Guts quest, get the boat, send it to Moga Coast with a Fish Finder, and you should be good to go after that.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
First I kind of thought this game was kinda lame but now I just killed two Great Jaggi's at once and then I mined up enough ores to upgrade my Long Sword and then I had my fishing ship come to drop off their treasure in then I traded for rare goods and I checked my crops and oh god I can't stop playing this someone send help

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
So I'm looking at the different upgrades for my weapons and I'm starting to wonder what to go for... higher damage less sharpness or less damage more sharpness?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

First I kind of thought this game was kinda lame but now I just killed two Great Jaggi's at once and then I mined up enough ores to upgrade my Long Sword and then I had my fishing ship come to drop off their treasure in then I traded for rare goods and I checked my crops and oh god I can't stop playing this someone send help

Yep, you're caught. That's the hook. The best part is that this game is mostly straightforward and if you were to beat it with doing as few upgrades as possible, you could probably see most of the content with a low time...but you gotta make a new armorset then a new weapon and oh maybe I'll try hunting horn and ooh my farm.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Highblood posted:

So I'm looking at the different upgrades for my weapons and I'm starting to wonder what to go for... higher damage less sharpness or less damage more sharpness?

Soo, sharpness is handy for a couple reasons including damage multiplication and less bouncing, so I generally prioritize it, but not by a huuuuge amount. It's ntoable that if the sharpness isn't a large amount (like a sliver of green sharpness before yellow) it's not often woth it because of all the time you'll spend sharpening.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Falcon2001 posted:

Yep, you're caught. That's the hook. The best part is that this game is mostly straightforward and if you were to beat it with doing as few upgrades as possible, you could probably see most of the content with a low time...but you gotta make a new armorset then a new weapon and oh maybe I'll try hunting horn and ooh my farm.

It's Animal Crossing with boss fights occasionally.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What should I have my farm cultivating for me? And why the hell can't they get me Spiderwebs (I think that's what it takes for Nets?), I want to capture poo poo god drat it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know how to get pumpkins? I don't think this game has generic red seeds.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Falcon2001 posted:

This is me. I'm loving 10 hours in and have done jack poo poo (one more 3 starred mission) because I HAD to have that Jaggi suit and I really really want a Wroggi suit later and i'm so close to my Carapace hammer and trying to build a self sustaining farm and.... yeah 10 hours.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sire Oblivion posted:

What should I have my farm cultivating for me? And why the hell can't they get me Spiderwebs (I think that's what it takes for Nets?), I want to capture poo poo god drat it.

There's a few things that you must harvest, period. Carpenterbugs, killer beetles, etc. The bug spot outside the cave in Moga Woods 3 has a good chance of dropping spider-webs, though Tri Ultimate has added more spider-webs elsewhere. I almost always drop by that spot to see if I can get a few webs from it.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Soo, sharpness is handy for a couple reasons including damage multiplication and less bouncing, so I generally prioritize it, but not by a huuuuge amount. It's ntoable that if the sharpness isn't a large amount (like a sliver of green sharpness before yellow) it's not often woth it because of all the time you'll spend sharpening.

Well, you can make things a bit easier by wearing something like alloy armor, which gives speed sharpening. This decreases the number of swipes you do while sharpening from 3 to 1.

Speaking of sharpness, I want a better hammer to fight Qurupeco. I have a war hammer right now, but even with speed sharpening I kinda want a better weapon before I move on. I was looking at a bone bludgeon, but you need a Monster Bone L both for forging it and upgrading another weapon to it. Is Barroth the first place you can get them? The Bradygames guide is pretty crappy in that it doesn't actually state where you can get them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know how to get pumpkins? I don't think this game has generic red seeds.

Someone said you get them from the Argosy Captain, but they haven't appeared for me anytime I've talked to him. Shame too because that Pumpkin armor is awesome.

Argas posted:

There's a few things that you must harvest, period. Carpenterbugs, killer beetles, etc. The bug spot outside the cave in Moga Woods 3 has a good chance of dropping spider-webs, though Tri Ultimate has added more spider-webs elsewhere. I almost always drop by that spot to see if I can get a few webs from it.

Thanks, I'll have to remember to check that area for webs then.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Since this game is about ( enjoyable ) grinding and what not, I can't help but to wonder what Ulillillia might accomplish with this one. Sure, he'd never play online and he might not progress far with the quests, but he'd soon have a ton of spare resources and money. I checked the thread about him earlier, and he's been grinding FFXII for three whole weeks now. Nothing but setting his own arbitrary goals and wasting those hours away.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Cronodoculous posted:

I wish this fish checker would start working, I'm really worried about this whole charm table thing, and kind of incredulous that there's only one place on the entire internet to check it this way. I want to hop in and kill monsters but I'm worried that I'll find out I've been screwed over when the website starts up again.

I feel the same way, poo poo is unreal. There is only one website we can check this fish garbage on and its down. Is there no alternative? Manually checking it somehow?

It would be great if I could stop worrying about this crap and make sure I did the date and time trick right. Thinking I might just play something else while I wait for either someone to host a mirror or dump the data so we can figure it out ourselves.

Who the gently caress am I kidding, I'm just going to keep mashing send in the futile hope that I get through. :f5:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Can uh, you guys stop freaking out about charm tables so much? Their only real use is to minmax super late game (like we're talking G rank here) and most of you (I'm looking at you, newcomers) are freaking the gently caress out for no reason. The game offers plenty of gear and options to mess around with, and really you should enjoy the game.
I mean if you really care, rustshards can get you some nice weapons with dragon element but you can get dragon element regardless.

tl;dr stop freaking the gently caress out about charm tables. a lot of you guys will have way more problems with what the game throws at you before minmaxing is relevant :v:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The way the OP phrases it made me worried. Thanks, that's a relief Reoxygenation.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Well thanks Capcom. I did not need to see the Village Chief's son's man thong in full cinematic 3D. :magical:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Eruonen posted:

The way the OP phrases it made me worried. Thanks, that's a relief Reoxygenation.

I mean don't get me wrong, when you get REALLY good at the game, having a good charm table can be super decent, if you want to GRIND IT OUT, but ultimately, not having that 1 skill won't gently caress you over. Someone that is poo poo as dodging will not become instantly better if he can somehow gem Evasion +2. Those extra skills can be nice, but in High Rank and G rank, the game is mainly based around your skill and what you can do with what the game offers you. G rank as a whole is soloable, especially, and you should be able to beat these quests... even though you should group up when you can, because the game is much more fun when you have 4 people hitting that Lucent Narguaca or getting hosed by that Ivory Lagiacrus, but this is an instance where getting that god gem will not take away your enjoyment of the game, nor will it make it worse/better to play with others.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To anyone who hasn't done the Streaking With Bullfangos event quest yet - having Bullfango Pelts will allow you to upgrade a bone hammer into a hilariously overpowered boar-head-on-a-stick.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Bumblepumpkins are a 5* rare trade from the Argosy captain. That means you need to kill some of the more powerful monsters in the free hunt area to get them (P.Rathian, Plesioth, Uragaan, Diablos, Duramboros, Lagiacrus, Rathalos, Brachyados, S.Urugaan, B.Diablos).

To make them available, the Brady Games guide says you need Village Level 28, but I have no idea what that means. Just keep going through the village quests and sending the Argosy Captain to the farmer's realm until the pumpkins become available.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I tried playing some public online to kill a few Qurupecos to get the last Strange Beak I needed to complete the armor set for my Hunting Horn. It was fun, in that they got mad at me because I didn't follow the imaginary rules or something.

I wanted to kill the Qurupeco, you know, because that was the quest. So when it flew away, I chased it. Well the other two guys (one was HR4, with a killer weapon, don't know why he was even slumming) stayed in the room and killed a Rathian by themselves. I'm just off by myself, oblivious, thinking my connection glitched or something. I see on the chat "magpie wtf" then, after we finish the thing off, I get "noob."

So satisfying.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
My God the Tuna sword wrecks qurupeco. I swear it got buffed cause it does about as much damage as all my other swords but has crazy good sharpness. Note to anyone trying to get this bitchin' sword, save all of your vouchers or you will be very sad when you can't upgrade it.

Oh yeah playing with a buddy atm in FreePlay 01/Lobby Room is named Babby.

Dear lord some of these pubbies and their families yelling in the background...

Seemenaked fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 23, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What do I combine to make Tranq Bombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
God but I hate capturing flying monsters.

• Locked thread