Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
What's Sollux's problem, let Aranea heal your drat eyes

Aradia <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SteelAngel2000 posted:

What's Sollux's problem, let Aranea heal your drat eyes

Aradia <3

Sollux is a good dude, but also kind of an uncooperative rear end in a top hat. I don't think he trusts her.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

He's also a tremendous miserygut.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I guess Sollux doesn't want to wind up pantsless on the floor in a pool of Faygo.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Ariong posted:

Sollux is a good dude, but also kind of an uncooperative rear end in a top hat. I don't think he trusts her.

You know, I like Aranea and all, but I wouldn't want her anywhere near my eyes. Doesn't matter how nice or endearing she is, the bitch is completely insane, and you don't want someone like that working on something delicate like your eyes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe if he heals his eyes the horrible voices will return, or he fears they will and wants to avoid that.

Also :sbahj:, Aradia...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, Aradia's perspective makes sense, from a certain point of view.

Paradox Space, as useful as it has been from a survival perspective, imposes certain limitations on the characters. You can have time travel, survival after death, predict the future, etc, but all trap you within certain rules and predefined paths. Karkat and Terezi were just talking about it.

And Aradia has chaffed under this rule for a lot longer than most. First as ghost, listening to the horrorterrors, and then as a robot, listening to her selves, she's always searched for true freedom. And we've seen from her talk with Beta-Dave that she considers dreambubbles to be a temporary stop on the grand travel path of the soul. She assumes that something comes afterward. Paradox Space might not be the natural state of the multiverse; it might just be a temporary status before it is all recreated in a new way, again and again, forever.

From that perspective, the goal is, then, less to stop English from destroying Paradox Space or continuing the status quo, but to go on a journey, stopping to smell the roses, and see what happens.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I had an Aradiatar once.

This panel makes me want one again. :stare:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
:wtc:

Well that sure is an interesting face to make Aradia. Granted I'm glad the whole "Aradia is gonna join Lord English" thing is debunked now, but just sticking around to see how everything burns and crashes because she can is...yeah.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So Aradia's some kind of weird transcend I-have-evolved-beyond-good-and-evil form of crazy and there's someone even worse than Caliborn out there, maybe. Awesome.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

quote:

ARADIA: while he rounds the ring undoing the work of the gods we must prepare for his undoing as well
ARADIA: to ready the manor for the lords arrival so to speak :)

That makes it sound like there's somebody else that's gonna show up when Caliborn's gone, right?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Forgot to mention that if Maid of Time is really about cleaning up (and ending) timeloops, rather than a pun on Made of Time like we thought, then that could have some fun implications for the Maid of Life. Time to clean up all that life!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

Forgot to mention that if Maid of Time is really about cleaning up (and ending) timeloops, rather than a pun on Made of Time like we thought, then that could have some fun implications for the Maid of Life. Time to clean up all that life!

Considering that Jane could do a life-y thing and revive her dreamself, I'm willing to bet it's a dual thing, both "Maid of" and "Made of".

In fact, I'm pretty sure that if any of the titles could arguably be construed in a certain way, it no doubt could actually be interpreted that way. :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

MrBims posted:

Of course those three are lagging behind, they're the ones who are going to survive whatever happens next.

This is what i'm afraid will happen. It just seems way too convenient.

Could this be the end of Vriska and Meenah and... the other ones? :smith:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bobulus posted:

Probably a good thing that Porrim never developed her powers much, then.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Let me try and rephrase what I think Aradia's perspective.

Imagine life a huge river. Sometimes the water splits, sometimes it comes together again. The dreambubbles are like a little whirlpool. Everyone has gotten caught in it, and is just circling forever instead of moving on. She's watching with anticipation as someone prepares to throw a big rock in. It won't actually hurt the water, but it will change the currents in interesting ways.

\/ I don't think she's saying a new evil will come along. I think she's saying Paradox Space itself will end, and something new will happen.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 23, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

VJeff posted:

That makes it sound like there's somebody else that's gonna show up when Caliborn's gone, right?
I think what she means is that there will always be something evil and horrible trying to mess around with things. First it was the Gods, then came Bec Noir, now we have Lord English and even after that there will be something horrible. Right now Lord English isn't just destroying dream bubbles, he's killing the horrorterrors who maintain those bubbles. She's seeming to think that Lord English will be defeated and his time loops closed off so he can never come back. But even after he's gone, another evil is sure to replace him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hey guys, remember when everyone thought that Eridan was the guy killing all the horrorterrors?

Haha, good times.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dorroile posted:

This is what i'm afraid will happen. It just seems way too convenient.

Could this be the end of Vriska and Meenah and... the other ones? :smith:

That would be really loving stupid for a variety of reasons including making large parts of the past Act completely irrelevant. psyche they all die again, the end no moral. storytelling *jazz hands*.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

On the other hand, something could very easily happen to Aradia and Sollux. Provided whatever happened didn't involve Lord English's gently caress-off-reality mouth laser, John would just harmlessly wake up.

I'm assuming that the laser would give no fucks about sleeping dreambubble selves, which it probably doesn't.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Something is sure to go down, but I can't see Hussie bringing Vriska back to into the story to just kill her off again. It'd be a little pointless. Feferi, Nepeta and Tavros as disposable on the other hand. Meenah and Aranea are up in the air, but I don't think he's going to rid them either.

However, I'm more worried that if all the horrorterrors die then the dream bubbles are going to vanish anyway. They only exist because the horrorterrors are supporting them.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Seoinin posted:

That would be really loving stupid for a variety of reasons including making large parts of the past Act completely irrelevant. psyche they all die again, the end no moral. storytelling *jazz hands*.

It looks like this whole set up is to bolster John, he's been kinda glum for the whole 3 years.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna add another post to the "Okaaaaaaaaay Aradia :stare:" bandwagon.

I think Paradox Space itself coming to an end would be fitting for this story; especially if we learn/see how it begun. Homestuck has always been about the creation and destruction of things on a cosmic scale, remember?

Act 7 is likely to be mostly "So, now that all of reality has been irrevocably changed, let's see what that actually means..."

At least, that's what I hope it is.

E: I think it's Aradia's messy hair that really brings that picture onto that thin line between adorable and terrifying.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
If we see something crashing down on a cosmic scale, my money is on the end of Sburb and Skaia. That way there won't be anymore "universes destroying themselves to make new universes" going on. The cycle ends and the game won't ever need to be used again. It would be a very fitting end to a comic that centers itself around video games to end with the game coming to a close and never having to be played anymore.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

lotus circle posted:

If we see something crashing down on a cosmic scale, my money is on the end of Sburb and Skaia. That way there won't be anymore "universes destroying themselves to make new universes" going on. The cycle ends and the game won't ever need to be used again. It would be a very fitting end to a comic that centers itself around video games to end with the game coming to a close and never having to be played anymore.

But what about the Kickstarter game? I mean, assuming it'd be set AFTER the comic ends.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Jetamo posted:

But what about the Kickstarter game? I mean, assuming it'd be set AFTER the comic ends.
Well yeah there is that, but no one actually knows what the game is about. Hussie only said it'd be an adventure game that is Homestuck related and nothing else. We don't even know if the characters from the comic are going to be in it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

lotus circle posted:

Well yeah there is that, but no one actually knows what the game is about. Hussie only said it'd be an adventure game that is Homestuck related and nothing else. We don't even know if the characters from the comic are going to be in it.

It's the original 48 player troll-universe creating session. Millions of shipping combinations!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Destroying the universe to save the universe? A scurvy band of pirates? Alternate timeline versions of a character interacting with each other? A villain who loves to win by getting the heroes to do the work for him? God drat it, this update is going to make me write a huge essay on how much Homestuck and Reboot season 3 have in common, isn't it?

Warning, system crash...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I do like that Hussie used Aradia as an apparent mouthpiece to downplay the horrible soul-destroying thing in a "Look, this sympathetic and reasonable character agrees with it, here are her opinions!" sort of way, then goes "Nah just kidding" and has her do a crazy face and say all she wants to do is break stuff.

Authours talking down to their audiences about how their moral evaluation is wrong is annoying, so intentionally undercutting it comes as sort of a relief.

I'm a little disappointed Aradia doesn't seem intent on serving Lord English, but maybe if whatever master of fate and loops is being referred to is an actual boss character she'll join them? I find it hard to imagine how she'd fare in an epilogue, she doesn't really have a life outside of the loops.

Also yeah they're hanging back so when everyone dies they'll survive and escape.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 23, 2013

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bobulus posted:

Destroying the universe to save the universe? A scurvy band of pirates? Alternate timeline versions of a character interacting with each other? A villain who loves to win by getting the heroes to do the work for him? God drat it, this update is going to make me write a huge essay on how much Homestuck and Reboot season 3 have in common, isn't it?

Warning, system crash...

Let's not forget that this all technically exists within an extremely complicated computer game. Maybe the only way to win is to get Sollux to debug all these glitchy game discs...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The treasure is going to be the goddamn lollipop isn't it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Seoinin posted:

The treasure is going to be the goddamn lollipop isn't it?

I kind of want to see what a trickster troll looks like.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

havenwaters posted:

I'm really, truly hoping they just look like humans.

Like, they just turn into humans.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Like Gamzee, but even more Gamzee.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Dolash posted:

I'm a little disappointed Aradia doesn't seem intent on serving Lord English, but maybe if whatever master of fate and loops is being referred to is an actual boss character she'll join them?

But she's never been interested in joining anyone's side. She told Vriska she was wrong about the teams being important way back in Hivebent. Now Vriska's learned nothing (of course) and recruited herself a new team, but Aradia knows better than to try and correct her this time, and is explicitly interested only in watching this whole dumb confrontation blow up in everyone's faces.

Aradia's entire character is about fatalism and accepting the inevitable and eschewing affiliation with any one side in favour of doing what needs to be done and letting the world take the course it must. She's basically Godhead Pickle Inspector as an alien space fairy.

Before Aradia's ascension, she was constantly taking orders and directions - from the spirits, from her future/alternate selves, from Doc Scratch (probably) - which she bemoaned for a few seconds in the Road to the Undoing memo at the end of Hivebent. This is part and parcel of the depressive, gloomy, cynical mindset she fell into after the Team Charge debacle. There's nothing worse for depression than being right about it. Her alternate selves saw themselves as ultimately expendable in the cause of keeping the timeline on track, and made no bones about it. They let Aradiabot Prime send them to their deaths.

All this changed when she exploded. For the first time, we are specifically told, she felt truly alive, and was done with dying. I think it's safe to say she's done with the entire complex - including taking orders from other people as to the timestream. She's a God Tier Time player, there are few people more qualified than her to say what the Alpha Timeline needs. She has finally achieved full agency, and she can say with pride that she is nobody's Handmaid.

Regy Rusty posted:

I had an Aradiatar once.

This panel makes me want one again. :stare:

:smug:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Aradia has the best teeth.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I read a lot of people before saying that Hussie was also trying to justify all the ghost double-killing. But then why would he have Sollux -and then John- call it out so explicitly?. This also had somehow ruined Vriska forever and completely eliminated her ~character growth~ (insert Fat Vriska joke here). But well, that's what I get when I read discussions about this comic anywhere outside this thread.

To me, one of the most interesting parts about this latest update was -besides Aradia- the reminder that all the ghosts are still (un?)-living only because the horrorterrors allow it. Somehow I had kinda accepted afterlife as an inmutable part of the game, but what happens when whatever it is the Gods want is finally achieved? Do all the ghosts just disappear forever?

Because I can't lose Equius again. I'm not STRONG enough. (also what happens to AR if ARquiusprite spritesplodes?)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I understand that she affiliates herself only with "fate" and "destiny", but if there's any conscious force behind those things that would implicitly make her a servant of that force. Back when Lord English seemed more powerful and all-encompassing (some people thought he wasn't even a physical entity, more like Skaia) we thought the force of destiny might be Lord English since all the causal loops were in his favor, so people thought Aradia might be talking about him whenever she went off about fatalism and serving a master of destiny.

This is the story where the author himself is a character within the story, so the idea that the abstract concept she fatalistically obeys is actually a conscious force isn't too far off base.

And really I don't think her coming back to life did anything to her character other than change her tone. She's never taken anyone's orders except what causality required of her anyway, that hasn't changed.

Blackheart posted:

To me, one of the most interesting parts about this latest update was -besides Aradia- the reminder that all the ghosts are still (un?)-living only because the horrorterrors allow it. Somehow I had kinda accepted afterlife as an inmutable part of the game, but what happens when whatever it is the Gods want is finally achieved? Do all the ghosts just disappear forever?

The idea that because the gods had granted an afterlife, it was theirs to take away was one of the creepier implications of Aradia's argument and I'm glad she was shown to be proper crazy rather than getting a lot of narrative support for it.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 23, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think the only way this story can really end with a happy ending is with the complete destruction of paradox space while reality itself remains intact. Paradox space is the true antagonist of this story: Any true act of free will inevitable ends in complete oblivion, not just for you but for your entire reality. If the destruction of paradox space and all of its rules is Aradia's endgame and that's what she means by wanting to see what happens when the whole place breaks apart, then she really is the only one with her eyes on the prize.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did the comic just add an extra page of John with dialog? I swear the first time I saw this update it didn't have John calling everyone insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

IUG posted:

Did the comic just add an extra page of John with dialog? I swear the first time I saw this update it didn't have John calling everyone insane.

No, that was there. Or at least been there for a while now.