Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZNEVQ/

And I'm having a weird problem. The screen looks like it's "textured" with a very faint grid pattern. The individual pixels also have a very clear black border between them if I look very closely. I once had this same problem with a laptop and ended up returning it. Is this common? Is this just how it has to look for some reason? My other LCD monitor, also by ASUS but an older model, wasn't like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Don't sit so close to your monitor? In all seriousness, on any decent 1920x1080 23" monitor you should be unable to see any "grid lines" or pixel spacing if you're sitting at a reasonable distance (24" or more--seriously, it's bad for your eyes to sit any closer).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

DrDork posted:

Don't sit so close to your monitor? In all seriousness, on any decent 1920x1080 23" monitor you should be unable to see any "grid lines" or pixel spacing if you're sitting at a reasonable distance (24" or more--seriously, it's bad for your eyes to sit any closer).

I'm sitting at about 20 inches from eye to top of monitor. And I'm going to need a citation for that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm sitting at about 20 inches from eye to top of monitor. And I'm going to need a citation for that.
If you're sitting that close, and looking at a solid colored (especially white) screen...yeah, you'll probably see what you're describing to some extent. It still sounds like the monitor you got is kinda wonky, but I'd hazard to guess that RMAing it won't fix it, since that sounds more like a design issue than just a faulty individual model.

As for the eye bit, no, it's not going to make you go blind or anything, but it will cause your eyes to work harder than they really need to, which will tend to cause eyestrain, headaches, and a variety of other temporary issues. Generally keeping your greasy face at least as far away from the monitor as it is large (ie, 24" away for a 24" monitor) is a good rule of thumb to keep you outside the eyestrain zone, though that can vary from person to person a bit. It'll also let you see the entire damned thing at once, and it'll also keep you far enough away that you won't be able to see the screen-dooring of your budget monitor.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

This summer I'm going to be building a new rig and I've decided to go full bore on monitors. I want a 20-30-20 setup, I was planning on getting a dell u3011 and two 2007fps. However, the u3014 is giving me a raging sperg boner. What I'm looking for is a more modern alternative to the 2007fp, specifically I want a monitor with a led back light to match the 3014. I don't have high hopes, but does anyone have a suggestion?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Henchman 21 posted:

Does anyone have or have seen one of the 27" Monoprice IPS panels in person. I was kicking arounda few Korean 27" to replace the mismatched screens I've been using, but the 1 year warranty on the Monoprice screen sounds nice.

I was also looking at that myself since my WSXGA display is starting to feel small after I've gotten back into PC gaming and WUXGA displays seem to be getting rarer nowadays.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat, now this ASUS is ghosting and I'm gonna return it. Are there any monitors that have low response time, no ghosting, and an HDMI port?

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

drat, now this ASUS is ghosting and I'm gonna return it. Are there any monitors that have low response time, no ghosting, and an HDMI port?

Dell Ultrasharp.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Are there any monitors that exist and are buyable that have a white body to them? I'm trying to set up my computer with a white theme (and putting Aperture Labs stickers on the case) and all the monitors in the world seem to have black, or are weirdly expensive. Basically the only monitors I've seen that are white and widescreen are "Benq" monitors and I have no idea who they are. Or there are some non-widescreen white ones by PLANAR which are several years old, and are 1280x1024 resolution, which is lower than my current monitor sooo...

Any advice? Or do I just buy a black monitor and paint it?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

Are there any monitors that exist and are buyable that have a white body to them? I'm trying to set up my computer with a white theme (and putting Aperture Labs stickers on the case) and all the monitors in the world seem to have black, or are weirdly expensive. Basically the only monitors I've seen that are white and widescreen are "Benq" monitors and I have no idea who they are. Or there are some non-widescreen white ones by PLANAR which are several years old, and are 1280x1024 resolution, which is lower than my current monitor sooo...

I don't have any suggestions, but I wouldn't buy a monitor based on the color of the bezel. You'd be much better off getting one based on the specs you need and then painting it. The bezels usually aren't to hard to remove and spray paint is cheap. However, it will void the warranty, so you have to weigh that against how bad you want the monitors to match the case.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Any news on that new 30 inch from Dell? Wasn't that supposed to come out this month?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EightBit posted:

If you're really set on 27" a 1920x1080 screen is probably going to be pretty grainy looking. 2560x1440(or 1600) is probably going to look much better at that size. Tastes (and eyesight) vary, so try to see a 27" 1920x1080 display in person first. You probably won't find any brick and mortar stores with a 2560x1440 on display, much less in the store, unless it's an Apple shop.
I have a 27" 2560x1440 Korean monitor and 27" 1920x1080 Acer refurb. While the Korean is beautiful for video and gaming, I actually use the Acer most of the time for reading text.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 27" 2560x1440 Korean monitor and 27" 1920x1080 Acer refurb. While the Korean is beautiful for video and gaming, I actually use the Acer most of the time for reading text.
That sounds like the exact opposite of how it should work. There shouldn't be a difference (aside from IPS color reproduction) in video unless you're watching video with a resolution greater than 1920x1080. Do you have poor eyesight? Text should be more clear on the higher resolution monitor so I'm guessing your problem is it's just smaller and harder to see because you haven't turned on text scaling to a comfortable level.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
In these days of cheap high-res monitors, they should really have a sticky note on every new dual link dvi "hey you know you can increase the text size right? Just making sure".

That didn't need to be said when it was professionals paying a grand+, but times and demographics change.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That sounds like the exact opposite of how it should work. There shouldn't be a difference (aside from IPS color reproduction) in video unless you're watching video with a resolution greater than 1920x1080. Do you have poor eyesight? Text should be more clear on the higher resolution monitor so I'm guessing your problem is it's just smaller and harder to see because you haven't turned on text scaling to a comfortable level.
The Korean is both IPS and LED backlit, so the color reproduction is quite a bit better. Text would be clearly on the Korean but I don't scale it, and at native res it's quite nice on the 1920x1080.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HJE-Cobra posted:

BenQ make some famous high-end gaming monitors. They're basically the huge "name" when it comes down to e-sports and are fairly famous among e-sports players.

With that said... keep in mind that "high-end" in this case means "low latency". I've only seen the low-budget benq monitors and they were fairly mediocre. I hear this is not the case with their higher priced monitors but haven't tested them yet.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Elentor posted:

BenQ make some famous high-end gaming monitors. They're basically the huge "name" when it comes down to e-sports and are fairly famous among e-sports players.

With that said... keep in mind that "high-end" in this case means "low latency". I've only seen the low-budget benq monitors and they were fairly mediocre. I hear this is not the case with their higher priced monitors but haven't tested them yet.

BenQ also has the most aggressive LCD overdrive on the planet and the only one I've seen had pre-ghosting in spades :barf:.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I finally got a LG IPS231 this week to replace my Viewsonic LED, what an improvement. Between that and my Retina MBP I can barely look at another LCD without gagging :smug:

My Thinkpad T400 looks really, really bad now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EightBit posted:

BenQ also has the most aggressive LCD overdrive on the planet and the only one I've seen had pre-ghosting in spades :barf:.

I had forgotten about that, I think my brain was trying to spare me, but yea, I've seen that. The ghosting is... man, it is quite something. There was ghosting even after turning off the overdrive and it was very noticeable - with the overdrive on it wasn't ghosting, it was a full haunting.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 21, 2013

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Have I missed the boat on the U2311H? I already have one and was considering getting more for an Eyefinity setup.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thinking about picking up a dell s2340m to add to my group of monitors- how does it compare to something like the u2312hm? Especially for gaming.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Bob Morales posted:

I finally got a LG IPS231 this week to replace my Viewsonic LED, what an improvement. Between that and my Retina MBP I can barely look at another LCD without gagging :smug:

My Thinkpad T400 looks really, really bad now.

I am really tempted to grab a few of these LG IPS231 for the office at 169.99 they are little easier to justify to management than ultrasharps.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Calidus posted:

I am really tempted to grab a few of these LG IPS231 for the office at 169.99 they are little easier to justify to management than ultrasharps.

I have the IPS235 and can confirm it's pretty drat good bang for buck, I was in the same position as you (though for personal use) yeah I could have afforded the extra $100 or so for the Dell, but when I saw the LG I really couldn't go past it. Next to my oldish ViewSonic it's even better as you can appreciate the level of detail and vivid colours.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I just bought an LG 23EA63V-P yesterday (23" IPS). My only complaint is that it is apparently prone to image persistence. I left it hooked up to the cable box on CNN (ugh) for a few hours while I was cleaning the house, then changed the channel and found that there was a ghost of CNN's bug in the lower right corner.

Is this an issue with all the sub-$200 IPS monitors? I gather that the HP displays aren't as susceptible to burn-in, but I wasn't looking to spend that much. Too bad this LG is so new there are basically no reviews of it yet, but I was impatient and bought it anyway since it was $189.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
You have to get a real bottom of the barrel LCD panel to experience burn-in, and after only a few hours? That's practically unheard of in terms of crazy badness.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

You have to get a real bottom of the barrel LCD panel to experience burn-in, and after only a few hours? That's practically unheard of in terms of crazy badness.
Image persistence is different from burn-in. Image persistence will happen on pretty much any LCD, but it's only temporary.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Sorry for using the terms interchangeably - it was just persistence that went away after 30 minutes. Still very annoying. I was planning to make my old Acer H243H my TV monitor in this room anyway, so it's not something I'm too worried about. I'll just have to be sure to set a more aggressive screensaver time and set the wallpaper image to change frequently when using it as a computer monitor.

If it keeps happening, I might be interested in upgrading to one of the recommended IPS 24-ish LCDs in the OP if they are less prone to have persistence issues.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spaceship posted:

Google Chromebook PIxel is now the best IPS display on the market [!!]

Man I totally missed this, I should update the title!

And I guess there are a bunch of updates to make to the OP eh.

Megiddo posted:

Sorry for using the terms interchangeably - it was just persistence that went away after 30 minutes. Still very annoying. I was planning to make my old Acer H243H my TV monitor in this room anyway, so it's not something I'm too worried about. I'll just have to be sure to set a more aggressive screensaver time and set the wallpaper image to change frequently when using it as a computer monitor.

If it keeps happening, I might be interested in upgrading to one of the recommended IPS 24-ish LCDs in the OP if they are less prone to have persistence issues.

I don't think you'll have an issue with the models in the OP like the Dells, though I can't personally say I've done something like leave the CNN ticker running for hours on end, but then again, I haven't seen any persistence from the taskbar when I switch to a game or something.

Grimhunter
Nov 27, 2006
I was looking for a bit of advice with selecting a monitor, I work for a fire department and we recently received money in the budget to purchase one Panasonic Toughbook, about $4,300 to work with.

Instead of getting just one computer, we are going to build two stationary desktops “carputer” style. I’m all set with the computer components, but I was looking for recommendations for a touchscreen monitor to be mounted in the fire truck. It’s obviously going to get roughed up and I was thinking that a resistive touchscreen is the way to go.

I have taken a look at Xenarc Touchscreens (http://www.xenarc.com) and Lilliput (http://www.lilliputweb.net). I’m sure there are others out there, anyone have some recommendations? When all is said and done, I should have about $500-$600 to spend per monitor and it should be 10”-15”.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Grimhunter posted:

I was looking for a bit of advice with selecting a monitor, I work for a fire department and we recently received money in the budget to purchase one Panasonic Toughbook, about $4,300 to work with.

Instead of getting just one computer, we are going to build two stationary desktops “carputer” style. I’m all set with the computer components, but I was looking for recommendations for a touchscreen monitor to be mounted in the fire truck. It’s obviously going to get roughed up and I was thinking that a resistive touchscreen is the way to go.

I have taken a look at Xenarc Touchscreens (http://www.xenarc.com) and Lilliput (http://www.lilliputweb.net). I’m sure there are others out there, anyone have some recommendations? When all is said and done, I should have about $500-$600 to spend per monitor and it should be 10”-15”.

You're probably going to have to look for MIL compliance if you want that poo poo to last/work under fire truck conditions, there's some standards for sunlight readability of displays and "ruggedness". MIL compliance is a bitch because companies can say they are compliant even if they meet only a subset of the MIL standard, so you gotta call them or somehow figure out which part of the spec they are compliant with.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You can also buy touchscreen kits to turn any monitor into a touchscreen. Cyclotouch sells some.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You can also buy touchscreen kits to turn any monitor into a touchscreen. Cyclotouch sells some.

But are there kits available to remove touchscreens from monitors???

As a devout follower of Steve, I

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sports posted:

But are there kits available to remove touchscreens from monitors???

As a devout follower of Steve, I
The same Steve who made touchscreen devices ubiquitous?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

CBJamo posted:

This summer I'm going to be building a new rig and I've decided to go full bore on monitors. I want a 20-30-20 setup, I was planning on getting a dell u3011 and two 2007fps. However, the u3014 is giving me a raging sperg boner. What I'm looking for is a more modern alternative to the 2007fp, specifically I want a monitor with a led back light to match the 3014. I don't have high hopes, but does anyone have a suggestion?

I too have been eyeing the u3011 and u3014. Are there any real advantages there to justify the u3014's $700 premium? Are sales on these common? Is there a reasonable expectation that in a year or two these will be as cheap as 1920x1080 monitors are now?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Grimhunter posted:

I'm not sure what you have planned for the computers or where you are mounting them, but you will probably have trouble with standard desktops due to the vibration and temperature extremes. Electronics components for cars usually have to be rated to +100C / -40C, and some pretty extreme vibration. If it's sitting in the sunlight in a closed cabin it can get very hot very quick. If it's inside of a console/dashboard, it probably doesn't get good airflow.

Whereas standard computer components have much lower specs since they just sit in temperature-controlled office with good airflow.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bishyaler posted:

I too have been eyeing the u3011 and u3014... ... in a year or two these will be as cheap as 1920x1080 monitors are now?

No, not a chance.
Even the previous versions of these can't be found for that cheap second hand on ebay.

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost
Looks like Monoprice now carries 1600p 30" IPS screens to go with their 27". Haven't seen a review yet though.

DVI only for ~$700
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2

More inputs for ~$800
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=10234&seq=1&format=2

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
I am thinking about getting a new monitor for my mother who currently has a POS 17in 4:3 LCD and saw this cheap IPS monitor on newegg and am very tempted to get it. Any reasons why i shouldn't? (NOTE she has bad eyesight so anything with a resolution higher than this would probably be worse for her.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Dell U2713HM is $550 on Newegg right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

I bought one of these wonderful monitors for work because gently caress using dual 17" 5:4 LCD monitors. Now I have to fight the urge to replace the remaining 17" piece of poo poo with another one of these. Goddamnit.