Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Booky posted:

How bad is the random encounter rate in the original SMT games anyways? Like "every 2 steps a fight" kinda thing?

Occasionally after ending one fight, another would immediately start before you had a chance to take a step. I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect, that was literally a thing that could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Thuryl posted:

Occasionally after ending one fight, another would immediately start before you had a chance to take a step. I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect, that was literally a thing that could happen.

Oh god, are you serious? How does that even happen? :psyduck:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Booky posted:

Oh god, are you serious? How does that even happen? :psyduck:

This happens in Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga too. :ssh:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

This happens in Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga too. :ssh:

:stonk:

It sounds very irritating.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Booky posted:

:stonk:

If you're grinding for cash/EXP or looking for certain demons it can be beneficial. The Attract spells will increase the rate of this happening.

In Nocturne it's possible for this to happen multiple times in a row. In my recent playthrough while using the Attract spell I would occasionally get something like a dozen encounters in a row.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thuryl posted:

Is that like the whole "x more enemies appeared" thing? Even freaking Persona 4 had that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Strange Quark posted:

Is that like the whole "x more enemies appeared" thing? Even freaking Persona 4 had that.

It's exactly that, except in P4 there's a limit based on how many Shadows are around and I've never actually gotten more than one set of reinforcements. In Nocturne/DDS, demons do not appear on the map and thus this can keep happening.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prism posted:

It's exactly that, except in P4 there's a limit based on how many Shadows are around and I've never actually gotten more than one set of reinforcements. In Nocturne/DDS, demons do not appear on the map and thus this can keep happening.

I've actually gotten two sets a few times. :v:

Then it really doesn't sound that bad. I find most of the annoyance with super common random encounters is just all the load times in between.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Prism posted:

That? I've had that happen five times in a row. On multiple occasions. That being said, I personally didn't mind. Then again, this never happened when I was right in front of a terminal or something, so there's that.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
Is Shin Megami Tensei If... that bad? I've been waiting for it to be translated before playing it and I wanna know if it's gonna be disapointing. I was under the impression it would be really cool.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
It's great in Nocturne though, because you'll steam roll through another mob and get even fatter exp out of the deal. It's only really a problem if you're desperately struggling in the depths of the Amala or whatever...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TheBigTwo posted:

Is Shin Megami Tensei If... that bad? I've been waiting for it to be translated before playing it and I wanna know if it's gonna be disapointing. I was under the impression it would be really cool.

Good concepts, terrible gameplay. Hands-down the worst game to play in the series WITH THE EXCEPTION of the MSX Megami Tensei title.

Worst Shin Megami Tensei by far though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Good concepts, terrible gameplay. Hands-down the worst game to play in the series WITH THE EXCEPTION of the MSX Megami Tensei title.

Worst than Demikids?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WrightOfWay posted:

Worst than Demikids?

Yes, worse than Demikids.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, even worse than Demikids. At least for all its weird ideas, Demikids didn't think things like Sloth were a good idea.

explanation: You have to keep running down the clock so the students slowly chip away and make a tunnel further into the place. So just keep making a circuit of the place. With random encounters on. And it is NOT quick.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Greed was alright though from my memory. That's the one with the Nine Tailed Fox right? Why haven't they ever brought that thing back? It's 9 forms were cool.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If you're including the old games you have to include the FC Megami Tensei too. That game is basically irredeemable.

If is basically a romhack of SMT2. Same assets, same interface, much less well designed plot and gameplay. It's also a much smaller game in terms of content. The primary antagonist is an emo teenager who pulls his school into the demon world in revenge for nobody liking him. You play random student #573 and have to get to him and defeat him, and that's it. Choose from one of three largely indistinguishable partners--and unless you know better to say no to the first one that asks for your help, too bad for you, you're getting the least amount of game content. The dungeons are terribly designed and the characters and plot have paper-thin development. There is a "hidden" fourth partner and game path totally different from the base game that's actually substantially better, but you can't do it until you've slogged through the game with one of the other partners first.

It is interesting in the fact that it's basically Persona 0. When you die, rather than game over, you get a "Guardian" based on how many guardian points you've accumulated (which you get from fighting) that boosts your stats and gives your partner spells. If you gently caress up and die too much you'll get a bullshit Guardian like Jellyman that lowers your stats. It's basically a proto-Persona system. Also there's an NPC in Persona 1 that's pretty strongly suggested as being the heroine (you pick your gender) of If, as she not only looks just like her but drops lots of hints about her demon-fighting experience in her former high school.

It also introduces some elements that went on to be used in Devil Summoner/Soul Hackers--the concept of having a front and back rank to your party, and having party alignment rather than hero alignment. You can't put Law and Chaos demons in the same party, and whatever your party alignment is affects what demons will talk to you. DS/SH handled it much better by adding the concept of Extreme Law/Extreme Chaos though.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's basically a proto-Persona system. Also there's an NPC in Persona 1 that's pretty strongly suggested as being the heroine (you pick your gender) of If, as she not only looks just like her but drops lots of hints about her demon-fighting experience in her former high school.

She's also in Persona 2, as the detective lady. Which means she's probably the single most experienced character in the Persona setting, considering she appears in four games.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, even worse than Demikids. At least for all its weird ideas, Demikids didn't think things like Sloth were a good idea.

explanation: You have to keep running down the clock so the students slowly chip away and make a tunnel further into the place. So just keep making a circuit of the place. With random encounters on. And it is NOT quick.

No different than that tunnel to the Diet Building in Nocturne to get the treasure. :colbert:
and besides it's not like I run back and forth grinding anyway

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Booky posted:

You wouldn't get how irritating SMT1 is unless you played it yourself. It's an incredibly short game that they padded the gently caress out of by using a heavy encounter rate where every few steps there is a new enemy encounter and on top of that you can have double, triple and even quadruple encounters. The only way to get out of it is to recruit demons and have then negotiate all the time. But then you ask, wouldn't that give you more exp if there's more monsters to kill? No. Because they give you very little exp even with huge mobs. Then add confusing maps, bullshit status effects and very few saves and you've got a real winner.

What saves this game is that it's old-school charm, great music tracks and had an alignment system before it became cool.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I like the main-line SMT games because I'm a crotchety old geezer that grew up with Wizardry and Bard's Tale and like those style of dungeon crawler games but they're just not palatable to anyone that doesn't have that kind of nostalgia factor. Strange Journey got a lot of flak for its dungeons, and they're simpler than the earlier installments. (and absolutely kiddy-pool grade compared to the stuff us old farts played in the early-mid 80s) You might as well just light a big pile of money on fire instead, it takes less effort and gets the same results.

Even if it sold like poo poo, don't most things on the appstore do anyway and still make money? It's a piss easy translation job. It's an incredibly short game and there isn't a whole lot of text to wade through. It'd get a modicum of attention from those curious enough to play the original.

Also, you're talking to a guy that never was brought up on first person dungeon crawlers, but on stuff like FF. I definitely appreciate something different every once in a while.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Proto Cloud posted:

You wouldn't get how irritating SMT1 is unless you played it yourself. It's an incredibly short game that they padded the gently caress out of by using a heavy encounter rate where every few steps there is a new enemy encounter and on top of that you can have double, triple and even quadruple encounters. The only way to get out of it is to recruit demons and have then negotiate all the time. But then you ask, wouldn't that give you more exp if there's more monsters to kill? No. Because they give you very little exp even with huge mobs. Then add confusing maps, bullshit status effects and very few saves and you've got a real winner.

What saves this game is that it's old-school charm, great music tracks and had an alignment system before it became cool.

Ohh. A product of its time, I guess? How long's the game with, like, half the random encounters?

Also, I assume MT1 is like that, but even shorter?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Proto Cloud posted:

Even if it sold like poo poo, don't most things on the appstore do anyway and still make money? It's a piss easy translation job. It's an incredibly short game and there isn't a whole lot of text to wade through. It'd get a modicum of attention from those curious enough to play the original.

No way--it's really, really hard to make money on the app store nowadays with the massive glut of stuff on there now. If you don't get in the top grossers list or featured by Apple you are doomed to obscurity. And even that isn't a guarantee. There was some discussion of that in the iOS games thread a bit back--Shalinor's the dev for Jones on Fire; it's a really good game that got rave reviews and was featured by Apple and she still had to make an emergency change to the pricing structure due to low sales.

And SMT would be a big job, and would cost in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Translating a game is way more than just translating a script, slapping it in and calling it a day--there's the overhead for negotiating the deal between Atlus USA and Japan, debugging, QA, the whole nine yards. They'd have to sell tens of thousands of copies to do better than break even and that's not gonna happen with SMT, especially since it's drat near guaranteed to get terrible reviews which would tank their sales/downloads even further.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Booky posted:

How bad is the random encounter rate in the original SMT games anyways? Like "every 2 steps a fight" kinda thing?

Oh god, Shin Megami Tensei I :stare:

Played it back in 2005 back when:
  1. A friend of mine was getting rid of all his "kiddie" stuff that wouldn't do poo poo for him in college.
  2. I considered that my Japanese was, for the most part, already well cemented.
The first part of the game is, for the most part, relatively friendly, if a bit relentless because holy crap random encounters can wreck your poo poo up if you're unprepared. Haven't played it in a while, even though I still have it in both SFC and GBA cartridges.

When you start playing the 2nd act after (spoilers for those who haven't played it) Japan gets nuked to the ground is when the real fun starts. Suddenly you have no demon allies, and your human buddies are nowhere to be found but oh poo poo, you're still getting into random demon encounters! And if you didn't level up properly / had decent weaponry with you, you can't even do proper negotiations and need to make your punk-rear end scarce, because every demon toys with you like a bitch. I also believe that this is when trap doors / one-way doors begin to appear. From there on, if you're not willing to do the legwork, the game will kill you at every opportunity it gets.

Don't misunderstand me, it's the game that actually got me into the series and I still love it. I discovered shortly after finishing it that both Shin Megami Tensei titles for the SNES/SFC had gotten translated and that Nocturne existed. :bravo:

But as Proto Cloud pretty clearly stated:
  1. It has a lot of padding.
  2. The fights can get really tiresome.
  3. The trap doors/floors are loving bullshit.
  4. The map function is horrible and you will get lost.
  5. And... in all honesty, it hasn't aged very well.

I can't imagine the game actually turning a profit if they decide to relaunch it. With all the flak that is getting for its aesthetic choices and whatnot, I really do hope SMT IV does well (or at least that it breaks even) because it really feels like Atlus is pulling all the stops for the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

Also, I assume MT1 is like that, but even shorter?

Noooot really. I mean, there's a ton of encounters and it's a short game, but the battles generally aren't very tough and the maps are pretty straight forward until the last quarter or so of the game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

Noooot really. I mean, there's a ton of encounters and it's a short game, but the battles generally aren't very tough and the maps are pretty straight forward until the last quarter or so of the game.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Proto Cloud posted:

No. Because they give you very little exp even with huge mobs.

That's mostly a result of the game basing exp gain on the level difference between you and the enemy. If you have a few immobilising spells, you can quickly gain levels by killing stuff that's far more powerful than you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like Devil Survivor 2 Break Record will largely be the same as Overclocked (everything's on the bottom screen but wowee check out those 3D menus!!). The new scenario will apparently be selectable from the title screen and it will feature a casual mode.

It also apparently features a totally new and original character:

I seriously can't tell if this is supposed to be legit or not, because it's so stupid, but it probably will be.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Well I guess they'll take Yamato's character in a slightly different direction??

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
That character looks like other characters!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TurnipFritter posted:

It looks like Devil Survivor 2 Break Record will largely be the same as Overclocked (everything's on the bottom screen but wowee check out those 3D menus!!). The new scenario will apparently be selectable from the title screen and it will feature a casual mode.

I seriously can't tell if this is supposed to be legit or not, because it's so stupid, but it probably will be.

Countdown until the fanbase gets a hateon for her before they know anything beyond new character beginning now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat it, stop giving that bastard work.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Since it's obviously Yamato's sister or something, I'm curious to how she's going to be characterized. I'm hoping she's not just Yamato...but a girl!!! like her design suggests.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TurnipFritter posted:

...Is this for real? That's Makoto with Yamato's head.

Also disappointed to hear it's the same as the first game, I was very excited for 3D bellybutton.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Since it's obviously Yamato's sister or something, I'm curious to how she's going to be characterized. I'm hoping she's not just Yamato...but a girl!!! like her design suggests.

This will happen, except that you will probably also date her at some point.

Seriously though, that's some lazy character design, even by that dude's standards.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I still can't get over that guy's art. :psyduck:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Honestly, having seen what other art and character designs have been getting work in JRPGs lately, going back to Gravity Tits just feels so much more paletable.

That said, I'm not really sure if I'll buy Devil Survivor again just for a handful of new features. Then again, they haven't told us what new demons or other bonus stuff is in it too. I am pretty much a hapless slave to Atlus.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That new character is pretty terrible.

What kills it for me, above and beyond anything, is the horrible yellow legwear. I just get the impression she was going to put on rainwear but only got halfway there.

I mean, Makoto had a yellow skirt, but it was just a skirt. Her outfit was mostly black.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
According to the Megaten wiki, the DS2 art book mentions Yamato having a twin sister called Miyako Hotsuin. Looks like yet another case of fraternal twins appearing identical.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm torn on whether to hate this because it's a lazy and bad design decision or to love this because it means I hopefully get to bash in Yamato's smug face twice in one game.

Edit: I decided I love it because I can laugh it and I also get to bash in Yamato's smug face twice in one game. It's the perfect thing, really.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If there's anyone getting P4A from Game and doesn't want their preorder bonus (the vinyl soundtrack) I'd be more than willing to buy it off someone. I have no desire to get another copy of P4A but I have a never ending obsession with getting that vinyl soundtrack.