Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Francois Kofko posted:

Blitzball owns.

It's also seriously boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Auron's was the only Sigil I got. All the others just seemed to be too much of a pain in the rear end at the time.

I don't even remember how you get Auron's Sigil though.

Monster Arena.

Yuna's was really easy, beat that summoner optional boss, and Rikkus wasn't that bad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A lot of them weren't that bad, merely tedious.

Then you had Kimahri's butterfly bullshit. Done it once, never doing it again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Once again, my rundown on the Celestial Weapons:

Tidus: Bullshit, but bearable if you go in with the mindset of "Eh, I'll get it eventually" rather than getting mad when you lose.
Wakka: I enjoyed Blitzball, so this was fun for me.
Rikku: I don't even remember this one, so it must not have been too terrible. Something to do with Cactaurs, I think.
Kimahri: Meh. I have maps. It's not that hard.
Auron: Tedious, but not bad otherwise.
Yuna: They basically just hand you this one if you're diligent about getting all the summons.
Lulu: :suicide:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 22, 2017

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Someone made a comparison screenshot for the FFX HD Collection versus uprendering to 720p with PCSX2.

Uprendering to 720p with PCSX2

FFX HD Collection

Miracon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2013

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It looks like they're actually using higher-poly models. Nice to see they're putting more effort into it than the usual HD ports. They're doing something similar with Kingdom Hearts, using the high-poly models from KH3D.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I dig that, really, but Auron's higher-poly model looks off. It's his eyes: compare the upscaled one to the new one, you can actually see his eyes now. I dunno, I think it makes him give off another impression.

I'm not complaining, mind you, these new models are really great overall.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A little off topic, but I'd like to thank whoever it was that suggested I get Tactics Ogre for the PSP. I picked it up today and I'm having a lot of fun with it, even if I don't completely understand the mechanics of classes and skills yet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

A little off topic, but I'd like to thank whoever it was that suggested I get Tactics Ogre for the PSP. I picked it up today and I'm having a lot of fun with it, even if I don't completely understand the mechanics of classes and skills yet.

Check in to the ongoing LP thread to find some active players (or ask here, I'm sure there's some crossover of fans).

You can't mess anything up (I mean you really can't mess anything up), so just play at your own pace. On top of rewinding in combat, you can literally rewind time after you beat the game and explore any branch or path in the storyline. It's pretty awesome.

There are some useful cheats to make crafting bearable, I posted them in the LP thread.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The first time I beat FF8 I ground to like 60 on Disc 1 and 100 by the end of Disc 2, and I can attest that for the most part it doesn't actually make anything difficult (and does in fact trivialize almost every boss fight) save for one super obnoxious issue: the level cap being 100 means that when your whole party hits the level cap, Level 5 Death becomes a 100% instant KO on everyone unless you've got some specific precaution against it.

The thing about over-leveled normal enemies is that they also carry over-leveled spells, which lets you draw 100 copies of spells like Meltdown way before you're supposed to.
My first playthrough I leveled a bunch and was getting murdered by random encounters. Next game I kept levels low, til I was going to fight Omega, then I used Cactuar's stat boosts and powerlevelled all 6 of my chars, especially so my 3 without GF's could make it to the Omega trigger. Jumbo Cactuar rules.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So how exactly does one accumulate AP/DP/whatever for abilities in FFX-2? At first I thought it was just killing enemies but then I learned something in the middle of the giant crab boss fight and I'm just confused.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So how exactly does one accumulate AP/DP/whatever for abilities in FFX-2? At first I thought it was just killing enemies but then I learned something in the middle of the giant crab boss fight and I'm just confused.

You earn it by both defeating enemies and using abilities.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Terper posted:

I dig that, really, but Auron's higher-poly model looks off. It's his eyes: compare the upscaled one to the new one, you can actually see his eyes now. I dunno, I think it makes him give off another impression.

It's not just his eyes. For one, his sleeve seems to have LESS detail in the higher-poly model (the straps are just painted on now). Also, his coat is just generally brighter, as opposed to the road-worn kinda dirty look he had going before. Everything besides Auron looks pretty good, though (not enough for me to ever play through it and deal with the loving minigames again, of course).

Edit:

Using actual abilities (not "Fight" or "Item" or the like) gets points also. It's typically easier to master classes like mages that use abilities than it is to master jobs like Fighter or especially Berserker that just hit things. Hell, you could just spam "Pray" in battle forever to master a job.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 23, 2013

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's also seriously boring.

Yeah, I never understood why everyone was so hype about it. It was grindy and clunky.

Then again, I don't understand why people like Soccer/Fútbol either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ShadeofDante posted:

So based on the sales of FF:D and the fact it seems generally well received, anyone else hope that team is allowed to make more spin off FF games?

I still haven't beat the game but it really does capture a lot of what made the older FF games so classic.

From the look of the FF5 remake I'd be surprised if they aren't the ones porting it to mobile.

I just hope they aren't redoing the script. FFD was a fun game but the writing was unforgivably terrible and they'd butcher FF5 to the point of having people yearn for the days of Y-BURNS.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Atma Weapons will always be cooler than Ultima Weapons :colbert:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I always call it Atma Weapon in that game, it just seems wrong otherwise. But the FF5 GBA translation is miles above the other versions. There's really no argument, unless you like Time Magic being 'translated' as Jinruykuu or whatever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

From the look of the FF5 remake I'd be surprised if they aren't the ones porting it to mobile.

I just hope they aren't redoing the script. FFD was a fun game but the writing was unforgivably terrible and they'd butcher FF5 to the point of having people yearn for the days of Y-BURNS.

I don't know, I'm starting to think Salsa the Pirate Impersonator wasn't all that bad. Sure, the enemy translations are horrible (Soccer) and the pirate speak gets grating as hell at times, but it's worth it for those inopportune moments when Faris speaking like an idiot makes the entire scene hilarious, like so (FF5 spoilers).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Personaly, I'd be cool with them keeping the Advance script if only because it knew drat well that FF5 didn't take itself all that seriously at the best of times.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Elec posted:

I finished 9 for the first time last night. That was incredible, and a lot of fun. I told myself I wasn't going to bother with tedious sidequests and was just going to sort of plow through, but after looking up one thing in a walkthrough early on I just decided to follow it exactly, doing every dumb side thing, and had a lot of fun doing it. (Didn't bother with Ozma though) Probably cut my total time down by a few hours too, which is good considering my dumb plan to marathon the series again starting with games I haven't played yet.
Next on my list to play is 8... this might be a longshot but is there a 'definitive' walkthrough anyone likes? Even just hearing the words 'junction', 'refine', 'draw', triple triad, etc etc just seems really arcane, though I'm sure it'll be easier to understand once I actually start the game.

The mechanics are fairly easy to understand once you're in the game. I had OCD about drawing, had to draw from every enemy and get 100 of every magic just to have 100 of every magic even if I didn't need it for junctioning. :shepface:

Doing it that way makes most combat pretty easy. The things you would need a guide for are to make sure you don't miss a summon so any guide will do.

effectual posted:

My first playthrough I leveled a bunch and was getting murdered by random encounters. Next game I kept levels low, til I was going to fight Omega, then I used Cactuar's stat boosts and powerlevelled all 6 of my chars, especially so my 3 without GF's could make it to the Omega trigger. Jumbo Cactuar rules.

I think this would only happen if you leveled a ton but didn't also draw millions of magic as you went along for junctioning.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

How if the flying gently caress am I supposed to be these High Score for the Gunner's Gauntlet. Every loving time I get to a high chain bonus the targeting system just plain forgets to mention there's two targets there so I don't use my dual ammo and then suddenly BAM lovely wolf just hits me and then there goes my score.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

How if the flying gently caress am I supposed to be these High Score for the Gunner's Gauntlet. Every loving time I get to a high chain bonus the targeting system just plain forgets to mention there's two targets there so I don't use my dual ammo and then suddenly BAM lovely wolf just hits me and then there goes my score.

There's a blind spot under the last waterfall on the long winding map, and as long as you stay next to the fence, the monsters never hit you. It's cheesing it, but gunner's gauntlet is terribly boring anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Systematic System posted:

There's a blind spot under the last waterfall on the long winding map, and as long as you stay next to the fence, the monsters never hit you. It's cheesing it, but gunner's gauntlet is terribly boring anyway.

Great, Fantastic. Time to cheese this. Thanks

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?

Mega64 posted:

I don't know, I'm starting to think Salsa the Pirate Impersonator wasn't all that bad. Sure, the enemy translations are horrible (Soccer) and the pirate speak gets grating as hell at times, but it's worth it for those inopportune moments when Faris speaking like an idiot makes the entire scene hilarious

I don't know, I'm really fond of the RPGe translation. Always heard it called bland and such, but I think it does a lot of things in a lot of the right ways. The GBA translation wasn't bad at all, though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The GBA translation features a snarky turtle that mocks the hero's intelligence at every opportunity. It could gently caress up the rest of the translation (yet it doesn't), and I'd still love it for that alone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

The GBA translation features a snarky turtle that mocks the hero's intelligence at every opportunity. It could gently caress up the rest of the translation (yet it doesn't), and I'd still love it for that alone.

To wit.

(Alternatively, there's this one.)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You guys are making me increasingly mad that I broke my DSi and my XL can't play my GBA copy :saddowns:

I'll never beat FF5 :<

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Miracon posted:

Someone made a comparison screenshot for the FFX HD Collection versus uprendering to 720p with PCSX2.

Uprendering to 720p with PCSX2

FFX HD Collection

Good to see the tit budget (budgtit? no?) was well spent. They are actually round now! No, but seriously, drat those are some nice models there. I hope they made the animations better too.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Whoever brought up Four Job Fiesta in here previously already has me pumped up for it. So much so that I just ordered a SFC copy of FF5.

This year, gonna do it right. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

iastudent posted:

Whoever brought up Four Job Fiesta in here previously already has me pumped up for it. So much so that I just ordered a SFC copy of FF5.

This year, gonna do it right. :v:

I still remember meeting a friends college roommate and watching him play FF5 and 6 with giant pile of dot matrix paper beside him - a translation :v:

(he also turned out to be a loving weirdo, but I don't think that's related)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kyrosiris posted:

To wit.

(Alternatively, there's this one.)

Sometimes you can just tell when someone has fun doing what they do.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Wrong.

I love this hack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't think it's possible to express in words how much I hate Alba. Jesus christ.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't think it's possible to express in words how much I hate Alba. Jesus christ.

She's a psychopath. Her reactions to things are pure snark and sarcasm no matter what is happening or how dire. It's awful. She reminds me of the "funny" Hawke responses from DA2, like they made a character just out of those.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Levantine posted:

She's a psychopath. Her reactions to things are pure snark and sarcasm no matter what is happening or how dire. It's awful. She reminds me of the "funny" Hawke responses from DA2, like they made a character just out of those.

Yeah, she's had exactly one line that I thought was not awful, and it's a throwback to another game. (This one, but it has visual lategame spoilers)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love sarcastic characters but there needs to be some logical thread holding them together and a character underneath all the snark, not just 'bratty teenager who's really annoyed at their mom.'

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The more I play Dimensions the more I absolutely love it. It really, truly is an Old School FF game through and through. There are some dumb moments (all of Alba's) and some of the random townspeople dilaog are very meme-y (an honest to god 'arrow to the knee' NPC, christ) but the game is excellent. The story is directly from that era, the gameplay is basically V on steriods. The music is really nice and the monster sprites range from good to pretty badass.

I hope we get to see more like it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wish it was on other platforms - I really don't want to play an FF game on my phone, it's just not comfortable for that sort of play :(

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

victrix posted:

I wish it was on other platforms - I really don't want to play an FF game on my phone, it's just not comfortable for that sort of play :(

Yeah, I would have preferred it on a game console but it plays relatively well on a tablet. I prefer actual buttons and d-pads though. I hope that Squareenix devotes some resources to stuff like this and lets the teams that do it well just do it. I miss old school FF and Dimensions really fills that void. They need to do more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Here's the X/X-2 HD trailer for anyone interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uwJr5M2n0

Looks like we are getting a good Final Fantasy for PS3 after all.