Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

Pay cut wouldn't actually be that gigantic, pull in 100-120 or so.

I'm sure you've thought about it. But you save so much coin at sea by not commuting, not feeding yourself etc. for half the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Are there any goons down in Angola these days? We might be going there this summer, was wondering what it is like if/when you go ashore.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I worked with some FSRs that worked rigs out of Angola and they did not paint a very flattering picture but that was a few years ago.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Looks like Tote is building a new LNG powered container ship to run on the west coast (California to Hawaii?)

quote:

SAN DIEGO – General Dynamics NASSCO, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), announced today that it has finalized a contract with TOTE, Inc., for the design and construction of two 3,100 TEU LNG-powered containerships, setting a new benchmark in green ship technology. When completed the 764-foot-long containerships are expected to be the largest ships of any type in the world primarily powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG). Construction of the first containership is scheduled to begin in the first quarter of 2014, with delivery to occur by the fourth quarter of 2015; the second ship will be delivered in the first quarter of 2016. The contract between NASSCO and TOTE Shipholdings, Inc., a subsidiary of TOTE, Inc., includes options for three additional ships.

edit: running from Florida to Puerto Rico

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Heard about these, with the new emissions rules diesel and old steam ships are dead in their current form. Was really hoping for steam, reciprocating is so boring.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Most of the projects I've seen so far are dual-fuel, LNG with a bit of LNG diesel to get it to ignite. The engine itself is apparently pretty similar to a regular old diesel.

The ECA rules coming into effect are going to make LNG a whole lot more common for coastal vessels. There just isn't enough low sulfur fuel to go around economically, and I don't really expect that to change soon. Apparently the stuff isn't as profitable to refine as good old HFO; you end up losing some of the more valuable fractions while regular HFO was just a byproduct of the regular cracking process.

Edit: Wrong kind of fuel!

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 5, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Natural gas recips are basically a diesel they put spark plugs and a pre combustion chamber in. The Wartsila 20v34SG's I worked on were adapted from their diesel line. They are very nice to work with, they are just so clean.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well, that's it. I'm now a Class 3 Marine Engineer.

We need a new cadet.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Well, that's it. I'm now a Class 3 Marine Engineer.

We need a new cadet.

Well done!

What were your orals like?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pazrs posted:

Sloppy, too much teeth.

Good job Two Fingers! You get to nominate the next thread cadet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pazrs posted:

Well done!

Extremely stressful. I've never been so loving nervous in my life as I was the night before, but as much as anything that was me building it up too much.
I got asked to explain the layout of my last ship and got asked various questions about items of machinery as I mentioned them, I got asked about the marpol annexes, I got several questions on boiler safeties, several on freshwater delivery and the hydrophores, a few things on safety, focussing on the emergency fire pump and ventilation.
In hindsight, they were all easy questions that I should have nailed, but I was so loving nervous I took a long time to answer each one.

Shovelbum, you're it, I don't think we even have another cadet in here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Trying to upgrade, renew my TWIC and random credentials and go back to work all at once.

Hey guess what? You get to join the real world and play dumb third for awhile now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

More importantly, I'll actually get loving paid. So sick of being completely flat broke.

magpie
Apr 28, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Shovelbum, you're it, I don't think we even have another cadet in here.

Nah I'm still a cadet but I'll be qualifying this summer.

Congratulations! Do you have a job lined up? Is it pretty easy for newly qualified officers to get a job in North America? Here in the UK I have heard it can be difficult to get a contract as a new officer but once you get your first stamp it's easy after that; the advice here is always to take the first job offer no matter what it is for that reason.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

magpie posted:

Nah I'm still a cadet but I'll be qualifying this summer.

Congratulations! Do you have a job lined up? Is it pretty easy for newly qualified officers to get a job in North America? Here in the UK I have heard it can be difficult to get a contract as a new officer but once you get your first stamp it's easy after that; the advice here is always to take the first job offer no matter what it is for that reason.

Well, cadet, I can't tell you anything about North America because I'm from New Zealand. I have a job lined up already, will be flying out as soon as my ticket comes through. Not sure about difficulty with finding a job, pretty well everyone from my class has already started work, though I think a couple of guys are still looking.

magpie
Apr 28, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Well, cadet, I can't tell you anything about North America because I'm from New Zealand.

Oops sorry; cadets eh! Morons think they know everything.

I'm hoping to get employed by my sponsor company so I don't end up on a fishery protection vessel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

magpie posted:

I'm hoping to get employed by my sponsor company so I don't end up on a fishery protection vessel.

I think that's pretty common, that's what's happened with me. Are you deck or engine? I can't remember

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

magpie posted:

Hey don't know fishery protection, they're great fun!

Smelly as poo poo tho.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
show me your teak floored ballroom ECR not seen on the photo is the couch/coffe break area and the 63" TV

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait, THAT'S your control room? We Americans joke all day that the definition of a ship is "something they forgot how to build 30 years ago". These are the control rooms from my cadet time on the Hawaii run and on the training ship respectively.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
No real good pics of the ECR, few quirky ones.

Oh no!

The famous DevCon cock 'n balls. Will probably outlive the ship!

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
is it a babcock boiler?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

is it a babcock boiler?

She had MHI licensed copy of a Combustion Eng. design. Two 60 bar boilers. I say had because she is Bangladeshi cooking pots now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Did someone save the boiler dick?

There's a guy in India that puts all sorts of poo poo from scrapped vessels on eBay, it's amazing. Mostly stuff like flags, barometers, sextants, IMO stickers... Once in a while though you'll see sometime weird like a lot of two immersion suits for $40 or something, it's pretty awesome.

Lots of soviet sextants flying around for some reason...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FrozenVent posted:

There's a guy in India that puts all sorts of poo poo from scrapped vessels on eBay, it's amazing. Mostly stuff like flags, barometers, sextants, IMO stickers... Once in a while though you'll see sometime weird like a lot of two immersion suits for $40 or something, it's pretty awesome.

Lots of soviet sextants flying around for some reason...

Link?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I think it was created just to give the poor guys chopping her up a laugh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Soon as I'm back on my computer, might be a couple of days.

In the meantime, enjoy this quote from the law school thread, about why you shouldn't go to law school:

woozle wuzzle posted:

I've used this example in this thread before, and I think it bears out: Let's say I love boats. Holy poo poo everything about boats is great. So I go to work on a boat. What I learn about my actual job on the boat has loving zero to do with boats. My daily work is not boating, it's a job that sucks and actually makes me hate whatever it is I used to love about boats. All I want to do when I'm off work is to be as far away from boats as humanly possible. But the only thing I'm trained to do is to work on a god damned boat, so I'm chained to it for life.

Why is it not surprising to me that a lawyer basically wrote deckofficer.txt?

(Disclaimer: if you're willing to take a 30% people, you can go work for the people managing the boats after five years or so.)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I keep turning down shoreside jobs starting at 100k with built in overtime plus more OT pushing it to 120+ starting with increases once you qualify etc etc. I'm dumb.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

FrozenVent posted:

Why is it not surprising to me that a lawyer basically wrote deckofficer.txt?

I think my problem was that I didn't care about boats in the first place. Also, I accidentally got promoted to second mate.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

I keep turning down shoreside jobs starting at 100k with built in overtime plus more OT pushing it to 120+ starting with increases once you qualify etc etc. I'm dumb.

As it the leave keeping you at sea?

Personally I wouldn't trade working 6 weeks on 6 weeks off for the same money on the beach... Working four times a year is great!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stratafyre posted:

I think my problem was that I didn't care about boats in the first place. Also, I accidentally got promoted to second mate.

So did I - the regular third didn't want the job.

I once flipped a coin with another guy to see who'd get 2nd and who'd get 3rd. Loser got the 12-4 and 75 cents more an hour!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sweta4086 on eBay

I've bought some stuff from the guy (A hilariously gigantic Furuno GPS; don't drink an eBay people) and it showed up, for what it's worth. Never did try it because, well, why the gently caress did I buy the drat thing?

It's amazing the poo poo he's got up there. Need a Walker speed log? Part of an Inmarsat C terminal? A lot of two TPA? (NEVER USED! Can you imagine! :laugh:)

It seems he's also taken to parting out sextants for sale :iiam:

DISCLAIMER: Don't buy used sextants for navigational purposes, especially not ones that will be shipped oversea by post, Jesus Christ.

Edit: Or EEBDs. :drat: Especially ones that expired in 2001.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 29, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I know some ships that could use some of that stuff for parts.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Awesome! I see some nice stuff.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I kind of want that speed log.

Or an immersion suit. Just for loving around purposes. Halloween, maybe.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I am declaring that Speed 2 is now required viewing for all mariners. Also bonus Temuera Morrison action.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I am declaring that Speed 2 is now required viewing for all mariners. Also bonus Temuera Morrison action.

It's indeed a masterpiece. When I was in nautical school we had a drinking game fashioned around Titanic: The Animated Version (Everyone survives!) but that was only because Titanic 2 hadn't been released yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f720MNvOeVc

It's on Netflix. It's worth your time if you have a couple of friends and some booze.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Trench_Rat posted:

show me your teak floored ballroom ECR not seen on the photo is the couch/coffe break area and the 63" TV

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Congratulations! You are officially not incompetent! :cheers:

• Locked thread