Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Manuel Calavera posted:

Probably the sending the diaper if someone bid on that. Since there'd still be alcohol present.

Man, the internet produces some strange loving sentences I'd never expect to type :v:

Honestly I'm more bothered by the idea of someone who'd buy that diaper :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Metropolis posted:

Have you ever seen this site? http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

Basically you tie the second half of your knot the opposite of the way you've been doing it.

I want to make a little tiny sliver of a derail to save you all loads of accumulative time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cndfNmlm_jA

Due to Dyspraxia, it took me longer than most to learn how to tie my shoes. When I finally learnt, I was always known as the dude who takes ages tying his shoes, now I'm the dude who is the fastest at lace tying.

I am not very exciting.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

neongrey posted:

Oh man, where have these been all my life? For whatever reason I just cannot tie a lace so that it'll hold.

If you tie your laces like the guy who invented this thing, it's no mystery. He's tying a granny knot (doing it wrong.)

I can yank my sneakers off after they've been tied, but I need to untie them and loosen them considerably to get them back on, then cinch them up and tie them again. I'm having a really hard time believing that a "set it and forget it" lace system would really work out very well for most people. Also, I'm pretty sure a product like this has come out before and didn't really catch on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Noyemi K posted:

That DnD crap must be fake. Who plays a paladin without a deity? Have fun without your powers, kid.

Edit: looking at the KS in question and the comments in the thread, the kid must be fake, too. My sister is 9 and interested in STEM, and she doesn't talk like that.

Uhhh: Holy cow, 10k for that?

Te crazy-as-poo poo lady used for the picture in this looks familiar but I guess all soulless :stare: faces kind of look alike. If the kickstarter isn't a huge scam I'll be surprised, however they linked the camp at the bottom of the KS page so it shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of them and ask "hey can you verify this is legit" if needed.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Well you should back this project so she does'nt become a mildly attractive middle-aged lady married to a guy, because guys suck, with glasses and stuff.

All Trump did was study how to stay relevant after going bankrupt multiple times while being born in to wealth.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

monkey4love posted:

For 10K 'the brothers' will send you a personal apology. Limit of 5, so act fast.

An apology for what? Wasting my time with a shite reward tier?

Gee, I'll take ten! :downs:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Te crazy-as-poo poo lady used for the picture in this looks familiar but I guess all soulless :stare: faces kind of look alike.

Perhaps it's because the real Susan Wilson is a famous businesswoman who became a dotcom multimillionaire a few years ago.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Noyemi K posted:

That DnD crap must be fake. Who plays a paladin without a deity? Have fun without your powers, kid.

I thought "how the hell can a paladin be true neutral?" but then realized the word was Eladrin, not paladin. Some weird 4E stuff. "Shebawnie" is a level 3 rogue with the same retarded mishmash of letters I would've used when I was 9, but my parents were at least honest enough to crush my young hopes and dreams early with a swift "You were born 30 years too late and on the wrong side of the planet to make Nintendo games. It's a saturated market anyways, have you considered biology?"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Eww, 4E. Actually it's a bit spergy of me to say that, but... yikes.

Anyway, RPG Maker doesn't do much good for most people that pick it up... plus we've established that it's probably some woman using the likeness of her daughter and stuff to scam money out of poor chumps foolish enough to fall for the ploy.

In other news, please help this fool get their disturbing-looking children's book self-printed to sneak into libraries.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hahahahaha only $5 pledged out of 100. Thank god

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
It takes more effort to write a children's book than it does to go downtown and steal $100 of copper pipe, never mind working 15 hours at a minimum wage job. If you can't come up with $100 to fund a piece of art you think is important enough to be in public libraries, you are the worst human.

Mad about kickstarters.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Risks and challenges section: "If my project does get funded, I will assure you that I'll be able to provide all the rewards based on the amount you pledge. My book has already been completed, so it is readily available for me to send the rewards."

I know Kickstarter checks each campaign before they go live so how do people get away with risks and challenges sections like that? I mean they haven't actually identified any risks or challenges. They've essentially just said it'l happen because I pinky promise.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I saw a Lulu.com link, so surprise, surprise, it's done by a vanity press.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

I saw a Lulu.com link, so surprise, surprise, it's done by a vanity press.

Did anyone think any different?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Shorter Than Some posted:

I know Kickstarter checks each campaign before they go live so how do people get away with risks and challenges sections like that? I mean they haven't actually identified any risks or challenges. They've essentially just said it'l happen because I pinky promise.

Kickstarter may check campaigns, but it certainly doesn't check them terribly rigourously. Evidence: this entire thread.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

miguelito posted:

I don't know what amazes me more - the ingenuity of some scammers, or the stupidity of the internet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w?ref=category

The gist: White middle-class mom wants 900 bucks for her :3: widdle daughter (who plays on PS3 and Kindle HD) to visit RPG Camp so she can make an RPG. This is because a.) her brothers called her a poopyhead and this is clearly the best solution and b.) it's a meaningful step to make "Girls in Tech" (verbatim quote from the thumbnail) more relevant.

The first reason would classify this as a light-hearted parody kickstarter, the second one however is just impossible to fathom in human thoughts.

This one hurts me: at face value yeah it's awesome to empower girls/women to go into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (I refuse to call it by an acronym). However, when her mother knows what the gently caress the "gamification of education" means, it tells me that her own drat mother is salient enough to know that her daughter should go to RPG camp regardless of its outside-funding. It's almost as if tech-mamma is living through her tech-daughter, which only makes me question my own apprehension more: if our society builds up boys so much through parental involvement in things like sports, why can't she through RPG-maker camp?

Edit:

BoutrosBoutros posted:

Even if that's all it was it wouldn't be too ridiculous. I went to boy scout summer camp most years as a kid and all it was was older kids taught us merit badge poo poo. They did it for free room and board over the week. It cost about the same amount as this kickstarter's goal. Of course, kickstarter wasn't a thing at the time, so we had to pay for it by various fundraisers over the year but you can't really do that as an individual person.
Case in point, as if fundraising for boys is non-problematic, but if it's a 9 year-old girl????

omgmofohomolol has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Mar 23, 2013

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
For what it's worth, I don't think the "everyone pay to send my kid to camp" thing is the biggest issue (even if it does look fishy considering the "you finance a project" Kickstarter rule). It's the shameless exploitation of the girls in tech/girls vs. boys angle to get money from stupid and emotional people.

Because she could have easily presented the whole thing as "get my kid to camp" instead of "Support girls in tech by helping this bullied cute little girl show the boys who's boss! Here's a picture of the boys, don't they look like total cunts?".
The thing is made up like an 80's kids/teen comedy narrative, only you put in dollars to get the feelgood ending.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

miguelito posted:

Because she could have easily presented the whole thing as "get my kid to camp" instead of "Support girls in tech by helping this bullied cute little girl show the boys who's boss! Here's a picture of the boys, don't they look like total cunts?".
The thing is made up like an 80's kids/teen comedy narrative, only you put in dollars to get the feelgood ending.

It was finally here, the day of the big baseball game against the Sports camp across the lake. For decades, nerdy science computer camp-goers had been subjected annually to the humiliation of losing against the cool kids, but they had been preparing all summer to finally turn the tables.

"Are you ready, Misses Four-Eyes?" asked James. It seemed like so long since I had first come to camp, but I'd fallen for him the first time I saw him. I could only thank my parents and the camp for bringing us together, especially through their training for this very day.

"I'm ready, Mister Four-eyes!" We huddled together in front of the monitor as the Predator drone flew toward the field.

'Finally', I thought. 'Never again will my people be subjected to this torment. Never again!'

As the flying death machine flew into range, Blinky and Chesterford flipped the switches. "Weapons away!" they shouted in unison.

My smile spread as I heard the echo of explosions in the distance. I turned back toward the group. "And all the while they thought a high-tech power girl like me could have my attention held by RPG Maker."

The entire group gave a cheer, and we all jumping high fived. Freeze frame.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

miguelito posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think the "everyone pay to send my kid to camp" thing is the biggest issue (even if it does look fishy considering the "you finance a project" Kickstarter rule). It's the shameless exploitation of the girls in tech/girls vs. boys angle to get money from stupid and emotional people.

The other thing is those cunty boys are her brothers. You know, the children related to her by blood that her mother gave birth too and is raising in the same house? If it's such a big deal why hasn't the mother stepped in and actually disciplined her sons for being little shits to their younger daughter?

Kickstarter, please help me fund my daughter's camp trip because her brothers are meanie poopy heads and as their mother there is nothing I can do! (except send her to camp!)

Risque Business
Dec 8, 2012
I would bet my entire fortune of bitcoins that there is no daughter or family at all, and that whole kickstarter is being spoofed by whoever runs that silly RPG camp for publicity. And it's working way too well, because nerds are stupid.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

The Incredible Ed posted:

The entire group gave a cheer, and we all jumping high fived. Freeze frame.

I would easily pay $5 somehow to see this, hopefully in our 9 year-old child savior's game, casting doubt on her cunty brothers -- THEY ARE REDEEMED. MAMMA SURE TAUGHT THEM. While I'm in my own head-narrative, I'd rather see a game by Honey Boo Boo Child. :colbert:

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
So, uh, does this even qualify as a project? I mean it's pretty much a charity thing or a "fund my life", i.e. project without clear-cut goal. Because I'll admit that I find this offensive enough to think about reporting it to KS (who won't give a poo poo naturally as it's gonna make them $10ks of cash).
Not to mention the general doubts regarding the veracity of facts and people involved.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

omgmofohomolol posted:

This one hurts me: at face value yeah it's awesome to empower girls/women to go into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (I refuse to call it by an acronym).

I'm not sure how "making" an RPG with what you all say is an extremely easy to use, graphical program really qualifies as STEM education...

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

SovietSpyGuy posted:

I'm not sure how "making" an RPG with what you all say is an extremely easy to use, graphical program really qualifies as STEM education...

Clearly her making 1/3 complete generic rpg using tiles and conditional statements will prepare her for... something...

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Has anyone mentioned that one of her cunty brothers is wearing a shirt that apparently says "I think I'm a Lesbian."? It's bad enough that you let your cunty kid wear that shirt. It's even worse that you use it in your Kickstarter pitch. I don't generally judge people's parenting, but if this woman is real, she is a terrible mother.

EDIT: Ugh. I'm starting to think this woman is real. She has another project from earlier last year where she wanted $20K for loving capes. That one failed miserably, yet somehow she got her $20K, but to send her kid to RPG Maker Camp instead of for capes.

DeepDickPizza has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Mar 24, 2013

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
So someone did a little digging and it turns out that the woman and her family are indeed real people but there's one teensy little detail she left out: She's worth over $100 million.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Oh.
So Jedit wasn't joking.
:suicide:

EDIT: After reading the first page and a half of comments, I have lost all faith in humanity. A couple of people raising very legitimate concerns about a multimillionaire making a Kickstarter for her 9 year old to raise $20,000 to get revenge on her brothers. And then dozens of people calling them trolls and defending this completely abhorrent behavior.

DeepDickPizza has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Mar 24, 2013

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
Well I take back anything I said in defense of that kick starter. Sending a girl to camp who would otherwise be unable to afford to go is one thing. Bilking donations from people who will never see one 100th of the money you have to send your daughter to camp is unacceptable.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The mom probably thinks of it as a first lesson in business and attracting investors to a project. But it's just really out of touch and creepy - just let her run a lemonade stand or something. Or at least let the kid actually make the pitch and video, she'd get something out of it that way.

Otcho
May 4, 2012

quote:

"I used to get bored and wanted to do the next great thing. And I still do,"

There we go.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
When all is said and done, I think we can all agree that this woman will successfully teach her lovely values to her children. You're looking at the next generation of business leaders with zero ethics.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The mom probably thinks of it as a first lesson in business and attracting investors to a project. But it's just really out of touch and creepy - just let her run a lemonade stand or something. Or at least let the kid actually make the pitch and video, she'd get something out of it that way.

I meet people like her in business all the time. Do you feel like her Kiickstarter accurately portrayed the situation? There's a pretty clear line between marketing and massaging the message, versus lies of omission, etc. These people are what I like to refer to as "shady motherfuckers."

particle409 has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Mar 24, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

There's actually very few outlets for kids to learn how to run a business these days. There are laws that prohibit the operation of lemonade stands, the least of which requires a permit to run as well as following food service and health ordinances and the like. There's been cases where the cops have come out and shut down some kid's operation that hasn't made $5 then fined the parents $500. "Stranger danger" and people's intolerance for door-to-door sales has pretty much killed those school-sponsored chocolate sales and the internet has hurt sponsored magazine and newspaper sales. There's always Girl Scouts, but even there, you're better off leveraging with the group and sit out front of a Walmart than going it alone and deal from your own sidewalk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DeepDickPizza posted:

Oh.
So Jedit wasn't joking.
:suicide:

No, I wasn't. My apologies for not providing a link, though. It didn't occur to me to do so as I found the information in under 30 seconds with a simple Google search for her name.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

There's actually very few outlets for kids to learn how to run a business these days. There are laws that prohibit the operation of lemonade stands, the least of which requires a permit to run as well as following food service and health ordinances and the like. There's been cases where the cops have come out and shut down some kid's operation that hasn't made $5 then fined the parents $500. "Stranger danger" and people's intolerance for door-to-door sales has pretty much killed those school-sponsored chocolate sales and the internet has hurt sponsored magazine and newspaper sales. There's always Girl Scouts, but even there, you're better off leveraging with the group and sit out front of a Walmart than going it alone and deal from your own sidewalk.

First off, bullshit. All the schools I work for constantly have fundraisers going, from small things like candy bars and Krispy Kreme donuts to those catalogues full of overpriced novelties. And lemonade stands being shut down by the police is just a few isolated incidents that got huge national coverage because they could be twisted into some parable about how :bahgawd:BIG GUBMINT:bahgawd: is just so mean and stupid. I see kids running them all the time in the suburbs.

Secondly, none of that teaches you about running a business. They teach you how people will make you work long hours and exploit your relationships with your family and friends in exchange for some cheap plastic trinket while a big business makes all the actual money. All while the adults who are supposed to educate and protect you enable it as some sort of learning experience. Basically, this Onion article.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

DeepDickPizza posted:

Has anyone mentioned that one of her cunty brothers is wearing a shirt that apparently says "I think I'm a Lesbian."? It's bad enough that you let your cunty kid wear that shirt. It's even worse that you use it in your Kickstarter pitch. I don't generally judge people's parenting, but if this woman is real, she is a terrible mother.

Chill the gently caress out, he's just wearing it in support of his teenage lesbian best friend

quote:

And btw, my oldest son Zach IS wearing a t-shirt that says, "I think I'm a lesbian" and he's wearing it with pride! It was given to him by his best friend Kristen who just happens to be a lesbian and has a matching shirt. They also have matching "I love girls with tattoos" shirts along with matching Ellen underwear. I won't apologize for that either.

The PR bullshit this woman is spewing out really just amazes me.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

Also they have stupid hair because of they donated to Locks of Love. No, those shadows on their wrists aren't from recently discarded livestrong bracelets, they gave that ring of skin to help burn victims or something.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Jedit posted:

No, I wasn't. My apologies for not providing a link, though. It didn't occur to me to do so as I found the information in under 30 seconds with a simple Google search for her name.

It just didn't even occur to me to suspect or google such a thing. I think this makes me just as upset as the lovely indiegogos that exploit tragedies like the Newtown massacre. At least then I can imagine some impoverished person doing something deplorable out of desperation. This woman is doing it out of pure obliviousness to her extreme privilege. Everything about this makes me furious. A millionaire asking for people to give her money to send her spoiled kid to RPG camp (which is a violation of the KS rules to begin with). All of the people in the comments defending her when faced with these facts, and saying that the people calling it out are "jealous haters". Seriously, the worship of the wealthy in this country out of some sort of misguided belief that "hey, maybe one day that'll be me bootstrappin' myself into a penthouse"...it just makes me ill. This incredibly wealthy woman is essentially asking for handouts and people are praising her for it, for gently caress's sake.

And to top it all off, she's just being a terrible mother to her sons. I'm no MRA freak or anything, but she's pitting her children against each other as some sort of battle of the sexes. She didn't put up a proper pitch video because she didn't want to expose her children to potential unsavory elements of the internet, and yet the first thing you see on the page is a picture of one of her sons wearing a goddamn "I Think I'm a Lesbian" shirt, and the other one shirtless and looking like he's 5 years away from being on whatever the next incarnation of Jersey Shore is on MTV...oh and this is all apparently at Christmas. They've clearly started these two little shits down the path to entitled douchehood, and yet I still feel sorry for them. They've raised these kids to be assholes, and now are shaming them on the internet for such. Look at this excerpt from her recent update.

quote:

I tried to wrangle my family together to do a quick video update at about 8pm last night to prove we were real. That, as you'd suspect, turned into a total nightmare because one of my son's in particular has a chip on his shoulder about everything. His snide comments led to his father yelling at him which led to a video that was not exactly the Wilson family at its best. But to quell the "scam" rumors I almost posted it.

No poo poo? Your son "has a chip on his shoulder" about his mother villifying him on the internet to raise money (that she doesn't need) for his perfect angel sister to go to RPG camp. I can't imagine why?

This woman is an rear end in a top hat without knowing it, her kids will grow up to be the most entitled dickholes imaginable, and people like the ones in the comment section will continue to defend such actions while calling the poor a bunch of worthless leeches. gently caress humanity. We suck.

EDIT: After reading some of the recent comments from overnight, I can't even cut this woman any slack for being oblivious. She's an outright manipulator. Truly detestable and I hope this gets plenty of backlash and negative coverage and gets shut down.

DeepDickPizza has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Mar 24, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Jucging by some of the links in the comments, the Reddit MRA shits have found that kickstarter. I really hope KS have the sense to shut it down before it turns into a complete cesspool.

aquaper
Apr 3, 2009
Pledge $10000 and she'll have the brothers give you a personal apology. What kind of awful person does this to their own children?

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Probably the same kind of person that puts an embarassing photo of them on the internet, villifies them repeatedly and adds updates reporting the humiliation they're experiencing thanks to all this.

Also one should add, she mercifully limited the $10k tier to 5 slots. No reason to get greedy after all if your goal is just $900, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

DeepDickPizza posted:

Seriously, the worship of the wealthy in this country out of some sort of misguided belief that "hey, maybe one day that'll be me bootstrappin' myself into a penthouse"...it just makes me ill.

Yeah, this woman is a retard. So gently caress everyone who isn't poor! I hate the wealthy! Nobody ever starts successful businesses unless they were already rich*! Ugh! gently caress this gay earth!

Take a breather there, go outside or something. You're going to have an aneurysm. Some stupid woman started a stupid Kickstarter for her kids, and other middle-aged people who think kids are adorable are giving her money. Whatever. Nobody took anything from you. Nobody forced anyone to give her money. It's a retarded kickstarter but for fucks sake go talk to a real human being and stop hyperventilating at your computer.

*Irrelevant to this KS, I'm aware.