Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If he wants to be useful, he should probably consider translating the entirety of the 24-hour specials, since SAGCCX have said they won't do it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hakkesshu posted:

If he wants to be useful, he should probably consider translating the entirety of the 24-hour specials, since SAGCCX have said they won't do it :colbert:
Y'know, I've often considered offering my services to SAGCCX in secret, but the fact of the matter is that my "internal translator" is good for getting the gist of things myself, but probably really bad for telling it to other people. It's very on-the-fly and if I actually try to sit down and make sense of what I'm hearing, it just crumbles into gibberish. It's what stopped me from trying to sub the other half of The Moomins a couple years ago, too, but hey, what can you do?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Y'know, I've often considered offering my services to SAGCCX in secret, but the fact of the matter is that my "internal translator" is good for getting the gist of things myself, but probably really bad for telling it to other people. It's very on-the-fly and if I actually try to sit down and make sense of what I'm hearing, it just crumbles into gibberish. It's what stopped me from trying to sub the other half of The Moomins a couple years ago, too, but hey, what can you do?

Translation perfectionism is a deep as hell rabbit hole; I think half the reason professional translators often work with nutty deadlines is because that helps bring out the "gently caress it, just go with your first impression" quality, which of course leads to the odd flat-out error but at least does away with staying up all night because you REALLY want this one line to come out perfectly and then next thing you know it's a year later and you're almost half-done translating an hour-long thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

univbee posted:

Translation perfectionism is a deep as hell rabbit hole; I think half the reason professional translators often work with nutty deadlines is because that helps bring out the "gently caress it, just go with your first impression" quality, which of course leads to the odd flat-out error but at least does away with staying up all night because you REALLY want this one line to come out perfectly and then next thing you know it's a year later and you're almost half-done translating an hour-long thing.

This paragraph also nicely encapsulates the inner hell that is being a professional writer, for anyone considering becoming the next great american author

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly, the right kind of wonky translation (that doesn't derail the story or get things flat-out wrong) can be downright fun. Like anything in life, getting too serious about it is more destructive than anything. Just have fun and roll with the punches. We still get a kick out of stuff like "You Spoony Bard," and I don't think this French movie title translation will ever not be a joke for French people (French South Park used this title for the episode with The Dog Whisperer; their translation team passes my test for giving a gently caress).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

univbee posted:

Honestly, the right kind of wonky translation (that doesn't derail the story or get things flat-out wrong) can be downright fun. Like anything in life, getting too serious about it is more destructive than anything. Just have fun and roll with the punches. We still get a kick out of stuff like "You Spoony Bard," and I don't think this French movie title translation will ever not be a joke for French people (French South Park used this title for the episode with The Dog Whisperer; their translation team passes my test for giving a gently caress).

Every re-translation of old goofily translated games is loving awful because they go the super-boring flat literalist way, and it just robs the work of any personality. Chrono Trigger, Symphony of the Night, FF6... all of them are way worse the second time around. The later Ace Attorney games also suffered really badly from the translators not taking any liberties and trying to translate japanese jokes directly.

I guess what I'm saying is, be accessible, have personality, and be creative. It'll always trump being literal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
FF5 is an exception to this because it took the ball and ran with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Novasol posted:

Somehow I doubt there's any room for interpretation with this guy.

It just reeks of glory-hog. Especially his part about having to hurry because the big, bad Zari-Gani might beat him to something.

You know, it does sound like he's trying to do it for fame or something. Especially cause of mentioning SAGCCX fanboys, and sort of implying, 'hey, gently caress you, earthbound is mine, go work on something else'

SAGCCX has fanboys because in under 2 years, they've managed to translate over 80% of the entire show. With consistent results, and few minor mistakes. Anyone else might have subbed mostly popular videogames (in his case, Earthbound, and we would have seen more people focus on Mario/Ocarina of Time and the like)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The terrible lovely unheard of games are always the best episodes anyway :colbert:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

FF5 is an exception to this because it took the ball and ran with it.

I believe the plug got pulled on FF5's original localization after an initial rough translation had been done, but before it had been properly edited into something readable. When they later decided to release it in English on the Playstation, they just used the old translation they still had lying around, most likely without looking too closely at it. So basically, a rough draft was mistaken for, and published as, a finished translation.

That's why it was so bad, and why the retranslation done for the GBA release was so much better. Not because of any ball-taking, but because this time around they actually had people sit down and finish the drat translation before releasing it

Adamant fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 23, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

farfromsleep posted:

The guy's a bit of a dick, but to be entirely fair most people would have been wildly frustrated after what happened there (he translated the first episode of Yoshi's Island only for SAGCCX to release their own version days later, then beat him to part 2 while he was in the middle of translating it himself). That was really awkward and unfortunate all round.

He wanted to translate for SAGCCX last year and was given the Excitebike VC challenge to translate as a test, but:

zari-gani posted:

Long story short: although he was good at natural-sounding dialogue and he's the best candidate we've had so far, unfortunately he made too many significant and/or simple translation errors for a 15-min video. I spent a good chunk of time fixing his script. When we sent him the fixed translations he tried to argue his case for some of the lines, but his explanations ended up confirming to me that he needs work on his Japanese comprehension/grammar before taking on a project as difficult as this.

He attributed his mistakes to being given a game he wasn't interested in, but that shouldn't matter at all. The mistakes he made were purely about language, not factual errors about the game.

I think it's safe to say the guy's a bit butthurt.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Adamant posted:

I believe the plug got pulled on FF5's original localization after an initial rough translation had been done, but before it had been properly edited into something readable. When they later decided to release it in English on the Playstation, they just used the old translation they still had lying around, most likely without looking too closely at it. So basically, a rough draft was mistaken for, and published as, a finished translation.

That's why it was so bad, and why the retranslation done for the GBA release was so much better. Not because of any ball-taking, but because this time around they actually had people sit down and finish the drat translation before releasing it

I think he meant the GBA re-release of 5, which pretty much intentionally made it goofier from what I've heard.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

I think he meant the GBA re-release of 5, which pretty much intentionally made it goofier from what I've heard.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Square were working on an English release of FF5 for the SNES, but the plans got dropped while the translation was still in the "rough and unedited" phase. When they later decided to release the game in English for the PSX, they just took this rough and unedited translation they had lying around from back then, slapped it on the game, and called it a day. The result was not pretty.

When the Final Fantasy games were to be rereleased for the GBA, they got all-new translations to go with them. FF4 and FF6, which already had decent translations, got somewhat criticized for getting a translation that lacked the soul of the old one. FF5, however, got properly translated for the first time ever, and this new translation understandably was far better received than the FF4 and FF6 ones.

What happened wasn't that the new FF5 translation was handled differently than the new FF4 and FF6 ones, but that FF5 got its first good translation ever, while FF4 and FF6 got some not-particularly-necessary retranslations that felt kind of lackluster in comparison to the old SNES ones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for Arino to play an RPG! This time he takes on a sequel to a popular Famicom game. It was praised for its unique setting and its follow up on a portable system was memorable. That's right, it's time for EarthBound!

This episode is brought to you by zari-gani, Smaaaaaaashes everything.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 379.79 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

The pictures at the top are if you want Arino's outfit in Animal Crossing for the 3DS.

Also, after three RPG's back to back I want a nice episode where Arino just describes what's happening on screen for us...

mato
Apr 12, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Every re-translation of old goofily translated games is loving awful because they go the super-boring flat literalist way, and it just robs the work of any personality. Chrono Trigger, Symphony of the Night, FF6... all of them are way worse the second time around. The later Ace Attorney games also suffered really badly from the translators not taking any liberties and trying to translate japanese jokes directly.

I guess what I'm saying is, be accessible, have personality, and be creative. It'll always trump being literal.

I definitely agree with you for the most part, but there are a few rare instances where a retranslation was better than the original. The Breath of Fire II retranslation comes to mind, for example, but the original was such a mess that any retranslation would've been an improvement :cheeky:

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

You are machines. Beautiful, beautiful love machines.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ah, what a lovely thing to wake up to. Thanks again SAGCCX!

Yes I woke up at 11 am, screw you

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

mato posted:

I definitely agree with you for the most part, but there are a few rare instances where a retranslation was better than the original. The Breath of Fire II retranslation comes to mind, for example, but the original was such a mess that any retranslation would've been an improvement :cheeky:

In that case the original translation was the painfully literal one, while the fan retranslation took liberties for the sake of readability and enjoyment, though. It was beautifully done.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait to watch this episode! Thanks for your hard work. I'll seed for a good while until everyone has gotten theirs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Random Stranger, you really need to stop making me want Animal Crossing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A second seeder has just hit the tracker! It's super-effecti...I mean SMAAAAASH.

Also, in about 10 minutes we'll be seeding Earthbound from a third source with a 50 megabit up speed.

Maximum power! :getin:

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 23, 2013

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
Thank you for the new release! I found this in one of the news links on Crunchyroll and the fact that it was one of my favorite episodes of GCCX, I had to share the link. http://www.capcom.co.jp/cacc/topics/04/ Check the second shirt out, I'd love to see Arino wearing that :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I forgot to post this the other day with River King 2. For those of you who do like pandas, the Ueno Park Zoo pandas that were mentioned in the episode have their own webcam:

http://www.ueno-panda-live.jp/

Despite the URL it's not always live.

MikeTheWarrior
May 31, 2006
Butts on the internet
Oh man, Earthbound is one of my most favorite RPGs ever in a whole sea of em, and holy smokes when Arino was duking it out with Frank and the Frankystein Mark III, I was certain he was gonna lose, but he pulled it out with some clutch SMAAAAAASHes :allears:

Thanks for the release guys, you're the best!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Game: What's the coolest thing?
Arino: Unicycles.

Arino. :allears:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

Game: What's the coolest thing?
Arino: Unicycles.

Arino. :allears:

I half expected him to write SEX.

1337_CroniX
Nov 22, 2005
The Warrior Of Ruin
Probably a strange question but, does anybody know any websites that sell the squid jerky snack Arino is always eating & if any ship to Australia. It looks absolutely delicious and I've always wanted to try it however my google-fu has failed me so far. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

victrix posted:

The terrible lovely unheard of games are always the best episodes anyway :colbert:

Layla was awful.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

1337_CroniX posted:

Probably a strange question but, does anybody know any websites that sell the squid jerky snack Arino is always eating & if any ship to Australia. It looks absolutely delicious and I've always wanted to try it however my google-fu has failed me so far. :(
Do you have any "Japantowns" near you? I know they sell a few similar squid snacks in the Japanese grocery stores in the expat community here in metro Detroit. It might be worth checking there first.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

A second seeder has just hit the tracker! It's super-effecti...I mean SMAAAAASH.

Also, in about 10 minutes we'll be seeding Earthbound from a third source with a 50 megabit up speed.

Maximum power! :getin:

I actually have a 200Mbps seedbox that I leave SAGCCX torrents on, it's sort of crazy how popular they are. Here is a quick look at the ratios of the top ten:

Some of those ones aren't even old releases either. That second to top one is the Fire Emblem release!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1337_CroniX posted:

With Australia's environmental protection laws I'd be incredibly surprised if there was a way for you to get them short of going to Japan yourself and eating them there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I couldn't send some lotus tea to someone in Aus, I highly doubt you'll be able to import seafood.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Layla was awful.

And Saint Seiya is probably my least favorite of all the remaining episodes and not just because it's another RPG.

But Space Hunter is an awesome episode that's on the same level as Paris-Dakar Rally for leaving Arino completely bewildered.

Actually, of the remaining untranslated episodes I'd say that the only truly crappy games left are Saint Seiya, Space Hunter, and Ikki. Spelunker has a reputation but don't think it's half bad as a platformer that pre-dates Mario by about three years. Similarly, Bio Soldier Dan is weird but not something I'd consider truly terrible. Kung Fu Heroes pushes the borderline but I think it's got a bit too much of old arcade design in it...

Pulled Pork
Jun 11, 2011
Awesome job on Mother 2, guys - it was everything I hoped it'd be. Makes me wanna play Earthbound again!

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Spelunker has a reputation but don't think it's half bad as a platformer that pre-dates Mario by about three years.

The NES port of the game is pretty sloppy. Most of the "reputation" Spelunker has comes from people who think that's the only version of the game that exists.

The fact that it's a bad port of a much better game makes "It predates Mario by 3 years" a pretty poor defense, though. The NES game could, and should, have been better, and WAS indeed better on the other platforms it appeared on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Adamant posted:

The NES port of the game is pretty sloppy. Most of the "reputation" Spelunker has comes from people who think that's the only version of the game that exists.

The fact that it's a bad port of a much better game makes "It predates Mario by 3 years" a pretty poor defense, though. The NES game could, and should, have been better, and WAS indeed better on the other platforms it appeared on.

I don't know. The complaints I hear aren't about the quality of the port but are instead fundamental design things from people who don't really get the state of platforming games in 1982.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Too Orange posted:

I went ahead and just downloaded all 47 files (which were apparently .mp4 and not .flv) and just joined them all together and it seems to be fine. I uploaded it to Depositfiles for anyone who wants it. The quality isn't amazing but considering the source it's not too bad.

Download Link : http://depositfiles.com/files/dn0knb6k2

Thank you very much for doing this. I really appreciate it :) I skimmed through the special and it's amusing to watch Arino put together tables and chairs during a vicious hailstorm and him and Hamaguchi attempting to sleep in old oil drums. Kamen Rider 1... I mean, Segata Sanshiro, showed off his cooking skills by masterfully filleting the fish Hamaguchi caught and making shabu-shabu for the duo to enjoy.

And this just in...
Japanese tourist killed in Cambodian roller coaster derailment :stare:

ETA: And this just in!

@arimorokoshi415: アメリカンのフェイスブックのいいねボタンが2000を超えました。有り難う御座いました。コメントをおくらしてもらいました。英訳されるのをお待ちを。
"The American Facebook has received over 2000 Likes. Thank you very much. I sent a comment. Please wait for the English translation."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 24, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You wanna see the bad attitude of the other translation team?

http://lazarusrs.tumblr.com/

I'm pretty sure it's the personal tumblr of the Last Continue guy considering that he mentions mato in a personal context.

Super classy, dude (not you mato you didn't do anything).

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

quote:

Two things wrong here. The first one is that “his father’s deposit” sounds incredibly awkward. It doesn’t sound like natural English at all.

The second one is the more important one. We don’t call those “Cash Dispensers” in English. That’s the Japanese term for an “ATM Machine”. Even Tomato (the guy who wrote the giant article on Earthbound vs Mother2 localization/translations) said that calling them ATM Machines was a GOOD localization decision.

Why would someone okay this as a good translation? >_<

Okay, now this guy is making me irrationally angry.

e: This guy seriously doesn't know what he's talking about.

quote:

Screenshots taken from the SAGCCX translation of the EarthBound episode.

I think they’re missing something in that second screenshot. Y’know, like some subtitles, maybe?

When the text on the screen is literally the exact same thing as the person just said, there is no point to an overlay. It is not pertinent information for the viewer.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I dunno, man, I feel like the best thing to do with folks like that is to just ignore them. Also ATM Machine is funny because it's redundant.