Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

a life less posted:

Wanna see a cool mutt?

This is Mosaic. She's probably about 25 pounds. She kind of looks like a spaniel at first glance, but she has a long body, short stubby legs and merle patches. She's a shelter adoptee, and no one can really figure out what the heck she is. She's a killer high jumper - she can probably clear a good 5 feet straight up.

She looks so similar to our mutt lady.. she was that trim when she was younger but lets say she has filled out in the last five years. Still as energetic as the day we got her and jumps like a dolphin trying to reach her food bowl when it is feeding time.

This was shortly after we got her. I forgot what hurricane it was but we were out in the backyard and she was enjoying the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Silly Hippie posted:

She looks like my boyfriend's dog's clone.

Who is definitely a border collie/black lab mix.

eta: GIS "black lab collie mix" and you'll get tons of dogs that are drat near identical. And all cute. :3:
Awesome :) Her most likely being a border collie mix cements my love for herding breeds even more. I love how well she listens to me. I definitely see a herding breed/mix in my future!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

demonR6 posted:

She looks so similar to our mutt lady.. she was that trim when she was younger but lets say she has filled out in the last five years. Still as energetic as the day we got her and jumps like a dolphin trying to reach her food bowl when it is feeding time.

This was shortly after we got her. I forgot what hurricane it was but we were out in the backyard and she was enjoying the weather.

Yours looks Tollerish, and since Tollers were originally an amalgam of retriever-collie-spaniel origins those are probably the sorts of dogs in your dog's mix.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Topoisomerase posted:

Yours looks Tollerish, and since Tollers were originally an amalgam of retriever-collie-spaniel origins those are probably the sorts of dogs in your dog's mix.

On the money, thanks! I looked the breed up on Google and compared images to what we have of her when she was younger, before her coat was irreparably damaged by a terrible trip to the groomer. My wife and I both see the resemblance in the overall look and the coat sealed the deal. She obviously has something else mixed but this is really, really close.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This is my mix, Boswell.

The only thing I know for sure is that he's an Akita Mix. I'm thinking he's mixed with a German Shepard, but I'm not quite sure. I adopted him from a shelter almost 3 years ago now.

Also every-time there's an open car door he just jumps in waiting for a ride. It's super cute, but kind of annoying when I want to get whatever I bought out of the car.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Zain posted:

This is my mix, Boswell.

The only thing I know for sure is that he's an Akita Mix. I'm thinking he's mixed with a German Shepard, but I'm not quite sure. I adopted him from a shelter almost 3 years ago now.

Also every-time there's an open car door he just jumps in waiting for a ride. It's super cute, but kind of annoying when I want to get whatever I bought out of the car.

I would guess husky instead of GSD. His muzzle seems kind of Siberian, more than Akita or GSD to me. But I don't really have a clue, his legs are brindle??

He's super cute :3: I grew up with an Akita so they will always be my favourite.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Here is my Cockapoodle Sophie. She eats snow.

and I don't know if this going to sound weird, but I've had this miniature schnauzer for a few years or so now
got him from a lady who had a few dogs and had to give them away. I've googled around for pictures of minature schnauzers and I couldn't really find a match. This is him with his full coat - he doesn't have the scruffy grand-pappy mustaches that they normally have. I've looked around a few times to see if he was actually a mix but I haven't really found anything. Anybody have any ideas if hes a mix, and if he is a mix of what?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I can see pure (if poorly bred) schnauzer. A lot of the schnau look is grooming and if you told a groomer to make him look like a classic schnauzer I don't think anyone would question what breed he was.

If you are $75 worth of curious, wisdom panel has a purebred test that's supposed to tell you if a dog is purebred or not.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I can see pure (if poorly bred) schnauzer. A lot of the schnau look is grooming and if you told a groomer to make him look like a classic schnauzer I don't think anyone would question what breed he was.

If you are $75 worth of curious, wisdom panel has a purebred test that's supposed to tell you if a dog is purebred or not.

Had a feeling that might have been it. Kind of weird though that I haven't found a single picture of another Schnauzer that hasn't had the grandpa treatment. If I may ask though, what poorly bred things are you referring too? You mean that snaggle tooth he has? The lady said that he always smiled, he can't physically close his mouth. She also said he was around four, he does not look four at all. Still poorly bred or not, he's one of the friendliest dogs I've ever owned.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

scarycave posted:

Had a feeling that might have been it. Kind of weird though that I haven't found a single picture of another Schnauzer that hasn't had the grandpa treatment. If I may ask though, what poorly bred things are you referring too? You mean that snaggle tooth he has? The lady said that he always smiled, he can't physically close his mouth. She also said he was around four, he does not look four at all. Still poorly bred or not, he's one of the friendliest dogs I've ever owned.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything offensive by it :shobon: My own dog is from random rednecks who didn't bother getting their dog fixed or keeping it fenced in.

I just meant he probably didn't come from a breeder that shows or does health testing so he might not look exactly like one you would see at a dog show or in a dog breed picture book. I'm sure he's an awesome dog though!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I would guess husky instead of GSD. His muzzle seems kind of Siberian, more than Akita or GSD to me. But I don't really have a clue, his legs are brindle??

He's super cute :3: I grew up with an Akita so they will always be my favourite.

I agree on the muzzle (from that angle, anyway), but those ears look pretty GSD to me. Who knows, he's purebred handsome. :3:

edit: vvv you are not

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 27, 2013

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

scarycave posted:

Here is my Cockapoodle Sophie. She eats snow.

If she's been out in the yard a while, you might find some Cockapoodle doo.

I'm so sorry.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything offensive by it :shobon: My own dog is from random rednecks who didn't bother getting their dog fixed or keeping it fenced in.

I just meant he probably didn't come from a breeder that shows or does health testing so he might not look exactly like one you would see at a dog show or in a dog breed picture book. I'm sure he's an awesome dog though!

It's okay, I didn't really think you meant anything about it. I don't really know much about breeding so I'm not sure how different a breed can look if its not bred right. The first thing my Schnauzer did when we got him was mark the Christmas tree - fortunately he got it the first time he got yelled at and hasn't done that since. The only thing not so great he does now is going on strike during walks.

BasicFunk posted:

If she's been out in the yard a while, you might find some Cockapoodle doo.

I'm so sorry.

I'm half asleep right now so I had to read that twice. I Laughed. Is it bad to laugh at a pun?

I'd rather find poo and puns then the rabbits she catches. She decided to throw up a horrible black blob on the couch, when I went to pick up the couch cover off, maggots started pouring out and it had bones - and she had perfect timing, I was eating and everything.
Another night, I was bringing the trash out, she runs up and she's carrying what I thought was her rabbit toy - until it she went in the porch light and I saw "pink", she happily strutted up to the deck and I got a closer look...she had half a bunny torso, and she was trying to get it inside. I guess if people kept calling you a cockapoo you would snap too.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Skizzles posted:

I agree on the muzzle (from that angle, anyway), but those ears look pretty GSD to me. Who knows, he's purebred handsome. :3:

Yeah that's what makes him a bit of a mystery. The reason I don't say husky is just because of his leanness. I'd think he'd be a bit more fluffier or even broader if he was mixed with a husky. Though I'm not sure.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Siberians are pretty lean and their coat is like an Akita. Although your guy does look much lankier than the Sibes I have seen. Maybe you are thinking of Malamutes, which are huge, like really huge, muscular, and dense furred/fluffy.

Ok, my official guess: Akita x GSD/husky mix :)

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
I've had my Mia for almost a year now, and whenever anyone asks me what my dog is I just kind of go "uhhhh....terrier mix?" That's what the shelter said, anyway.:j:

That's about as long as her hair's gonna get, I think. Someone said possibly a border terrier mix, but some have said JRT too. she does tend to bay when she gets pretty excited, but otherwise she acts like a terrier. Any Ideas, PI?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Nevileen posted:

Any Ideas, PI?

Some sort of terrier for sure. She looks a lot like a norwich/JRT mix I knew. (I believe the mix was known for sure) But something in the last pic gives me a shih-tzu or lhasa vibe. Whatever mix she is, get her into the yappy rat thread ASAP. :3:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Maybe borderjack?

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
My parents' dog. Some sort of 'doodle, but I swear sometimes she looks like a purebred poodle even though we were told it's not the case. Some guesses have been greyhound and vizsla. She points.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 1, 2013

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

She seriously looks like a shaved down standard poodle to me. How do they know she isn't a pure poodle?

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
The shelter they got her from said so. She certainly may be a poodle. :iiam:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

AvianPundit posted:

The shelter they got her from said so. She certainly may be a poodle. :iiam:

Shelters are notoriously bad at assigning breeds to mixes. Additionally, they will often put a dog down as a mix to avoid liability at labeling an unregistered dog as a purebred.

IE people storming in to return a dog because some rear end in a top hat at the park said it couldn't possibly be a puuurreeebred Golden Retriever or whatever.

Definitely just looks like a Poodle- which are generally built like bird dogs under the hair.....because they are bird dogs :)

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

TVs Ian posted:

Shelters are notoriously bad at assigning breeds to mixes. Additionally, they will often put a dog down as a mix to avoid liability at labeling an unregistered dog as a purebred.

IE people storming in to return a dog because some rear end in a top hat at the park said it couldn't possibly be a puuurreeebred Golden Retriever or whatever.

Definitely just looks like a Poodle- which are generally built like bird dogs under the hair.....because they are bird dogs :)

Huh! We assumed it would have been the other way around, like the shelter would jump at the chance to label a dog as a purebreed thinking it would get adopted more quickly for that reason. They were looking for a poodle mix because my mother's terribly allergic to dander, but thought straight-up poodles to be high strung, overly exuberant, and skittish.

Not that if she's a purebred poodle or a mutt matters a drat. She's an awesome old lady. Going on 14 this year. Super chill and wants to lick everyone to death. She is a jumper though, which poodles are notorious for but at this point it's probably due to improper training by whoever had her before. At her ancient age, it's whatever (they've been trying to curb it for years) but she jumps on people when they stop to say hello to her during walks and we wish she wouldn't, lol.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 1, 2013

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

AvianPundit posted:

Huh! We assumed it would have been the other way around, like the shelter would jump at the chance to label a dog as a purebreed thinking it would get adopted more quickly for that reason.

Some shelters are bad for this. In fact I've recently seen what I'm pretty sure was a Chow mix as a "Finnish Lapphund" in a local shelter. :shepface: And so on.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Skizzles posted:

Some shelters are bad for this. In fact I've recently seen what I'm pretty sure was a Chow mix as a "Finnish Lapphund" in a local shelter. :shepface: And so on.

Red pibble = PHAROAH HOUND MIX!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Better than my hound, who freaks out when he thinks I'm taking him for a ride... And also thinks I own every car on the planet.

"Are we going for a ride in this car? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one? Awww maaan... This one?"

Parking lots... :suicide:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 1, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Our mutt last night decided to eat half of a box of Kleenex tissues.. my wife left the box on the coffee table and went to the kitchen to wash dishes after lunch. She looks over at Lady who is in her dog bed furiously munching on something. Knowing our dog enough to know she is up to no good, my wife calls out to her, "Lady what the hell are you eating?" Lady continues to work feverishly without regard for my wife so she walks over to find the dog trying to eat as much as she can as quickly as possible before mother comes over and ruins the party.

This morning's trip outside to potty was not what you would call a pleasant one..

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

demonR6 posted:

Our mutt last night decided to eat half of a box of Kleenex tissues.. my wife left the box on the coffee table and went to the kitchen to wash dishes after lunch. She looks over at Lady who is in her dog bed furiously munching on something. Knowing our dog enough to know she is up to no good, my wife calls out to her, "Lady what the hell are you eating?" Lady continues to work feverishly without regard for my wife so she walks over to find the dog trying to eat as much as she can as quickly as possible before mother comes over and ruins the party.

This morning's trip outside to potty was not what you would call a pleasant one..

At least you don't have to worry about wiping. :downsrim:

FrankenGooB
Apr 2, 2013
Here is a few pictures of my mutts.

This is Olaf. His mother was 100% Husky and daddy was a pit bull, border collie, and husky mix.

He was the only male of the litter and all of his sister's ears have "popped up" but Olaf's have stayed floppy. The Vet says the black dots on his nose are a sign of border collie.

Then here is Chester. Olaf's Mentor

The Vet thinks He is a rottweiler, collie, labrador mix. That is going off of his colors, tail, and webbed feet.

I have Olaf Walking 1.5 to 3 miles per day just to keep some of his energy down and he is heeling well but i think he is taking cues from the older dog.

FrankenGooB fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 4, 2013

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
My mom adopted a little dog three weeks ago. This is Cooper:

The shelter said chihuahua mix. He's about a year old, 14 pounds, incredibly energetic (he's walked at least 2 miles every morning, and usually another 2-3 every evening), turns into a whirlwind of furniture-destroying terror if he doesn't get his walk, seems to be very alert and clever but stubborn (it took him the better part of a week to learn "sit.") He's not very food motivated, seems to love meeting all new people except women with short blonde hair, and gets the cutest zoomies when he's on carpeted floors. He was already housebroken and seems to either have been taught to fetch or just gets the concept instinctively-- he'll run and grab anything you throw and bring it back to drop into your lap, but didn't know any other commands.

He's all black and white except for that one little brown eyebrow.

Any idea what he might be mixed with?

He's got a really long body, and gets all squirmy and bendy in your arms when you pick him up. He reminds me of a ferret.

He has this cute little bouncy walk, and sometimes his hind legs don't go in the same direction the rest of him is going in.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Jack Russell/chihuahua.

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
Jack/Chi for reals. Go to the Yappy Rat thread and post a thousand pictures!

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Need help identifying the mix in the rescue we just adopted.

He's obviously got Black and Tan in him from what I can tell but his color scheme is baffling me and I have been unable to find a pure bred picture of it, the only white on him is on his feet and his muzzle has a bit of white in it. It actually looks like it's greying but doesn't really make sense since he is apparently only five, although he looks much younger than that. His physiology indicates he is most likely a Black and Tan Fox hound mixed with something else, a retriever maybe. Thought somebody in PI might be better apt at helping me identify.

theSpokeyDokey fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 8, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

He's just a generic black and tan coloured hound mix imo. Maybe lab/hound.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Fraction posted:

He's just a generic black and tan coloured hound mix imo. Maybe lab/hound.

That is what I suspected, thank you.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

protobyss posted:

Need help identifying the mix in the rescue we just adopted.

He's obviously got Black and Tan in him from what I can tell but his color scheme is baffling me and I have been unable to find a pure bred picture of it, the only white on him is on his feet and his muzzle has a bit of white in it. It actually looks like it's greying but doesn't really make sense since he is apparently only five, although he looks much younger than that.

FWIW dogs don't always go grey because of old age, sometimes it's almost like a part of their colouring. A friend's staffy was grey on the muzzle by 2 years old, and another friend's kelpie started greying around the face at 6 months.

He's a cutie BTW, I like his bandanna. :3:

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

FWIW dogs don't always go grey because of old age, sometimes it's almost like a part of their colouring. A friend's staffy was grey on the muzzle by 2 years old, and another friend's kelpie started greying around the face at 6 months.

He's a cutie BTW, I like his bandanna. :3:

Came with him when we adopted him, but they squirted him up with Frontline on the neck when we took him out for a walk. It smelled wretched at the end of the day and we left it in my wife's SUV and it ended up making her SUV smell like crotchrot/dead fish. It has since then been washed thoroughly.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

Any guesses on the foster dog? The rescue listed as "German Shephard Mix" and our groomer, who has 3 purebred GSDs, took a look at her and said "Rottweiler". Her toes aren't webbed and at about 10-12 weeks, she is five pounds.

Her littermate looked more like a lab/staff/something mix. She's the one with the weary expression, was all black with a little white on chest.

I have no idea because she is just so tiny.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Some sort of small terrier mix? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My family has had our dog for about 13 years now, and no one can exactly remember what kind of breed he is. We think he might be golden/collie, but we're not exactly sure. Anyone here want to take a shot?