Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lesson learned: Always, always, always bring a backup trap on a capture quest. :negative: (And you'd think I'd have learned that after MHFU, MH3, and MHP3.)

edit: And here's my pitch for the Duramboros light bowgun: This thing owns. Get some Pellet or Normal Shot Up skill and Normal/Pellet3 everything to death. :zaeed:

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Just starting this out, so after you leave the village area and start going on quests in the big port town, is there any point coming back?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Stormgale posted:

Just starting this out, so after you leave the village area and start going on quests in the big port town, is there any point coming back?

You unlock a lot of useful things by completing the village quests.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Hunting Horns are so beautiful and majestic and I will use them forever.

Also someone send help I can't stop Hunting.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just caught 2 goldenfish...

With ONE lure :stare:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

First Monster Hunter since Freedom Unite for me. Might take a while to get back into things. Well, I played Tri for a bit but it never really grabbed me like FU did. Think I'll wait for the circle pad pro thingy to arrive before I really get into this though. I do not want to go back to the loving claw.

But poo poo, I thought you'd be able to check your Charm Table early on. Three or so hours in is rough. But it's fine as long as I don't have one of the cursed ones, right?
fake edit: oh sod it, I'm just going to try that manipulation trick.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wish I could record my 3DS, had a great GIF opportunity. After capping Barroth for the 1,000,000,000,000th time to try and get some mud, I did a cheer gesture which causes Cha-Cha to join in the cheering. A Rhen-triceratops came right up to me and started roaring over and over, not attacking. So while I waited for the timer to expire the three of us were just standing there in a circle cheering. And I got my mud!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Gah apparently the game shops in my city do not stock circle pad pros. Gonna have to wait another week to hunt some monsters i guess cause it snowed here and that means the postal service is gonna be extremely lovely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know the requirement for routing Ceadeus the first time? I was fighting him using the strongest low rank bagpipe and thought I was doing well, having made him flinch several times. But then he got to the end of the second area, and rather then continuing to the area where he actually fights you instead of just swimming away, I got a "you failed to route the elder dragon" MISSION FAILED message.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know the requirement for routing Ceadeus the first time? I was fighting him using the strongest low rank bagpipe and thought I was doing well, having made him flinch several times. But then he got to the end of the second area, and rather then continuing to the area where he actually fights you instead of just swimming away, I got a "you failed to route the elder dragon" MISSION FAILED message.

Did you break any of his parts? It's not made very clear, but you have to break his beard in order to sorta piss him off and make him dash to area 3, the arena. Otherwise, I guess it's just kinda like he doesn't consider you a threat and just keeps on moseying. Even though you flinched him several times.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

liquidypoo posted:

Did you break any of his parts? It's not made very clear, but you have to break his beard in order to sorta piss him off and make him dash to area 3, the arena. Otherwise, I guess it's just kinda like he doesn't consider you a threat and just keeps on moseying. Even though you flinched him several times.

I did not realize that. I flinched him by hitting him there a few times but it didn't break, and I assumed it was either because I was using a blunt weapon or that it couldn't be broken til area 3. IIRC his horn was like that in Tri. Thanks!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I cannot for the life of me break Qurupeco's beak. Does a hammer just not have the reach for it?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I cannot for the life of me break Qurupeco's beak. Does a hammer just not have the reach for it?

The golf swing can just barely catch it, but it takes some practice.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Pomp posted:

The golf swing can just barely catch it, but it takes some practice.

You can hit it with anything, if your timing is good. I usually end up superpounding his face off, because it makes me happy.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I have broken it every time with a hammer. You just need to focus on it. You do have the reach, as long as he is not singing or flying (you can reach it sometimes when he is flying). If you spend a lot of time hitting other areas, he may die before breaking the beak.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking of just finding a party to help me kill it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking of just finding a party to help me kill it.

I did it last night when I did the capture trickster quest. Just really do that full charge not move slam, especially when he lowers his head. Also if you knock him to the ground and he winds up dizzy fuckin' wail on it with x button presses. Cracked after a single volley. It's what the bastard gets for flying from my traps.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 23, 2013

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So are bug areas random? I've been running the sandy plains harvest quest a few times, but I've never gotten the Area 1 bug catching point to show up like it had in other quests.

I just want carpenter bugs dammit! Maybe the Packrat lady in the multiplayer port sells them occasionally?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

I did it last night when I did the capture trickster quest. Just really do that full charge not move slam, especially when he lowers his head. Also if you knock him to the ground and he winds up dizzy fuckin' wail on it with x button presses. Cracked after a single volley. It's what the bastard gets for flying from my traps.

That sounds like a lot of muscle memory training compared to going online. :effort:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Today I made a cello out of bugs. I then beat a venom-spitting dinosaur to death with that bugcello and made a bitchin' rear end cowboy hat out of him. I love this game because I can say poo poo like that.

Say, what's a good upgrade tree to go down for the Hunting Horn? I currently have the first Qurupeco trumpet, the Bone Horn+ and the Bug Cello. Where else can I take these?

EDIT: Give the SwitchAxe a try if you're having trouble with the Qurupeco. It's + attack on the WiiU is a straight-shot directly up with INCREDIBLY high vertical reach. It makes it pretty easy to not only hit his beak bot to get a solid hit on him while he's flying, potentially knocking him out of the sky. As well, when you go to Sword Mode you don't have to worry about flinching so you can just wail on him.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 23, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Lizard Wizard posted:

That sounds like a lot of muscle memory training compared to going online. :effort:

You could probably hit it with the level two charge upswing.

When I was crafting my peco set I had killing him with my horn down to a science, break one flint, break head, break other flint, kill. It was beautiful. I love the horn because it has to many high vertical attacks, doesn't matter with tall monsters you can just wail on them with forward x then standing x+a forever.

edit:

i am tim! posted:

Today I made a cello out of bugs. I then beat a venom-spitting dinosaur to death with that bugcello and made a bitchin' rear end cowboy hat out of him. I love this game because I can say poo poo like that.

Say, what's a good upgrade tree to go down for the Hunting Horn? I currently have the first Qurupeco trumpet, the Bone Horn+ and the Bug Cello. Where else can I take these?

You can go down the Arzuros path for a good early game horn but it doesn't have any green sharpness so I dropped it quick, it does open up barioth and urugaan paths though, which are rad. I really like the Hunter's Horn because of the negate stamina, and the Heavy bagpipe is good for its songs, both attack+ and defence+. Qurupeco can upgrade into nibblesnarf, a giant harmonica, but I don't like that line's songs.

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 23, 2013

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Fancy Hat! posted:

So are bug areas random? I've been running the sandy plains harvest quest a few times, but I've never gotten the Area 1 bug catching point to show up like it had in other quests.

I just want carpenter bugs dammit! Maybe the Packrat lady in the multiplayer port sells them occasionally?
I'm not 100% sure how to read the Bradygames guide, but the spot in Sandy Plains 1 with Carpenterbug says 60% chance of spawning a 3-5 gather spot that does NOT drop them and most commonly gives bitterbug and godbug. The other 40% of the time, you will get the Carpenterbug spot, which has 4-7 gathers and has Thunderbug at 41% and Carpenterbug at 32%.

What I'm not sure about is if that 60/40 split means "you're guaranteed to get 1 insect spot in Area 1, with that breakdown" or if that means they're spawned independently at those rates and you can get both or neither.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Hit qurepeco in the face with the hammer till he gets stunned then golf swing his beak.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hit qurepeco in the face with the hammer

I know where the beak is, it's just a matter of reaching his goddamn face to begin with. Maybe it's time to try different weapons.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 23, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know where the beak is, it's just a matter of reaching his goddamn face to begin with.

A lot of this game is learning to read enemies and when to attack them in certain ways to hit specific parts. For instance, to hit Barroth in the head with a hammer, I charge up and stand behind him. When I see him start to turn around, I unleash my superpound and hit him in the face and dodge away before he can retaliate. If you fight Quru enough, you will learn his patterns and when to unleash a specific attack to hit him in the head.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Crimson Qurupeco is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Fancy Hat! posted:

Just trot out to the Moga Woods area 4 cave where that little cat hideout is. I usually get at least 2 there every time.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know where the beak is, it's just a matter of reaching his goddamn face to begin with. Maybe it's time to try different weapons.

I break his head every time with the gunlance. Just go do the Streaking with Bullfangos DLC quest a couple of times, make the ridiculously overpowered gunlance with the materials you gain form that quest, and then blow up Peco's face with a level 3 shot to the head. If you're still having trouble then get him in a pitfall trap and do a three hit combo into a Wyvern Fire on his face.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I now have a top hat and tailed coat made out of butterflies, and I'm so happy. The meet in London was a lot of fun, it was my first time trying the multiplayer mode. Is it possible to do multiplayer with randomers over the internet? It seems to be local and registered addresses only.

Quropecos is a huge rear end in a top hat. He was an easy takedown in a group, but when trying the solo quest I died twice and had to chase him around the map like a loving Benny Hill sketch. On the upside, this bright green flared trousers are absolutely fabulous.

Sgt. Goku
Sep 29, 2007

"Thank you!"
I'm a total Monster Hunter novice but I needed an excuse to buy a Wii U and really liked Dark Souls so here I am.

I'm having a lot of fun so far (up to the four star quests offline!) but I have to admit, I am totally clueless for what I'm supposed to be doing online. I've tried joining a few rooms but I can never find anyone in the marina/tavern, even when it says there are 3 other people in the room. Is there some kind of way I can join them when they're in the middle of a quest, which is what I assume was going on?

Also, when I make my own rooms, does sounding that gong make it so it starts looking for other people to join, or is it just supposed to be some kind of "HEY EVERYONE GET OVER HERE" signal for when you already have a full room? :confused:

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just barely know what I'm doing in this game already and I'd really like to stab some giant evil pufferfish online with other peeps!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Six Of Spades posted:

I now have a top hat and tailed coat made out of butterflies, and I'm so happy. The meet in London was a lot of fun, it was my first time trying the multiplayer mode. Is it possible to do multiplayer with randomers over the internet? It seems to be local and registered addresses only.

Quropecos is a huge rear end in a top hat. He was an easy takedown in a group, but when trying the solo quest I died twice and had to chase him around the map like a loving Benny Hill sketch. On the upside, this bright green flared trousers are absolutely fabulous.

Online requires a Wii-U

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does time pass when you go on hunts, or only quests? Does single player ever get more than the one hunting ground? Does multi have one at all?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

So this fishlady charm table calculating webpage kinda works.

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html

I had 5 tabs open and kept retrying until I got through. Probably took about 50 tries.
Tip: Fill in the form once and duplicate the tab (this works in Chrome, not sure about the other browsers)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ciaphas posted:

Does time pass when you go on hunts, or only quests? Does single player ever get more than the one hunting ground? Does multi have one at all?

You have to be out at least two minutes for a day to pass on by. You can take "Paw Pass Tours" to freely access the other hunting grounds. Handy if you wanna gather resources with a more generous time limit and less "there's a monster breathing down my neck" constraints.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well like every other game fishing is the most boring thing in the universe. How am I supposed to catch three golden fish with only one golden fish bait? :mad:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Ciaphas posted:

Well like every other game fishing is the most boring thing in the universe. How am I supposed to catch three golden fish with only one golden fish bait? :mad:

You can make goldenfish bait, it's Mega Fishing Fly + Snakebee Larva. Otherwise, it's incredibly annoying to catch one without.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I ended up just hopping in the water to scare away the fish to reroll the fishing spot until some showed up. It took forever. Fishing is terrible times.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Monster hunter is like 80% learning the movement patterns of each monster and where and when you can hit them with what weapon. The other 20% is not getting too greedy and getting hit because of it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Eruonen posted:

So this fishlady charm table calculating webpage kinda works.

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html

I had 5 tabs open and kept retrying until I got through. Probably took about 50 tries.
Tip: Fill in the form once and duplicate the tab (this works in Chrome, not sure about the other browsers)

This worked for a friend of mine. He can finally get started now. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

"Hooray! Just hit high rank! Let's see, where's a good place to start... Oh! Queropeco is easy! Hm, what to use... Ah, I haven't used gunlances before, and I have a decent Ice-element one! Good a time as any to learn how this works."

OH gently caress DEVILJHO OH WHAT I HAVE TO KILL MORE THAN ONE PECO AAAA

(i won anyways :flame:)

• Locked thread