Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

KoldPT posted:

Do you Sporting guys think Scolari is a good choice? Personally, from the names that are being thrown around, I'd prefer van Marwijk or Co Adriaanse.

No, but there's not much we can afford tbh. Wish Bielsa had already been sacked (as it seems inevitable nowadays), at least he would change things up, but right now one of the Dutch managers seems to be the best choice. Scolari has been a flop in every club he's coached and he's more of a motivation type manager and we already had one of those in Sá Pinto, now we need someone who can actually get the guys playing football, they literally have no idea what to do with a ball other than passing it sideways and to the wings. Honestly I have no idea what happened, we were looking pretty good at the end of the last season (other than the Cup final) with a Elias/Schaars/Matias midfield and suddenly the same manager decides to field Elias/Gelson Fernandes/Adrien this year, makes no sense whatsoever.

Jackson is really good, but James Rodriguez is finally exploding now that Hulk is gone and though it had already been predicted a couple of seasons ago he's looking to be world class in a few years.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
If Bielsa became Sporting manager, I'd have to start watching your games.

And yeah, James is definitely the biggest prospect in the league and he's certainly going to be playing for United/Real/whatever next year.

e: There was an interesting article in last Saturday's Revista, the Expresso magazine. Futre showing the journalist around the south margin in his usual Futreness - reading it made me hear everything there in his voice. He happens to meet Adrien during it, which is a pretty neat coincidence. I recommend picking the mag up if you can still find it.

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 10, 2012

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Sporting currently in meltdown , not been an easy couple of months.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Speaking of Sporting, http://www.nr10.be/cups/el/item/franky-vercauteren-nieuwe-coach-van-sporting-lissabon-debuut-in-genk

(Translation: Franky Vercauteren, former Anderlecht and Genk manager, is heading to Lisbon.)

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG
Hurray, Sporting finally ended their 8 match draw and loss streak! (3 draws, 5 losses, 4 of those consecutive) Against Braga too, losing against them probably would've lowered team morale even more.

Benfica beat Rio Ave 0-1 and Porto won 2-1 against Académica. Moutinho scored a goal!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Finally a win, loving Christ. Against Braga too, feels good man. Just 7 points and we'll catch up to them! Should have been a draw though, I was tearing my hair off at all the one on one misses from our players in the 1st half but Braga dominated the 2nd.

Crayfish
May 7, 2009
Anybody watching Benfica vs Porto? 2-2 at 16 mins, goalkeepers playing like poo poo.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

What the gently caress happened with Sporting anyway? It had to be real bad if Vercauteren couldn't fix it at least a bit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That Classico started off very entertaining and then just became blander and blander. Porto should be happy with that, their attack is totally castrated without James and the goals were weird flukes. Great games by Matic and Alex Sandro.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

belgend posted:

What the gently caress happened with Sporting anyway? It had to be real bad if Vercauteren couldn't fix it at least a bit.

It's a longer story than what you're probably looking for since it's been piling up for the last few years so I'll quickly sum it up: Complete bankruptcy due to mismanagement over the last 10 years + a president who was elected even though he had less votes than his younger opponent (because some archaic law in Sporting says votes from older fans are worth more than votes from younger fans), so he's never had the complete support from the fans + said president says he's learning about the job as he goes, has €100 million in losses in his first year in charge and has had 5 different managers in less than two years in an attempt to continuously shift the blame of Sporting's failures from himself to the coaches + players who we know are fine players as they managed to eliminate Man City from the EL last year and reach the semis are now completely bereft of confidence and can't string 3 passes in a row + the people who have had any sort of power in the club over the last 5 years are trying to hold on to those privileges in any way they can including constantly undermining each other publicly with no interest in how this affects the club's image.

It's the older fans fault really, as the last president had already done an horrible job but for some reason they decided to side with a man who represented and defended the continuity of the last administration's methods and who was supported by the people already in the club who wanted to hold on to whatever power they might still have. Luckily things are looking up and it seems we're getting elections soon, and the man who was robbed (seriously, everything points to there having been fraud in the last elections) will rightfully get the job.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting's manager finally did what many fans had hoped he would do for a while and benched most of our very well-paid but incredibly unmotivated starting 11 and used a team mostly consisting of our U-21 players (average age of the starting 11 was 21) against Gil Vicente, and we actually won 2-3. Hopefully this lights a fire under the collective rear end of our poo poo squad, all the fans wanted was to see some non-mercenaries using the Sporting shirt, that we won was just a bonus.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Thanks for those posts, very informative.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
What do Sporting fans think of Ronaldo currently, is he held in high regard?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Cart Cam posted:

What do Sporting fans think of Ronaldo currently, is he held in high regard?

Yeah, he hasn't done anything to stain his reputation over here (unlike Figo or Moutinho), he didn't celebrate when he scored against us the last time he played us and he's adamant in interviews that he's forever a Sporting fan and would like to end his career here. The Portuguese are pretty much all in agreement that he's the best player to ever come out of our country. The only regret is that we sold him for only 15m, if we had let him play for another 2 or 3 years we would have got an insane amount, although it kinda evened out when we sold Nani, who was already incredibly inconsistent in Sporting.

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

Oui Milou, c'est quelque chose d'horrible.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The Portuguese are pretty much all in agreement that he's the best player to ever come out of our country.

We're really not.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Seduced Milkman posted:

We're really not.

Eusebio? Ronald is at least better than Figo.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

tbp posted:

well, eusebio grew up in portugal's glorious colonial empire, so maybe that's how he's saying something that seems so outlandishly wrong otherwise.

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

tbp posted:

Yea, Eusebio. Imperialism aside, he's still considered the best ever by mostly everyone who's over 20 years old.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Eusebio is still considered the best Portuguese player by most Portuguese mainly because 'we' turned him into a Legend. He stuck around playing in Portugal for Benfica for many years(Though it certainly wasn't his choice, the fascist regime considered him a national treasure/icon/commodity), won two European Champion cups with Benfica, the 66 World Cup with the four goal comeback against North Korea and the national narrative that we only lost that World Cup because England cheated, and the fact that he has a statue outside the Luz and there's plans to make an even bigger one somewhere in Lisbon. He is deeply ingrained in our culture, even young kids learn about 'King' Eusebio before they learn who our first King was. The relation between the player and the country can be comparable to what the Brazilians feel about Pelé, or the Argentines about Maradona. When he finally kicks the bucket, there's going to be a seven day mourning in his honour, especially by all the Benfica fans.

While I think Ronaldo is a far better player, he doesn't really have the defining career moment to cement him as a Legend and to dethrone Eusebio. He left Portugal early, never winning a thing for Sporting, and everybody prefers heavy drinking than remembering Euro 2004. Though he still has time on his side, so maybe he can win that World Cup/Euro, and bring glory home. It's probably the same thing with Messi and Argentina. Messi is fantastic, but he hasn't won a World Cup by scoring with his hand. In the end, I can see Manchester United remembering far better Ronaldo, than Portugal. For the Portuguese Ronaldo will end up like Figo, he was the best during his time, a player you had to see to believe, but no 'Rei' Eusebio.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Seduced Milkman posted:

We're really not.

I was so close to adding the caveat "except older Benfica fans" but didn't think it was necessary, and that's because I have no doubts Ronaldo will be the consensual best Portuguese player ever when he retires. Anyone with a bit of sense doesn't buy into the whole King Eusebio myth Benfica has created, and is aware Eusebio never did anything for Portugal Ronaldo hasn't done.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 7, 2013

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Eusebio is still considered the best Portuguese player by most Portuguese mainly because 'we' turned him into a Legend. He stuck around playing in Portugal for Benfica for many years(Though it certainly wasn't his choice, the fascist regime considered him a national treasure/icon/commodity), won two European Champion cups with Benfica, the 66 World Cup with the four goal comeback against North Korea and the national narrative that we only lost that World Cup because England cheated, and the fact that he has a statue outside the Luz and there's plans to make an even bigger one somewhere in Lisbon. He is deeply ingrained in our culture, even young kids learn about 'King' Eusebio before they learn who our first King was. The relation between the player and the country can be comparable to what the Brazilians feel about Pelé, or the Argentines about Maradona. When he finally kicks the bucket, there's going to be a seven day mourning in his honour, especially by all the Benfica fans.

While I think Ronaldo is a far better player, he doesn't really have the defining career moment to cement him as a Legend and to dethrone Eusebio. He left Portugal early, never winning a thing for Sporting, and everybody prefers heavy drinking than remembering Euro 2004. Though he still has time on his side, so maybe he can win that World Cup/Euro, and bring glory home. It's probably the same thing with Messi and Argentina. Messi is fantastic, but he hasn't won a World Cup by scoring with his hand. In the end, I can see Manchester United remembering far better Ronaldo, than Portugal. For the Portuguese Ronaldo will end up like Figo, he was the best during his time, a player you had to see to believe, but no 'Rei' Eusebio.

Pretty much this. It is true that Ronaldo still has time and he certainly has the skills, but to say now that he will be "the consensual best Portuguese player ever" is certainly something.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I started watching the Portuguese League and I really can't explain why (American here). It sounds stupid but the league seems less pretentious and it is cool that it is a big breeding ground for future stars. I just wanted to clear things up these are my perceptions they easily could be wrong. Basically Porto and Benfica are the top two teams and Sporting and Braga lag a bit behind and the rest are far behind. Also the league is a stepping stone for (mostly) younger South American and Iberian talent. Is that right?

I guess you could call me a Benfica plastic. I decided to root for them on a whim (wasn't gonna root for a poo poo team sorry). Salvio is the man. That being said what are the popular thoughts on Benfica and Porto fans. Are there stereotypes? For instance in the US, Philadelphia sports fans are known for being rabid assholes who are quick to turn on their teams. Boston fans are smug as gently caress and Yankees fans are often seen as bandwagoners, especially outside the City. Haha i don't want to end up rooting for the Philadelphia equivalent in Portugal but it might be to late. Also I was rooting for Porto in the Champions league... how bad is that?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I started watching the Portuguese League and I really can't explain why (American here). It sounds stupid but the league seems less pretentious and it is cool that it is a big breeding ground for future stars. I just wanted to clear things up these are my perceptions they easily could be wrong. Basically Porto and Benfica are the top two teams and Sporting and Braga lag a bit behind and the rest are far behind. Also the league is a stepping stone for (mostly) younger South American and Iberian talent. Is that right?

I guess you could call me a Benfica plastic. I decided to root for them on a whim (wasn't gonna root for a poo poo team sorry). Salvio is the man. That being said what are the popular thoughts on Benfica and Porto fans. Are there stereotypes? For instance in the US, Philadelphia sports fans are known for being rabid assholes who are quick to turn on their teams. Boston fans are smug as gently caress and Yankees fans are often seen as bandwagoners, especially outside the City. Haha i don't want to end up rooting for the Philadelphia equivalent in Portugal but it might be to late. Also I was rooting for Porto in the Champions league... how bad is that?

It's cool that you picked our league, it's definitely a place where you can get to see huge stars before they explode, and it's always nice to be smug to your friends "Ronaldo? Yeah, I watched his first professional game". The league's essentially Porto vs Benfica and everything else is salad dressing - Sporting used to be a serious contender but not right now and probably not in the next five-ten years.

In terms of stereotypes... not particularly. Every team has its rear end in a top hat fans. Benfica's ultras are probably 'worse' than Porto's, because there have been some issues over the years with their 'officialness', as well as a Benfica guy being responsible for the only fan-caused death in a stadium. Our (Porto) fans are pretty much assholes too, though, but at least we have the recent success to go with it :smug:

I suppose a stereotype that gets repeated kind of often is that Benfica's fans are moors and Porto's fans are more corrupt, but it's not really the same kind of thing as what happens in America.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also sweet game today. We got a flare thrown in front of Cardozo right before a PK. A gigantic firecracker exploding in front of Artur and Cardozo getting booked for mocking the away fans after the incident.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

KoldPT posted:

In terms of stereotypes... not particularly. Every team has its rear end in a top hat fans. Benfica's ultras are probably 'worse' than Porto's, because there have been some issues over the years with their 'officialness', as well as a Benfica guy being responsible for the only fan-caused death in a stadium. Our (Porto) fans are pretty much assholes too, though, but at least we have the recent success to go with it :smug:

Nah, all Ultras are known scum, and are for all purpose and intents criminal organizations. The only thing the Benfica Ultras did "wrong", was getting caught several times, and having a club administration that doesn't have much patience with their stunts.

Seltzer posted:

Also sweet game today. We got a flare thrown in front of Cardozo right before a PK. A gigantic firecracker exploding in front of Artur and Cardozo getting booked for mocking the away fans after the incident.

Cardozo's little dance was a thing of beauty. Didn't deserve a yellow.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

KoldPT posted:

I suppose a stereotype that gets repeated kind of often is that Benfica's fans are moors and Porto's fans are more corrupt, but it's not really the same kind of thing as what happens in America.

Does moors mean darker skinned (mediterranean) portuguese like ronaldo or actual black/arab? Moor only gets used in American English to actually refer to the conquering Moors of old.
Also why is this thread super dead? I'm assuming there aren't many portuguese SA posters.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Does moors mean darker skinned (mediterranean) portuguese like ronaldo or actual black/arab? Moor only gets used in American English to actually refer to the conquering Moors of old.
Also why is this thread super dead? I'm assuming there aren't many portuguese SA posters.

Moors were the Arabs that came from Medieval North Africa and invaded the Iberian Peninsula. When Portugal was formed a thousand years ago, the Moors ruled everything South of Coimbra. Hence the slang adopted by the more Northern parts of the country. Outside of the football connection, the Moors thing is used to refer to the folk of the Algarve, the most Southern region, and historically the last to be conquered.

As for Portuguese league news:

*Benfica has apparentley sold Garay to Manchester United.

*Tomorrow Sporting goes into elections to determine the new President, and the future of the club. They are selling players(Wolfswinkel and Capel) right now to pay up player salaries. Bankrupt and still poo poo.

*As for Porto, Pinto da Costa will re-elect himself in May.

*Braga still poo poo.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 22, 2013

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

Moors were the Arabs that came from Medieval North Africa and invaded the Iberian Peninsula. When Portugal was formed a thousand years ago, the Moors ruled everything South of Coimbra. Hence the slang adopted by the more Northern parts of the country. Outside of the football connection, the Moors thing is used to refer to the folk of the Algarve, the most Southern region, and historically the last to be conquered.

As for Portuguese league news:

*Benfica has apparentley sold Garay to Manchester United.

Yea I know the history, so in your context it is just referring to southern portuguese/swarthier types? I'm pissed about Garay moving. His goal last week was awesome. Has benfica disclosed what they are getting for him?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's official, but £17M is what is being said in the press.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Yea I know the history, so in your context it is just referring to southern portuguese/swarthier types? I'm pissed about Garay moving. His goal last week was awesome. Has benfica disclosed what they are getting for him?

It's just people from the South of Portugal, despite their complexion.

As for Garay, the newspapers are reporting 17 million Euros(I think), but until the club says something it's all numbers in the air. Regardless of the fee, half of it is going for Real Madrid as part of the original Benfica-Real Madrid transfer deal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Learn not to get pissed off when Benfica or whoever sell players, this is pretty much a selling league and a stepping stone for many players.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Drogadon posted:

Learn not to get pissed off when Benfica or whoever sell players, this is pretty much a selling league and a stepping stone for many players.

Haha, I know, but certain players you like more than others. Garay was one of them, but Salvio is my favorite.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

As a sidenote, the announcer I have to deal with when I watch Benfica is miserable. I get the games in HD on ESPN3 but it's only in Spanish. Now I understand and speak Spanish pretty well so it's not the language that's the problem. I don't know how familiar you are with Spanish accents but the game is announced by the least enthusiastic guy ever with the goofiest slow Mexican accent. Just one guy, not two commentators. He barely musters any excitement for the obligatory Gooooooooooooooooool he has to say. I've seen Benfica games on English and Portuguese feeds and theyre both better (despite a lot of the portuguese going over my head).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Seltzer posted:

As a sidenote, the announcer I have to deal with when I watch Benfica is miserable. I get the games in HD on ESPN3 but it's only in Spanish. Now I understand and speak Spanish pretty well so it's not the language that's the problem. I don't know how familiar you are with Spanish accents but the game is announced by the least enthusiastic guy ever with the goofiest slow Mexican accent. Just one guy, not two commentators. He barely musters any excitement for the obligatory Gooooooooooooooooool he has to say. I've seen Benfica games on English and Portuguese feeds and theyre both better (despite a lot of the portuguese going over my head).

All Mexican commentators are terrible, no way around that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Drogadon posted:

All Mexican commentators are terrible, no way around that.

Living in the states I've caught a number of Mexican announced games. The guy who does Benfica sucks to what I've seen. At least with the other broadcasts there are two of them and they don't sound like they are on Ketamine. I don't even know why the Benfica games are broadcast in Spanish. I live near a pretty Portuguese/Brazilian area and I figure more people overall would prefer to watch the game in English or Portuguese nationwide. But I think ESPN thinks Portugal is next to Spain where they speak Spanish therefore Latin Americans who also speak Spanish will watch it, oh and they love football so they'll watch it anyways. Who knows.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting's presidential elections were today and the results were supposed to be out by 22:00, but it's 1:30 AM and still nothing. Same thing happened two years ago when results were supposed to be out by 23:00 and we got them at 4:00 with a different president than the one all polls suggested was the winner. We'll see how it ends up tonight.

e: It's over, Bruno Carvalho, the man with the most votes two years ago has finally been elected president. 41 and with no past in sports, fans hope he will represent the complete rupture with the people and politics that have lead the club to near ruins.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 24, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Just wanted to say that Lima owns.

Also I will never be able to take a grown man who calls himself Bebé seriously.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Just watched Braga vs Sporting, eventful game. Deserved 3-2 away win for Sporting with a classy Van Wolfswinkel hat trick including a last minute winner :)

Sporting went down to 10 men because one of their players got a second yellow for a stupid loving dive.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Blue Screen Error posted:

Just watched Braga vs Sporting, eventful game. Deserved 3-2 away win for Sporting with a classy Van Wolfswinkel hat trick including a last minute winner :)

Sporting went down to 10 men because one of their players got a second yellow for a stupid loving dive.

The red card was bullshit, you just don't give a second yellow to a player in that situation, it's common sense. Besides, I think there was contact (enough for it not be considered a dive) but I might be biased. Did you watch it for Wolfswinkel? He was fantastic tonight, a lot of people were scared he would turn off in the remaining matches now that's he's been sold which would suck since he's our only decent striker but he showed a lot of character today, classy.

It was a good match and the players didn't give up after the red card, I would have been happy with a draw honestly but Braga were awful against 10 and Peseiro took a long time to make some changes in their team. We still have a shot at making 5th and getting into Europe, while Braga will need a result next week against Porto if they want to have a shot at the CL next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Yeah I was mainly watching to check out Wolfswinkel, turned into a good game though regardless. I will probably watch the rest of Sporting's games this season if they are available.

I was impressed by RVW's movement, he seems able to find a yard of space centrally which is something none of our current strikers seem capable of doing, he reminds me of a better Shane Long from what little I've seen so far.

I didn't see the first yellow for whoever it was, but the dive was a definite dive, a proper midair twisting one.

I think the win should have been more comfortable, keeper should have done better for Braga's second and maybe the first. Odd to think Braga are competing for a Champions League spot as they didn't look very good imo, they do have a cool stadium with that cliff face though.

• Locked thread