Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think this is the point where it starts to go too far:

Making my own cables so it all looks OEM.

SXV this weekend didnt work out...guy had lost the plate and it's impossible to get a new one in CA on the 07 model cause they were listed as offhighway only...dealerships plated them but it wasnt supposed to be done.

Also I am getting far too into gokarting. Broke into the top 50 at my local gokart place. It's cheaper than roadracing at least :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

You gonna eat that?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

god those loving doves

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is it being trained to carry an olive branch to the California Highway Patrol?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I hear squab is very tasty, but I'm more a salmon/beef guy myself.

Ola, they'd be more likely to simply poop on the highway patrol. Gratifying, but ultimately not helpful.

I changed some spark plugs, air filter, reset the adjustments on the 675 and went on a ride with Motomind and my housemate and the view didn't suck today.

drat cameras can never properly capture the glory. Now I'm going to drink delicious ginger beer and watch resident evil 3. Good day. The woes of yesterday's problems with having to use an angle grinder on the front wheel of the GS500 seem so delightfully far away.

Oh and spend a hilarious amount of money at the Dianese store this weekend so the wife has gear.

And broke intentionally reduced the size of the daytona's fairing so it clears the bars properly.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 10, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Got the front wheel for the GS500, and discovered that the bearings were seized. Fantastic. Ordered a new set, but also got use my badass slide hammer/bearing puller kit to remove the old ones, which was totally worth the high cost of entry.

Also did a complete rebuild of the front and rear brakes, pistons out, cleaned the corrosion out of the channels that the seals go into...now the brakes work beautifully.

I discovered someone installed the wrong sprocket setup on the GS500 that I bought so it's torn up the countershaft like crazy :(

Guess I'll weld on the new sprocket when it comes. Sigh.

But now that's all done so I'm just gonna hang out with the burd here and post on the internet.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

i imagine the bird sounds exactly like jeff laughing

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
That bird owns, but isn't as good as good as that GS. It's supposed to be hosed up, thats how GSes roll. :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Borderlands 2, goodbye vacation!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I might be hitting the states next October as part of a larger round-the-world trip. I'm probably going to hit the west coast first (I'll be coming in from Hong Kong, maybe NZ). Would you be up for sourcing me a decent mid weight bike and helping me service/prep it for a bit of touring?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

I might be hitting the states next October as part of a larger round-the-world trip. I'm probably going to hit the west coast first (I'll be coming in from Hong Kong, maybe NZ). Would you be up for sourcing me a decent mid weight bike and helping me service/prep it for a bit of touring?

Decent mid weight bike? You need a chopper to truly experience the land of the free.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Zool posted:

You need a chopper to truly experience the land of the free.

I disagree - in today's America women can own property and drive. Some liberal states have even repealed burning at the stake as punishment for premarital sex!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Would love to. You have PMs? Drop me one with your email and we'll figure things out. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So I'm working on bikes today, trying to get the GS500 out of the garage and up for sale, but yesterday Motomind linked me this and I can't help but want to share.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710918

If this guy is still alive, I should have no problems making an SXV650.

Some notable pictures for those who don't want to dig:

Doesn't fit? Cut!

Weld!

So...I'm thinking that if he is still alive, I can probably make a functional SXV650.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So.... is he just never doing another oil change again?

Jesus.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wait till the frame snaps, do oil change, reweld.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think I had a goon encounter on the way to work today :v:

Haven't updated lately because things have been a little insane in the new year here, but I think I'm finally getting out of the woods :)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
*biker on ninja 250 in dayglo jacket and mismatched gear rolls up next to Z3n at a stoplight*
*pops modular hood*
"h-hey nice bike buddy"
"thanks."
"h-heh, nice full suit too, is it roomy?"
"what?"
"n-n-no homo...."
*flips down modular helmet and punches it at the green*

EDIT: :spergin:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Wow that thread took me a while! I have to ask why your bit doing this for employment? I know your doing sysadmin stuff but with a proper shop and perhaps some starting capital it seems you would make a fortune... Also never change.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Wow that thread took me a while! I have to ask why your bit doing this for employment? I know your doing sysadmin stuff but with a proper shop and perhaps some starting capital it seems you would make a fortune... Also never change.

Computers are my job, bikes are my hobbies. After the period where I was unemployed and paying the bills with bike work stuff I realized that I'm not really much for working on bikes as a job. The fun isn't in fixing a bike with a thousand rusted fasteners, it's in doing stuff that makes my bikes work better for me (or my friends). I could probably make a decent biz out of doing this professionally but I'd much rather keep it as a hobby, computers offer a steady paycheck, benefits, etc. I like that stability, and I really love the ability to let a project sit for months in my garage if I don't feel like looking at it, like I have been lately. I think it's mostly that doing computer work is livable even when it's bad (and it pays drat well), and working on bikes is awesome when it's good and terrible when it's bad.

Plus I'm still way better with computers than I am with bikes, so shrug.

I'll work on the never changing thing :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What truth.

Fixing your friend's broken computer = unraveling a broken Windows install, googling spyware killers, being called and hated 2 weeks later when it dies anyway.
Fixing your friend's broken bike = discovering new things, teaching things, applying skills, growing as a human, growing as friends, being called and appreciated 2 weeks later when it dies anyway.

Working with computers = everything from doing toner service on a travelling circus' popcorn receipt printer to overruling POTUS on design decisions made when developing the government's facial recognition auto-kill anti-terror space drone algorithm.
Working with bikes = you are paid less than a car mechanic. Which is right as you develop fewer skills. Yet, the customer complains more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mylife.txt

Nah, computers have taken me to some rad places. Amsterdam & London are where I'm at this week.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Nah, computers have taken me to some rad places. Amsterdam & London are where I'm at this week.

:q: Hi.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dropped you a PM :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Daytona was stolen out of the parking lot today :(

Waiting for the police to come take a report. :(

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
That sucks :-( what did you have on it for locks, anything fancy?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That's balls dude. Hopefully they give you enough for a fun new toy!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mostly stock. Just the handlebar, some levers, other little stuff. I am the saddest downs.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

Told you not to gently caress with, now your bike's locked up in a brooklyn basement.

Sux

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sux indeed. Oh well, on to the next project, I guess.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That sucks, hope you get it back/enough to get another one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The Daytona curse continues.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Time for a real Daytona:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

Time for a real Daytona:

My HP is poo poo.

Shimrod posted:

That sucks, hope you get it back/enough to get another one.

Yeah I insure through State Farm for a reason. Their payouts are usually pretty drat good.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Zenaida posted:

Time for a real Daytona:

Seriously?

They put the manufacturer name on that thing a MINIMUM of SEVEN times?

:stare:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Kenny Rogers posted:

Seriously?

They put the manufacturer name on that thing a MINIMUM of SEVEN times?

:stare:

Have you seen a bicycle lately? That poo poo is TAME.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Aw, what the gently caress???

What's next? I know you've thought about it. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Aw, what the gently caress???

What's next? I know you've thought about it. :v:

No idea, actually. First bike I'd really wanted to keep around for a long time. We'll see what comes up cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HNasty posted:

Told you not to gently caress with, now your bike's locked up in a brooklyn basement.

Sux

Face it, not guilty

• Locked thread