Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good question. Somewhere I have an old, out of print Gene Roddenberry bio that I need to read which covers the production of Star Trek.

"The Making of Star Trek" by Gerrold is a good read on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think that's the one I have.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Can I nitpick about how the changed the look of the phasers? Cause the ones in the poster look really lovely and bland and I liked the phasers in the first JJTrek.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Aatrek posted:

The nacelles are all wrong.

Edit: on the crashing ship, that is.

That's a huge relief for me.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Prate posted:

Can I nitpick about how the changed the look of the phasers? Cause the ones in the poster look really lovely and bland and I liked the phasers in the first JJTrek.

I think they're Klingon.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cellophane S posted:

That's a huge relief for me.
I can read NCC-170... on the saucer. :ohdear: On the other hand, we see it coming out of the water in the teaser trailer, so whatever it is I guess it's not a write-off.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Based on the teaser scene that was shown in theatres, I think there'll be two separate scenes involving ships and water; a scene on the alien planet where they're hiding the Enterprise in the ocean and will have to emerge, and a scene where a ship (which may or may not be the Enterprise) crashes into a body of water on Earth.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Payndz posted:

I can read NCC-170... on the saucer. :ohdear: On the other hand, we see it coming out of the water in the teaser trailer, so whatever it is I guess it's not a write-off.

I am still very :ohdear: about this :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kill the Enterprise in the 2nd movie, rest of the film series is gonna be about dune buggy racing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cingulate posted:

Kill the Enterprise in the 2nd movie, rest of the film series is gonna be about dune buggy racing.
1701 Fast 1701 Furious.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Supercar Gautier posted:

Based on the teaser scene that was shown in theatres, I think there'll be two separate scenes involving ships and water; a scene on the alien planet where they're hiding the Enterprise in the ocean and will have to emerge, and a scene where a ship (which may or may not be the Enterprise) crashes into a body of water on Earth.

This is correct.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Destroying the Enterprise in the second movie would be a big mistake is all I'm saying. I wouldn't like it one bit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cellophane S posted:

Destroying the Enterprise in the second movie would be a big mistake is all I'm saying. I wouldn't like it one bit.

Everyone knows you have to wait until the 3rd movie.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
There's more than one ship with a registry number that starts with 170-. So it's possible that's not the Enterprise.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cellophane S posted:

Why exactly? Nobody has to be "attached" to the Enterprise - it would be a big action sequence, and that's all they really need it to be.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's just a ship, who cares if it blows up.

Build a new one :colbert:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Wasn't Gene Roddenberry a WW2 pilot, where the culture was to have a very personal connection with your aircraft?

Also we already know the Nu-Enterprise is a toy that can tolerate insane stresses so even if it crashes it will probably fly again.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zzulu posted:

Plenty of letters left in the alphabet.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I would be fine with them blowing it up if they replaced it with the one from Star Trek 1-6. That is the bestest version of the Enterprise anyway . . .

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I just want shorter nacells and a better engineering set. If we've got to trash this Enterprise to get it then I say go for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gyges posted:

Everyone knows you have to wait until the 3rd movie.
Working title: Star Tr3k

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McDowell posted:

Wasn't Gene Roddenberry a WW2 pilot, where the culture was to have a very personal connection with your aircraft?

Correct, whereas Harve Bennett was a Korea-era veteran, where if you crashed your helicopter, you just walked away and got a new one. Bennett's plan to destroy the Enterprise and move the crew to Excelsior was the breaking point in the relationship between Roddenberry and Bennett (which was already rocky, as Roddenberry viewed Bennett as the man who took Star Trek away from him); Roddenberry was never more than tersely civil towards him after that.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 24, 2013

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I'm probably reading too much into this, but it seems to me that so heavily-implying the crashing of the Enterprise is probably an intentional misdirection. Basically it's a great marketing ploy and the Enterprise will be fine. For all we know, that crash happens towards the beginning of the movie and is the very act of terrorism for which Kirk is so intent on pursuing Cumberbatch's character.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ They had NO problem showing off the Enterprise blowing up for the Star Trek III trailer, and the Nemesis trailer proudly displayed the Enterprise-E ramming.

They managed to keep the Enterprise-D crash scene out of the ads for Generations, though, and I'm glad they did because that was the most amazing thing my younger self had ever seen in a movie theater in my life at the time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're blowing up the Enterprise so they can finally get to what everyone wants to see, the Voyager.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

lizardman posted:

^^ They had NO problem showing off the Enterprise blowing up for the Star Trek III trailer, and the Nemesis trailer proudly displayed the Enterprise-E ramming.

They managed to keep the Enterprise-D crash scene out of the ads for Generations, though, and I'm glad they did because that was the most amazing thing my younger self had ever seen in a movie theater in my life at the time.

I think your childhood brain blocked it out.

It was in the TV spots, too.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 24, 2013

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Whizbang posted:

They're blowing up the Enterprise so they can finally get to what everyone wants to see, the Voyager.

The Sisko.

Prophets sent someone to his dad earlier this time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

It's a refreshing break from Nathan Fillion love, at least.
I have to know the real name of the character Benedict is playing in this movie so I can write my Captain Mal x <insert name here> fanfic

Comfortador posted:

Aren't phasers supposed to be a constant beam? Or did they change that? (Or was it both?) My memory is fuzzy.

McSpanky posted:

It's because Abrams is a big Star Wars fan and Star Wars blasters go pew pew pew pew, not a single-beam fzzzzzzsh.
TOS pistol phasers are pulsey

Enterprise AA
        |
VVVVVVVVVV

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 24, 2013

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Plenty of letters left in the alphabet.

What are they going to say when Enterprise-Z is destroyed?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Man, I hope it's much smaller than the A, and then in 675 more ships we get the Enterprise AAA which is even smaller.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

NCC-1701AA, NCC-1701AB, etc...

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

The sexy voyages of the starship Enterprise 1701-XXX

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Man, I hope it's much smaller than the A, and then in 675 more ships we get the Enterprise AAA which is even smaller.

Was the Enterprise-D the biggest and squarest of them?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Jack Gladney posted:

Was the Enterprise-D the biggest and squarest of them?

That would be the NCC-1701VVVVVVVVV.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

That would be the NCC-1701VVVVVVVVV.

Nice. Too many Vs though I think.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm starting to wonder what the over/under is on one of the main seven being killed off for emotional impact.

Does J.J. have the balls to do it? Would the studio allow it?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Well, by then Starfleet will be making timeships, so they can just slide over into NCV-1701, NCV-1701-A...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

McDowell posted:

Also we already know the Nu-Enterprise is a toy that can tolerate insane stresses so even if it crashes it will probably fly again.

Getting sucked into a black hole? Bitch, please.

quote:

I'm starting to wonder what the over/under is on one of the main seven being killed off for emotional impact.

Does J.J. have the balls to do it? Would the studio allow it?

Well, Chekhov and Sulu are probably possible options.

quote:

I would be fine with them blowing it up if they replaced it with the one from Star Trek 1-6. That is the bestest version of the Enterprise anyway . . .

This man speaks the truth! gently caress these new rear end nacelles.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cellophane S posted:

Nice. Too many Vs though I think.

9V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizbang posted:

I really want this.

• Locked thread