Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone got any so bad it's good 80s movies to recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I was like three hundred posts behind and catching up on this thread and someone mentioned that the apparently new season of Peep Show up, and not only does that not appear to be true, but both Peep Show and That Mitchell And Webb Look are gone. Why :cry:

Hulu has both so I'm guessing they struck an exclusive deal.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Alan Smithee posted:

The Stuff.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Alan Smithee posted:

Commando

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Alan Smithee posted:

Re-Animator

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

casa de mi padre posted:

Not really. Netflix gets your money regardless of what you stream, how you stream it, whatever. You're not depriving one Netflix of money by going to a different Netflix. It's all the same Netflix.

I'm literally too lazy to change my DNS thingy to allow me to watch Canadian Netflix though so I don't have a goose in this pot.

Also they have stated in interviews that they don't care which Netflix customers watch, they get paid regardless.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dahmer is the movie that launched Renner back before they realized he's only really good at playing Jeffery Dahmer.

I don't think that's very fair, dude just gets lovely generic action hero roles. He was really great in The Town when he actually had a character to work with. He's a good actor, his look just totally hosed him. If he was more interesting looking and less Tough Guy #1, he'd probably be awash in roles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh yeah, he is good in The Town, and Hurt Locker, too. My problem is that he's always cast as this emotionally flat badass character, even Sam Worthington gets to be emotional once in a while, or is allowed to show any reaction at all. And then you watch interviews with Renner and he seems perfectly lively, so I do wonder if that's just a choice he makes in every single movie he's in, or if they cast him for that specific reason.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh yeah, he is good in The Town, and Hurt Locker, too. My problem is that he's always cast as this emotionally flat badass character, even Sam Worthington gets to be emotional once in a while, or is allowed to show any reaction at all. And then you watch interviews with Renner and he seems perfectly lively, so I do wonder if that's just a choice he makes in every single movie he's in, or if they cast him for that specific reason.

I think he came down with the Statham syndrome.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think he came down with the Statham syndrome.

Which is precisely what sucks about it. I like Statham a lot but even in his best roles he doesn't have to do much.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
The documentary The Imposter is up. It's the best documentary I've seen since Exit Through The Gift Shop, and one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.

In 1994 a 13 year old boy disappeared from San Antonio, Texas. Three years later he was found in Spain and went back to live with his family. Except the person that came home was clearly much older than 16 and also clearly was not American.

It's one of the strangest true stories you'll ever hear, and takes some unexpected and horrifying twists from what already is an unexpected and horrifying starting point.

Seriously, watch it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
These aren't so-bad-it's-good, these are so-good-it's-great. They're all campy as hell but really enjoyable movies.

All this talk about Jeremy Renner reminds me of when he was on SNL sometime last year. I've never seen anyone so uncomfortable on that show; he was just kind of nervously breaking half the time and stumbling over lines the rest of it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

SRM posted:

These aren't so-bad-it's-good, these are so-good-it's-great. They're all campy as hell but really enjoyable movies.

All this talk about Jeremy Renner reminds me of when he was on SNL sometime last year. I've never seen anyone so uncomfortable on that show; he was just kind of nervously breaking half the time and stumbling over lines the rest of it.
To pile on to the fun, but kind of campy 80's movies: Night of the Comet. Or, Alan Smithee might be looking for something along the lines of Xanadu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maxnmona posted:

The documentary The Imposter is up. It's the best documentary I've seen since Exit Through The Gift Shop, and one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.

poo poo, I meant to recommend that a week or two ago. Seconded, it's pretty fantastic and has some really incredible twists and :tinfoil: stuff.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

maxnmona posted:

In 1994 a 13 year old boy disappeared from San Antonio, Texas. Three years later he was found in Spain and went back to live with his family. Except the person that came home was clearly much older than 16 and also clearly was not American.

It's one of the strangest true stories you'll ever hear, and takes some unexpected and horrifying twists from what already is an unexpected and horrifying starting point.

Seriously, watch it.

I'm not sure its a true story, I don't think it ever directly said it was. Anyway,me and my girlfriend picked this at random to watch the other night and it was captivating. It kind of reminded me of Lake Mungo in the way that the freakiness of the movie is derived from how genuine the interviews feel.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Flippycunt posted:

I'm not sure its a true story, I don't think it ever directly said it was. Anyway,me and my girlfriend picked this at random to watch the other night and it was captivating. It kind of reminded me of Lake Mungo in the way that the freakiness of the movie is derived from how genuine the interviews feel.

It's very much a documentary, and those were real people not actors.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_grann?currentPage=all (don't read if you haven't seen the movie)

It is, like Exit Through The Gift Shop or Forbidden Lie$, a documentary that plays with the objectivity of the format by building the entire structure around an unreliable narrator, and so it's definitely one that is supposed to leave you questioning what actually happened, but still: real documentary.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 23, 2013

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
On a non-Renner note, can anyone explain why Saturday Night Live episodes are butchered beyond all recognition? I was kind of jazzed about pawing through the earlier seasons, but many of them are only 30-40 minutes long. (I'm guessing an average complete episode runs at least an hour, subtracting commercials.)

I get why just about all of the musical acts are clipped out--they probably don't want to pay royalties, which can get insane--but why cut out opening host monologues and sketches? (Believe me, it's not a quality issue: some of the stuff left in is beyond horrible.) The '70s era episodes seems more complete, but once you get to the '80s, it's completely hacked up.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning was pretty awesome if you can endure through some slow story segments. It's from 2012, but it's sort of a late 80's throw back action movie like The Expendables. Except the fight scenes are actually good in this movie and they did without the cheesy one liners.

It has brutal over the the top gore and Andre Arvloski as a bad rear end bearded plumber super soldier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still don't know how "real" Exit Through the Gift Shop is, and I like it that way. I know I could wiki it, but some things are better left to the imagination.

e: Speaking of documentaries, I keep trying to get through Man On Wire and I just can't get past how annoying the main guy is. Should I keep at it? Is it really that good?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

On a non-Renner note, can anyone explain why Saturday Night Live episodes are butchered beyond all recognition?

I'm fairly certain it's to do with music, like the guests. Any time there is a musical number in the monologue it's cut from all official forms of replay. Many episodes will clock in at only half the episode length, which may be extraneous to explain away with the slightest of musical clips, but I do know for certain about the monologues. And if that much is true...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I still don't know how "real" Exit Through the Gift Shop is, and I like it that way. I know I could wiki it, but some things are better left to the imagination.

I don't think any one know for sure. If Thierry Guetta is an act it's one he's been doing for years and years it's one that he's still doing. Still, there's so much in that movie that's really hard to believe and fits way too perfectly into the narrative that Banksy would want to create.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I get why just about all of the musical acts are clipped out--they probably don't want to pay royalties

It hadn't occurred to me that they do this, but it's a drat shame. Some of my first exposure to some huge acts were their initial live appearances on SNL back in its true glory days. Talking Heads. DEVO, Blondie. Those were some really historically significant appearances.

Yeah, I'm old as gently caress.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

soapgish posted:

I'm fairly certain it's to do with music, like the guests. Any time there is a musical number in the monologue it's cut from all official forms of replay. Many episodes will clock in at only half the episode length, which may be extraneous to explain away with the slightest of musical clips, but I do know for certain about the monologues. And if that much is true...

A lot, if not all, of the 70s episodes have the musical guests, though. I've used Netflix to show people Elvis Costello's infamous performance of "Radio Radio" which got him banned from the show for a long time. The 80s episodes are really chopped up, though. I can see some of them being quality/damage control, like the 81 Halloween episode removing FEAR's riotous performance, but they cut out a lot more.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
In regards to The Imposter, Holy poo poo that long to get a DNA test? I felt bad for the dude. He seemed like he was just really hosed in the head. Then the whole thing about the family possibly killing the real kid, gently caress.

And the fact that they used the polygraph 3 times. Come on.

Pretty good.

Tennis Ball fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 23, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

precision posted:

e: Speaking of documentaries, I keep trying to get through Man On Wire and I just can't get past how annoying the main guy is. Should I keep at it? Is it really that good?

Yes, it really is, although I think a lot of its quality is the main guy's charm. If you don't find his excitement and excessive positivity infectious then I don't know that you'll really get anything out of it. As cliched and corny as it is, it's not a movie about tight-rope walking, it's a movie about the human spirit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix really knows me well. Just had Naked pop up on my Recommended feed:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Naked/60034974?trkid=2361637

I first saw it when my former roommate rented it way back in '98, and it remains one of the best and most bleak films I've ever seen. It stars the guy who would go on to play a werewolf in Harry Potter as a lovable scamp!

quote:

Johnny: Was I bored? No, I wasn't fuckin' bored. I'm never bored. That's the trouble with everybody - you're all so bored. You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them, and it doesn't matter how tawdry or vacuous they are as long as it's new as long as it's new as long as it flashes and fuckin' bleeps in forty fuckin' different colors. So whatever else you can say about me, I'm not fuckin' bored.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

The beauty of Exit Through the Gift Shop is I did wiki it afterwards and it didn't clear up anything.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.
March 23rd is Akira Kurosawa's birthday, so Hulu has put up 29 of his movies for free.

http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/1591

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Internet Gentleman posted:

March 23rd is Akira Kurosawa's birthday, so Hulu has put up 29 of his movies for free.

http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/1591

:aaa: amazing! But what do I watch first? I've seen bits and pieces of seven samurai, but that's about it. I'm thinking that first.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It's a 3.5 hour epic though, not to discourage but maybe try Rashomon, Yojimbo, Ikiru, or High and Low first? I mean if you're cool with it go ahead.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A lot, if not all, of the 70s episodes have the musical guests, though. I've used Netflix to show people Elvis Costello's infamous performance of "Radio Radio" which got him banned from the show for a long time. The 80s episodes are really chopped up, though. I can see some of them being quality/damage control, like the 81 Halloween episode removing FEAR's riotous performance, but they cut out a lot more.

The answer is indubitably going to be an amalgam of things, though music is the main culprit which can be immediately identified. As I said with missing monologues, and even single jokes cut from Weekend Update are from the Benny Hill music being used, or something. While you couldn't be more correct about SNL's musical performances being formative to the youth watching it (there are plenty I could list), my guess is that the performances started being cut when the point in time came that "rights" became an issue.

Which brings me to the other likely reason, being the writing. As happened some years ago with the writers strike, a big issue then was digital replay of things, and the deal made, as I recall, included some retroactive protection. So there's probably that.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
All that Kurosawa stuff is available all the time on Hulu Plus, though, right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

precision posted:

Netflix really knows me well. Just had Naked pop up on my Recommended feed:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Naked/60034974?trkid=2361637

I first saw it when my former roommate rented it way back in '98, and it remains one of the best and most bleak films I've ever seen. It stars the guy who would go on to play a werewolf in Harry Potter as a lovable scamp!

This and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover (also on Instant, featuring Michael Gambon - Dumbledore 2.0 - as a monstrous crime lord) are two of the angriest films I've ever seen about the Thatcher administration. Naked is one of Mike Leigh's more orderly films but he's got several other movies on Instant and they're all worth watching - Happy-Go-Lucky (Sally Hawkins plays a relentlessly upbeat schoolteacher who goes head to head with a frustrated, pessimistic driving instructor, played by Eddie Marsan), Vera Drake (Imelda Staunton - aka Dolores Umbridge - provides illegal abortions in post-war Britain), All Or Nothing (Timothy Spall - aka Peter Pettigrew, to keep with the theme - heads a working-class London family, which includes James Corden), and Topsy-Turvy (about the creation of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado - Jim Broadbent plays Gilbert). Leigh is probably my favorite director right now and I recommend all of those really, really highly, though, of those, All Or Nothing is probably closest to Naked.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Tennis Ball posted:

In regards to The Imposter, Holy poo poo that long to get a DNA test? I felt bad for the dude. He seemed like he was just really hosed in the head. Then the whole thing about the family possibly killing the real kid, gently caress.

Pretty good.

Ok, I just watched this movie an it was a great watch. I have one huuuuuuge beef with the end:

They spend all this time building up to a did-they didn't-they kill him, is he more unreliable than they are? Does his serial lying outweigh the totally hosed up and circumstantial evidence that the half-brother killed him?

And then they do this massive cock-tease of unearthing his grave in the backyard. I wish they'd cut that bullshit and just left us with the dueling "gently caress-you!"s and a wonderful plea to the viewer from the mother that leaves us doubting of everything we heard the entire movie.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Didn't see this recommended but The Toxic Avenger has always satisfied.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Ok, I just watched this movie an it was a great watch. I have one huuuuuuge beef with the end:

They spend all this time building up to a did-they didn't-they kill him, is he more unreliable than they are? Does his serial lying outweigh the totally hosed up and circumstantial evidence that the half-brother killed him?

And then they do this massive cock-tease of unearthing his grave in the backyard. I wish they'd cut that bullshit and just left us with the dueling "gently caress-you!"s and a wonderful plea to the viewer from the mother that leaves us doubting of everything we heard the entire movie.

The grave was empty. Everything is still in doubt

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I just caught this and I agree completely. The movie never addresses the notion that accepting the crazy Frenchman with the transparent story would do nothing to hide the kid's murder and would in fact attract more attention. If the family had killed the son, they had gotten away with it already. The only sane move for them would be to expose the guy immediately and leave him in Spain. The narrative that comes through despite the film's attempt to bury it is the one about the family driven so insane by grief and lack of closure that they accept the impossible because it was what they longed for for so long.

I also love that despite being the one to discover the truth, the private investigator comes off as the most insane crank in the whole movie. I can't imagine why the FBI didn't take him seriously when he called them and started yelling about the ears not matching. I wonder if he added the information that he was hired by Hard Copy to cover a story for them--you know, so that he'd have more credibility.

And a close competitor for the biggest tragedy in the film is that Bourdain never got any psychological help despite being totally insane. I have to wonder if he's still trying to pass himself off as missing kids, despite now being in his 30s and having a bunch of kids of his own. I can't believe that the socialist utopia of France would allow somebody like that to raise kids at all.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Tennis Ball posted:

In regards to The Imposter...

Loved the documentary, and hated that so, so much too. They did it 3 times until they got the result they wanted and then that lady paraded it around like it meant anything. The drat things are inadmissible for a reason. The "murder angle" was such obvious bullshit perpetrated by a compulsive liar making another big play, a woman unable to recognizable being duped (twice, having fallen for the murder story), and a crazy PI still looking for the bigger conspiracy after his suspicion of an international-terrorist plot folded.

It's totally essential to the narrative as the great second-scam that mirrors how the family could fall for the blatant lie out of a desperate hope when the people who unraveled the first lie ended up doing the same thing in desperation to vindicate grander egos. The culmination of the PI ecstatically entering "Al Capone's vault" but keeping hope alive is the perfect conclusion to the movie.

I'm right on with maxnmona about this being the best documentary I've seen since Exit Through the Gift Shop.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 24, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Going to watch The Imposter right now, too tempting to spoiler myself with all that text so better watch it before I cave.

I had started watching The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus earlier in the day but had to quit because there was too much of a commotion going on in the house. Pretty interesting so far. I remember hearing about the movie mostly because it was Heath Ledger's last performance. I like Terry Gilliam quite a lot and thought I'd check it out fairly cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In spite of how it looks, who it's directed by, and the likelihood of it being good, I'm really excited for Hemlock Grove.

• Locked thread