Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Necroneocon posted:

I use ME as a recent example of lovely RPGs that people crow over as if they were actually RPGs but I can go back to pretty much RPG after DA1 was created if you'd like.

The point is this, and gasp, the ToN devs agreed with me in a long email exchange we had. RPGs have been going down the wrong road for a while, this game and Wasteland 2 is a chance to fix it. You're speculating on a question like Philosophy 101 people. Wait and see what they present beforeyou go :smug: What does one life matter? Well whatevs. Text in my game? Feh. No female character like Miranda (or, to make NihilCredo happy) Morrigan's boobs hanging out? No thanks *goes back to Call of Duty*

For older gamers, RPGs were about the story, experience and the unique and memorable characters. What RPGs have been turding out these past years have avoided that.

This is some serious nostalgic holier-than-thou poo poo right here. There isn't a goonsay or Bobdobs big enough. For older gamers we were a lot younger and our sensibilities were a lot easier to please than they are now that we've :airquote:matured a little. The Golden Age of gaming had just as much boring grindfests and poorly written crap that we do these days, you've just taken the outliers and whitewashed away the rest. Calm down.

I'll be among the first people to say ME had some poor writing and pacing and narrative issues, but taken as an experience it was done pretty darn well.

Games back when you are imaging them were just as imperfect and as much as I really don't care that we lambast Bioware and the like, it's really disingenuous to pretend that almost every game from the past didn't suffer from similar-but-different pacing or writing or characterization or gameplay issues. Talk about min/maxxing or grinding your way to the finish line, gently caress.

Clearly RPGs have gone down divergent paths, and while it may be fun to identify similarities between the shifts of convention it's really not ideal to try to compare them or the people who enjoy them. And Mass Effect's poorly done focus on overt physical sexuality and adherence to the male gaze in no way means all of its characters or dialog were terrible or uninteresting.

Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect; these aren't steps in the wrong direction. I get your enthusiasm for Torment, I'm enthused as well, but saying that because something doesn't have a text parser (or other 'old school' conventions) it isn't a true rpg that's worth our time doesn't ring true.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

This is some serious nostalgic holier-than-thou poo poo right here. There isn't a goonsay or Bobdobs big enough. For older gamers we were a lot younger and our sensibilities were a lot easier to please than they are now that we've :airquote:matured a little. The Golden Age of gaming had just as much boring grindfests and poorly written crap that we do these days, you've just taken the outliers and whitewashed away the rest. Calm down.
I don't want to get into the middle of this particular argument but people just remember games as so much better than they were. I once was pretty much shouted at on another board years ago because someone posted a topic 'Are games getting worse?' and I was the only one in the thread that believed that they really had gotten so much better just within my lifetime. UIs are better, Graphics are better and with some exceptions most games have a least some story as opposed to the majority having a story that could be written on a postage stamp.

Don't get me wrong. I have hugely fond memories of playing games since I could put an atari joystick in my hands but games have gotten so so much better since the early days. For every great game I remember there were 20 poo poo games that tricked me out of my hard won paperroute money. Now it seems like the majority of games I buy and play are at least enjoyable but you talk to some people and all they remember is the fun they had with the good games back in the day.

It's a little sad to me sometimes when I try to go back and play some old game like Dragon Warrior and think to myself how did I put up with this grindy no-story POS back in the day?

Sadly you can have the exact same conversation about Music, movies, TV or even freaking sports. Somehow the gold age of whatever entertainment you were into just happened to hit during that person's formative years.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Probably the main problem with games then versus games now is that games now are focused more on serving broader audiences rather than more specific niches, due in large part to budgets being what they are. Which is different than saying that modern games are all terrible and older games were all great, there are plenty examples that prove the opposite. What Kickstarter is doing, and why I like it so much, is that it's bringing back the idea of tailoring games to serve specific niches. In my case, that would be hardcore RPGs that focus on strategic, party-based combat and great gobs of text.

But I'll still play Dragon Age 3 if it's not a steaming pile like DA2 was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darkhold posted:

I don't want to get into the middle of this particular argument but people just remember games as so much better than they were. I once was pretty much shouted at on another board years ago because someone posted a topic 'Are games getting worse?' and I was the only one in the thread that believed that they really had gotten so much better just within my lifetime. UIs are better, Graphics are better and with some exceptions most games have a least some story as opposed to the majority having a story that could be written on a postage stamp.

Don't get me wrong. I have hugely fond memories of playing games since I could put an atari joystick in my hands but games have gotten so so much better since the early days. For every great game I remember there were 20 poo poo games that tricked me out of my hard won paperroute money. Now it seems like the majority of games I buy and play are at least enjoyable but you talk to some people and all they remember is the fun they had with the good games back in the day.

It's a little sad to me sometimes when I try to go back and play some old game like Dragon Warrior and think to myself how did I put up with this grindy no-story POS back in the day?

Sadly you can have the exact same conversation about Music, movies, TV or even freaking sports. Somehow the gold age of whatever entertainment you were into just happened to hit during that person's formative years.

It's a fallacy to say either absolute is true, though. There are absolutely worthwhile elements from the past that have been lost and there are many other things that have improved massively since then. Level design is not as big a priority as it was just 10 years ago; you just don't see the huge, complex levels of Thief or DOOM anymore, in any games. There are entire genres from the 80s and 90s that barely exist today and are only just now being revived thanks to things like Kickstarter and digital download services. On the other hand, we've seen far too many mechanical advances to count that make playing games way more convenient than it was back then. Design-wise, we see things in modern games that we wouldn't ever have dreamt of 20 years ago.

Point is, it's not a one-way street at all and it's very much a grey area, since general trends in games have changed so much in so little time. The best FPS of the 90s barely resembles the best FPS of the 2000s, and it's perfectly reasonable to prefer one over the other without automatically being a victim of nostalgia - which is a completely nebulous term to begin with, I might add.

If I didn't love the poo poo out of many modern games, I wouldn't be posting here right now. That doesn't mean everything ever has empirically improved and we have to discard everything from the past.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 23, 2013

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

Necroneocon posted:

I use ME as a recent example of lovely RPGs that people crow over as if they were actually RPGs but I can go back to pretty much RPG after DA1 was created if you'd like.

The point is this, and gasp, the ToN devs agreed with me in a long email exchange we had. RPGs have been going down the wrong road for a while, this game and Wasteland 2 is a chance to fix it. You're speculating on a question like Philosophy 101 people. Wait and see what they present beforeyou go :smug: What does one life matter? Well whatevs. Text in my game? Feh. No female character like Miranda (or, to make NihilCredo happy) Morrigan's boobs hanging out? No thanks *goes back to Call of Duty*

For older gamers, RPGs were about the story, experience and the unique and memorable characters. What RPGs have been turding out these past years have avoided that.

Divinity 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution are both better than the generic snooze that's DA1 even though they're not quite on par with classic rpgs.

Darkhold posted:

I've played many classic games in the late 2000's (for example Deus Ex, which many people claim I have nostalgia goggles for while I finished it in 2010, Planescape Torment, and Fallout 2), and to not see the downslide in the quality of AAA releases is just weird. UIs are better? Many games nowadays have gigantic bulky round UIs, as opposed to something minimal and elegant.

The RTS genre is 90% dead, every FPS with a multiplayer nowadays insist on being an MMO hybrid with infinite grinding to unlock weapons (not to mention that even if it's sci fi it still boils down to the same generic machinegun-sniperrifle-shotgun arsenal as opposed to bothering with any remotely new weapon ideas), and compare the amount of RPGs and AAA RPGs released, and their quality, to the late 90s and early 00s.

Yeah, there's plenty of stuff that wouldn't be possible back then, and there are tons of smaller developers making quality games, and not every AAA game is garbage, but to deny that the golden age of gaming was in the late 90s and early 00s is just silly.

Xaziel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 23, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a fallacy to say either absolute is true, though. There are absolutely worthwhile elements from the past that have been lost and there are many other things that have improved massively since then. Level design is not as big a priority as it was just 10 years ago; you just don't see huge, complex levels of Thief or DOOM anymore, in any games. There are entire genres from the 80s and 90s that barely exist today and are only just now being revived thanks to things like Kickstarter. On the other hand, we've seen many mechanical advances that make playing games way more convenient than it was back then. Design-wise, we see things in modern games that we wouldn't ever have dreamt of 20 years ago.

Point is, it's not a one-way street at all.
Doom? Whenever I tried to play that game back in the day I'd always end up quitting because every level turned into a boring maze where everything looked the same. It wasn't until Half Life that I actually enjoyed a shooter FPS. I'd say most FPS's now adays have vastly better level design. Thief is more memorable to me because it was the exception of the time which is exactly what Drifter was talking about when he mentioned outliers. I'd argue that Dishonored is the modern day equivalent to Thief.

There are of course genres that went extinct or have been on life support for ages now. I always did feel bad for people into point-n-click adventure games. That must have sucked for years.

The average quality of games (IMO at least) has increased in just about every measurable way for me. I don't think I'll ever have the same joys I had twenty years ago playing Contra or Baldur's Gate but it that just means I'm older and that I remember the exceptions to the rule. I couldn't even name 10 of the mediocre games that sat unplayed in my little game box.

Not to say it's exclusively a one way street as you say. Just better on average.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Hakkesshu posted:

Level design is not as big a priority as it was just 10 years ago; you just don't see the huge, complex levels of Thief or DOOM anymore, in any games.

:darksouls: would like a word with you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darkhold posted:

Doom? Whenever I tried to play that game back in the day I'd always end up quitting because every level turned into a boring maze where everything looked the same. I'd say most FPS's now adays have vastly better level design. Thief is more memorable to me because it was the exception of the time which is exactly what Drifter was talking about when he mentioned outliers. I'd argue that Dishonored is the modern day equivalent to Thief.

DOOM is one of the most revered games of all time and still has an active community to this day. There are things that appeal to me about that game that I generally do not see in modern games, even ones from the same lineage like Serious Sam. You can quantify these things and point to the fact that level design has changed in some pretty drastic ways; more specifically that modern games are based in facsimiles of real places rather than abstract mazes, as you call them. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's perfectly reasonable to feel dismayed that very, very few modern games cater to that specific taste. That doesn't mean I'm being biased, since I can point to dozens of games from that time whose level designs were loving awful by comparison, including DOOM 2.

It's funny that you mention Dishonored, since that game is absolutely also an outlier in terms of the type of game it is and how complex its levels are.

Darkhold posted:

Not to say it's exclusively a one way street as you say. Just better on average.

That's debatable and most likely unquantifiable. You might have a better chance of going into a store and picking up a game you'll definitely like today, but there are so many more games being made and the barrier to entry for game development is so much higher that it's only natural that the median quality would also be higher in some spaces. I can flip it around and say that you only have to look at 90% of the iOS app store to find the worst, most low-effort pieces of shovelware you'll ever see in your life.

BenRGamer posted:

:darksouls: would like a word with you.

You're right, of course. I probably should have said shooters, but then I thought of STALKER and was owned by my own mind.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 23, 2013

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

DOOM is one of the most revered games of all time and still has an active community to this day. There are things that appeal to me about that game that I generally do not see in modern games, even ones from the same lineage like Serious Sam. You can quantify these things and point to the fact that level design has changed in some pretty drastic ways; more specifically that games are based in facsimiles of real places rather than abstract mazes, as you call them. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's perfectly reasonable to feel dismayed that very, very few modern games cater to that specific taste. That doesn't mean I'm being biased, since I can point to dozens of games from that time whose level design was loving awful by comparison, including DOOM 2.

It's funny that you mention Dishonored, since that game is absolutely also an outlier in terms of the type of game it is and how complex its levels are.

That's debatable and most likely unquantifiable. You might have a better chance of going into a store and picking up a game you'll definitely like today, but there are so many more games being made and the barrier to entry for game development is so much higher that it's only natural that the median quality is higher. I can flip it around and say that you only have to look at 90% of the iOS app store to find the worst, most low-effort games you'll ever see in your life.

I find it silly to talk about level designing with someone saying "Whenever I tried to play that game back in the day I'd always end up quitting because every level turned into a boring maze where everything looked the same." about Doom.

About Serious Sam, it's amusing when people claim that it's the Doom/Quake of today even though it really has little to do with those aside from also being fairly old school. It kind of does its own thing where most levels are giant arenas and to win you have to dance around with a handful of different enemies prioritizing targets and managing your ammo. It was very refreshing to see a game like SS3 come out recently.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The only change I've noticed (other than the graphical increases and the proliferation of specific tropes like quicktimes, reviving allies, and blood spattered screens) is that AAA games are getting more macho, gritty, and samey. Like a comic book.

But then I thought about it and realized American-developed games have always been like that, it's just that more and more big-name games have been western.

As for Mass Effect, I didn't play the second 2 games because of bad word of mouth, but the first one had excellent writing. My problem with it was more in the visuals and how scenes were presented.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hakkesshu posted:

DOOM is one of the most revered games of all time and still has an active community to this day. There are things that appeal to me about that game that I generally do not see in modern games, even ones from the same lineage like Serious Sam. You can quantify these things and point to the fact that level design has changed in some pretty drastic ways; more specifically that modern games are based in facsimiles of real places rather than abstract mazes, as you call them. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's perfectly reasonable to feel dismayed that very, very few modern games cater to that specific taste. That doesn't mean I'm being biased, since I can point to dozens of games from that time whose level designs were loving awful by comparison, including DOOM 2.
Well I guess if you are a big fan of mazes you are pretty screwed. I'd still say that for the majority of people level design has improved overall.

quote:

This was my point. Thief and Dishonored are both the outliers of their day which is why they are memorable.

quote:

That's debatable and most likely unquantifiable. You might have a better chance of going into a store and picking up a game you'll definitely like today, but there are so many more games being made and the barrier to entry for game development is so much higher that it's only natural that the median quality would also be higher in some spaces. I can flip it around and say that you only have to look at 90% of the iOS app store to find the worst, most low-effort pieces of shovelware you'll ever see in your life.
None of this really refutes anything? Budgets have gone up the quality of non-shovelware games have gone up. Just because there's junk that would have been on a '10,000 video games on one CD' or confined to someone's basement in the 90's doesn't really speak to the quality of most releases unless you're casting the widest net possible when talking about 'games'. If my average chance of picking up a fun game at the store has gone up the quality of games have gone up for me and the majority of people.

Jewel Repetition posted:

As for Mass Effect, I didn't play the second 2 games because of bad word of mouth, but the first one had excellent writing. My problem with it was more in the visuals and how scenes were presented.
You've denied yourself some good games because of internet spergs. They're far from perfect but they're great games.

Edit: on re-reading your post I guess how things were presented took a definite nose dive so if that was your issue with the first game that did get worse and maybe not a good buy for you.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I actually think ME2 is the best overall entry in the series:

-Better combat than ME1
-Better ending than ME3
-Less RPG elements than ME1, but no inventory management hassles
-Worse soundtrack than ME1, but still really good
-Vignette stories were more interesting to me than the all-out war plot of ME3
-Better graphics than ME1
-Better Illusive Man usage than ME3

The only real knock on ME2 is that it streamline the RPG elements and focused more on cover-shooting action. Still a really great game, though.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, ME2 was a big improvement for me all-around (ME3 was where things got a little too wonky outside of co-op), so I'd be interested to hear how things were presented worse in it than in ME1. For that matter, I didn't notice bad presentation of scenes in the first game either, so enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
This thread's back on ME again? :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ we'd be all over you if we could, Brother None. :glomp:

Jewel Repetition posted:

The only change I've noticed (other than the graphical increases and the proliferation of specific tropes like quicktimes, reviving allies, and blood spattered screens) is that AAA games are getting more macho, gritty, and samey. Like a comic book.

But then I thought about it and realized American-developed games have always been like that, it's just that more and more big-name games have been western.

I may be very wrong but I think there is a lot of external characterization in games because they're being sold as spectacles. As well as also writing to and reinforcing standard stereotypes because they're the least effortful to write.

I think that most people, when they think of a game as a 'spectacle', tend to equate it to the way a movie becomes a spectacle. You know the character is a badass because you've just shown him to have 5-o'clock shadow and a rough, smoker's voice and a grumpy, get-the-gently caress-away-from-me dialog bark. If there's no dramatic music cue it's not important.

It goes back to the mentality of treating games like an uninteractive medium, like a movie or a comic. People have a whole Show-Don't-Tell idea about this thing, but the best games have an Act-Don't-Show/Tell. Empathy versus Sympathy, I guess. It's just really bad when it's done poorly, or written poorly.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 23, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Android Blues posted:

I guess I should go back to Call of Duty. Christ, but this is an awful post.

e: I feel like I wanna add more content here, so - painting everyone who likes a thing you don't as misogynist Call of Duty-lovers is pure nerd tribalism. Backing up your semi-literate smugness with "I had a long e-mail conversation, subordinate clause gasp, with the developers and they say I'm right!" is crass. And oh my God, I just noticed you said "turding out". Everything about the things you have written here is just so bad.

Just because you have low self esteem you don't have to defend yourself so much and read into everything. You address nothing in the post about recent RPG's poor writing and hyper-sexualism. So i'm just going to say your post was pretty bad and super defensive.

This isn't about being holier-than-thou, so I don't know why people need to be defensive when subordinate clause gasp, people don't like your favorite game series. That's nerd tribalism. You know a game that had great writing and was a recent RPG? Fallout: New Vegas. You all really don't need to get all NMA in a discussion where people actually want great writing, great characters and a great plot (I'll give you one thing, Garrus is memorable, so was Thane.) This whole thing originated from goons going "One does one life matter? feh" as if it was the end all be all of the game. That's just dumb.

And for the person who said DA1 was a snoozefest, I guess you really didn't like BG1 or 2, because to say of all games, Alpha Protocol was better is :psyduck:, but hey, whatever floats your boat.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xHSeZqLpY

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

Necroneocon posted:

Just because you have low self esteem you don't have to defend yourself so much and read into everything. You address nothing in the post about recent RPG's poor writing and hyper-sexualism. So i'm just going to say your post was pretty bad and super defensive.

This isn't about being holier-than-thou, so I don't know why people need to be defensive when subordinate clause gasp, people don't like your favorite game series. That's nerd tribalism. You know a game that had great writing and was a recent RPG? Fallout: New Vegas. You all really don't need to get all NMA in a discussion where people actually want great writing, great characters and a great plot (I'll give you one thing, Garrus is memorable, so was Thane.) This whole thing originated from goons going "One does one life matter? feh" as if it was the end all be all of the game. That's just dumb.

And for the person who said DA1 was a snoozefest, I guess you really didn't like BG1 or 2, because to say of all games, Alpha Protocol was better is :psyduck:, but hey, whatever floats your boat.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xHSeZqLpY

To quote myself, "obviously it's not the only thing that's the game going to have and be about, and obviously I'm looking forward to the game myself (as I said I pledged), but I'm criticizing the simplicity of the driving question and how the answer is really obvious up ahead unlike that of PST.".

No one was acting like it's the only thing that's going to be in the game.

Also about DA1, how is that game anything but generic? "An ancient evil awakens", "Darkspawn", dragons. And you're complaining about RPGs being overly sexualized while praising dragon age?

Xaziel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 23, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Shut up you nancy loving idiots.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alpha Protocol is pretty great but it would have benefited from being a traditional shooter instead of going the RPG route like Deus Ex. Using that one SIE scene is a stupid example. It's like saying Dragon Age was dumb then linking the myriad of poorly animated sex scenes in that game. But that's the thing with niche games, you either love them or you hate them. Torment having the reactive storytelling Alpha Protocol has would make it something really special.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Necroneocon posted:

I played the poo poo out of the SSI gold box D&D games, Bard's Tale, Wizardries, etc, and I cannot recall the name of anybody in my parties, or in any of the games' NPC cast.

Except for Queequeg

Basically I'm saying that you're a child if you think that was what "older gamers" took away from older games, because I strongly doubt you played any "older" games.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 23, 2013

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah very few rpgs are about "story, experience and the unique and memorable characters" and the ME games sure as hell qualify for that small pool. I mean it's cool if you don't like them but that's no true scotsman poo poo

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

coyo7e posted:

I played the poo poo out of the SSI gold box D&D games, Bard's Tale, Wizardries, etc, and I cannot recall the name of anybody in my parties, or in any of the games' NPC cast.

Except for Queequeg

Basically I'm saying that you're a child if you think that was what "older gamers" took away from older games, because I strongly doubt you played any "older" games.

He's clearly referring to late 90s/early 00s RPG games.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Xaziel posted:

He's clearly referring to late 90s/early 00s RPG games.
Ahh, the vaunted 25 year-old "older gamer" crowd..?

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Ahh, the vaunted 25 year-old "older gamer" crowd..?

Young medium.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Necroneocon posted:

You address nothing in the post about recent RPG's poor writing and hyper-sexualism.

I just find it funny that people are complaining about the hypersexualisation of characters in modern games in this thread when Planescape had Annah. Have you seen her character art? Really? Had she been rendered with today's graphics she'd put almost any female not named Kaine to shame for the ridiculous level of sexualisation in her outfit. Games have always had questionable attitudes with regards to the depictions of women relative to men, I don't think it's got any worse.

They don't necessarily have to get rid of it though, just be more equal in portrayals. You could deobjectify the women or, rather than deobjectifying the women, objectify the men as well as the women. That'd be fine too. Have massive breasted sorceresses fighting half-naked greased-up warriors with the kind of chiselled abs that would make Arnie weep.

Essentially, I just want a good Conan the Barbarian game.

EDIT: I will admit that Bioware focus on sex itself to an unhealthy degree, but I don't buy that that's a general trend in RPGs outside of that company.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 23, 2013

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
It wasn't just Annah, pretty much every female character in PS:T except the old ladies had giant titties and revealing outfits.

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I just find it funny that people are complaining about the hypersexualisation of characters in modern games in this thread when Planescape had Annah. Have you seen her character art? Really? Had she been rendered with today's graphics she'd put almost any female not named Kaine to shame for the ridiculous level of sexualisation in her outfit. Games have always had questionable attitudes with regards to the depictions of women relative to men, I don't think it's got any worse.

They don't necessarily have to get rid of it though, just be more equal in portrayals. You could deobjectify the women or, rather than deobjectifying the women, objectify the men as well as the women. That'd be fine too. Have massive breasted sorceresses fighting half-naked greased-up warriors with the kind of chiselled abs that would make Arnie weep.

Essentially, I just want a good Conan the Barbarian game.

EDIT: I will admit that Bioware focus on sex itself to an unhealthy degree, but I don't buy that that's a general trend in RPGs outside of that company.

What inequality are you talking about my friend? Have you see what the nameless one is wearing (not to mention you're not allowed to dress him up!)?

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Xaziel posted:

What inequality are you talking about my friend? Have you see what the nameless one is wearing (not to mention you're not allowed to dress him up!)?

Well, to be fair, The Nameless One is the ugliest motherfucker ever.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Darkhold posted:

Doom? ... It wasn't until Half Life that I actually enjoyed a shooter FPS.
Same. If it had not been for HL and then Deus Ex I probably would not have ever gotten into FPS games at all.

CottonWolf posted:

Have massive breasted sorceresses fighting half-naked greased-up warriors with the kind of chiselled abs that would make Arnie weep.
Oh Dragon Wars...

:allears:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Xaziel posted:

Touche. He's not exactly designed to be sexually attractive though. Unless it's just that I can't appreciate good scar tissue.

FRINGE posted:

Oh Dragon Wars...

:allears:

Exactly that!

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Touche. He's not exactly designed to be sexually attractive though. Unless it's just that I can't appreciate good scar tissue.

Exactly that!

But he's so mysterious and experienced...

funky not a junkie posted:

Well, to be fair, The Nameless One is the ugliest motherfucker ever.

If so then so is annah. :unsmith:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It wasn't just Annah, pretty much every female character in PS:T except the old ladies had giant titties and revealing outfits.

Low class female citizen, upper, and annah

Fall from Grace was decent though

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Xaziel posted:

If so then so is annah. :unsmith:

No way man, Annah is hoooooooootttttttttttttttttt :downs::fh:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

coyo7e posted:

Except for Queequeg

She and yes I have. Thanks. Female gamer doesn't like oversexualized things. News at 11 where we discover female gamers are older than you think! Whoa!

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

No way man, Annah is hoooooooootttttttttttttttttt :downs::fh:

So is TNO. :yaycloud:

Necroneocon posted:

She and yes I have. Thanks. Female gamer doesn't like oversexualized things. News at 11 where we discover female gamers are older than you think! Whoa!

I like how you act as if your gender allows you to speak for your entire gender.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

coyo7e posted:

Except for Queequeg
As in the Queequeg v Pequod war? Thats not that old... :v:

edit: Scifi games need more educational/awareness things thrown in like that. Even though DX2 was not well loved, that little mini story I found entertaining for the time it was released.

DX4 should take on the tentacle monster:

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 24, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
:stare: the female characters in Planescape Torment make Mass Effect 3 look like GRAW 2. No PST fan is ever allowed to talk smack about Bioware's female character design ever again.

Xaziel
Mar 21, 2013

2house2fly posted:

:stare: the female characters in Planescape Torment make Mass Effect 3 look like GRAW 2. No PST fan is ever allowed to talk smack about Bioware's female character design ever again.

That picture, so funny what companies do for the sake of appealing to feminist rhetoric. Because we all know that females make up 50% of the armed forces, and if it's not 50/50 then it's sexist.

Also it's not simply about how the characters look, it's about how they act as well. And regardless, making the main criticism of modern RPGs (or modern Bioware RPGs) sexuality is completely missing the point of what makes them inferior to RPGs of olde.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

2house2fly posted:

BG2 is the only Bioware game I spent any significant amount of time with and, in regards to Aerie and Imoen, let me just say that while their designs aren't very sexualized(from what I can remember) the characters themselves are really annoying and unbearable and the game didn't do a very good job of making me feel like I should rescue Imoen.

edit: somehow i accidentally deleted like half my post. wooops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Xaziel posted:

That picture, so funny what companies do for the sake of appealing to feminist rhetoric. Because we all know that females make up 50% of the armed forces, and if it's not 50/50 then it's sexist.

It's showing that there's female versions of each class.

• Locked thread