Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

Hey, Mort didn't used to be this bad at drawing!

Immersion Ruined

When did we see him draw before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

When did we see him draw before?

Here

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=304

monkifish
May 14, 2009

I'm 98% sure those exact same ghosts were in a joke book I had as a kid. I mean in the same poses and everything. Mort's been tracing :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh of course that was the exact same page that was linked before to show when Annie and Kat last drew something. :downs:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I prefer Mort's old comic. Not because of the joke, but because of the subtle nod to his origins.

The cursive script he uses is one that a English schoolboy in the early 1900s would have been taught, say at about the age of 16 or so

Arianya fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 23, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Conot posted:

I prefer Mort's old comic. Not because of the joke, but because of the subtle nod to his origins.

The cursive script he uses is one that a English schoolboy in the early 1900s would have been taught, say at about the age of 16 or so

Man, it's the cursive script I was taught in school, age seven.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

MikeJF posted:

Man, it's the cursive script I was taught in school, age seven.
Why would you put that in spoiler tags? Unless... you are Mort :tinfoil:

But yeah, I was taught to write this way too, at six.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cyphoderus posted:

Why would you put that in spoiler tags? Unless... you are Mort :tinfoil:

But yeah, I was taught to write this way too, at six.

Yeah well you could be a hundred years old.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Conot posted:

Doesn't everyone learn how to write like that? Speaking as a 24 year old British person.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah it's how I was taught to write. I then had to unlearn it because my penmanship is atrocious and un-joined-up writing is the only way anyone can read my handwriting

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I was taught cursive in 3rd grade and then it was promptly never used or mentioned again. At least where I'm from (Washington State) no one uses cursive for anything but signatures.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah it's how I was taught to write. I then had to unlearn it because my penmanship is atrocious and un-joined-up writing is the only way anyone can read my handwriting

Yeah I mostly write in print now (unless I'm just scribbling notes for myself) but I wrote joined-up through the whole of school.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GodFish posted:

I was taught cursive in 3rd grade and then it was promptly never used or mentioned again. At least where I'm from (Washington State) no one uses cursive for anything but signatures.
2nd grade: "You need to learn cursive, all adults use cursive."
3rd grade onward: "Just use print. It's way more legible and nobody uses cursive."

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Elysiume posted:

3rd grade onward: "Just use print. It's way more legible and nobody uses cursive."

It's a nice thing to know how to read and the best way to teach it is to make kids learn how to write it. They're phasing out teaching it though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yet another unknown difference between us and the yanks revealed.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Elysiume posted:

Word for word my teachers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Elysiume posted:

I use cursive sometimes still, it's like having my own secret code.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yet another unknown difference between us and the yanks revealed.

I'm in the US and they gave us the same spiel. "College teachers won't even accept your papers if you don't write in cursive!" they said.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

GodFish posted:

Elysiume posted:

Lucky you. I had random teachers from 4th grade through 12th that would get pissy if you didn't use cursive. I think the worst one actually refused to grade anything in print and would just give you a zero. Of course once I got into college no one gave a poo poo.

The little bit of Russian I audited in college taught me that Russian handwriting is some whacked out poo poo though. "d" looks like a cursive English "g," "g" is some squiggle, "t" looks like a cursive "m" and so on. If I remember the what the prof said correctly, they don't use print except for stuff made on printing presses or computers or whatever, all the handwriting is done in cursive.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Lucky you. I had random teachers from 4th grade through 12th that would get pissy if you didn't use cursive. I think the worst one actually refused to grade anything in print and would just give you a zero. Of course once I got into college no one gave a poo poo.

How does that even work? There's a pretty messy squiggly line between cursive and print.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went to a private school, and they made me use cursive from third grade or so (don't remember exactly). Wouldn't accept anything not in cursive, and eventually I just started writing solely in it unless asked otherwise.

When I went to high school everyone used print and my teachers were baffled by my always writing in cursive. Over time I started writing in print by default again.

(No matter what I wrote in my handwriting was, and is, atrocious, though.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I still practice my cursive regularly. (Not a great example of my handwriting, but it's a pretty green ink).

Mort's drawing has probably gone downhill because he's still not used ot these modern ball-points.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Mort's drawing has probably gone downhill because he's still not used ot these modern ball-points.

Exactly. He's a bit disoriented because now he has to work with a different Medium.

:rimshot:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Cat Mattress posted:

Exactly. He's a bit disoriented because now he has to work with a different Medium.

:rimshot:
Booooo!

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I still practice my cursive regularly. (Not a great example of my handwriting, but it's a pretty green ink).

A...a fellow calligraphy aficionado?

Oh my..

Totally better than Mort's jokes this time around :colbert:

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I know this may be somewhat blasphemous, but regarding the whole Reynard targeting Annie thing...

Maybe Tom made a narrative decision at the time which doesn't reflect where he ultimately decided to take the character? Not everything it set it stone when you start writing, you know.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
He'd still need to, like, deal with it at some point rather than simply leave it there and pretend it never happened. And while she mostly ignores it Antimony's made clear she recalls the whole 'trying to kill her' bit before and that it's still hanging over their relationship.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

runwiled posted:

I know this may be somewhat blasphemous, but regarding the whole Reynard targeting Annie thing...

Maybe Tom made a narrative decision at the time which doesn't reflect where he ultimately decided to take the character? Not everything it set it stone when you start writing, you know.

It's possible, but I think it's a big enough plot point that there's a good chance it was in the first draft. Drafts and plots do change over time and webcomics in particular have stories that are released slowly compared to a novel. It's not my first guess, but it's rare I can figure out what Tom's doing more than 3 pages in advance.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think cursive has been phased out not so much as "block writing is better/legible" but "all business and professional documents are typed on computers anyway now". The US education system has just completely failed to adapt.

Remember kiddies, 20 years ago not everyone even HAD a home computer! Or even a typewriter!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 24, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I still hand-write a bunch of stuff because I like to despite using computers for at least twenty-five years (I'm 30). Fortunately my cursive is pretty drat legible.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear this has been the most adorable "break" Tom's done so far.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

I swear this has been the most adorable "break" Tom's done so far.

I dunno, something about this update is making me feel crabby.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I dunno, something about this update is making me feel crabby.

Stop being so shellfish.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Lets all clam down, we wouldn't want anyone to make anemones over such a small update.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Stop it. Stop all this nonsense.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
The fish puns had me thinking I'd wandered into the Homestuck thread by mistake.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yup, those puns were fishy alright, but no need to whale on the thread.

Anyway, regarding using cursive writing, that pretty much standard here in France. You pretty much only ever use print when you learn to write and cursive is deemed too difficult.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

This has been my favorite intermission so far.

I got taught cursive in third grade. I have never used it past that.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Those puns made me want to krill myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Let me just preempt all of this fish pun nonsense:

Kip Addotta posted:

It was April the forty-first
Being a quadruple leap year
I was driving in downtown Atlantis
My barracuda was in the shop
So I was in a rented stingray
And it was overheating

So I pulled into a Shell Station
They said I'd blown a seal
I said, "Fix the drat thing
And leave my private life out of it
Okay pal?"

While they were doing that
I walked over to a place called the Oyster Bar, a real dive
But I knew the owner
He used to play for the Dolphins
I said "Hi Gil"
You have to yell, he's hard of herring

Gil was also down on his luck
Fact is he was barely keeping his head below water
I bellied up to the sandbar
He poured me the usual

Rusty snail, hold the grunion
Shaken not stirred
With a peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich on the side
Heavy on the mako

I slipped him a fin
On porpoise
I was feeling good
I even dropped a sand dollar in the box for Jerry's squids
For the halibut

Well the place was crowded
We were packed in like sardines They were all there to listen to the big band sounds of Tommy Dorsal
What sole

Tommy was rockin' the place with a very popular tuna
Salmon Chanted Evening
And the stage was surrounded by screaming groupers
Probably there to see the bass player

One of them was this cute little yellowtail
And she's giving me the eye
So I figured this is my chance for a little fun
You know, piece of Pisces

But she said things I just couldn't fathom
She was too deep, seemed to be under a lot of pressure
Boy, could she drink
She drank like a . . .
She drank a lot

I said "What's your sign"
She said "Aquarium"
I said "Great, let's get tanked"

I invited her to my place for a midnight bait
I said "Come on baby, it'll only take a few minnows"
She threw me that same old line
"Not tonight, I gotta haddock"

And she wasn't kidding either
Cause in came the biggest, meanest looking haddock
I'd ever seen come down the pike
He was covered with mussels

He came over to me and said
"Listen, shrimp, don't you come trollin' around here"
What a crab
This guy was steamed
I could see the anchor in his eyes

I turned to him, I said
"A-balone, you're just being shellfish"
Well, I knew it was going to be trouble and so did Gil
‘Cause he was already on the phone to the cods

The haddock hits me with a sucker punch
I catch him with a left hook
He eels over
It was a fluke but there he was
Lying on the deck, flat as a mackerel
Kelpless

I said "Forget the cods Gil
This guy's gonna need a sturgeon"
Well, the yellowtail was impressed with the way I landed her boyfriend
She came over to me, she said
"Hey, big boy, you're really a game fish
What's your name"
I said "Marlin"

Well, from then on we had a whale of a time
I took her to dinner, I took her to dance
I bought her a bouquet of flounders
And then I went home with her
And what did I get for my trouble
A case of the clams

There. Done. That covers all the fish puns.