Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I just got my first slime weapon and beat the living poo poo out of a giant red bird. He couldn't even leave the zone because everyone had a Dios weapon. Between the hammer, lance, gunlance, and dual blades he didn't even get a chance to walk. All his parts broke in the process which we weren't even aiming for, we just really hate how the Peco gets to summon annoying poo poo to draw out the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Where do Sharqs show up? I remember they were in area 11 in Moga Forest in the demo against the Plesioth, but now there's only Ludroths there.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I gave up trying to use the fish chart and tried to find out which table I'm on by matching up the few charms I've gotten with Athena's charm tables. I'm pretty sure I'm not on a bad one now, but I can't find one of my charms listed. It's called a Bishop Talisman and gives +5 Ranger skill and one slot. I can't find "Ranger" listed anywhere though, anyone know what's up with that?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cronodoculous posted:

I gave up trying to use the fish chart and tried to find out which table I'm on by matching up the few charms I've gotten with Athena's charm tables. I'm pretty sure I'm not on a bad one now, but I can't find one of my charms listed. It's called a Bishop Talisman and gives +5 Ranger skill and one slot. I can't find "Ranger" listed anywhere though, anyone know what's up with that?

Some of the skill names were changed in the re-translation.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Funkmaster General posted:

Some of the skill names were changed in the re-translation.

Any idea what it might be?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Level Slide posted:

Where do Sharqs show up? I remember they were in area 11 in Moga Forest in the demo against the Plesioth, but now there's only Ludroths there.

So, if the Mogu report showing anything other than tranquil for the 'North', the sharqs won't show up. It's a pain in the rear end.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Ranger is still in 3U and has the same name.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I just finished the fight with the Duramboros and holy poo poo that thing just wouldn't die. I was using the leader's shotels dual blades and it took me almost 45 minutes to finally kill him. I mean holy poo poo was it my weapons that were unsuited for the job or can I expect that from every monster from now on?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Karanas posted:

I just finished the fight with the Duramboros and holy poo poo that thing just wouldn't die. I was using the leader's shotels dual blades and it took me almost 45 minutes to finally kill him. I mean holy poo poo was it my weapons that were unsuited for the job or can I expect that from every monster from now on?

Duramboros the first time is... he isn't hard, but I have quite some Monster Hunter experience, and even though I wasn't really grinding for weapons, he took a while. I figure they were going for the endurance type of fight? I mean he isn't especially hard and easy to read when you know the signs, but he just has so much life. Also no, but High Rank monsters tend to be tougher and have maybe a couple new moves than their Low Rank counterparts, and can be difficult, but once you know your weapon and the tells of the monsters, they become easier.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I didn't mean to say he was hard, also it was the second shalashaska savior fight. I mean it did take all my healing items to beat him but that's because it took me so loving long to kill him. It's not like I could upgrade my shotels any further for the time being.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
My first durambos was pretty magical, I didn't know you could hammer the tail off but I had a hunch the first break wasn't the end of it. I was so goddamn excited when that cap popped off. I think we broke ever part on that monster.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I don't know if they changed it but in P3rd you can mine his tail when you first crack it. He has to do the spinning jump slam to get the prompt show up.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marogareh posted:

I don't know if they changed it but in P3rd you can mine his tail when you first crack it. He has to do the spinning jump slam to get the prompt show up.

I fought him last night, the mining option is still there. They give you sleep knives as well, so you might be able to sleep him then do it too.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Karanas posted:

I didn't mean to say he was hard, also it was the second shalashaska savior fight. I mean it did take all my healing items to beat him but that's because it took me so loving long to kill him. It's not like I could upgrade my shotels any further for the time being.

Duramboros is a wall of HP. Get up under him when he starts his big whirlwind attack and attack his legs with all you're worth. It'll make him topple over. Doesn't mean the fight'll go faster, but it'll sure make it a lot easier. Bring two traps and two rounds of barrel bombs. Not entirely sure what element(s) he's weak to, but I doubt it'd speed things along too terribly much.

Dude's an endurance run. I'm not looking forward to farming his armor and enough extra for Jupiter's Sphere.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you haven't played online with goons, please hop on IRC and do so. This afternoon I hopped into a hr2* group on a whim and next thing you know 4 hours have passed and we have killed a plesioth and I'm late for dinner.

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten this game... (Ill be running hr2* all week with goons helping out and farming up weapons of every element)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ChibiSoma posted:

Duramboros is a wall of HP. Get up under him when he starts his big whirlwind attack and attack his legs with all you're worth. It'll make him topple over. Doesn't mean the fight'll go faster, but it'll sure make it a lot easier. Bring two traps and two rounds of barrel bombs. Not entirely sure what element(s) he's weak to, but I doubt it'd speed things along too terribly much.

Dude's an endurance run. I'm not looking forward to farming his armor and enough extra for Jupiter's Sphere.

You should always have two traps and the materials to make two more with you any time you're going on a hunt, if only so you can make sure you trap something if you might not survive through a kill.

He's also not actually that bad to farm once you start getting him down. I got his armor in P3rd pretty quick, and mained the entire line of his hammers. Armor has drat good defense, enough to really even be worth using it against fire monsters.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

So, if the Mogu report showing anything other than tranquil for the 'North', the sharqs won't show up. It's a pain in the rear end.

That also works. I took the HR 1 mushroom mission at the port because it didn't have a Ludroth infestation, but the sharqs stopped coming in after a point and I had to wait a good long while for the gather points to respawn for me to get enough unique mushrooms :shepface:. Good thing only one sharqskin is needed for the mandatory village request...

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Level Slide posted:

That also works. I took the HR 1 mushroom mission at the port because it didn't have a Ludroth infestation, but the sharqs stopped coming in after a point and I had to wait a good long while for the gather points to respawn for me to get enough unique mushrooms :shepface:. Good thing only one sharqskin is needed for the mandatory village request...

Sharqs also spawn during the sunken treasures quest, they even give you harpoons in the supply box.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Holy crap I stressed myself out on this charm table thing. The fish table site finally loaded for me and it shows me in table 1. Now I can finally play with some drat conviction.

I played a hell of a lot of Tri, and I remember cultivating Stormsender Seeds was an awesome way to make money. Has this changed at all?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

ChibiSoma posted:

People always seem to forget that Duramboros's weakspot (his back) is pretty weak when he's unenraged, but when he's enraged it takes an absolute tonne of damage. He's also incredibly weak to fire. I'm pretty sure the rathian bow's artillery attack is wide area, and the bow is fire damage. See what I'm getting at?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I just did a couple Duramboros fights today, one of which I screwed myself out of a capture because I only brought one tranq (hurr). It's good to know that he's weak to fire, but I had no idea about the tail part. Using a longsword, I knocked him down plenty of times and broke practically everything on him, except his tail. I cracked the case, but wasn't sure if that was it.

Is there any method to actually slicing his tail off? Because I swear I did 80% of my damage to that area.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

dvorak posted:

I just did a couple Duramboros fights today, one of which I screwed myself out of a capture because I only brought one tranq (hurr). It's good to know that he's weak to fire, but I had no idea about the tail part. Using a longsword, I knocked him down plenty of times and broke practically everything on him, except his tail. I cracked the case, but wasn't sure if that was it.

Is there any method to actually slicing his tail off? Because I swear I did 80% of my damage to that area.

First its tail cracks, then the casing on the end pops off after enough wailing. Try attacking the end of the tail in particular. I don't think its tail comes off, at least I haven't chopped it off yet.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can only break the end of it twice.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Two questions: Where can I find carpenter bugs, and which pages in the Brady Games guide tells me where I can find bugs and fish for future reference?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are monster parts dropped by cutting tails/bashing faces/etc also obtainable by capturing the monsters without breaking the respective part? If not, can I still capture the monster after breaking the part and get the item, or do they have to die?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Two questions: Where can I find carpenter bugs,

Sandy plains is what i'm told but I always luck out in the cat base area in the cave on area 4 of Moga Forest. Usually get at least two everytime on that spot around that post in the center.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Two questions: Where can I find carpenter bugs, and which pages in the Brady Games guide tells me where I can find bugs and fish for future reference?

Do a Ctrl+f for carpenter.

You can get them in Moga woods free hunt areas 1-5 I found 4 bugs after gathering 10 different spawns

Can I get some tips for aiming the bow? Do just tap L before firing? What does more damage, firing as fast as I can or charging up the shots? What about the high angle shot, when is that useful?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 24, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

Sandy plains is what i'm told but I always luck out in the cat base area in the cave on area 4 of Moga Forest. Usually get at least two everytime on that spot around that post in the center.

That did the trick.

And I didn't even think to do a Find on the PDF. That's a good idea.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
So how exactly do rust shards work? I heard that the rust weapons have dragon element so I farmed up a couple rust shard at the volcano and they turned out to be useless starter weapons. How do I get the dragon weapons? Do I have to just keep trying, or are they impossible to get until high rank?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dinotron posted:

So how exactly do rust shards work? I heard that the rust weapons have dragon element so I farmed up a couple rust shard at the volcano and they turned out to be useless starter weapons. How do I get the dragon weapons? Do I have to just keep trying, or are they impossible to get until high rank?

Getting rusted weapons is random chance from shards. Sometimes it can be a goddamn pain.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How smooth is the gear progression? I have been just doing quests and rarely farming unless I just need one thing to make a new item. Does it ever get to a point where you can't progress without tons of side farming?

By farm I mean grind

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fauxtool posted:

How smooth is the gear progression? I have been just doing quests and rarely farming unless I just need one thing to make a new item. Does it ever get to a point where you can't progress without tons of side farming?

By farm I mean grind

Grinding is kind of the game, You can probably complete lowrank (the first difficulty if you will) without any. Head online its a ton of fun to just smash the ever loving poo poo out a of a monster even for the 5th time that night in 2-3 minutes.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

In this game, even grinding is fun.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Getting rusted weapons is random chance from shards. Sometimes it can be a goddamn pain.

Is it worth it to keep farming rust shards, or should I just keep progressing through the game? I've been doing just fine through the game so far. I'm mainly using a non-elemental Defender's Gunlance which I made from all the excess ore I had lying around from rust shard mining and so far I haven't found anything it cant' kill.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but go to the HR tundra gathering quest if you want carpenter bugs as well. I've had way more luck there than in Molga forest or Sandy plains and I've gotten close to 40 of them now.

Also the Goon run Brachy group, finally gave up after 16 kills and 10 captures. Everyone ran out of honey.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 24, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dinotron posted:

Now I just feel strange. Went to the volcano for the powderstone mission. "eh I'll mine; there's a lot here and nothing to do with this pick I've been carrying around"

Bam rust shard with a rusty hammer. It's my first Monster Hunter so just threw it in a box and shrugged it off :v:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Man, I just tried a bit of this and they changed the first dodge for the lance. I'm so used to it going straight to the left or right but now it curves, it blew my mind. It will be a few months though before I can play it myself...I hope I can stand to wait.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Fauxtool posted:

Do a Ctrl+f for carpenter.

You can get them in Moga woods free hunt areas 1-5 I found 4 bugs after gathering 10 different spawns

Can I get some tips for aiming the bow? Do just tap L before firing? What does more damage, firing as fast as I can or charging up theway shots? What about the high angle shot, when is that useful?

The bow is a lot of fun. As far as aiming, press R on the WiiU and you'll get a nice line showing you where your arrows will go. I find this is only useful on smaller monsters though, the larger ones you'll hit anyway at the proper range(You want to be juuuust outside melee range, i've found.) As far as charging goes, that all depends on what the bow has as its shots. My Rathian has Pierce lv 1, which is just like the bowgun shot, Spread lv 1 and spread lv 2. The first shoots out three arrows in a fan, the second shoots five; in this case it's better if I charge it. Keep in mind the Wroggi Revolver bow has an entirely different setup and I found shooting as fast as possible with that one to be the way to go.

As far as the arc shot goes, it seems to stun a lot more. I use it whenever i'm at the right range and no teammates are going to be hit by the blast.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ooh. Uh. That was new. Went to save/quit out of the game and it jumped me back to the 3DS' menu, saying an error had occurred and the system would restart. My save's still fine. I'm not sure what caused that. Never seen that happen before. I usually quit out to the title screen (with the save beforehand) before I shut the system off.

I checked and, thankfully, everything was still there. All my new Rathalos armor was there, anyway. Gettin' pretty good at killin' those things. Still lacking a helmet and boots. But I'm going towards Agnaktor, so I figured I'd make a proper fire resistant set. Best I have is Barroth, which is neutral. And it makes your stamina drain really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've beaten Lagiacrus online and off without the circle pad pro, so I guess I won't have to buy one.

That first Lagiacrus capture quest offline did a number on me though, drat jungle.

• Locked thread