Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

Sigma-X, he does not have a car, so he can't drive out, and the bus transportation is unreliable. He's also fairly broke, which is why he's at his mom's house for the moment, and also why he is applying pretty much everywhere, even fast-food joints.

if you get an interview at a place far away you can rent a car or bum a ride or otherwise figure it out.

Very few things in life are impossible, and most importantly, the time to determine whether or not it is worth it is when you have the opportunity.

If you do not give yourself the chance to have opportunities, you will not have them. This means you need to apply to jobs rather than assuming you can't make it to the interview.

e: have any of you applied for a job that isn't fast food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

Again, any company that really wants to hire him is probably willing to give him enough money to relocate. I'm not talking about further away fast food jobs, obviously they have to be a step above that before they'll consider it. However asking a new employer for enough money to relocate closer (just security deposit lets say) is not unreasonable. It is not very much compared to a person's wage and I'm sure lots of places are willing to do it.

I don't know what country you live in or what industry you work in, but this is not the norm for most entry level positions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BrainParasite posted:

I don't know what country you live in or what industry you work in, but this is not the norm for most entry level positions.

It doesn't even have to be entry level, as long as he can talk up the work he did in school/his internship(s) as relevant experience. I admittedly am in an industry where this is more common than most, but I have a hard time believing it is nonexistent for other fields. OP, do you have friends from school who have gotten jobs, preferably in fields you think you can speak to your ability in? I wouldn't hesitate to ask them as well, getting a foot in the door is a lot easier with an internal referral.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another thing, even if you aren't the least bit interested in a job(like selling insurance), accept interviews for doing it anyway. Interviewing is Hard and not intuitive and thus is something you will want practice at so you don't flub the ones you do want. They are valuable experiences in and of themselves.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 24, 2013

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Jeffrey posted:

It doesn't even have to be entry level, as long as he can talk up the work he did in school/his internship(s) as relevant experience. I admittedly am in an industry where this is more common than most, but I have a hard time believing it is nonexistent for other fields.

For the kinds of jobs you can get with an English degree and entry level experience? loving forget it.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

It doesn't even have to be entry level, as long as he can talk up the work he did in school/his internship(s) as relevant experience. I admittedly am in an industry where this is more common than most, but I have a hard time believing it is nonexistent for other fields.

You seem remarkably out of touch here.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Employee 1: "We need a entry-level arts grad to do this meaningless busywork now!"
Employee 2: "gently caress gently caress gently caress. Nobody around here can do that. We need an entry-level arts grad!"
*CEO busts through the door*
:byodood:: "I don't care who you have to fly in for this highly specialized job, but get someone in now!"

Babylon the Bright
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think it's pretty silly to suggest that there is much of a chance that he'll find a job that pays for relocation. At the same time, it's probably a good idea to expand the job search to include relatively nearby metro areas. Sure his mom won't drive him two and a half hours each way to actually work the job, but she might be willing to drive him to the interview. If he finds something, he can probably be set up in a cheap residential hotel or youth hostel by the first day of work (if he has $300 to loan his brother, he can cover rent in a lovely hotel till his first paycheck comes through). It does seem like needing something close to mom's house is getting in his way, so he should probably consider options further out. Anyway, this option has the benefit of getting him out of his parents house right away.

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!
Have you looked into teaching overseas? The pay isn't (usually) awesome, and sometimes you end up in the middle of nowhere, but it gets you the gently caress out of where you are and gives you a chance to live somewhere different for a while. Usually all they require is a university degree, though you'' be better off if you look into getting a TEFL, which only takes a month. I know some friends that had a semi-lovely time with it, but I also know some people that thought it was amazing. My cousins both went to Dubai to teach when they graduated and are both still over there, 6 and 2 years later. People that have actually done it could give you the ins and outs of how to make it happen, and tell you their own experiences, but seeing as how you are trying without success to find a Mcjob, I figured I should at least see if you have thought about that option.

If someone knows that it is impossible to get a teaching job overseas these days because everyone in the OP's position is trying for it, feel free to say so.

Sally Slug fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 24, 2013

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
15 minutes on foot seems pretty restrictive. Honestly, if Benny expands his search radius to 30 minutes or an hour, that would open up a lot more opportunities. Benny, is there a supermarket, Lowe's/Home Depot, Wal-Mart/Target or a similar big box near you?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Sally Slug posted:

Have you looked into teaching overseas? The pay isn't (usually) awesome, and sometimes you end up in the middle of nowhere, but it gets you the gently caress out of where you are and gives you a chance to live somewhere different for a while. Usually all they require is a university degree, though you'' be better off if you look into getting a TEFL, which only takes a month. I know some friends that had a semi-lovely time with it, but I also know some people that thought it was amazing. My cousins both went to Dubai to teach when they graduated and are both still over there, 6 and 2 years later. People that have actually done it could give you the ins and outs of how to make it happen, and tell you their own experiences, but seeing as how you are trying without success to find a Mcjob, I figured I should at least see if you have thought about that option.

If someone knows that it is impossible to get a teaching job overseas these days because everyone in the OP's position is trying for it, feel free to say so.

I made about $40,000 a year when I was in Japan. I'm actually going through the process to return. The only hard part for the OP is that you have to pay for your own flight over and have some money for start up costs.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sunshine89 posted:

15 minutes on foot seems pretty restrictive. Honestly, if Benny expands his search radius to 30 minutes or an hour, that would open up a lot more opportunities. Benny, is there a supermarket, Lowe's/Home Depot, Wal-Mart/Target or a similar big box near you?
It's not exactly "15 min. from home". I'm just trying to figure out locations to where I could best coordinate a route to where I could get from home to work and back again without having to commute for so long. I had to commute via buses to school. Took me an hour and a half and I had to hop three buses. The simpler and less time, the better.

And as for teaching overseas, well maybe. I'd assume the program would teach me the local language, right? English is the only language I know.

EDIT: I networked with an online marketer on Friday. Gave him my resume. And I stopped by the grinder place and they want to do an interview on Monday. I'm getting somewhere. Next I'm going to catch up on that political campaign that asked for an interview. And the Tilly's. Tilly's looks like a nice place to work at.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 24, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not exactly "15 min. from home". I'm just trying to figure out locations to where I could best coordinate a route to where I could get from home to work and back again without having to commute for so long. I had to commute via buses to school. Took me an hour and a half and I had to hop three buses. The simpler and less time, the better.

And as for teaching overseas, well maybe. I'd assume the program would teach me the local language, right? English is the only language I know.

EDIT: I networked with an online marketer on Friday. Gave him my resume. And I stopped by the grinder place and they want to do an interview on Monday. I'm getting somewhere. Next I'm going to catch up on that political campaign that asked for an interview. And the Tilly's. Tilly's looks like a nice place to work at.

if it was good enough for school it is good enough for a job.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I had to commute via buses to school. Took me an hour and a half and I had to hop three buses. The simpler and less time, the better.

What the hell else do you have to do with your time? You realize job experience is more important than your stupid english degree you are doing nothing with right?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Benny the Snake posted:

Took me an hour and a half and I had to hop three buses.

What the gently caress do you think commuting is? I think we've clarified there is no magical office 5min from your parents' house that is looking for your exact qualifications. Heaven forbid you have to take the loving bus to work. Jesus christ. How do you still have this entitlement? Three weeks into job searching I was talking to my teachers to see if I'm supposed to feel like a worthless piece of human poo poo because I can't get hired, not crossing off entire locations because welp, I'm too good to spend any time getting to work.

"Well Benny, we sure are glad you are applied. You're a perfect fit for the company."
"Thanks! I can't take the job though: it'd take me three buses to get here."
"........."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A 3 hour commute is excellent motivation to moving out also. Nothing like up to 2.5 more hours a day to yourself.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Jeffrey posted:

A 3 hour commute is excellent motivation to moving out also. Nothing like up to 2.5 more hours a day to yourself.

And on top of that, it lets him move out without any ill will. "Sorry Mum & Dad, I'm not moving out because I want to, we're cool now. But 3 hours commuting every day is too much and I like the job, so it makes sense to live closer."

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

1.5 hours is a long but reasonable commute for a grown up job, especially if you're taking public transport. That time on the bus, that's you time. You can read or write or look out the window. Maybe listen to music.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Sally Slug posted:

This is the best advice in this thread. You will make some money, be out of your parents' house, and be getting degree-relevant job experience all at the same time.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

BrainParasite posted:

1.5 hours is a long but reasonable commute for a grown up job, especially if you're taking public transport. That time on the bus, that's you time. You can read or write or look out the window. Maybe listen to music.
If public transportation here in So-Cal was as good as in New York or Boston, I'd have no problems with an hour and a half commute. But let me tell you-our system is terrible. If a bus beaks down, you can stand there for a good hour or more. That's why I'm focusing on employment that's less than an hour away via public transportaton commute. And besides, six places so far are hiring, all within easy access. I'm working with the best I can.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

If public transportation here in So-Cal was as good as in New York or Boston, I'd have no problems with an hour and a half commute. But let me tell you-our system is terrible. If a bus beaks down, you can stand there for a good hour or more. That's why I'm focusing on employment that's less than an hour away via public transportaton commute. And besides, six places so far are hiring, all within easy access. I'm working with the best I can.

"six places so far are hiring"

That was tuesday morning for me job hunting. Are you gonna have to be homeless on the street for awhile before you become hungry enough to actually try? You disgust me sometimes but not so much as the people coddling you trying to blame the economy for your failure when its clearly your lack of effort at this point in time.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ClemenSalad posted:

"six places so far are hiring"

That was tuesday morning for me job hunting. Are you gonna have to be homeless on the street for awhile before you become hungry enough to actually try? You disgust me sometimes but not so much as the people coddling you trying to blame the economy for your failure when its clearly your lack of effort at this point in time.

Shut. The. gently caress. Up.

Given the factors he's talked about, I think he's actually doing the right thing. If he gets a job and then loses it because he couldn't get there, it's going to make it that much harder for him to get the next one.

My father is far more qualified in his field than Benny is for his. He did what Benny's doing every day for six months before he got a job. So shut the gently caress up about how it's not about the economy. It is. Benny's doing his part.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

razorrozar posted:

Shut. The. gently caress. Up.

Given the factors he's talked about, I think he's actually doing the right thing. If he gets a job and then loses it because he couldn't get there, it's going to make it that much harder for him to get the next one.

My father is far more qualified in his field than Benny is for his. He did what Benny's doing every day for six months before he got a job. So shut the gently caress up about how it's not about the economy. It is. Benny's doing his part.

It won't make it harder. At absolute worst it doesn't help him because he won't put it on his resume, but he still has that experience in a work setting. He has nowhere to go but up. How do you read his posts and see "this guy is really trying, doin his part"?

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 24, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

razorrozar posted:

My father is far more qualified in his field than Benny is for his. He did what Benny's doing every day for six months before he got a job. So shut the gently caress up about how it's not about the economy. It is.

Guys, this guy's dad had trouble finding a job for six months, so obviously that's the economy for everyone. Guys, some college grads just got hired out of graduation, so obviously that's the economy for everyone. What should I believe? :ohdear:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

ClemenSalad posted:

That was tuesday morning for me job hunting.

How's your job search going? You seem frustrated.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

cda posted:

How's your job search going? You seem frustrated.

I got a job within 3 weeks of looking. Not really frustrated at all, more concerned with the OPs definition of trying. He has 2 interviews applying to a few places here or there, imagine if he actually took it seriously. The job market in his town is absolutely not the problem here.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ClemenSalad posted:

I got a job within 3 weeks of looking. Not really frustrated at all, more concerned with the OPs definition of trying. He has 2 interviews applying to a few places here or there, imagine if he actually took it seriously. The job market in his town is absolutely not the problem here.
I mean the county does have one of the highest unemployment rates in the state of California.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Wolfy posted:

I mean the county does have one of the highest unemployment rates in the state of California.

I know! Its almost like obsessing over those numbers can be misleading and counterproductive.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

OP, I'm on your side, finding a job is tough. But suck up the commute thing. You should expand your range to include jobs that have a long commute time.

I live in So-Cal and I had to deal with a 2-hour-each-way commute for 5 months when I found my current job. You know what I did? Sucked it up and had that 4 hours of my life eaten away every working day.

You know what it motivated me to do? loving move. And now I live 15 minutes from work and it's awesome. It was worth dealing the temporary bullshit of that situation because I was making money.

So, yes, expand your job search range.

Shieala
Aug 1, 2008
I thought I'd chime in with a bit more about the military option.

The OP talks about not wanting a long term commitment. I get that. But he also talks about wanting to focus on financial stability and improving his living situation. The military will do both of those things and will (usually) do a pretty good job at both although in my experience you have to be selective in what branch you go with.

The Army has the shortest minimum enlistment time at two years whereas all the other branches are at four years. Technically you actually enlist for eight years with whatever you don't sign up for in active duty time being served in IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) which is no drill, inactive time where you are only rarely called up for duty. The Army is the only branch that has called anybody up out of IRR at 5,000 soldiers so I wouldn't sign up for them.

I found the Air Force to have the best perks and the easiest basic training (I'm female though so it might be different for guys though it didn't seem super hard from the guys in our brother flight that I talked to) The AF also deploys to front line combat less due to its very nature. (A number of pilots flying combat or support missions and a whole buttload of support and maintenance crews that you DON'T want to have in a highly vulnerable position if you can help it)

In exchange for this time commitment you get a steady paycheck that starts before you're out of basic, free housing if you live on-base, food and housing allowance if you're not and crazy good education benefits while you're in and once you're out. Also five years of free medical once you're out and limited dental at the beginning of that.

And when I say a steady paycheck I don't mean minimum, at least not when you factor in your housing and food being paid for. An E-1 right after signing (so in basic or just after) makes 1516 a month without any allowances but has all of their housing and food needs taken care of. If you're single and have no dependents, that's not bad at all. If you do end up living off-base (pretty common stateside, depends on rank and time in overseas) the benefits usually cover pretty decent housing. The rates change depending on the cost of living in the area that you're stationed to though.

So, obviously the military isn't for everyone but it seems like its been written off a little too fast as an option. Certainly it'd get him in a different living arrangement and give him the chance to save quite a bit of money if he's smart and doesn't blow it on beer, random crap, or cars which is how most single enlisted people get rid of their paychecks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

I commute an hour-and-a-half each way to work right now. Which means getting up at 5 AM every day because the alternative is not getting home at a decent hour, and it turns out I'm pretty good at sleeping on the bus. And yeah, one of the legs of my trip is one where if you miss a bus or it is unavailable for some reason, it's an hour til the next trip.

Point is, even with the best public transit systems (and the one in Minneapolis, where I live, is arguably not the best, but it sure beats the hell out of some other places I've lived), there are always going to be inconveniences and hassles. The definition of a good (or at least adequate) public transit system is one that gets you where you want to go sooner or later, end of.

That said, were I in your shoes, I'd be focusing on the most convenient opportunities first too. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't stop there if something doesn't pan out.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

docbeard posted:

That said, were I in your shoes, I'd be focusing on the most convenient opportunities first too. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't stop there if something doesn't pan out.
Exactly the point I'm trying to make. I'll branch out within the next few weeks but right now I want to spend this week focusing on what's convenient.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ClemenSalad posted:

I know! Its almost like obsessing over those numbers can be misleading and counterproductive.

Are all the unemployed lazy layabouts or just English majors?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

BrainParasite posted:

Are all the unemployed lazy layabouts or just English majors?

Haha a liberal arts joke really?

Ops problem is not the major he got, he could have gotten any degree and be in a similar pickle. His problem is he never bothered to work so he's 23-24, 0 work experience and a degree he doesn't utilize.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 24, 2013

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Shieala posted:

I thought I'd chime in with a bit more about the military option.
So, obviously the military isn't for everyone but it seems like its been written off a little too fast as an option. Certainly it'd get him in a different living arrangement and give him the chance to save quite a bit of money if he's smart and doesn't blow it on beer, random crap, or cars which is how most single enlisted people get rid of their paychecks.

The thing is, at the moment with sequestration and horrible economy, the military is getting the pick of the liter and some folks are having to wait a year or more to get in. I'd say go for it if he thinks it'd work for him, but to be mindful that it may be tough to get in these days.

callmekat
Mar 24, 2013

ClemenSalad posted:

Ops problem is not the major he got, he could have gotten any degree and be in a similar pickle. His problem is he never bothered to work so he's 23-24, 0 work experience and a degree he doesn't utilize.

This is the reason why many college graduates are having a hard time finding work.

Even previous volunteer work or leadership positions in student organizations would help fill a resume.

OP, what were your college grades like? What area of the country do you live in?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

This is why, above all else, he needs to leverage the work experience he does have. I'm not sure if it is a good idea for him to post his resume but I'd definitely be interested if he did.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

OP, do you even know what you want to do, career wise? I understand the thread is currently focused on a getting you a job and getting you out of the house ASAP but you have a presumably expensive college degree, you should probably try to use it and sooner rather than later if you can. I think it's good you are trying to get some work and you should definitely keep trying, but from your posts in this thread I can't tell if you have any plans or ambitions for your future at all and it would be a shame for you to just get stuck somewhere if you don't have to.

You worked on political campaigns, do you want to go into politics, government or non-profit work? You were an English major and talked about freelancing, are you interested in writing as a career? Even if you are looking for any job right now to get some earning power, you should still be defining and thinking about your longer term goals because even if you work in retail now, there are still things you could do to try to advance yourself toward a career you want.

Have you thought about grant writing for non-profits? I know several people who started out doing that after college and there are a number of ways you can go. The friends I know who did that ended up as a travel writer, an editor and a development person. Also, if you are looking for something related to your degree, check out Mediabistro. They have quality job postings and they run networking events from time to time in the L.A. area. You can set up a search for jobs that open in your area and get it emailed to you every day.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ClemenSalad posted:

I'm sure you could find similar nits to pick with the other 12 million unemployed Americans.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

BrainParasite posted:

I'm sure you could find similar nits to pick with the other 12 million unemployed Americans.

Sure, let me know when any of this happens outside your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

The lovely employment situation in the US is not justification for the OP's lazy approach to the job hunt. In fact, it should be the opposite. When my brother was looking for a job he spent months looking for one, but one of his days was like the OP's week. If the OP keeps up his current rate of job search, he's going to be 30 and still at home with no job threatening to call the cops on his parents who are increasingly wondering at what point they can throw him out on the streets without having a job lined up because they're sick of his poo poo.

The OP's problem is, and has been, that he is really comfortable with his life and doesn't want to leave home because it is all he knows, and so he's not putting in the full effort on the job hunt.

• Locked thread