Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Wagonburner posted:

Laptop battery is like 20v. A phone battery or USB power pack thing is a single or several small parallel li- ion cells at li-ion native voltage of like 3.3-4.2. A 20v battery has 3.3v cells wired in series to equal 20. 6 cells is typical. Extended batts parallel like 3 more cells on.

If each of those cells were 6700mah 3.3v you'd have 6 6700mah phone batteries or one 6700mah laptop battery.

Edit: wait do you mean like a wall charger for a phone?

Nah I think you guys answered it. Was wondering what the differences were, a friend posted a particularly daft question on Facebook where he was complaining that the laptop batteries available had such a low charge amount compared to his stupid loving portable cell phone charger. I knew there was a huge difference but couldn't put it to words.

Install Gentoo posted:

Your laptop pulls somewhere between 40 and 130 watts depending on the exact model it is when charging.
Your phone pulls between 2 and 5 watts when charging

That is why. You're dealing with between 8 times the power to 65 times the power depending on which combination of laptop and phone you're comparing.

And that's before we get into how your laptop battery would be 6700 milliamp hours at around 19 volts which is 458,280 joules of energy versus a phone's battery at something like 2100 milliamp hours at 3.8 volts, which is only 28,728 joules. That means the laptop battery has roughly 16 times more energy stored, so that's why it costs more.

So to be clear though.. if my laptop says it has a capacity of 6700mAH and my cell phone charger says 6700mAH.

The mAH for the Laptop is actually rated comparatively against the power consumption of the Laptop.

So in laymans terms.. it's a difference in scale. Like a radio controlled car may travel at a 90 scale miles per hour, but in reality it's probably going something like 15 real miles per hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Christoph posted:

A friend of mine used to work at a gas station and occasionally a Philip Morris rep would come in and switch out the expired cigarettes for fresh ones. What do they do with the expired ones? Label them Decades?

Destroy them, probably by burning them. The actual cost of cigarettes is low enough that hiring Philip Morris Rep to burn cigarettes in a fire costs more than the cigarettes themselves. The company's supply is functionally infinite - they make more money by selling another, fresher pack of cigarettes than they do by selling old ones at a reduced price. In fact, they estimate that the damage to their brand that occurs when someone buys a stale pack of cigarettes actually costs them more than a pack of cigarettes costs to manufacture and distribute.

This isn't unique to the cigarette industry - I remember working at a CompUSA right around the time that the Ngage came out. We couldn't sell any, and, after a few months, we wanted to take them off the shelf. CompUSA exercised it's option to return the Ngages to the manufacturer for a refund - something that was built into whatever contract we had with them - but Nokia didn't want the loving things either. They sent us our refund, and asked us to send them proof that the Ngages were destroyed (not sold at a reduced rate, or given to an employee).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jet Ready Go posted:

So to be clear though.. if my laptop says it has a capacity of 6700mAH and my cell phone charger says 6700mAH.

The mAH for the Laptop is actually rated comparatively against the power consumption of the Laptop.

So in laymans terms.. it's a difference in scale. Like a radio controlled car may travel at a 90 scale miles per hour, but in reality it's probably going something like 15 real miles per hour?

Well 1000 milliamp hour means "could theoretically provide current of 1000 milliamps for one hour at voltage X". To find the amount of energy nominally stored you need the voltage too, if something provides 1000 milliamp hours with an output voltage of 0.1 volts, it's storing very little power. If it's doing the same at 120 volts it's storing a huge amount of power.

So looking at my laptop's battery, which is 11.1 volts and 5045 milliamp hours versus my phone's which is 3.8 volts and 2100 milliamp hours, the energy stored is 201,600 joules vs 28,728. If I had a 5045 milliamp hour battery to put in the phone instead, but still at the same voltage so the phone would work? That would still only be 69,015 joules. Even though the same milliamp hours, the much higher voltage times the milliamp hour storage means much more energy is there (and essentially, means that there's going to be physically more battery there!)

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Okay cool that's what I thought. Thank you!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

isoprenaline posted:

I make my own breakfast cereal out of rolled oats, bran sticks, sultanas and, sometimes, other dried fruits and nuts.
I pour them in one at a time creating stratas of the four or five types and then shake the jar to distribute them.

But no matter how I shake the distrubution is never quite even and you can get a bowl with one type predominating. Pouring them into the jar all in at once isn't practical.

So. What is the best way to shake a jar to evenly distribute different elements inside? Mathamatic or Physics explanations welcome.
Use a bigger container for your initial mixing. You want to have a lot of extra space leftover for things to move around in. Mix a few cups at a time in a gallon sized container and then pour the mix into your jars. It'll take a little longer, but you should get a more even distribution.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Kitty Green Lightning, what's the story there? I know she was in 'art school' at one point.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Does anyone have an opinion on whether CFLs or LEDs are a better idea for grow lights?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The main disadvantage of CFLs and LEDs vs incandescent is that they produce very peaky spectral power distributions, but it looks like that's actually ideal for plants since the photosynthesis process requires specific narrow wavelength bands. Since LEDs are even peakier than CFLs, and also more power efficient, it looks like they're likely to be the better choice as long as LEDs are available that can produce the appropriate spectra (which appears to be the case).

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

isoprenaline posted:

I make my own breakfast cereal out of rolled oats, bran sticks, sultanas and, sometimes, other dried fruits and nuts.
I pour them in one at a time creating stratas of the four or five types and then shake the jar to distribute them.

But no matter how I shake the distrubution is never quite even and you can get a bowl with one type predominating. Pouring them into the jar all in at once isn't practical.

So. What is the best way to shake a jar to evenly distribute different elements inside? Mathamatic or Physics explanations welcome.

Bad news: since your components all have different densities and packing factors (which combine into a property called "bulk density"), they will naturally tend to stratify themselves. You can observe this problem relatively easily in mixed nuts: when you open a container, the largest nuts will probably be at the top, since they have a smaller packing fraction (and therefore bulk density, true density being held equal) than the smaller nuts. By agitating your cereal, like mixed nuts get agitated in shipping, you're actually providing it with enough energy to reconfigure into the lowest energy state, which will be stratified. Obviously a certain amount of shaking will tend to mix things up, but if you shake too long you're going to start re-stratifying your cereal. Your best bet to try to get an even mix would probably be, as someone else said, to combine them in a container that is much bigger than necessary, so things have room to move, then give the cereal only a few (maybe five or ten) brisk shakes.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

isoprenaline posted:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Use a bigger container for your initial mixing. You want to have a lot of extra space leftover for things to move around in. Mix a few cups at a time in a gallon sized container and then pour the mix into your jars. It'll take a little longer, but you should get a more even distribution.

Larger things rise to the top and smaller things sink to the bottom. Think what would happen if you put rocks in a jar, then added sand and shook it. The sand would sink to the bottom. There will never be an even distribution. Use that knowledge to your advantage - put everything in a huge jar with a large mouth and shake it all about. Turn the jar on its side and scoop sideways through and you should get a more even mix of your goodies.

e: beaten with more accurate science, but we're all on the same page

TATPants fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 24, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

razz posted:

In most states the landlord is required by law to have a smoke detector in every room, so I'd at least bring it up with him/her before you take them down. That being said, all but one of the smoke detectors in my house are sitting in a drawer, haha.
Your advice to check with the landlord is good but I've never seen a house or apartment with smoke detectors in every room. A quick google search seems to say most (US) states require them in the hallways outside bedrooms, and you can have one for multiple bedrooms.. One in every room would be nuts.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dudebro posted:

Sweet, thanks! What can't VLC do :allears:

Play media files in a cpu efficient or visually optimal manner. :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are there any good OTC medicines for nausea that I could find in a Rite Aid or similar regular pharmacy? I currently buy and consume a lot of Nauzene chewables, which are small miracles, but I need something better. I'm down to buy just about anything. Also, are there any commonsense cures for nausea that might help mitigate its effects?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), and on the illegal side, Marijuana.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Another 24 question: when they're torturing suspects for information, they inject something into their neck. It seems to cause them pain. Does it have a real-world correlate? If so, what is it and what does it do?

Also why can't they use truth serum? Or is that not real?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
They could be injecting any number of substances, including just, you know, stabbing someone in the arm and injecting water. Sodium thiopental (a barbituate) is the closest analogue to a 'truth serum' but it is wildly unreliable, there is no such thing as truth serum.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

marshmallard posted:

Another 24 question: when they're torturing suspects for information, they inject something into their neck. It seems to cause them pain. Does it have a real-world correlate? If so, what is it and what does it do?

Also why can't they use truth serum? Or is that not real?

Sodium pentothal is colloquially referred to as 'truth serum'.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Reichstag posted:

They could be injecting any number of substances, including just, you know, stabbing someone in the arm and injecting water. Sodium thiopental (a barbituate) is the closest analogue to a 'truth serum' but it is wildly unreliable, there is no such thing as truth serum.

They inject it into their neck and they instantly react like they're in enormous amounts of pain. Is there something you can inject that causes pain like that, or is it just made up for 24?

I know they do make up some of the stuff they show, like 'voiceprints' - any linguistics student will tell you they don't exist.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

marshmallard posted:

They inject it into their neck and they instantly react like they're in enormous amounts of pain. Is there something you can inject that causes pain like that, or is it just made up for 24?

I know they do make up some of the stuff they show, like 'voiceprints' - any linguistics student will tell you they don't exist.

As I said, injecting anything into someone's bloodstream can cause enormous amounts of pain, and in specific there are innumerable substances which could escalate that. :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Reichstag posted:

As I said, injecting anything into someone's bloodstream can cause enormous amounts of pain, and in specific there are innumerable substances which could escalate that. :)

Oh I thought you meant they were injecting water to fool them into thinking they were injecting something. Injecting water into your bloodstream hurts, really? That's weird.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Water specifically, if injected properly, might not hurt too much over any saline solution, but my point is simply that if someone stabs you in the neck in a quick motion as they do in the show, it is going to hurt. And if they inject properly, any number of substances could be used to cause pain without permanent damage.
To expand on the 'truth serum' portion, barbituates and other intoxicants can only make a person more open to suggestion and less guarded. The idea of a 'truth serum' relies on a false notion that objective truth exists within the mind and can be extracted based on chemical alteration. In reality, all that can be done is to make someone less suspicious, which in practice generally means that they are intoxicated and less mentally stable. What this translates to is pretty much trying to extract information from a drunk person; they may end up telling you the truth, but their generally unreliable mental state makes any information you might get from them useless.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
That makes sense. I guess it'd be far too convenient if there was a 'truth' box in people's heads that could be unlocked with the right molecule.

I'm not planning to interrogate anyone, by the way, 24 just raises a lot of questions and I never know who to ask!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It expands to include people under duress in general. A person being tortured will eventually tell you whatever they think you want to hear in an attempt to stop the torture, which makes any information garnered useless.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Buh posted:

Can anyone recommend strategies for dealing with extreme nausea?
My friend's mother is going through chemo and is having difficulty eating. She's already on anti-nausea meds but they aren't doing enough so far. My friend has just put out a call to facebook for anything that might help and I'd appreciate any advice that I can pass on.
Thanks goons

Ginger works for me. The crystallized stuff is easy to eat if it is mild.

Does she have any medications for her nausea? Are they not working well?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

isoprenaline posted:

I make my breakfast cereal the same way, but I use bran flakes which makes shaking a bad idea because they'd just get all crushed and crumbled. I've found that the best way to mix it is to fill the container about ¾ and then just slowly rotate it in various directions for a while. The distinct layers you start with get tipped gradually so they spread out and the changing directions make stuff spread out in a fairly even way.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

marshmallard posted:

They made it up. I can't remember where I read it, but yeah. I think they gave it a name that was similar to sodium pentathol and had a quiet man called Burke who would magically inject people with torture.

24 got a bit silly like that.

edit: http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Hyoscine-pentothal
(Burke was apparently just one of several CTU interrogators, no idea why I remembered his name.)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 24, 2013

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

Are there any good OTC medicines for nausea that I could find in a Rite Aid or similar regular pharmacy? I currently buy and consume a lot of Nauzene chewables, which are small miracles, but I need something better. I'm down to buy just about anything. Also, are there any commonsense cures for nausea that might help mitigate its effects?

Mint herbal tea. You can buy something like this or just make your own with mint leaves and hot water.

If you buy something, make sure it's herbal tea (or tisane) and doesn't contain any actual tea, because real tea can exacerbate your nausea.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

randyest posted:

Your advice to check with the landlord is good but I've never seen a house or apartment with smoke detectors in every room. A quick google search seems to say most (US) states require them in the hallways outside bedrooms, and you can have one for multiple bedrooms.. One in every room would be nuts.

I don't think it's a law in Nevada, but yeah my apartment does have a detector in every room, save the bathrooms. :psyduck:

Tried making some chicken tenders last night and the drat things went off while the oven was preheating to 450, so out they go, rules be damned. I've already called the front office and left a message about getting photoelectric sensors though. Hopefully those are less prone to false alarms than the ionization ones I have.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Ciaphas posted:

Tried making some chicken tenders last night and the drat things went off while the oven was preheating to 450

You probably need different detectors, but just for curiosity's sake, have you cleaned your oven in a while?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Base Emitter posted:

You probably need different detectors, but just for curiosity's sake, have you cleaned your oven in a while?

In fact before cooking last night, it had not been used since I cleaned it last. Doesn't seem to make a difference as far as the alarms go, I've let the oven go uncleaned for a long time before and it doesn't make the alarms go off any faster, smell any different, etc

Also I haven't used them in a while so I forgot, but the stove top sets them off pretty reliable too, above a medium heat. Which is weird because it and the oven are both electric, so it's not like there's actual fire.

(PS electric stove tops suck so much oh my god.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

In fact before cooking last night, it had not been used since I cleaned it last. Doesn't seem to make a difference as far as the alarms go, I've let the oven go uncleaned for a long time before and it doesn't make the alarms go off any faster, smell any different, etc

Also I haven't used them in a while so I forgot, but the stove top sets them off pretty reliable too, above a medium heat. Which is weird because it and the oven are both electric, so it's not like there's actual fire.

I had a smoke detector outside my bathroom that would go off after I showered. And I had one in a kitchen that would go off while I was boiling water, on an electric range no less. New batteries did nothing to alleviate this.

My only theory about the one outside the bathroom was that I lived downwind of a wildfire that smoked the place up good for about a solid month last summer (which NEVER set the loving detectors off, even though I'd wake up feeling like I'd smoked a pack of cigarettes in my sleep) and somehow that gunk built up on the detector and then the steam from a shower melts the gunk and activates the sensor?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
What happened to that thread that had pictures of people pets with tags/notices hanging from them that said things like, "I ate cat poo poo from the litter box" around a dog's neck. It was a huge thread and I can't even remember what it was called now.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

SERPUS posted:

What happened to that thread that had pictures of people pets with tags/notices hanging from them that said things like, "I ate cat poo poo from the litter box" around a dog's neck. It was a huge thread and I can't even remember what it was called now.

The meme is called pet shaming. I don't know if there's a thread about it.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

syscall girl posted:

I had a smoke detector outside my bathroom that would go off after I showered. And I had one in a kitchen that would go off while I was boiling water, on an electric range no less. New batteries did nothing to alleviate this.

My only theory about the one outside the bathroom was that I lived downwind of a wildfire that smoked the place up good for about a solid month last summer (which NEVER set the loving detectors off, even though I'd wake up feeling like I'd smoked a pack of cigarettes in my sleep) and somehow that gunk built up on the detector and then the steam from a shower melts the gunk and activates the sensor?

Most common smoke detectors work by detecting radiation from an ionising source built into them. Smoke in the air blocks this radiation causing the detector to go off. Unfortunately, water vapour also blocks the radiation which is why they don't often have detectors close to bathrooms as the showers will set them off. Often boiling water in a kettle is enough to set off a detector if it's close enough to the kitchen.

Thermal detectors that will be triggered by a quick increase in heat from a fire are better used around humid areas rather than ionising detectors.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

John McCain posted:

Bad news: since your components all have different densities and packing factors (which combine into a property called "bulk density"), they will naturally tend to stratify themselves. You can observe this problem relatively easily in mixed nuts: when you open a container, the largest nuts will probably be at the top, since they have a smaller packing fraction (and therefore bulk density, true density being held equal) than the smaller nuts. By agitating your cereal, like mixed nuts get agitated in shipping, you're actually providing it with enough energy to reconfigure into the lowest energy state, which will be stratified. Obviously a certain amount of shaking will tend to mix things up, but if you shake too long you're going to start re-stratifying your cereal. Your best bet to try to get an even mix would probably be, as someone else said, to combine them in a container that is much bigger than necessary, so things have room to move, then give the cereal only a few (maybe five or ten) brisk shakes.

This isn't actually true - particles with the same bulk density will still separate out. The so-called Brazil nut effect is primarily a size based effect but the exact mechanism is (to the best of my knowledge) not fully understood.

To get a good mixing the easiest way is probably to invert the container and shake gently until the layers remix. Be careful as pouring will quickly cause everything to resegregate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Electric stoves are the best. You get way better control and the heat is spread more evenly than gas. Plus you don't have to keep a lighter by the stove.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 25, 2013

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Tiggum posted:

Electric stoves are the best. You get way better control and the heat is spread more evenly than gas. Plus you don't have to keep a lighter by the stove.

I don't know what horrible contraption you used that required manual lighting and was worse than a godforsaken electric stove, but you really ought to give a real gas stove a try some time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In books from the early 20th century or so they often do this thing where someone will be mentioned who's not important to the story at all and the name is censored, like "He'd just returned from a weekend at the house of Lord N_______." What's the reason behind that? Is it just to let you know that this guy is completely irrelevant and there's no need to remember his name?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

In books from the early 20th century or so they often do this thing where someone will be mentioned who's not important to the story at all and the name is censored, like "He'd just returned from a weekend at the house of Lord N_______." What's the reason behind that? Is it just to let you know that this guy is completely irrelevant and there's no need to remember his name?

In some cases it was because referring to someone in writing by just the first letter was a common shorthand in diaries and journals at the time, and using that for a novel kind of lent things a personal feel. Like you would write in a journal "Visited Joe H__ today" or something.

In other cases, it was being done to imply a "this is based on something that happened, names changed to protect the innocent!" kind of thing. And then lastly some authors used it to make things less specific - you may also notice that old stories will bizarrely refer to something as happening in "18__" or "190_". Even though there wasn't really a point to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Install Gentoo posted:

In some cases it was because referring to someone in writing by just the first letter was a common shorthand in diaries and journals at the time, and using that for a novel kind of lent things a personal feel. Like you would write in a journal "Visited Joe H__ today" or something.

In other cases, it was being done to imply a "this is based on something that happened, names changed to protect the innocent!" kind of thing. And then lastly some authors used it to make things less specific - you may also notice that old stories will bizarrely refer to something as happening in "18__" or "190_". Even though there wasn't really a point to it.

Cool kids use XX now.

There was a webcomic about traffic safety a while ago that got ripped on with people editing them comically. It was like Traffic Lawls or something like that. Anybody remember it?