Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

It was a poor attempt at a lovely joke filled with bad sarcasm as to how a person, who would actually use a product like this, would feel towards runny yolks. :saddowns:

oh 'Doh004', always keeping us on our toes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Just bought my first house, I pick up the keys on Thursday. I'm super excited too because it's also my first time having gas burners, no more electrical rings. I am pretty set on cookware, I have a shitload of cast iron. I do need to purchase a fridge. It's kind of rough finding reviews on refrigerators, every type seems to get mixed reviews. I have all stainless steel appliances and want to keep that theme going. Ideally I would like a stainless steel french door bottom freezer. Does anyone have recommendations or experiences they could share? I am looking at Samsung, LG, Kenmore, and Whirlpool's offerings but am really open to anything. No real budgetary constraints other than I am probably looking to spend 2k, maybe 2.5 maximum.
They're all built really cheaply and shoddily. It's the luck of the draw whether you end up with something good or a lemon.
Best bet is just to buy something that has the best support in your area, so if it breaks, you have spare parts and someone to fix it.
I used to fix Samsung, LG, Sharp and Electrolux. Some models in the same brand are bad, others are OK, so I can't even recommend by brand.
But I'm not in the US so I don't know US specific brands at all (like Kenmore).
Whirlpool here in Aus as well as Europe has been regarded as one of the worst brands in the past though due to poor electronic PCBs.
LG aren't too bad, but if you have no local repairer you are going to be stuffed if something happens as the Korean brands may not have a large repair network compared to domestic/'western' brands in your area.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 20, 2013

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Just bought my first house, I pick up the keys on Thursday. I'm super excited too because it's also my first time having gas burners, no more electrical rings. I am pretty set on cookware, I have a shitload of cast iron. I do need to purchase a fridge. It's kind of rough finding reviews on refrigerators, every type seems to get mixed reviews. I have all stainless steel appliances and want to keep that theme going. Ideally I would like a stainless steel french door bottom freezer. Does anyone have recommendations or experiences they could share? I am looking at Samsung, LG, Kenmore, and Whirlpool's offerings but am really open to anything. No real budgetary constraints other than I am probably looking to spend 2k, maybe 2.5 maximum.

I picked up one of the SS LG french door models with the dual drawer freezer on bottom when we moved into our house almost 3 years ago. It has treated us very well and I am constantly suprised at the amount of stuff that I can fit into it. We had a few family member recently who had bought various appliances that weren't LG and they all had issues and trouble getting them fixed. As it turned out the LG we chose had the features and size we wanted/could fit the space. It literally barely fit the space, I would be surprised if I could fit a piece of paper in between it and the counter on either side, and I measure stuff like literally 20 times. I like the model we got as the opening for on door water is big enough to fit very large cups. I also like the dual drawer freezer, although it is just one freezer compartment, the double drawers help to keep you from having to dig through a bunch of stuff.

All in all, it just came down to which model had the look, features and size we needed. For what its worth we also purchased a LG washer/dryer (gas) combo at the same time and haven't had any issues with those either.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an LG french door model that I really like. Been humming away in the garage for 3 years now. I actually ordered in online from appliancesconnection.com, as they had the best prices I could find at the time. I paid for expedited shipping, but it didn't show up in the expedited timeframe and they refunded the extra shipping. I would definitely order from there again.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mindphlux posted:

oh 'Doh004', always keeping us on our toes

I know, right? :glomp:

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Thanks for the input guys!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
This is a long shot, but Philips is an international brand. So, anyone got a philips viva food processor? Specifically this one: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=HR7762/90&slg=en&scy=AU

To me, it looks good, cheap, small, light. They aren't normally good signs in an appliance, but I need cheap, small and light due to budget, storage and bench space. It's cool that it comes with a blender and spice grinder as well.
I've never had a food processor but I want one because I have a baby that's due for solid foods soon, and I want to eat healthier, like make hummus or falafels. The blender is handy as an attachment and not taking up more space, ie not making the base larger for storage. not going to trust the blender for smoothies or ice but may be better than a regular food processor for baby food.
Later on I'll probably get a stand alone blender for me, but for now just looking for something to help cook better for myself and to make purees for baby food in a month or so.

Edit: Oh well, went and bought it anyway. The main thing that sold me on top of the size was separate full cutting and grating discs. A lot of other brands have just a little square insert you have to swap into a plastic plate. i) that's a pain, ii) less working surface and more plastic to get stained and brittle.

Next question.
I love carrots, specifically 'match stick'/julienned carrots. One of the cheapest veg ever and I put carrots in almost everything.
Looking to get a "V" slicer as I can't really afford a mandoline.
Anyone use a Borner V slicer?

Also as I'm buying meat whole, a good recommendation on a boning/filleting knife on a tight budget. Someone around here was selling a cuisinart knife for $15, but then I ummed and arred over a wenger swibo knife for $30 and couldn't decide.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 25, 2013

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

Fo3 posted:

Looking to get a "V" slicer as I can't really afford a mandoline.
Anyone use a Borner V slicer?

Just speaking to this part, I have a $10 USD mandoline that I bought at Tuesday Morning (don't know where you are so YMMV). It slices and juliennes quite well. Came with three blades and a pusher.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thanks, I'm in Australia, so prices are higher and for the most part, different stores/store names too of course.
Which is why I just trying to stick with brand names as they are mostly common worldwide so I could get an indication of quality and usefulness.
Borner was a mid priced international brand (I think?),for a V type slicer which I know where to get from (but it's $50-70 here).
There's cheaper ones locally but of no brand name of course, so no one here is going to know anything about them so not possible to get an opinion on them.
Thanks for the reply though, maybe others can benefit from it. I wish I could get things at that price.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 26, 2013

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I use a Borner sometimes at work. It's well-made, sturdy and easy to clean. It doesn't have a lot of options in terms of thickness, though. I brought a cheap adjustable Norpro to use when I need a slice size that the Borner can't do, but you have to be careful about the pressure you use or the slices will be uneven. If I used one more often I might have invested in a nice adjustable stainless model, but the Borner is very good for most applications.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think for mandolines, either get a cheap one with good adjustability or if you get a more expensive one, make sure the blade is removeable so you can sharpen it. So yeah: adjustability and removable blade.

The Benriners are great. I have an OXO Steel one that I got for a wedding gift. The blade is removeable and I put a pretty sweet edge on it so I think it's great. For some reason people don't review it very highly though. I don't really know why. It's pretty expensive, though....

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just got this to hone my knives with. The reviews were great, the price was right, and it's now in my possession. The weird part is that on the packaging, it says "Medium Grit"...but the thing itself feels smooth as a baby's bottom. Not "Medium Grit" like the sandpaper that comes to mind. I remember hearing a lot of people in GWC recommending the finest "grit" possible, so where does the disparity between the perceived smoothness of the one I got and the declared "Medium Grit" come from?!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think for mandolines, either get a cheap one with good adjustability or if you get a more expensive one, make sure the blade is removeable so you can sharpen it. So yeah: adjustability and removable blade.

The Benriners are great. I have an OXO Steel one that I got for a wedding gift. The blade is removeable and I put a pretty sweet edge on it so I think it's great. For some reason people don't review it very highly though. I don't really know why. It's pretty expensive, though....

Benriners are a little bit more.
I've noticed these kyoceras though here that are cheap and say they are adjustable http://www.everten.com.au/Kitchen-Mandolines.html?objects_per_page=all
When I was into coffee I know other's raved about how good their hand grinders were. Anyone used them?
Otherwise, anything that stands out on that page for a good mandoline?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 26, 2013

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I just got this to hone my knives with. The reviews were great, the price was right, and it's now in my possession. The weird part is that on the packaging, it says "Medium Grit"...but the thing itself feels smooth as a baby's bottom. Not "Medium Grit" like the sandpaper that comes to mind. I remember hearing a lot of people in GWC recommending the finest "grit" possible, so where does the disparity between the perceived smoothness of the one I got and the declared "Medium Grit" come from?!

There is no standard for grit - medium will be totally different between different manufacturers and kinds of abrasive. Like, a medium water stone will differ from a medium oil stone or a medium Arkansas stone. The Lansky ceramic medium is fairly fine in the great scheme of things, certainly not a strong medium that you might use to reshape an edge. So that's perfect for routine honing.

I have basically the same Lansky thing, though it's their "gourmet" angle system rather than a single hone. It works very well. The Idahone ceramic hone, which is fantastic, is also very similar to what you got. How are you using it, like a regular steel hone?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gilgameshback posted:

There is no standard for grit - medium will be totally different between different manufacturers and kinds of abrasive. Like, a medium water stone will differ from a medium oil stone or a medium Arkansas stone. The Lansky ceramic medium is fairly fine in the great scheme of things, certainly not a strong medium that you might use to reshape an edge. So that's perfect for routine honing.

I have basically the same Lansky thing, though it's their "gourmet" angle system rather than a single hone. It works very well. The Idahone ceramic hone, which is fantastic, is also very similar to what you got. How are you using it, like a regular steel hone?

Thanks for the information - glad I lucked out on choosing what I got. It was literally delivered today so I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but according to the directions, it's typical of what I was used to with the previous steel I had.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm probably overthinking this and should just use any old thing I can find, but are there any particularly good containers that you guys use for keeping flour and sugar out on the counter? I guess I'm wondering if there are ones that strike a good balance between having a good seal, being relatively easy to open when cooking, and not looking lovely? I don't really care about the material.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get some Cambros at your local restaurant supply. They come in practically every size.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get some Cambros at your local restaurant supply. They come in practically every size.
I use Cambro containers for all kinds of poo poo---storing dry goods, brining, fermenting kimchi, and so on---but I don't know if I'd recommend them for someone who's concerned about how pretty they are. I mean they don't look like poo poo or anything, but they're definitely utilitarian rather than ornamental. I never keep dry goods out on the counter, though, so I'm not sure I understand the aesthetic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cambros fail in the "not looking lovely" department. I got this kind based on a recommendation from this thread and my wife and I are both very pleased.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

I use Cambro containers for all kinds of poo poo---storing dry goods, brining, fermenting kimchi, and so on---but I don't know if I'd recommend them for someone who's concerned about how pretty they are. I mean they don't look like poo poo or anything, but they're definitely utilitarian rather than ornamental. I never keep dry goods out on the counter, though, so I'm not sure I understand the aesthetic.

Cambros look great on your counters and shelves, if you've got a modern-ish kitchen. If the 1qt ziploc containers weren't so cheap, I'd probably use cambros for everything in the fridge too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, I was gonna recommend cambros, because that's what I use, but they want to keep all that stuff on the counter. I don't really know why you'd want flour out on the counter all the time though. Sugar, I just use some red enameled metal jar with a glass lid and a silicone gasket, I think it holds about 4 cups of sugar. That one I keep on the counter, but I have a bigger container in the pantry that I refill it with or that I grab if I need a shitton of sugar for whatever reason.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Shouldn't flour be stored in a cool, dark area?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm probably overthinking this and should just use any old thing I can find, but are there any particularly good containers that you guys use for keeping flour and sugar out on the counter? I guess I'm wondering if there are ones that strike a good balance between having a good seal, being relatively easy to open when cooking, and not looking lovely? I don't really care about the material.

I have a large and small one of these : sitting on my counter for flour and sugar. there's not really a seal, but I don't think it's a big deal. I also think they look pretty nice. I keep a spoon stuck in them both, but you can't see it because of the metal lid. easy peezy. don't remember where I got them.

also have nice looking glass bottles for canola oil and olive oil with some universal black quickpours that I got from cost plus world market, together everything looks pretty great.

BraveUlysses posted:

Shouldn't flour be stored in a cool, dark area?

if you cook, you go through whatever flour and sugar that you'd keep on the counter in a couple weeks, so it's really not an issue. bulk storage in the pantry.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 27, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I would definitely prefer to not keep things like flour and sugar out, but my condo has very little cabinet space for 2 people (plus one girlfriend who also cooks) so I'm looking to free up some space by keeping bigger stuff like flour and sugar out on the counter. Which is also space that is at a premium, but there are a few underutilized areas where I could stick a couple of big containers. If not for that I'd use those cambros and keep them stashed away.

I think something like those OXOs would be best, since I like the idea of having a seal on it. Though the best thing would be a combination of that and the side-access ones that mindphlux posted.

edit: :frog: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-POP-Large/dp/B007U256DM/

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 27, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Zenzirouj posted:

I would definitely prefer to not keep things like flour and sugar out, but my condo has very little cabinet space for 2 people (plus one girlfriend who also cooks) so I'm looking to free up some space by keeping bigger stuff like flour and sugar out on the counter. Which is also space that is at a premium, but there are a few underutilized areas where I could stick a couple of big containers. If not for that I'd use those cambros and keep them stashed away.

I think something like those OXOs would be best, since I like the idea of having a seal on it. Though the best thing would be a combination of that and the side-access ones that mindphlux posted.

edit: :frog: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-POP-Large/dp/B007U256DM/

If space is at a premium wouldn't you rather have something you can stack?

This might not meet your aesthetic needs but we use something like these with black lids for flour & sugar-
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_code=1000&fv_item_number=P10048110000

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Those are pretty small, actually.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Looking to purchase an all Clad Copper Core 12" fryer. Is that a hosed out prospect?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've heard that the copper core has minimal practical benefits, and that there's only like a millimeter of copper in that pan anyway (it's got a 5-ply ss-al-cu-al-ss construction). I think the copper core is also heavier, but the magazines seem to not see a huge difference in performance (which makes sense considering the conductivity difference between aluminum and copper isn't that high) and there's a significant jump in price between the copper core and the aluminum one.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Steve Yun posted:

Those are pretty small, actually.
Yeah, I realized that once I came back to look at it more closely. I'm probably just gonna go with something like those tupperware ones Remy posted, though I might wait a bit and see if they go on sale.

On an unrelated note, I've been occasionally checking sauce pan prices and this Cuisinart multiclad has gone 60% off if anybody else is in the market for one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP19-16N-MultiClad-Stainless-Saucepan/dp/B009P48324

Though I am curious what the difference between the "aluminum core" on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-719-16-Classic-Stainless-Saucepan/dp/B00008CM69 and the "solid aluminum core" on the multiclad is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
First one has aluminum all throughout the body, the second one just has aluminum in the bottom. Get the first one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whelp

so, I broke down and gave up on the whole copper core bullshit and just put some Falk pans on our wedding registry. http://www.copperpans.com/facofrpa.html

I just put an 8in and 12in frying pan, and a small saucepan. they're really expensive. :/ but they also look really nice. hope I'm not being insane...

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, you're insane. You've read Modernist, right? You know copper doesn't matter, it's just pretty. Stainless steel with aluminum core is thew way to go, and all stainless kitchen.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.
TFR meets GWS!

5. Spice Gun

Cooking can be fun but this gadget makes it better. Seasoning your food will never be the same; introducing the spice gun. Just pack the spices you wish to use and fire away. Just be careful not to shoot yourself in the eye.

Webpage here: http://thehottestgadgets.com/2008/10/15-interesting-gadgets-to-spice-up-your-home-001726

Only registered members can see post attachments!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just popping in to tell you all that Gilt.com is currently selling John Boos cutting boards for a decent discount

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I was looking at a Vitamix to make kale shakes and stuff. Consumer Reports rates the $60 Ninja blender better than the $450 Vitamix. Anyone use either of these?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

indoflaven posted:

I was looking at a Vitamix to make kale shakes and stuff. Consumer Reports rates the $60 Ninja blender better than the $450 Vitamix. Anyone use either of these?

I think the vitamix is still better. I'm pretty sure that consumer reports was factoring in cost. Is the vitamix $400 better? Up to you to decide. Are you just pureeing smoothies/soups? You can do that with pretty much any blender. Are you going to make flours? Nut butters? Juicing? I don't think the Ninja even comes close to the Vitamix in these. Blend-tec vs Vitamix is a better question to ask if these latter options are what you're after.

Edit: or go big. Get a thermomix. :P

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 29, 2013

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
If you have to ask yourself if you need a $400 blender, then you do not need a $400 blender. It seems like nearly every professional kitchen that uses crazy good blenders is using Vitamix. I'd trust the guys using them day in and day out more than I'd trust Consumer Reports. That said, if you're willing to spend $60 just to see if the Ninja is good enough for you, then go for it.

I need my $400 blender.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I love my vitamix. Ours at work are about 10 years old and have required little maintenance. If you get one, you will probably never replace it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

indoflaven posted:

We have a Ninja, I make the occasional fruit smoothie with frozen berries. My sister has used it for 'green shakes' which I don't think include kale but do have spinach and such. It works fairly nicely, way better than the last blender we had which was just an attachment to a mixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bingbangbong
Dec 17, 2003
the all-time winner

GrAviTy84 posted:

Are you going to make flours? Nut butters? Juicing?

If you're going to make all this crazy poo poo just get a Cuisinart with a big heavy motor. It'll be more versatile and come in well below $400.

• Locked thread