Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jjaarreett posted:

Are Ninja Gaiden 3's controls really that bad with the game pad? A few reviews mention that a pro controller is almost mandatory but I don't really feel like shelling out for one right now.

That wouldn't make any sense because the gamepad has every single button the pro controller has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Soul Glo posted:

Lego City Undercover is enjoyable, but people are neglecting to mention that it's made for children (which may or may not matter to the buyer), the frame rate sucks, the pop-in is noticeable and the load times are horrendous. That said it is still fun, but know that stuff going in.

Played up to chapter 5 today? Right after the 'Albatross Island' stuff. I don't really noticed much pop-in at least to the point i'd freak my poo poo about it yet and the frame rate hasn't gotten to me yet but yeah some of the load times... That first and second one when you just get the menu and then it loads the city after and there's an actual progress bar on the WiiU pad, I laughed. Not sure exactly what's loading so much each time you stop free roaming. I'll agree with the others though that it's more 'FAMILY' comedy instead of really all super kiddy stuff. I mean I facepalm everytime I have to hear COMPUPER! but all the Shawshank references made me laugh pretty good and kids sure as hell aren't going to notice Columbo or Starsky and Hutch and Sunny and Tubbs during that briefing scene. I really hope you get a round of missions with each parody.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

greatn posted:

That wouldn't make any sense because the gamepad has every single button the pro controller has.

Reviewers probably didn't like the pad due to bulk or they hit buttons in a funny way? (I don't have the game but just guessing). I did not like the pad very much at first because I couldn't play more then an hour or two at a time without cramps. My hands are now used to it and I can play for 12 hours without issue. Same with my 3DS also, you just learn to hold it in a non stupid way.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone have any ideas why i cant connect to anyone online?
I put my wii u in a DMZ via my router settings, but i still get error 106-0612
Could it be related to my needing to put my console in physical contact with the router in order to get a good enough connection for the update to download?

My wii U, 360 and ps3 are all next to each other and the wii u is the only one that needs to be so close to the router to update. Also it cant use wpa-2? What the hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't say it was a bad game because it was made for children, but it is a very simplistic game that constantly reminds you with flashing text about what to do and where.

See also: every other western AAA game of the last ~5 years.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Battlefield 3 literally tells you to click to shoot the gun whenever you hop into a tank, it's nearly to the point of parody, honestly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jjaarreett posted:

Are Ninja Gaiden 3's controls really that bad with the game pad? A few reviews mention that a pro controller is almost mandatory but I don't really feel like shelling out for one right now.

The GamePad is literally a Pro Controller with a big screen in the middle. The idea that the Pro Controller is mandatory for any game is absurd. It plays fine on the GamePad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jjaarreett posted:

The controls aren't really bad, but the game is. Well, not as bad as it used to be, but still not good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Chronojam posted:

Battlefield 3 literally tells you to click to shoot the gun whenever you hop into a tank, it's nearly to the point of parody, honestly.

I watched a stream of Bioshock Infinite and there was an amazing amount of text on screen at all times giving tips on how to play, at one point there was two separate things saying LOW ON AMMO in the middle of the screen at the same time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wouldn't call God Of War for kids either but the control scheme and general gameplay is almost designed for children.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

elf help book posted:

I watched a stream of Bioshock Infinite and there was an amazing amount of text on screen at all times giving tips on how to play, at one point there was two separate things saying LOW ON AMMO in the middle of the screen at the same time.

This is fine, though? The frustration of someone who doesn't understand games very much getting confused is worse than your "I KNOW HOW TO PLAY, GAME" rage by an order of magnitude.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

theflyingorc posted:

This is fine, though? The frustration of someone who doesn't understand games very much getting confused is worse than your "I KNOW HOW TO PLAY, GAME" rage by an order of magnitude.

It was seriously enough text at all times that it's probably training people to never read it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

And poor ol' Monster Hunter hands you one of each weapon and points you towards the woods. No NPC or floaty text going to teach you how to build a combo, and nobody's going to PUSH ->X<-!! everytime right before Ludroth steamrolls you.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It seems like Nintendo have discovered that having two different consoles called Wii made consumers confused:

I still think Nintendo made a mistake calling it Wii U, not that anyone care. But they could have jumped that hurdle by actually marketing the console. I still haven't seen a single commercial for it, neither printed nor aired on TV.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 24, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh no, at a glance (and thats all a lot of people will probably give it) it actually makes it look more like an upgrade that gives you access to optional stuff like TVii than a whole new console.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The flier would be better if it just said "Would you buy a Nintendo instead of a Super Nintendo? Same thing."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It doesn't really matter at this point. You can't recapture the lightning in a bottle of the original Wii, so there's only one other thing that moves minds, and that's software. Get content that gets people excited, and the rest will take care of itself. Since there isn't yet content that gets people excited, there is not much motivation for people to want a Wii U. Even though this thread is super excited about Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 and Pikmin, these are hardly games that peak mainstream curiosity like Wii U Fit or Zelda do, and it's the latter category that Nintendo needs to stock up on.

The next Mario Kart and Smash Bros, though not necessarily mainstream, are huge enough sellers that those also need to show up sooner than later.

The Littlest Man
Jun 24, 2005

(Duke, who would want this)

Iacen posted:

I still think Nintendo made a mistake calling it Wii U, not that anyone care. But they could have jumped that hurdle by actually marketing the console. I still haven't seen a single commercial for it, neither printed nor aired on TV.

Maybe they're holding off on marketing for a while until they can do some sort of massive re-branding? I hope that's the case but I doubt it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chronojam posted:

And poor ol' Monster Hunter hands you one of each weapon and points you towards the woods. No NPC or floaty text going to teach you how to build a combo, and nobody's going to PUSH ->X<-!! everytime right before Ludroth steamrolls you.

One extreme is no better than the other, developers just don't know how to establish a middle ground.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Alteisen posted:

One extreme is no better than the other, developers just don't know how to establish a middle ground.

Or, possibly, it depends on the game, your audience, and how the game is supposed to be approached?

Mass market games SHOULD hold your hand, because most people who play it aren't familiar with the visual shorthand of gamings. Monster Hunter and Dark Souls shouldn't! (although both of those have a problem where much of the information literally cannot be figured out without using the internet)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

You can find out everything about DkS through DkS if you just talk to NPCs/read item descriptions and really explore. The only exceptions I can think of are the LI bonfire shortcut, and the darkwraith covenant.

MH is full of things that have absolutely no explanation. The weapon upgrade system is especially confusing, as you have no way of seeing what the weapon paths hold in the future (Surprise! You're going down the poo poo path with -20% affinity! Hope you love grinding pelgicite!), and no clear definitions for the resources needed. "What the gently caress is carbalite" was a question that the game refused to answer and I had to go on the internet to find out it's an HR ore.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2013

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
That flier doesn't even explain what Nintendo Tvii or Miiverse are let alone why a consumer should want a WiiU to get them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

You can find out everything about DkS through DkS if you just talk to NPCs/read item descriptions and really explore. The only exceptions I can think of are the LI bonfire shortcut, and the darkwraith covenant.

MH is full of things that have absolutely no explanation. The weapon upgrade system is especially confusing, as you have no way of seeing what the weapon paths hold in the future (Surprise! You're going down the poo poo path with -20% affinity! Hope you love grinding pelgicite!), and no clear definitions for the resources needed. "What the gently caress is carbacite" was a question that the game refused to answer and I had to go on the internet to find out it's an HR ore.

That's actually the idea, you're supposed to ask other hunters. It doesn't advertise the shortcut paths between areas either, or what you can break on a monster.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Too bad this isnt Japan, where it can be safely assumed that random strangers you encounter on the street have a Monster Hunter game in their pocket

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

MH is full of things that have absolutely no explanation. The weapon upgrade system is especially confusing, as you have no way of seeing what the weapon paths hold in the future (Surprise! You're going down the poo poo path with -20% affinity! Hope you love grinding pelgicite!), and no clear definitions for the resources needed. "What the gently caress is carbacite" was a question that the game refused to answer and I had to go on the internet to find out it's an HR ore.

This, Dark Souls can be figured out through trial and error and simple exploration, the game tells your next upgrade, once you reach a certain upgrade point it tells you the paths you can take like raw, magic, lightning, etc, MH is simply obtuse for no real reason, combat and such, that's all player preference and I'm sure the MH fans prefer as it is, but I'm sure even the most ardent fan would like something as basic as explanation of the materials or weapon paths.

Not having that poo poo is just bad game design.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Too bad this isnt Japan, where it can be safely assumed that random strangers you encounter on the street have a Monster Hunter game in their pocket

I guess you're the type of person who never discovers the messaging system or in-game text and voice chat using the built-in everybody-has-it microphone. We usually assume you imported and just can't speak English.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

I guess you're the type of person who never discovers the messaging system or in-game text and voice chat using the built-in everybody-has-it microphone. We usually assume you imported and just can't speak English.

Are you being sarcastic or obtuse? If I am forced to go to the internet for the mere basics of a game, that reeks of bad game design. There's no "I guess you don't have friends or the Internet? :smug:" here.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One of the things about Minecraft that I didn't like was how you needed a wiki for anything more advanced than hitting animals and placing blocks. Even so, that game is massively popular with casual gamers and hardcore gamers alike. I guess it doesn't frontload itself with information and tutorials, when you're still figuring out how to cut trees and make a house, and you can look up how to do the more advanced things yourself. All this information should be provided within the game itself, though.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
People seem to have a problem differentiating between "game I like is good despite X" and "game I like is good because of X."

Monsters Hunter is a great series despite being completely obtuse, and would continue to be a great series if it became easier to get into without outside resources.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are you being sarcastic or obtuse? If I am forced to go to the internet for the mere basics of a game, that reeks of bad game design. There's no "I guess you don't have friends or the Internet? :smug:" here.

The mere basics are literally all explained by the old man and young girl that pop up during the first tutorial bits. Knowing the shortcuts that aren't on any map, and secret weaknesses of a boss, and what weapons are good against what badguys, shouldn't be considered mere basics. I'm not trying to pick a fight because the advanced stuff is designed for discovery, but what mechanics do you think they should've explained better in the game itself?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crowbear posted:

People seem to have a problem differentiating between "game I like is good despite X" and "game I like is good because of X."

Monsters Hunter is a great series despite being completely obtuse, and would continue to be a great series if it became easier to get into without outside resources.

The "have to use outside resources" is something I have never minded with games since I'm always in front of a computer and can leave a wiki open. It's also kind of fun around the launch when no one has any idea what is going on and you hope for the best while leading the way, the 2nd round of people have more information and this lets them catch up by picking a better path then someone that picked the wrong one in the first wave. This is fun around launch but post launch its a huge pain in the rear end. You also end up without any of that in the US Monster Hunter Japan had it for a year already and has min/maxed a ton of stuff. This is always fun in MMOs trying to be the first to do something or find an interesting way to complete a series of quests quickly. Beat the masses that require information by being someone that can just figure it out themselves.

No its not good game design its annoying, but some fun can be had with it. Its very aggravating I imagine in MH to wonder which path you should go down without anything to look it up. I was pretty confused since MH3U is my first even with my MMO background and love of the unknown, if stuff has been done before I want a wiki so I can just get it over with. Monster Hunter is a very fun and rewarding combat system that even after killing a monster 10 or more times, its still fun to kill that same loving monster. That is what makes the game good, you are also trying for rare drops to actually finish a set or weapon or whatever. It has that Diablo 2 I need to farm baal more feel. You farm baal to kill him faster, there is no other reason (unless you just want to complete that set but why do you want that? To kill him faster).

Exploring a game IS fun, and figuring out weakness on your own is fun and rewarding. That said its nice to be able to look them up but I consider that spoilers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chronojam posted:

Let's pretend that not everybody has their systems connected 24/7, or don't have easy access to the net, what then?

You're making excuses for lovely game design. Again, don't hold my hand or give me giant red arrows saying "hit here", knock this part off, concessions like upgrade paths and such isn't hand holding, its just basic poo poo that should have put into the games as the franchise evolved.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

There is nothing about Monster Hunter that would be made worse if the in-game documentation explained aspects of the game in greater detail. Given that the franchise already struggles in every single region outside of Japan, I think making some concessions to those dirty casuals who might ruin your purestrain monster hunting experience could go some way to dispel belief that the franchise is unapproachable to anyone short of some fat nerds with internet access and way more free-time on their hands to play videogames than other people. (It'd also help if Capcom regularly acknowledged there was a market for the series outside of Japan)

Going back to the snide bullshit regarding in-game tutorials that constantly pop-up: they exist BECAUSE people do get easily lost all the time in videogames. They do forget what we might perceive to be obvious stuff. The endless bitching about the first hour(s) of a Zelda game being rife with handholding almost always is done ignoring the fact that the games are made typically with lower age groups in mind. Not everyone who plays Zelda is a 30-something who has been around the block before.

I think it'd be nice to be able to turn off in game tool-tips and tutorials if we don't want them, but they're implemented because the vast majority of gamers are not eminently capable at videogames as you or I might be. Adding them into Monster Hunter (and even the Souls games) would go some ways to further increase appeal because more people can understand the systems of the game they are playing, which might increase sales (and in the case of Monster Hunter, would make localization of 4 a more likely event). I don't even think this is much to ask, nor does it risk "dumbing down" the game. It's not like we're talking about loving Mario Bros here.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Alteisen posted:

Let's pretend that not everybody has their systems connected 24/7, or don't have easy access to the net, what then?

Don't buy a game that's largely made for online play?

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
Finished Lego City Undercover story. The last mission is way more pretty, awesome, and cinematic than a Lego game has any right to be, and it is one of the best things I have seen in a console video game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fivegears4reverse posted:

There is nothing about Monster Hunter that would be made worse if the in-game documentation explained aspects of the game in greater detail.

I enjoy monster hunter and I definitely agree with you. If I couldn't google/wiki a lot of the materials I wouldn't even begin to know where to look for them. How can you work out that the King's Frill is an item only avaliable when you break the crest of the Great Jaggi in the quest where you hunt him? There's a lot of things that are extremely rare drops and don't have a name that gives an easy idea of where they're from as well.

That said I do think Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is easier than Tri. I don't know if many of you that are playing Ultimate also played Tri but it does give you a better idea of how to play. For one, it starts you with a copy of every single weapon. Other things are there like the quests that caused the most internet posts (how do I get a goldenfish?) are signposted massively now, whereas before it was pretty much guesswork.
There's also little things - previously every zone had at least one area that was dark. You needed to carry a torch in them and often needed to light braziers around the room to keep them light. They're gone now. The areas still exist, but they're just the same as any other cave.

Fights that took me 40 minutes and made me use 20 megapotions I've done without using any potions at all. And I don't paticularly think I've got any better.

Basically what I'm saying is it's worth trying MH3U if you gave up on Tri.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RustedChrome posted:

Don't buy a game that's largely made for online play?

Monster Hunter has online play as a concession for people who own the console version (and in Japan the most popular forms of Monster Hunter are on portables, and they don't have online play short of going through a packet relay on a console you may or may not own because they assume, just like you, that resources like other players with knowledge are easily available).

Of course, even Capcom knows that Monster Hunter is deliberately obtuse, which is why they authorize some fairly thick guide books for almost every release of the games, which is where a lot of hardcore players start their understanding of the games. Meanwhile, here in the US, we finally got a decent official source of information about a lot of the basics of the games, which is better than we've gotten historically.

None of this replaces a decent in-game system that would teach the players more about how to play the games, and go into greater detail about how to get some resources. The Wii U and 3DS would be PERFECT for making use of their respective touch screens to allow players the ability to quickly look up information about a material they need but have never seen.

@Taear: Oh, they definitely made the game easier, and it's been the trend since Portable 3rd/Tri.

IIRC The deal with the braziers needing to be lit is something they took out of the Wii U version because it is more or less a port of the 3DS game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Iacen posted:

It seems like Nintendo have discovered that having two different consoles called Wii made consumers confused:

Instead of Wii U they should have called it the Yuu. Same message plus a name the internet would hate. Win win!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? I love Dark Souls, and it goes incredibly out of its way to not help you understand the upgrade paths of the items and the nature of the online stuff. Right next to nobody beats it without using the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

theflyingorc posted:

Right next to nobody beats it without using the internet.

Hell, the back of the box here has "darksouls.wikidot.com" written on it.

• Locked thread