Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Also I need to question the use solely of e-harmnoy, eschewing other sites like match, chemistry, christian mingle, j-date, and apps like grindr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Hey Salt Lake City. What up?

Urban centers are generally more liberal no matter where you go. There were a *lot* of LGBT flags the last time I was in Boise, for example.

LP97S posted:

Also I need to question the use solely of e-harmnoy, eschewing other sites like match, chemistry, christian mingle, j-date, and apps like grindr.

It's their own users as far as I can tell, which is useful in that the other sites are behind a pay wall and so skew to those specific interests (christian mingle for example is probably full of crazies).

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Contrasted with:

Clearly gay curiosity is the driving force of a high human development index, and the development of the South could be improved via sponsored hot gay sex commercials.

There's probably a correlation:causation fallacy in there somewhere, but it couldn't hurt to try it anyway.

Contrasted with:

Starting to notice a trend here...

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Contrasted with:

Starting to notice a trend here...

Diabeetus.jpg

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

menino posted:

Diabeetus.jpg

I've started to think there's something fishy about Colorado's health data. Counties in Colorado almost always have much better ratings than neighboring counties in other states. No other state stands out as being so starkly different than its neighbors.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mu Cow posted:

I've started to think there's something fishy about Colorado's health data. Counties in Colorado almost always have much better ratings than neighboring counties in other states. No other state stands out as being so starkly different than its neighbors.

Have you ever been to Colorado? It's actually an extremely health- and fitness-conscious state, with a huge emphasis put on outdoorsmanship, hiking, biking, etc. in all of the large communities.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Muscle Tracer posted:

Have you ever been to Colorado? It's actually an extremely health- and fitness-conscious state, with a huge emphasis put on outdoorsmanship, hiking, biking, etc. in all of the large communities.

Don't forget that pretty much everything in Colorado is uphill from everything else.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Mu Cow posted:

Colorado is just really healthy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Cow posted:

Yeah, but its neighboring states are Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming.

It's a state full of outdoor recreational opportunities and wonderful beer. The best state.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

I lived in Denver, and I observed this, but only in the Denver and Boulder area. So I can accept Denverites being unusually healthy and I can accept that Colorado as a whole is a healthier place to live than most of the US.

What I don't get is why there's such a noticeable difference in health between rural Colorado counties and bordering rural counties just over the state line. I have a hard time believing that life in rural Colorado is that much different than in rural Utah or Kansas.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's in the Colorado Constitution. All county-level health departments report directly to a state Board of Tourism.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Someone take all these obesity and life expectancy charts and overlay it onto a map showing poverty.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Peanut President posted:

Someone take all these obesity and life expectancy charts and overlay it onto a map showing poverty.

That's pretty much exactly what people were doing?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
All I'm seeing is obesity, life expectancy, diabetes, and gay rights?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Peanut President posted:

All I'm seeing is obesity, life expectancy, diabetes, and gay rights?

The second one posted was the Human Development Index which includes relative income.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The second one posted was the Human Development Index which includes relative income.

And was used as a "lol Mississippi" joke.

If you understand that race is correlated with poverty, this map is why there's so much poverty/obesity/etc in that state.

(Mississippi has the highest black percentage population, at 37%)

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011
Openness to foreigners, worldwide:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs..._washingtonpost

The accompanying blogpost says there isn't a unifying theory here, but I disagree. I think it's pretty clear that countries with more nationalistic governments are less welcoming to foreigners. China, Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Argentina, Pakistan...

With a few inexplicable outliers. Why you hate foreigners so much, Denmark?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Andy Impey posted:

The accompanying blogpost says there isn't a unifying theory here, but I disagree. I think it's pretty clear that countries with more nationalistic governments are less welcoming to foreigners. China, Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Argentina, Pakistan...

How the hell is Japan more welcoming of foreigners than the US and Denmark?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

How the hell is Japan more welcoming of foreigners than the US and Denmark?

Yeah Japan should basically be crimson red or whatever if those stories about the insane amount of racism there hold any water. :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah Japan should basically be crimson red or whatever if those stories about the insane amount of racism there hold any water. :psyduck:

They probably mean tourists instead of immigrants.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
“How welcome are foreign visitors in your country?” could mean both tourists and immigrants.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

computer parts posted:

And was used as a "lol Mississippi" joke.

If you understand that race is correlated with poverty, this map is why there's so much poverty/obesity/etc in that state.

(Mississippi has the highest black percentage population, at 37%)
2012 election results by county:

Now someone needs to post a map showing mid-19th century cotton production in the United States by county.

Andy Impey posted:

Why you hate foreigners so much, Denmark?
Muslims (probably)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

dethslayer666 posted:

Muslims (probably)

I'm actually surprised at France being so blue since a recent poll had something like "69% thinks there are too many immigrants".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dethslayer666 posted:

Now someone needs to post a map showing mid-19th century cotton production in the United States by county.

Not quite what you were asking for, but in the neighborhood.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

dethslayer666 posted:

2012 election results by county:

Muslims (probably)

Here's slave population by county in 1860

Big version

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Andy Impey posted:

Well, I looked through the report, and I found this description of what the numbers mean:

WEF posted:

Attitude of population toward foreign visitors
How welcome are foreign visitors in your country? [1 = very unwelcome; 7 = very welcome] | 2011–2012 weighted average
Given that Denmark scored 5.7 out 7, I don't think the color red should really be seen as necessarily indicating dislike of visitors, just that we're worse than the median (6.1).* Given that the median indicates a large proportion of the population being very welcoming to foreigners, falling a bit short of it doesn't mean you hate them. I wonder though how that question was answered by people, because it could be read as either personal opinion about foreigners, or your personal opinion about other people's opinion about foreigners. In the latter case, you could have a bunch of people overstate how loving racists their countrymen are, or the opposite, depending on where they personally fall. I assume the questionnaire was given in local languages, where the question might have been clearer for some than others, skewing the result. Not at all an expert at this poo poo, so please do educate me if I'm being an idiot, but it just seems suspect to me.

And since people wondered about them, Japan is 6.2 and the US 6.0.

*We probably do deserve the least friendly award among the Nordic Countries, we're kind of dicks.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I'm actually surprised at France being so blue since a recent poll had something like "69% thinks there are too many immigrants".
I think the colours are relative to each other. That's why Belgium is listed as dark blue, even though we're everything but welcoming. You're all just worse.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Geology also.

Coastline 85 million years ago

I think this was posted before.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Andy Impey posted:

11 years with a right wing government which got majority with the help of the ultra racist Danks folkeparty ( Danish peoples party). They passed some really lovely laws and made the public discourse take a sharp right regarding immigrants, especially towards muslims and people from eastern Europe. White people from the west are okay though. Its really sad though, recently TV2 news ( our second largest news provider) had an embarrising story, where they mistook a picture from assassins creed showing medieval Damaskus, as the real deal and had a repport about the syrian civil war with that picture as the background. I sadly believe that this mistake happened since it's okay to say and believe that all muslims live in medieval shitholes :(

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

computer parts posted:

Urban centers are generally more liberal no matter where you go. There were a *lot* of LGBT flags the last time I was in Boise, for example.

SLC in particular has a big gay community, too. Where do you think all those rural Mormon kids whose hometowns want to kill or "convert" them end up?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Space Gopher posted:

SLC in particular has a big gay community, too. Where do you think all those rural Mormon kids whose hometowns want to kill or "convert" them end up?

I think GLAAD (or the Advocate, one of the big gay publications/organizations) listed SLC as being the most gay-friendly city in America a few years back. That said, I noticed that map also included Canada a bit and noticed that Labrador (and presumably Newfoundland as well since they both constitute one province) has swung way into "hate dem gays" territory. Also that conservative stronghold Alberta likes the gays more than Ontario. That's kind of interesting.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

I think GLAAD (or the Advocate, one of the big gay publications/organizations) listed SLC as being the most gay-friendly city in America a few years back. That said, I noticed that map also included Canada a bit and noticed that Labrador (and presumably Newfoundland as well since they both constitute one province) has swung way into "hate dem gays" territory. Also that conservative stronghold Alberta likes the gays more than Ontario. That's kind of interesting.
Well, it's not "hate dem gays" really. The map is based on asking self-identified straight people "have you ever had a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex?" and tallying those who have or would like to based on location. All this really tells us is straight OKCupid users in Newfoundland and Labrador are noticeably less interested in such things.

The varying shades of orange across the rest of the country may not even be statistically significant.

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004

Andy Impey posted:

Is it me or is this map... horseshit? China was the most welcoming place I've ever been. I think the key may be that they asked people how welcoming they'd be. Chinese people like to get fired up with *talk* about how nationalistic they are. This breaks down completely at the individual level- like how there are still gun shows in Blue states and gay bars in Red states etc. Like whenever there's some anti-Japanese thing in the news, in China there are anti-Japanese protests and the sushi restaurants put up big Chinese flags... but are still open for business because guess what, Chinese people will still gladly enjoy Japanese food.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Russell William Thorpe posted:

Is it me or is this map... horseshit? China was the most welcoming place I've ever been. I think the key may be that they asked people how welcoming they'd be. Chinese people like to get fired up with *talk* about how nationalistic they are. This breaks down completely at the individual level- like how there are still gun shows in Blue states and gay bars in Red states etc. Like whenever there's some anti-Japanese thing in the news, in China there are anti-Japanese protests and the sushi restaurants put up big Chinese flags... but are still open for business because guess what, Chinese people will still gladly enjoy Japanese food.

The nationalism stuff isn't just talk though- to use the example you cite, it's not as though the anti-Japanese protests have been limited to figurative or symbolic actions.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Did you go to the parts of China that are closed to foreigners without the government's approval?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Part of the problem is going to China can be a crapshoot. This map has obvious flaws because labeling such a huge geographical area with more than a billion people and all kinds of closed, not closed, for tourists, exposed to tourists, never seen a foreigner, etc places is not easy. They used an index which is probably inaccurate for much of the country. It also could be a people vs government divide or anything you could imagine.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

China scored itself as a 5.5/7. While that's only good enough for 130th of the 140 countries on the report, it doesn't really seem like a terribly bad score. If the range of that map was the full 1-7 available on the survey, no countries would be in the red, and only Bolivia and Venezuela would be that ridiculous purple color that they chose between the red and blue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The map is so meaningless as to be useless. People treat different foreigners differently. A pasty white man doesn't get the same reception as a black man in most countries of the world, not to mention in some of the Eastern European countries. The Chinese diaspora get a much better reception in China than a Japanese, but we're all considered "foreign visitors" in that survey. I don't know what company, academic or layman can meaningfully use that map.

Fist of Foucault
Jul 4, 2012

Discipline and punish

There are plenty of problems with the data but this isn't a very good argument against it - having gay bars in red states does not make those states gay-friendly, and enjoying Japanese food doesn't mean you like Japanese people (hell, 'enjoying Japanese products but not liking Japanese people' is virtually a stereotype for Chinese and Koreans). Not to mention that there's a world of difference between whatever anecdotal experience you had and the statistical average experience of 'foreign visitors' in general. For any positive anecdote someone else can bring up a negative one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

I would be really interested to see a similar map based on the permissiveness of immigration laws rather than self-described attitudes toward visitors - I think you'd get a much better picture of how people (or at least governments) actually feel about foreigners coming and hanging around for a while, not just dropping in for a week-long vacation.