Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Would there be any reason for me to upgrade to Painter 11 from Painter 8? I don't know if it's worth the price tag.

Also, what resolution should I work at (pixels/inch)? Does it make a difference? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I figure Painter's a digital art tool and people were discussing the program earlier in the thread.

\/ Thanks, those numbers are helpful. I'll try out Painter 11 and see if it's enough of a change for me to want it.

Portals fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those are pretty broad questions, but going from 8 to 11 is a big step and adds a lot of new features and improvements. You're going to have to look at what those are and judge if you'll need them yourself.

The second question is also too subjective and needs more detail. What's the image going to be used for? Your own entertainment? A rough sketch? A book cover or a giant poster? 300dpi is the standard for print work, 150 for digital images (used to be 72 but RETINA) or poster sized output. Over the years though, I've just learned through experience that I should just make the image as large as possible, resolution wise and shrink down for final output.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

Flipperwaldt posted:

Wacom has the Inkling. From reviews when it came out, I understand it has its downsides, mainly the the tip of the pen has to stay in line of sight of the receiver, which doesn't give you the freedom to hold the pen in the most natural way at all times or something like that (it's been a while since I checked up on the thing, so don't quote me on this). Accuracy isn't perfect either.

I also guess clipping it to the top of a monitor wouldn't work the way you'd like, since it would store the drawings internally, instead of doing real time transfer of the gestures to some computersoftware. Not to mention that it would take quite some calibration to get the poo poo on your screen to match what you were drawing positionally if it did.

I don't know of anything that would turn any monitor into a cheap cintiq-like device and I suspect Wacom doesn't care for developing one either. I think systems like Kinect aren't accurate enough either, even if someone would develop a software backend for it.

I had an inkling for about a month and I can say that it is not worth the money. I ended up returning it because of how inaccurate and sensitive it was. I taped the paper to a flat surface and the taped the inkling sensor to the surface so it wouldn't move and it still picked up lines all over the place. I would not advise buying this. You can get a scanner for a lot less and get better results than the inkling.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I wanted to get a gift for someone and here is my dilemma.

Current recipient is a full time and freelance graphic designer, has a bamboo tablet and kind of a bum laptop. The laptop is currently operational, and can do sufficient work, but I'd like to upgrade this person's equipment. I have been looking at both Cintiq 22"HD and Intuos5 tablets, but also at the same time as looking at some really nice iMacs and Macbook pros.

My main concern is: Does a really nice iMac 21.5" make one of those nice new cintiq display tablets unnecessary or vice versa. Would getting a powerful laptop, and the Cintiq be the better idea? Or getting the iMac with an Intuos be more efficient?

Money is definitely a factor, but the gift will be a joint family kind of gift, so I'm expecting it in the 2-3 thousand range. Just wondering what item, or combination of items, will have the most utility for at home graphic design studio.

Thanks!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Noah posted:

My main concern is: Does a really nice iMac 21.5" make one of those nice new cintiq display tablets unnecessary or vice versa. Would getting a powerful laptop, and the Cintiq be the better idea? Or getting the iMac with an Intuos be more efficient?

Money is definitely a factor, but the gift will be a joint family kind of gift, so I'm expecting it in the 2-3 thousand range. Just wondering what item, or combination of items, will have the most utility for at home graphic design studio.

Thanks!

The ability to work directly on the screen is the most important thing. You can attach a Cintiq to anything and it improves the working experience. The computer it's attached to doesn't even need to be all that powerful. When the iMac is obsolete, the Cintiq will still be valuable because you will be able to hook it up to whatever, Mac or PC.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Okay, cool. That is handy. I'm also a little concerned with economy of space. Would having a desktop computer, and a large cintiq (they get heavy, like 30-60 pounds) be unwieldy? And would the monitor of the desktop be superficial since the designer would be using the cintiq primarily?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You definitely need a large workspace. I have an older model which is on an Ergotron arm, but I don't believe the newer ones are light enough to be put on an arm. The newer Cintiqs have their own stands which have a large footprint.

An extra monitor is never a bad thing. Depending on where the design work is going, you may have to work a bit to calibrate the color of the Cintiq with another display.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
So I was poking around my campus bookstore, which also sells equipment, and they had a non-retina Macbook Pro for 1099 on clearance. I was looking at Cintiq's 22HD display https://www.wacom.com/store/pages/product?product=DTK2200&crumb=DF740487-4401-4D44-A3DC-BE552253C0E6 and combined with this swivel mount http://www.amazon.com/LX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z seems like it could be a really great setup. It should come to be around $3500 after taxes and whatnot, does this sound like a worthy investment for someone who makes their career out of it?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah that sounds pretty good to me at least.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Noah posted:

So I was poking around my campus bookstore, which also sells equipment, and they had a non-retina Macbook Pro for 1099 on clearance. I was looking at Cintiq's 22HD display https://www.wacom.com/store/pages/product?product=DTK2200&crumb=DF740487-4401-4D44-A3DC-BE552253C0E6 and combined with this swivel mount http://www.amazon.com/LX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z seems like it could be a really great setup. It should come to be around $3500 after taxes and whatnot, does this sound like a worthy investment for someone who makes their career out of it?

Double check that the arm is rated to hold the weight of that cintiq. I have an earlier, non-HD cintiq and it was just at the limit of my arm; I'm not sure how generous the ratings are as far as how much heavier you can get before the arm fails. The impression I get with my setup is that I may not be able to go much past the current cintiq's weight before I'd run into problems. It is a great setup for working though- I'm not a graphics professional, I use it for other stuff mostly, but it's a lot easier than dealing with the lovely stand that comes with the monitor.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Listerine posted:

Double check that the arm is rated to hold the weight of that cintiq. I have an earlier, non-HD cintiq and it was just at the limit of my arm; I'm not sure how generous the ratings are as far as how much heavier you can get before the arm fails. The impression I get with my setup is that I may not be able to go much past the current cintiq's weight before I'd run into problems. It is a great setup for working though- I'm not a graphics professional, I use it for other stuff mostly, but it's a lot easier than dealing with the lovely stand that comes with the monitor.

For sure, thank you for pointing that out. Looks like the Cintiq runs 18.7 pounds (though the shipping weight is substantially more, like 29 pounds, wtf) and the swing arm has a potential to hold up to 20 pounds, with a caveat that extra thick displays may reduce effective load bearing.

On the amazon site itself it shows that those who purchased the cintiq also purchased this swing arm, but that might just be amazing trying to push a product and not actual people who are using it effectively. I'll keep looking other, tougher swing arms/swivel sticks that could reliably hold up to 30 pounds.

I really don't know why there's such a huge gap between the 12x and the 22HD. Why wouldn't there be a middle option in there?

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
The Cintiq 22 doesn't actually feel that big to me. It's like the size of a normal 22 inch displayed

The 24hd however is absurdly large and heavy and requires a ton of desk space; the borders around the active area are ridiculously large and the thing weighs like 70 lbs. Ship weight was like 90-- and I had to send mine back twice because of manufacturer's defects-- not a fun thing to bring up and down the stairs that many times.

So in comparison, the 22 is totally a reasonably sized display.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
E: double post, fat fingers on a smartphone

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
E: I officially give up on editing. Sorry, phone being weird.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Noah posted:

For sure, thank you for pointing that out. Looks like the Cintiq runs 18.7 pounds (though the shipping weight is substantially more, like 29 pounds, wtf) and the swing arm has a potential to hold up to 20 pounds, with a caveat that extra thick displays may reduce effective load bearing.

I think you would be fine, actually. I have a thicker and heavier, older cintiq, and I'm right at the weight limit for my arm- the 22 coming in over a pound under should be okay on that arm.

The shipping weight is higher because it ships with its own stand, and if it's built the same as the one I got, it's heavy on its own. Then there are the other accessories, cables, etc.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Hm, okay, I think this is working now.

Anyone with a monoprice mind telling me if this matches up with what you've got?

I've heard that you can sometimes get newer drivers from the manufacturer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, maybe this is a common problem, or maybe I'm just stupid. I still can't get used to the fact that when drawing on my Bamboo it's at a different angle to the screen in front of me. I'm not very good at explaining it, but it bugs me just enough that I resorted to sketching on my Galaxy Note instead. Is it just something you eventually get used to or is there a trick to it?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Well hello there

http://cintiq13hd.wacom.com/en

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Oh snaps!

edit: well not out yet, and no price listed.

I'm guessing it'll come in at a $1500-1700.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Noah posted:

Oh snaps!

edit: well not out yet, and no price listed.

I'm guessing it'll come in at a $1500-1700.

It is coming out early april and the price is $999, same as the old model it replaces. It is listed on the main wacom website.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Oh hey, even better news. Thanks!

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
That's pretty exciting! The huge bummer I had about the 12" was that it lacked portability because of all the cables and heavy control box it had. And the monitor itself was quite dim -- I wonder if they've fixed both of these issues in the 13. Having a portable second monitor is really appealing to me as a laptop user.

Though I remember reading that Wacom's also working on their own portable tablet.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
The screen looks way better than the 12" but I think the heavy control box stays the same. It still requires a wall plug to power up which is lame.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

keyframe posted:

The screen looks way better than the 12" but I think the heavy control box stays the same. It still requires a wall plug to power up which is lame.
No heavy control box, but it looks like you're right about the wall plug. At least you wouldn't be stuck in one room in your house with it, though.

There's this, which is supposedly pretty good, even though you wouldn't be able to use the pressure sensitive stylus in photoshop with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ijyt posted:

Man, maybe this is a common problem, or maybe I'm just stupid. I still can't get used to the fact that when drawing on my Bamboo it's at a different angle to the screen in front of me. I'm not very good at explaining it, but it bugs me just enough that I resorted to sketching on my Galaxy Note instead. Is it just something you eventually get used to or is there a trick to it?
When I have my Bamboo on a desk, I don't have much of a problem; years of practise with a mouse make it natural to understand that forward is up and back is down. And it took less than a week to get used to not looking at my pen while drawing.

It's just when I have the Bamboo in my lap that I start to rotate it to draw angled lines, as I would do with a piece of paper and it's really confusing that the picture on the screen doesn't rotate along with it :I They should put accelerometers in it or something and feed that back to the software.

I don't know if that's what you're talking about?

In any case, maybe something that's sold as an (ipad-type of) tablet stand can mitigate your disorientation? For me it's enough that the rubber feet on the bottom prevent me from accidentally reorienting the tablet itself, but thinking about it, an angled stand could be something I'm interested in as well anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

When I have my Bamboo on a desk, I don't have much of a problem; years of practise with a mouse make it natural to understand that forward is up and back is down. And it took less than a week to get used to not looking at my pen while drawing.

It's just when I have the Bamboo in my lap that I start to rotate it to draw angled lines, as I would do with a piece of paper and it's really confusing that the picture on the screen doesn't rotate along with it :I They should put accelerometers in it or something and feed that back to the software.

I don't know if that's what you're talking about?

In any case, maybe something that's sold as an (ipad-type of) tablet stand can mitigate your disorientation? For me it's enough that the rubber feet on the bottom prevent me from accidentally reorienting the tablet itself, but thinking about it, an angled stand could be something I'm interested in as well anyway.

Yeah, reorientating the tablet was what I meant. :v:

Seriously though, accelerometers that reproduced Photoshop's Ctrl+R would be incredible, you'd think someone would have caught on to that by now.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just rotate the canvas instead of the tablet. I know that both SAI and Manga Studio make it really easy to do that temporarily for this exact reason.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Bored posted:

There's this, which is supposedly pretty good, even though you wouldn't be able to use the pressure sensitive stylus in photoshop with it.

I am sure there's a way to get the Surface Pro's digitizer to play nice with Photoshop. Pretty much every tablet with a Wacom digitizer seems to have driver woes out the rear end until you find just the right version.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

MY ABACUS! posted:

I am sure there's a way to get the Surface Pro's digitizer to play nice with Photoshop. Pretty much every tablet with a Wacom digitizer seems to have driver woes out the rear end until you find just the right version.

Its not that the drivers are broken, its that Microsoft didn't include any kind of WinTab drivers which most high end graphics applications use. Unless someone out there finds a solution, it's going to be a waiting game for Microsoft to release those drivers.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
I'm just a hobbyist and I've been using mice to draw and sculpt for all these years and I have to say pressure sensitivity sounds really nice for both 2d and 3d. I've never used a stylus interface to design before so I'm not quite sure what kind of a difference stylus (styluses? styli?) make. Would anyone with experience sculpting with programs like Zbrush and Mudbox mind explaining how using a stylus and mouse differs, and if styluses(?) are their usual choice in their personal experience?

I'm beginning to look into inexpensive (<$100, preferably < $70...) entry-level tablet to work with. I guess I'd use it primarily for both 3d (Zbrush 4/Mudbox 2013) and 2d with Photoshop CS6 at the moment. Would some of these entry level Wacom tablets be a good starting point or would I be missing out with no "tilt sensitivity" and "Multi-touch input"?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

That wacom cintiq13hd is listed as "a-Si Active Matrix TFT LCD (IPS)", which doesn't make sense. Is it a TFT screen or an IPS? If it's TFT then they hosed up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phraggah posted:

I'm just a hobbyist and I've been using mice to draw and sculpt for all these years and I have to say pressure sensitivity sounds really nice for both 2d and 3d. I've never used a stylus interface to design before so I'm not quite sure what kind of a difference stylus (styluses? styli?) make. Would anyone with experience sculpting with programs like Zbrush and Mudbox mind explaining how using a stylus and mouse differs, and if styluses(?) are their usual choice in their personal experience?

I'm beginning to look into inexpensive (<$100, preferably < $70...) entry-level tablet to work with. I guess I'd use it primarily for both 3d (Zbrush 4/Mudbox 2013) and 2d with Photoshop CS6 at the moment. Would some of these entry level Wacom tablets be a good starting point or would I be missing out with no "tilt sensitivity" and "Multi-touch input"?

I use Photoshop and Zbrush regularly with a wacom and it is a world of difference. Working with just a mouse, you dont have pressure sensitivity, so it's as if you're painting but you can only mash the brush down with maximum pressure. No subtlety of strokes or feathering out and fading and natural curves.

You can definitely just get started with entry level tablets without tilt sensitivity and prior to last year, tablets have never had multi-touch input and no one's ever complained. I dont think that's a big selling point for the non-cintiq tablets anyway.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm crossposting this here from the "stupid little questions" thread because I figured someone here might know! Any help would be very appreciated! :)

I used to use this really handy Photoshop plug in called KillWhite. This was great because ti deleted out all the white in a picture, so all transparency is retained... so you could take a picture of a drinking glass on a white background, delete out the white and effortlessly fake any other kind of background and it would realistically show through the glass.

Unfortunately I'm using CS6 now and have long since upgraded out of a version of Photoshop where this plug in actually works, and I can't find anything as a comparable replacement. Possibly I'm just not googling hard enough but I've tried every now and then and I just can't find it... I've made do with using crappy workarounds like selecting Color Range and deleting out white that way but it's not nearly as effective.

Anyone know a suitable replacement that would still work? I'm also using Mac machines so anything Windows only is out, unfortunately... but I'd love it if there was something out there I could use.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Frown Town posted:

Though I remember reading that Wacom's also working on their own portable tablet.
I heard the same thing from a sales rep at a comic convention booth; he said to look for announcements around August. Both the prospect of a tablet and smaller, more user-friendly Cintiq are music to my ears.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

1. I can't test this on a 64 bit CS6 Photoshop. I noticed it only works on regular layers, not background layers (32 bit CS5). The effects of trying the plugin on a background layer is roughly what I see people complaining about here and there. So if you get weird colors and poo poo after applying, try converting the layer to a regular layer first. Probably not your problem, but worth mentioning, I guess.

2. You can get similar, though not absolutely identical effects by using layer blending options, blend if grey, alt-click on the "this layer" grayscale gradient bar near the white node to split it and drag it (almost, like 64/255 or less) all the way to the left. This might be close enough, depending on your purposes.

3. I have not tried it, but looking at some of the examples on the website, this Photoshop Transparency plugin might be able to do it. There's a demo and at €19 you could do worse if this works as desired. 64 bit CS6 and Mac compatibility are mentioned on the site.

4. Shittiest workaround: GIMP apparently has a "color to alpha" function that does exactly this, except for whatever color you pick.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

1. I can't test this on a 64 bit CS6 Photoshop. I noticed it only works on regular layers, not background layers (32 bit CS5). The effects of trying the plugin on a background layer is roughly what I see people complaining about here and there. So if you get weird colors and poo poo after applying, try converting the layer to a regular layer first. Probably not your problem, but worth mentioning, I guess.

2. You can get similar, though not absolutely identical effects by using layer blending options, blend if grey, alt-click on the "this layer" grayscale gradient bar near the white node to split it and drag it (almost, like 64/255 or less) all the way to the left. This might be close enough, depending on your purposes.

3. I have not tried it, but looking at some of the examples on the website, this Photoshop Transparency plugin might be able to do it. There's a demo and at €19 you could do worse if this works as desired. 64 bit CS6 and Mac compatibility are mentioned on the site.

4. Shittiest workaround: GIMP apparently has a "color to alpha" function that does exactly this, except for whatever color you pick.

Cool, I'll give that plug-in a look. Thanks! It seems like such a simple thing but it was pretty frustrating when I switched to CS6 and couldn't use it anymore.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

redjenova posted:

Cool, I'll give that plug-in a look. Thanks! It seems like such a simple thing but it was pretty frustrating when I switched to CS6 and couldn't use it anymore.

You could also play with the wand tool's feathering and use it to make an alpha channel.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 2, 2013

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just a heads up to UK goons, it seems Monoprice have started selling on Amazon.co.uk as well, save yourselves that ridiculous shipping cost from the States.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-10x6-25-Graphic-Drawing-Programmable/dp/B004C4ZT0G

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

phnuggle posted:

Just a heads up to UK goons, it seems Monoprice have started selling on Amazon.co.uk as well, save yourselves that ridiculous shipping cost from the States.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-10x6-25-Graphic-Drawing-Programmable/dp/B004C4ZT0G

Yeah, that's where I got mine.

It's pretty awesome now that I have the driver issues sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

I use Photoshop and Zbrush regularly with a wacom and it is a world of difference. Working with just a mouse, you dont have pressure sensitivity, so it's as if you're painting but you can only mash the brush down with maximum pressure. No subtlety of strokes or feathering out and fading and natural curves.

You can definitely just get started with entry level tablets without tilt sensitivity and prior to last year, tablets have never had multi-touch input and no one's ever complained. I dont think that's a big selling point for the non-cintiq tablets anyway.

Hey thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pressure sensitivity changes my work. I'm looking at Wacom Bamboo Splash because it seems to be the only Wacom in my price range, as well as Monprice's of equivalent or lesser cost. Would anyone care to explain any significant differences in the average low-end (<$100) Monprice and Wacom tablets? Things like pressure sensitivity, responsiveness, longevity, compatibility, drivers, all the good stuff. Are there any models of either brand that I should gravitate towards or stay away from? Or even other brands should consider?

Perhaps most importantly, what's the minimum size I should be looking at? These 4x3 inch Monprices look adorable but I don't think it would be easy to make anything with them...