Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Ted posted:

What's your method of screen capture? Let's see if we can't get them looking nicer.
I'm using the Android's standard screen capture since everything else I found required my device to be rooted. It's brand new and I'm not looking to void the warranty or risk bricking it just yet. The screenshots themselves however automatically save as PNGs so that's one plus.

The emulator it self has an option to stretch the game to fit the entire screen or run in a 4:3 ratio. I'm doing the second option then cropping out the black borders. That leaves the game screen at 1066 pixels wide so I re-size them using another photo app.

There is another graphics option I could choose that might help.

Orginal:

New:
[img]http://lpix.org/1138491/Screenshot_2013-03-24-09-07-47[1].png[/img]

of course that doesn't help with them being huge in file size. If the second one is no good then I'll try running the emulator on my laptop and hope for the best.

Niggurath posted:

Also outside of what Tuxedo Ted said, the images look a bit washed out. And more on just an opinion side of things, but I usually prefer character portraits over just text for a name; I understand if it might be hard to find some for random NPC's, like guards, but I at least assume there's something out there for the primary characters.

I was originally going to attempt finding suitable portraits for NPC's like using Captain Crunch for the Draconis Captain. However right away I ran into trouble in the first update with all the NPC's (Crewman, Officer, First-mate, Technical First Officer) and it only get's worse from there. Not to mention trying to find a bunch of these portraits get them all the same size and making them look nice.

gatz posted:

Good work. One suggestion I can give is to make animated gifs of things that you're just describing, or showing through screenshots like casting fireball.
I did originally have all those as screenshots but the update got huge. Like 100+ images so I started trimming out a lot of screenshots to bring down the number.

Honestly though, the kicking is barely noticeable and the crewman picking up the coffee just stands next to it and it magically rights it self up.

gatz posted:

Also, using sprites instead of underlined names indicating who's speaking is another suggestion I can give.

I can probably try this with GIMP.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

When it comes time to ask the thread to name them though, you could at least say what their default name is.
You can change names on the fly at anytime so there will more than likely be some time in the game where you see their original names so I don't think that'll be too big of an issue.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I agree that you should try and find portraits at least for the party member characters, and that the images could definitely look better. If nothing else, you could use their overworld sprites to make portraits.
The overworld sprites could actually work. There's a little box on the side that shows your party walking along that I might be able to use.

Bitter_one13 posted:

I noticed you said it took you forever to capture that image of the axe being chucked. Might I suggest just video recording yourself playing and yank your screen shots from that? I know you're running off android, so if that's not really an option then I understand.

I looked into it but everything I found required my device to be rooted.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The second screenshot is just about perfect; grab OptiPNG or PNGCrush and run either one on your screenshots (use the -brute option with PNGCrush, but I'd recommend OptiPNG cos it optimizes in-place), and you'll save about 10-20% on filesize depending on content & screenshot-taker settings.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aerdan posted:

OptiPNG or PNGCrush

I just tried downloading both of these and I have no idea how to use them. I did however find a program called PNG optimizer and it gave me this in return.

[timg]http://lpix.org/1138677/Screenshot_2013-03-24-09-07-47[1].png[/timg]

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I have optipng and I love it. You just drag and drop whatever images you want to optimize on the optipng exe. However, it looks like whatever program you used works just as well, because I can't optimize it further.

What's the resolution of those screenshots before you resize them to 640x480? It looks like they're stretched out compared to Dragonatrix's screenshot.

gatz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 24, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Before re-sizing they're 1066x800

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
That's odd. It seems that whatever android emulator you're using isn't displaying the game at its native resolutions. It may be best to use your laptop because Dragonatrix pointed out that the game uses multiple resolutions.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

...uh. Yeah, don't try to do an LP off your Samsung Galaxy Tab or whatever, of all things.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I tried the emulator on my laptop and got some quick grabs.

The first one is 640X480, the second one is 512X480 because I presumed that's what the game was running at since that's the dimensions that Dragonatrix, and the final one is my resized to 640X480 from my android. All three were run through OptiPNG now that I figured that one out.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=11244

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

How did you get the screengrab for the 512x480 screen? It looks a fair bit blurrier compared to one posted by Dragonatrix earlier.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Doesn't whatever emulator you're using have built-in screenshot or video recording features? You may want to use those.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm using epsxe and I did use the built in "snap" function. Could be a graphics setting?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Volume posted:

I'm using epsxe and I did use the built in "snap" function. Could be a graphics setting?

Yeah, I'm not an epsxe master, but I'm thinking it's rendering wrong. Using Dragonatrix's shot that's correct, I can't find a way to scale to get the same (or really even similar) images you got.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ePSXe captures at the resolution you're currently at when you hit F8. If you're running it fullscreen, stretched or not, you tend to get really hosed up resolutions. 640x480 in windowed mode is the way to go.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Testposting for Dead Rising 2

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=11246

I tried hosting my images through Minus like the tech thread suggested, but I keep getting broken links for every picture once I put the [img] tags on. Is Minus just not any good for hosting anymore? I was hoping to use it since I'm doing screencaps via FRAPS and the captures are 1920x1080, way too big for the forums.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Minus still works fine; the only issue is the way you've got the links written. Rather than what you have, it should be:

code:
http://i5.minus.com/jF834C8In1aPU.jpg
Sticking the IMG tags on that, would give you what you want:

e;

Volume posted:

I've never really liked ePSXe that much, so this is possible (in my entirely anecdotal experience, it's too much hassle for no real benefits at all). I used pSX 1.13 to quickly grab the images I posted, so I'd recommend trying that instead if you can.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 24, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Just out of curiosity, why would you make a SSLP of Dead Rising 2?

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Testposting for Dead Rising 2
Are you trying to do a screenshot lp of DR2? By all means go nuts and do whatever format you really want to, but drat that seems like a shame. I can't imagine how a screenshot lp of that game could be better or more entertaining than watching a vlp of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Minus still works fine; the only issue is the way you've got the links written. Rather than what you have, it should be:

code:
http://i5.minus.com/jF834C8In1aPU.jpg
Sticking the IMG tags on that, would give you what you want:

I see, I had to say edit, then save it so that it stayed the same size rather than ballooning up. Thanks!

Modified link: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=11246

Any thoughts? Halfway decent? Utter poo poo?

EDIT:

Hampooj posted:

Are you trying to do a screenshot lp of DR2? By all means go nuts and do whatever format you really want to, but drat that seems like a shame. I can't imagine how a screenshot lp of that game could be better or more entertaining than watching a vlp of it.

While I will probably record segments of running around smashing zombies in, I've gone through the game thinking if I could reliably LP through all the dead space that is involved in running around to the different segments and I think that it'd be better for a "story" SSLP with some un-narrated mayhem recorded on the side.

I'm going to try and demonstrate all of the weapons in the game, so those will at the very least be videos.

e2: Idea, screen shot and explain the locations and story/etc, but record the running between locations and stick that in the middle of whenever it happens, just a youtube link.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok then, after playing around all day with EPSXE settings, I came close to what Dragonatrix originally posted for his Tales of Destiny screengrab.

Dragonatrix's Screenshot:

Closest I can get to that:

It's not perfect. There's some stretching going on with the sprites but I would feel comfortable using that quality for my LP.

Dragonatrix posted:

I used pSX 1.13 to quickly grab the images I posted, so I'd recommend trying that instead if you can.

Oh neat, lets give that a shot!

:negative:

I couldn't find any options to change what size it takes the screenshot at so I did a simple re-sizing in MS Paint

total drop in quality.

helloitsdan
Aug 29, 2006

The problem with doing a story-oriented run of a game like Dead Rising 2 is that you're kinda missing the point; you're gutting the game by removing most of the action and the worry of keeping yourself alive and running from place to place trying to keep time. I'm not sure what's left to show other than bits of the cutscenes--again, something that'd be served better by video, as the series relies on a technique called "Visceral Grossiness" which tends to work better when you can see bits flying around

quote:

Sheesh, I was asking her name, not if she’s 18 yet. Don’t look at me like that.
Although… those high cheekbones, that slick hair, that massive cleft chin that looks like two-

oh okay that's what is left

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Volume posted:

Ok then, after playing around all day with EPSXE settings, I came close to what Dragonatrix originally posted for his Tales of Destiny screengrab.

I doubt resizing in Paint is very good, use Irfanview, and make its set to resize, not resample.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

helloitsdan posted:

The problem with doing a story-oriented run of a game like Dead Rising 2 is that you're kinda missing the point; you're gutting the game by removing most of the action and the worry of keeping yourself alive and running from place to place trying to keep time. I'm not sure what's left to show other than bits of the cutscenes--again, something that'd be served better by video, as the series relies on a technique called "Visceral Grossiness" which tends to work better when you can see bits flying around

oh okay that's what is left

Hmm... perhaps you're right. The game isn't terribly challenging except for bosses so I've started to think of it more as a story game, but perhaps that's missing the point.

I'll see about a video, or maybe start with another less-sandboxy game.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Volume posted:

Dragonatrix's Screenshot:

Closest I can get to that:

It's not perfect. There's some stretching going on with the sprites but I would feel comfortable using that quality for my LP.

I couldn't find any options to change what size it takes the screenshot at so I did a simple re-sizing in MS Paint

total drop in quality.

Save all your images in the same folder, load IrfanView, push B (batch conversion), enter 200% enlarge, uncheck "Resample" option and it should give you exactly what you want. Basically you want 200% nearest neighbour resize from this one:

to get to this:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Volume posted:

That's actually really good, because it's capturing at native resolution when it does things like that. Resizing like others have already suggested is what you want to do with these. You can set Irfanview's batch process to scale by 200% (instead of raw numbers), so if you end up with shots at varying resolutions because of Playstation shenanigans, you don't have to worry about some of them coming out wonky as opposed to others.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Yup. pSX takes screenshots at the PS1's 'native' resolution (320x240), rather than at the resolution you're actually playing on. The above posts do just fine explaining how to cleanly resize 'em.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
People are suggesting irfanview, but I've always used a program called multiple image resizer .net. Could I get an opinion from someone who knows more about computer software than I do on if I should switch to irfanview?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo! Final result:

Thank you so much, Sandcastle. Made this whole day of frustration worth it. I'll get on redoing my first test post.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
For the screenshots, when I tried to LP Tales of Destiny, I was using pSX whatever version, and irfanview. My video recording abilities at the time were choppy, so I didn't try to record a video of what I played, which was kind of annoying when your battle system is fully active. Now, that said I forgot what I did for my screenshots before.

As for the portraits, for the party at least, I still have those kicking around from when I tried the game. They're from the PS2 version and come in various expressions. If you want them, I could easily upload them to some place, though I don't know where exactly would be best for you.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hmm... perhaps you're right. The game isn't terribly challenging except for bosses so I've started to think of it more as a story game, but perhaps that's missing the point.

If the game is really cake, you could spice it up by having audience participation challenges sort of like what Lunethex started off with in his current RE6 LP. I know the combat isn't quite as crazy actiony as RE6, but I'm sure you could have some interesting challenges people could come up with, to make things harder or more interesting for you. However, that might not even be necessary. The challenges in the RE6 thread got dropped not because they weren't neat to see him accomplish, but because he was purposely limiting himself and people really enjoyed seeing him just tear poo poo up the way he wanted to and that was really fun just to watch the game be played by someone really good at it and to see how insane poo poo gets in the thick of battle.

As for the boring parts, just speed up or edit out the really boring travel time would be my suggestion. I know I'd love to see a really good DR2 vlp. I loved the older DR1 vlp from a couple years back, I'm enjoying the current DR2:OTR LP that just started, and a real DR2 LP would be great too, but I really don't think it would work as screenshots.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

divide by zero posted:

As for the portraits, for the party at least, I still have those kicking around from when I tried the game. They're from the PS2 version and come in various expressions. If you want them, I could easily upload them to some place, though I don't know where exactly would be best for you.

That would be a huge help, thank you so much. Which ever uploader is easiest for you will be fine by me.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.

Volume posted:

That would be a huge help, thank you so much. Which ever uploader is easiest for you will be fine by me.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pcpl36zzom7yl44 There you go. These are the ones I made, so I apologize for any lack of quality that might be on them. I tried to look for the full ones, but I don't think they came over when I got a new computer.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

divide by zero posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?pcpl36zzom7yl44 There you go. These are the ones I made, so I apologize for any lack of quality that might be on them. I tried to look for the full ones, but I don't think they came over when I got a new computer.
You are a lifesaver!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Volume, you might also want to check out The Spriters Resource for ToD sprites, if you want to use them for some of the other characters.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

To combat dead air, Bring in some co-commentator's if they know SOMETHING about the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hampooj posted:

If the game is really cake, you could spice it up by having audience participation challenges sort of like what Lunethex started off with in his current RE6 LP. I know the combat isn't quite as crazy actiony as RE6, but I'm sure you could have some interesting challenges people could come up with, to make things harder or more interesting for you. However, that might not even be necessary. The challenges in the RE6 thread got dropped not because they weren't neat to see him accomplish, but because he was purposely limiting himself and people really enjoyed seeing him just tear poo poo up the way he wanted to and that was really fun just to watch the game be played by someone really good at it and to see how insane poo poo gets in the thick of battle.

As for the boring parts, just speed up or edit out the really boring travel time would be my suggestion. I know I'd love to see a really good DR2 vlp. I loved the older DR1 vlp from a couple years back, I'm enjoying the current DR2:OTR LP that just started, and a real DR2 LP would be great too, but I really don't think it would work as screenshots.

I did do a couple test videos, ended up taking hours after having to see the start so many times to get the stupid tech working.

Part 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyg9ru_dead-rising-2-part-1_videogames#.UU-3-BxQGSo

Part 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xygbcc_dead-rising-2-part-2-ladies_videogames#.UU_B3xxQGSo (Reuploaded with the voice levels knocked up a notch. If it's too grating I can reset them and turn down the game volume instead)

Just want some feedback in terms of levels, etc. More on the second than the first; the first is mostly cutscenes and I'm not the one to try and talk over them.

I did notice that I was a bit rushed in speaking and dropped some words, etc. it's because the windows here were so small between the cutscenes. I'll be able to talk more when we get out and about. I might switch to live commentary, I generally don't do that because fraps usually cuts out the loading screens which means you have to constantly resync the audio, but this one not so much.

e. I know that the first video has the source audio drowning my voice out, I didn't change it because it's almost completely irrelevant in terms of talking. It's 95% cutscene. I did change the levels in the following video, though it didn't help a ton. The rest of the game doesn't have so much goddamn screaming, so hopefully it'll work better.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 25, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kheldarn posted:

Volume, you might also want to check out The Spriters Resource for ToD sprites, if you want to use them for some of the other characters.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't even know how to use those. And also they seem a bit small.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Volume posted:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't even know how to use those. And also they seem a bit small.

They're pixel-to-pixel rips straight from the game files. Just right-click > Save as... and then crop out whichever character sprite you want to use. GIMP is a decent option, as it's easier to set up transparency for portraits than with Paint (pretty much impossible there). Pixlr works as an alternative in your browser if you want. After you've cropped the portrait and added whatever transparency you want, then you can increase the image size if you need to.

For example, just going to the Status Portraits page, right-click > Copy Image URL..., importing the URL in Pixlr, setting the selection tool to a fixed size 64x64, and then Copy>Paste to a new image with Transparency got me this portrait:

Took all of a couple minutes to remove the white-space using the magic wand tool on Pixlr.

Edit:
Forgot the sailor! I'd definitely use IrfanView's resize option. Looks better than Pixlr's.

1:1

Pixlr (x2)

IrfanView (x2)

These might be too large, depending on preferences, but it's just a couple examples.

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 25, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I did do a couple test videos, ended up taking hours after having to see the start so many times to get the stupid tech working.

Part 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyg9ru_dead-rising-2-part-1_videogames#.UU-3-BxQGSo

Part 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xygbcc_dead-rising-2-part-2-ladies_videogames#.UU_B3xxQGSo (Reuploaded with the voice levels knocked up a notch. If it's too grating I can reset them and turn down the game volume instead)

Just want some feedback in terms of levels, etc. More on the second than the first; the first is mostly cutscenes and I'm not the one to try and talk over them.

I did notice that I was a bit rushed in speaking and dropped some words, etc. it's because the windows here were so small between the cutscenes. I'll be able to talk more when we get out and about. I might switch to live commentary, I generally don't do that because fraps usually cuts out the loading screens which means you have to constantly resync the audio, but this one not so much.

e. I know that the first video has the source audio drowning my voice out, I didn't change it because it's almost completely irrelevant in terms of talking. It's 95% cutscene. I did change the levels in the following video, though it didn't help a ton. The rest of the game doesn't have so much goddamn screaming, so hopefully it'll work better.
How exactly were you encoding these videos because there's a lot of artifacting and maybe they are still re-encoding on Dailymotion, but it seems right now they are topping out at 480 which is also probably hurting your quality. I'm also questioning the slowdown you are getting because I've played and recorded this on PC, and it was never slowing down that much. In regards to your audio, you were audible but I feel like you might have turned down the game audio a bit too much as it was pretty low. But really, it might be good to work on the video quality and game slowdown first.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tales of Destiny test post take 2!

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=11256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
Last week I posted a video for a playthrough I want to do of the Ninja Gaiden NES trilogy for the hard games thread, and Niggurath gave me some advice (which I appreciate). I've now put together a run of the first two stages that I'm fairly happy with (I cut out cutscenes for this post).

http://youtu.be/YZT4ffRt-1I

I also did a short video talking about things I may not explicitly say in any of the videos:

http://youtu.be/ERNAan0Zu9U

Besides the fact that I'm wondering if subtitles are a horrible idea, or if these are just boring, my main concern is that I'm not explaining enough of what is going on. There are points later in all the other stages where I will slow down to explain situations, and I have ideas on how to handle a couple of other well known facets that make this game famous when they come up, but the early part of the game isn't too hard. Is there anything in that first video that I should have stopped and examined? Any advice in that area will help me plan out the rest of my run, or redo what I've done if necessary.

I will be using all of the subweapons by the end of each playthrough, and all enemy behavior will be seen at some point.

If people think my commentary and playing is okay but the subtitles are not I am willing to try voiced commentary. Niggurath said he was curious about why I'd rather do subtitles, and it’s because I don't think I have a voice for radio, as it were.

• Locked thread