Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
And the IP is not likely to change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

And the IP is not likely to change?
Not bloody likely! (It's been the same for years; unless Lowtax changes hosts or the host changes something it'll stay the same.)

But you could have the option to fill in an IP address with the default being the current one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah it's my standard backup. Everyone will have to log in again though if you switch.

Good catch. Might be able to work around that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
When am I gonna be able to use the YOSPOS skins with the whole site?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Right now, if you want. Pull the yospos css from the git (or whatever css file you want, you can even make your own!), and copy it to your device as default.css via iTunes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Right now, if you want. Pull the yospos css from the git (or whatever css file you want, you can even make your own!), and copy it to your device as default.css via iTunes.

I dunno what these words mean!! I just wanna use that OS 9 skin!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

I dunno what these words mean!! I just wanna use that OS 9 skin!!!

Download this file:

https://github.com/AwfulDevs/Awful/blob/master/Source/Theming/posts-view-219-macinyos.css

Plug your iDevice into iTunes, and in the apps tab go to the 'File Sharing' section and find the entry for Awful. When you click on it the box on the right will show two files.. an example css, and a readme. The readme has instructions, but if you're lazy, just rename the file you downloaded to posts-view.css and copy it to your device by pressing the 'Add' button in iTunes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Dunno. It's on the list!

xzzy posted:

It's posts-view.css, not default.css. You got it right in your subsequent post :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
1.11.0-5, iPad mini, iOS 6.1, jailbroken.

Favorites is missing from the sidebar in both portrait and landscape.

"Mark as read" coloring does not appear to be working correctly.

Will test my iPhone in the morning.

Edit: I lied and I'm editing from my phone. Same things apply. Favorites gone, previously read posts colored like unread posts.

Also, post action ellipses are xbox huge.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 25, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

1.11.0-5, iPad mini, iOS 6.1, jailbroken.

Favorites is missing from the sidebar in both portrait and landscape.

Favorites should be in the Forums tab now, at the top. Are they not?

quote:

"Mark as read" coloring does not appear to be working correctly.

Will test my iPhone in the morning.

Edit: I lied and I'm editing from my phone. Same things apply. Favorites gone, previously read posts colored like unread posts.

Hmm yeah, busted in dark mode. I'll fix it up!

quote:

Also, post action ellipses are xbox huge.

Gotta tweak that a bit :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Favorites should be in the Forums tab now, at the top. Are they not?

Oh fancy schmancy. I don't use Favorites so I didn't see anything on the forums tab but when I tested it behaved itself. Good job!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I feel like I must be a moron, but how are people uploading images through the app...?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Niemat posted:

I feel like I must be a moron, but how are people uploading images through the app...?

Press and hold on text input. It's with copy and paste and whatnot.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Niemat posted:

Press and hold when making your post, hit the [img] when it comes up and the app will ask if you want to upload from library, take a new one or just insert plain [img][/img] tags. The app will upload your image to imgur and automatically add the url to in post.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Terminal Entropy posted:

Press and hold when making your post, hit the [timg] when it comes up and the app will ask if you want to upload from library, take a new one or just insert plain [img][/timg] tags. The app will upload your image to imgur and automatically add the url to in post.

Thanks, guys! :D Now I have another silly question: when it uploads to imgur, is it just uploading to the general site, or is there a way to get it to upload to my account from the app?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just the general site. Account support would be cool now that I think about it.

Imgupr get away with it :shrug:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Niemat posted:

Thanks, guys! :D Now I have another silly question: when it uploads to imgur, is it just uploading to the general site, or is there a way to get it to upload to my account from the app?

At the moment there's no way to use your account, but that's just because we haven't implemented it. I'll add it to the list!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Strange request, but would it be possible for the app to be used upside-down (e.g. flip 180 degrees from normal portrait)? I run into too many situations where the only available power plug makes that the only reasonable orientation in which to operate my phone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Not as strange as you may think! It's definitely on the list. Sorry about your lovely power plug situation :(

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
RE: IP instead of domain - How many people would really use that vs. everyone being locked out if the IP changes or something else related wigs out?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Javid posted:

RE: IP instead of domain - How many people would really use that vs. everyone being locked out if the IP changes or something else related wigs out?

Make it an option in the settings with default of the current situation.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

pokeyman posted:

At the moment there's no way to use your account, but that's just because we haven't implemented it. I'll add it to the list!

That would be neat! Thanks! :D

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Javid posted:

We would fall back to the IP only when it works and forums.somethingawful.com doesn't. As soon as we could switch back, we would. If the IP changes, we'd stop using it. Basically if we do it right nobody even notices it's happening.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

pokeyman posted:

We would fall back to the IP only when it works and forums.somethingawful.com doesn't. As soon as we could switch back, we would. If the IP changes, we'd stop using it. Basically if we do it right nobody even notices it's happening.

Would it be possible to have it self-update the IP if necessary? Like, try to use the IP and if it fails, use the URL and gather the new IP while doing so? That way even if you stop updating the app or someone doesn't update on their own it will always be able to use the newest IP without forcing anyone to manually enter a new one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Would it be possible to have it self-update the IP if necessary? Like, try to use the IP and if it fails, use the URL and gather the new IP while doing so? That way even if you stop updating the app or someone doesn't update on their own it will always be able to use the newest IP without forcing anyone to manually enter a new one.

That's a good thought. I'll have to think about it; I'm not totally sure if we can rely on what forums.somethingawful.com resolves to. I still haven't come up with how to reliably detect whether we can access SA.

Regardless, I'll probably add a place where you can enter an IP address or alternate hostname. Could be handy for testing, as well as the scenario you describe. And for other unforeseen blocking/filtering/proxying issues.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Good Citizens avatar gets displayed weirdly here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486823&pagenumber=569#post413858657

The bottom 2/3 will flash, while the top 1/3 stays untouched. It also doesn't animate at all. The avatar plays out fine on profile page though.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Funkmaster General posted:

This won't work depending on how the blocking is implemented, as the hostname may just resolve to the site blocking page (like with OpenDNS).

Also if it's blocked on your network, try not to get caught circumventing access controls ;)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JamesOff posted:

This won't work depending on how the blocking is implemented, as the hostname may just resolve to the site blocking page (like with OpenDNS).

Between this and thinking about it some more, I'm probably just going to add a setting where you can type in an alternate host name or IP address. Maybe put the current IP address nearby, so it's quick for getting around poo poo public wifi blocks.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Bug report. I can pretty reliably reproduce this.

- Be in an area with bad network reception (like on a cellular network with two bars). This is to cause delay.

- Go to bookmarks, and pull down to refresh. Because of the network, this should take several seconds.

- Before it finishes refreshing, select a thread to read.

- When you return to the bookmarks view, the "refreshing" table cell does fold back up anymore

- Killing the app fixes it

Not a huge deal, just a bit annoying.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Axiem posted:

Bug report. I can pretty reliably reproduce this.

- Be in an area with bad network reception (like on a cellular network with two bars). This is to cause delay.

- Go to bookmarks, and pull down to refresh. Because of the network, this should take several seconds.

- Before it finishes refreshing, select a thread to read.

- When you return to the bookmarks view, the "refreshing" table cell does fold back up anymore

- Killing the app fixes it

Not a huge deal, just a bit annoying.

This is a known issue. It's also still in the latest beta, 1.11.0-5.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I searched around in the thread, but wasn't able to find anything, so I shall ask.

Is there a way to disable the "mark read posts blue" feature? Nothing leaps out at me in the app settings.

It's not something that appeals to me, and I have all such settings in the actual forum turned off. Dunno if the app is supposed to pull from that or not.

Thank you!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, if you disable the "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" on the main website in your control panel/edit options page, the app will stop coloring them.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Good Citizens avatar gets displayed weirdly here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486823&pagenumber=569#post413858657

The bottom 2/3 will flash, while the top 1/3 stays untouched. It also doesn't animate at all. The avatar plays out fine on profile page though.

I think this is just another fine example of WebKit's ability to show animated gifs. Does it always mess up for you, or only sometimes?

I'm guessing the latter, as the profile view shows avatars the exact same way as the posts view. And, if I'm right, there isn't much I can do about it anytime soon. Sorry.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

xzzy posted:

Yeah, if you disable the "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" on the main website in your control panel/edit options page, the app will stop coloring them.

So the bit where I said I have all such settings on the actual forum turned off swung right past you eh?

It's turned off. And yet the Awful app displays them blue.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

CaptainCrunch posted:

So the bit where I said I have all such settings on the actual forum turned off swung right past you eh?

Tried logging out and logging in?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'll take a look at this. I tried to get fancy with showing read/unread posts, and I think that means Awful doesn't respect that Forums setting anymore. We'll put that back in there, or (if necessary) add a setting.

(As an aside, several people have wandered in to this thread looking for an Awful solution when all they needed was to change a Forums setting. I'd mentally dropped the part where you said you'd set the Forums setting, until you reaffirmed it :) so thanks for mentioning the bug.)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just popping in to say I have the same thing, mark previous posts is indeed turned off in the main forum settings, but still blue on the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Good to know. It's on the list! Sorry about that.

I'm quite good at forgetting about the parts of Awful that I don't normally use. So I'm glad y'all keep me honest.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

pokeyman posted:

Good to know. It's on the list! Sorry about that.

I'm quite good at forgetting about the parts of Awful that I don't normally use. So I'm glad y'all keep me honest.

Hey, thanks for coding the drat thing AND being responsive! It's appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
This is a great app. One bit of feedback:

When marking a thread as read, can you make it mark through the post before instead of including that post as read? I often only get halfway through some of the longer posts and it's annoying having to scroll all the way back to the previous post so I don't lose it.

• Locked thread