Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
This is from the continuing follies of Facebook, of course. It should be pretty easy to see why I share it, but my question to you guys is this: How are we supposed to remain tactful and not lash out at idiots who take such pride in misconceptions like these? Why am I coming to Goons for advice on decorum?

Yeah, it's terrible that a baby was shot to death. I don't feel like I should need to say that. However, the hard-to-miss differences of the child being shot in botched robbery rather than a racially-charged stalking and the eternally more important fact that these shooters were arrested and punished as opposed to what happened with Zimmerman make these two cases radically loving different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Raptor posted:

This is from the continuing follies of Facebook, of course. It should be pretty easy to see why I share it, but my question to you guys is this: How are we supposed to remain tactful and not lash out at idiots who take such pride in misconceptions like these? Why am I coming to Goons for advice on decorum?

Yeah, it's terrible that a baby was shot to death. I don't feel like I should need to say that. However, the hard-to-miss differences of the child being shot in botched robbery rather than a racially-charged stalking and the eternally more important fact that these shooters were arrested and punished as opposed to what happened with Zimmerman make these two cases radically loving different.

I just call them loving idiots and bait them into unfriending me. One of the harder lessons about growing up nonwhite in the midwest is that white people age terribly and will either turn out to be okay people or frothing racists by the time they finish college.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Odd that the AFL-CIO local 64 would make that since apparently (now) they're located in Minnesota. Goldwater's opponent that year was Lyndon Johnson. Johnson's running mate was Hubert Humphrey. Humphrey had a long career in politics in Minnesota.

quote:

Palestinian groom Emad al-Malalha, 21, walks with Manal Abu Shanar, 17, his Egyptian bride inside a smuggling tunnel beneath the Gaza-Egypt border in the southern Gaza Strip March 21, 2013. Al-Malalha , who said that his bride was not given a permit from Egyptian authorities to enter the Gaza Strip, brought her from neighboring Egypt through a smuggling tunnel to celebrate his wedding in his native Gaza Strip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Zombie Raptor posted:

Ask them why they're posting these tripe. Or just tell them to gently caress off for using the death of an infant to score political points for Their Team. With these kind of morons, things like facts, evidence and logic don't work.

Edit: crap, picture

King Dopplepopolos fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 24, 2013

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

King Dopplepopolos posted:

Or just tell them to gently caress off for using the death of an infant to score political points for Their Team.
You're right, it is a despicable thing to do.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
Yeah, that's pretty lovely, too. I hope you weren't passive-aggressively assuming I'd approve of that just because it's nominally "liberal." People who go for the "Both sides do it equally as often!" tend to assume that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zombie Raptor posted:

Yeah, the mother of a friend of mine shared this one recently. 10 years ago when I was helping her with some computer issue, I asked her why she felt it necessary to keep a .32 caliber revolver next to the computer at all time. She looked at me incredulously and answered "Niggers with switchblades!". I should point out that this woman left the house once a month on average.

Meanwhile, Wayne Brady's plan for White Genocide continues unchecked

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah, the mother of a friend of mine shared this one recently. 10 years ago when I was helping her with some computer issue, I asked her why she felt it necessary to keep a .32 caliber revolver next to the computer at all time. She looked at me incredulously and answered "Niggers with switchblades!". I should point out that this woman left the house once a month on average.

Meanwhile, Wayne Brady's plan for White Genocide continues unchecked

For so many black men to seek white women to be his queen?

Around blacks never relacks

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5X0wIJR8Q
Russian parody version: the new lyrics are about a bomber crew bringing "sixteen tons of dangerous cargo" to a Soviet town.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Zombie Raptor posted:

I like how baby Antonio Santiago is white because he's a baby and was murdered. If he had grown up and been accused of a crime, suddenly that name would sound much more Hispanic.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

I like how baby Antonio Santiago is white because he's a baby and was murdered. If he had grown up and been accused of a crime, suddenly that name would sound much more Hispanic.

Oleg Volk?

(he is terrible)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Graffiti on an abandoned cottage in Bannockburn.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Coohoolin posted:

Alas Donald Trump took them up on their offer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-MHQE2xPQ

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
please tell me this is Steven Seagal

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Sup, Romanian and/or Bulgarian buddy! :hfive: Or possibly random internet person who just finds that stamp cool, I guess.

quote:

Later that year, in 1459, Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II sent envoys to Vlad to urge him to pay a delayed tribute of 10,000 ducats and 500 recruits into the Ottoman forces. Vlad refused, because if he had paid the 'tribute', as the tax was called at the time, it would have meant a public acceptance of Wallachia as part of the Ottoman Empire. Vlad, just like most of his predecessors and successors, had as a primary goal to keep Wallachia as independent as possible. Vlad had the Turkish envoys killed on the pretext that they had refused to raise their "hats" to him, by nailing their turbans to their heads.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

KazigluBey posted:

Sup, Romanian and/or Bulgarian buddy! :hfive: Or possibly random internet person who just finds that stamp cool, I guess.

Just a random person who found the stamp cool, but nice to meet you!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

It's free? I was expecting Murdoch and Trump would have atleast paid a bit of cash for it! :rimshot:

The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5X0wIJR8Q
Russian parody version: the new lyrics are about a bomber crew bringing "sixteen tons of dangerous cargo" to a Soviet town.

Here's a version by our future overlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnERje97jw

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Highspeeddub posted:

Just a random person who found the stamp cool, but nice to meet you!

Hello, nice to meet you too!

Since I got started, have another Tepes post:

a Wallachian veteran posted:

The sultan besieged him and discovered him in a certain mountain where the Wallachian was supported by the natural strength of the place. There Vlad had hidden himself along with 24,000 of his men who had willingly followed him. When Vlad realized that he would either perish from hunger or fall into the hands of the very cruel enemy, and considering both eventualities unworthy of brave men, he dared commit an act worthy of being remembered: calling his men together and explaining the situation to them, he easily persuaded them to enter the enemy camp. He divided the men so that either they should die bravely in battle with glory and honor or else, should destiny prove favorable to them, they should avenge themselves against the enemy in an exceptional matter. So, making use of some Turkish prisoners, who had been caught at twilight when they were wandering about imprudently, at nightfall Vlad penetrated into the Turkish camp with part of his troops, all the way up the fortifications. And during the entire night he sped like lightning in every direction and caused great slaughter, so much so that, had the other commander to whom he had entrusted his remaining forces been equally brave, or had the Turks not fully obeyed the repeated orders from the sultan not to abandon their garrisons, the Wallachian undoubtedly would have gained the greatest and most brilliant victory. But the other commander (a boyar named Galeş) did not dare attack the camp from the other side as had been agreed upon....Vlad carried out an incredible massacre without losing many men in such a major encounter, though many were wounded. He abandoned the enemy camp before daybreak and returned to the same mountain from which he had come. No one dared pursue him, since he had caused such terror and turmoil. I learned by questioning those who had participated in this battle that the sultan lost all confidence in the situation. During that night the sultan abandoned the camp and fled in a shameful manner. And he would have continued to this way, had he not been reprimanded by his friends and brought back, almost against his will.

A slightly different account (and perhaps more balanced take on the Sultan's behavior) can be seen in the 1979 Romanian movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr1gnzWyA2I

Translation of the Sultan's words at 6:34
"Why do the dogs flee?" (Possibly, "Why do you dogs flee?")
"We fear your majesty's wrath." (Possibly, "We fear your wrathfullness" :v:)
:commissar:
"I stood before death at Constantinople and Belgrade and all the battlefields of Islam, and never did my heart tremble, but last night I was to die like a dog in my sleep amongst you all! Go, ye worthless, stop them!"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Actual Ford ads:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/22/ford-of-india-in-hot-water-for-figo-celebrity-bondage-ads

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

What the actual gently caress :psyboom:

This is one of the first and most influential mentions of vampires in Central/Western Europe media: http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?aid=wrz&datum=17250721&seite=11&zoom=33 (this and the following page)

The case was of one Peter Plogojowitz in the then Austrian-ruled village of Kisilova (perhaps today's Kisiljevo) in Serbia; he died in 1725. Within eight days after his death, 9 other persons died, supposedly claiming on their death bed that Plogojowitz had "throttled" them beforehand.

Here is an English translation of the report concering this case (not mine), which was written by the Imperial Provisor Frombald and published in the Wiennerisches Diarium newspaper of the 21st of July, 1725:

quote:

After a subject by the name of Peter Plogojowitz had died, ten weeks past - he lived in the village of Kisilova, in the Rahm district [of Serbia] - and had been buried according to the Raetzin custom, it had been revealed that in this same village of Kisilova, within a week, nine people, both old and young, died also, after suffering a twenty-four hour illness. And they said publicly, while they were yet alive, but on their death-bed, that the above-mentioned Peter Plogojowitz, who had died ten weeks earlier, had come to them in their sleep, laid himself on them, so that they would have to give up the ghost. The other subjects were very distressed and strengthened even more in such beliefs by the fact that the dead Peter Plogojowitz’s wife, after saying her husband had come to her and demanded his opanki, or shoes, had left the village of Kisilova and gone to another.

"And since with such people (which they call vampires) various signs are to be seen - that is, the body undecomposed, the skin, hair, beard, and nails growing - the subjects resolved unanimously to open the grave of Peter Plogojowitz and to see if such above-mentioned signs were really to be found on him. To this end they came here to me and, telling of these events, asked me and the local pope, or the parish priest, to be present at the viewing. And although I at first disapproved, telling them that the praiseworthy administration should first be dutifully and humbly informed, and its exalted opinion about this should be heard, they did not want to accommodate themselves to this at all, but rather gave this short answer: I could do what I want, but if I could not accord them the viewing and the legal recognition to deal with the body according to their custom, they would have to leave house and home, because by the time a gracious resolution was received from Belgrade, perhaps the entire village - and this was already supposed to have happened once before under the Turks - could be destroyed by such an evil spirit, and they did not want to wait for this.

Since I could not hold such people from the resolution they had made, either with good words or with threats, I went to the village of Kisilova, taking along the Gradisk pope, and viewed the body of Peter Plogojowitz, just exhumed, finding, in accordance with thorough thoughtfulness, that first of all I did not detect the slightest odor that is otherwise characteristic of the dead, and the body, except for the nose, which was somewhat fallen away, was completely fresh. The hair and beard - even the nails, of which the old ones had fallen away - had grown on him; the old skin, which was somewhat whitish, had peeled away, and a new fresh one had emerged under it. The face, hands, and feet, and the whole body were so constituted, that they could they could not have been more complete in his lifetime. Not without astonishment, I saw some fresh blood in his mouth, which, according to the common observation, he had sucked from the people killed by him. In short, all the indications were present that such people (as remarked above) are said to have.

After both the pope and I had seen this spectacle, while the people grew more outraged than distressed, all the subjects, with great speed, sharpened a stake - in order to pierce the corpse of the deceased with it - and put this at his heart, whereupon, as he was pierced, not only did much blood, completely fresh, flow also through his ears and mouth, but still other wild signs (which I pass by out of high respect) took place. [He means that the corpse had an erection] Finally, according to their usual practice, they burned the often-mentioned body, in hoc casu, to ashes, of which I inform the most laudable Administration, and at the same time would like to request, obediently and humbly, that if a mistake was made in this matter, such is to be attributed not to me but to the rabble, who were beside themselves with fear.

- Imperial Provisor, Gradisk District.

This story was widely discussed throughout Europe; many other storied and publications were published afterwards concering this topic, both pro and contra the existence of vampires. Within a relatively short period of time, many other stories like this surfaced, mostly coming from the Austrian-controlled Balkans as well. They were very influential concering European occultism, especially during and after the Romantic movement of the 19th century, eventually culminating in Bram Stoker's Dracula (1897).

One of about 100 known "skeleton burials" in Bulgaria, where a rod was driven through the deceased's chest. When people were deemed "bad" by the other villager's they were pinned to the ground like this lest they returned from the grave.

edit: This is how myths develop - from the above to this! :drac:

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 24, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Oh gently caress me. TIL that Chris Matthews went to my high school. And that we have clubs in common :barf:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

Actual Ford ads:

You left out the third in the series:

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Kopijeger posted:

You left out the third in the series:

That made it worse. Compare how they're dressed and their positions. The women have to spread out and show off their busts and asses. The men sit comfortably and completely covered.

Picture unrelated.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2013/03/201332421616694733.html

quote:

The bodies of seven men, all shot in the head as if executed, were found dumped in plastic chairs placed along the side of a street in the Mexican state of Michoacan, authorities have said.

Michoacan's attorney general's office said in a statement on Saturday that the victims had all been shot in the head and placed individually in the sitting position in chairs near a traffic circle in the city of Uruapan.

A placard nailed to one of the bodies with an ice pick reads: "Warning! This will happen to thieves, kidnappers, sex offenders and extortionists".

Are messages like that common among the cartels or can we please have a real life Punisher on our hands?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Strange that Al Jazeera didn't make the link themselves

e: and if you were talking about leaving bloody corpses in general, yeah, all the cartels have a knack for it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

R. Mute posted:

Strange that Al Jazeera didn't make the link themselves

e: and if you were talking about leaving bloody corpses in general, yeah, all the cartels have a knack for it.

In Colombia during the Violencia-era, leaving corpses in specific poses was elevated to an artform. There were entire sceneries - a journalist called them "tableau mortes" - composed of bodies and parts arranged in a certain fashion. Some of it was code, some of it just nihilist-dadaist installations. It's one of the things that still haunt me from reading "More Terrible Than Death", a look at the 20th century history of Colombia by a human rights activist.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Miltank posted:

Are messages like that common among the cartels or can we please have a real life Punisher on our hands?

Pretty common, really. Plus, some of the cartels like to act like they're providing law and order by taking out common criminals (or, at least, people they claim to be criminals), or members of other cartels. Considering how corrupt and ineffective the Mexican police force can be, it can be an appealing message. And when killing members of other cartels, it's a way of saying "yeah, we killed them, but we're the good guys. We just traffic drugs, we don't engage in extortion" (whether that's actually true or not). (Admittedly, there are some legitimate differences between the cartels with respect to activities other than drug trafficking--the Zetas, for example, are known for kidnapping people for ransom, which some other cartels don't, or at least not as much.) There are also a few vigilante groups that have sprung up that are apparently unaffiliated with cartels, but the whole "dead bodies on display" thing looks like cartel work, really.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
:sigh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anthony Cumia is a noted racist piece of poo poo.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Citation loving needed.

Unrelated image:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Anthony Cumia is a noted racist piece of poo poo.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

TheMammoth posted:

Is that Shaq shaking Christie's hand?

I love this. Any context?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I love this. Any context?

That looks like an aloof fat policeman and a cross-armed skinny policeman in Russia. It's a pretty standard tactic for them to be deployed in this kind of pairing:

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Toronto Protest photo dump.

These first few are from a mock trial we had for our politicians. Represented by papier mache are Stephen Harper, Dalton McGuinty, Rob Ford and maybe somebody else. I'm tired.

These are from the May Day march 2012, organized by No One Is Illegal, a group that advocates rights for illegal immigrants or immigrants from anywhere. http://nooneisillegal.com

We gathered at city hall, had to be at least 1000 people already at that point.

It was a really cool event, speeches were made in many languages. The primary goal of the day was to protest Barrick Gold's activities in the Congo.

At bottom right you can see one of the guys from the Mississauga-Port Credit First Nation. They are awesome people, and were integral to the planning of this march and also to Occupy Toronto when we were still camping out in St. James Park and afterwards. The No One Is Illegal spokesperson announced at the beginning that the Mississauga First Nation had to be at the front of the march at all times, as a show of solidarity towards natives. They had a guy with an iPhone and a walkie talkie co-ordinating with scouts up ahead to tell the protest where the police were and stop us from being blocked off. Totally badass.

The anarchist faction.

We sat in the intersection of Queen and Spadina for a bit, letting various people broadcast over the megaphone before heading north on Spadina.

At Spadina and Dundas the police formed a bike wall and informed us that we were not going to be allowed to proceed west on Queen Street. The megaphone girl announced that that was fine, and we were to sit in the intersection and Occupy it all night if necessary. During this time a Cantonese speaker got on the megaphone and addressed the Chinatown crowds. Eventually I saw a high ranking police officer basically just roll his eyes and tell the bike cops to part ways. Then we continued west.

The march from city hall to Alexandra park had all been a bluff, designed to make the police think that we were Occupying Alexandra park all night. This is what we (rank and file protestors) had been led to believe until we arrived, at which point we were told to wait around to be told where we were marching to Occupy later. The target turned out to be the headquarters of Barrick Gold, a mining company implicated in supporting some pretty awful people in the Congo to help them more easily mine gold.

The cops were on us like flies on poo poo, not allowing anyone to even look like they were about to go to sleep. Hilarity ensued as tables were set up, and then taken down because they qualified as 'structures'. Some of the first nations protestors sat in chairs which apparently also qualified as structures but they just sat there with a 'gently caress off' glare and the cops did not force them to move.

Then a General Assembly was held, during which we voted unanimously to stay in the park all night, even though we were prohibited from erecting 'structures'. At one point later in the night a group of United Church people, mostly skinny elderly folk, attempted to erect a tent which was promptly smashed down with extendo-bats. They were then dragged off into a paddywagon, the only confirmed arrests of the day. People chanted shame, gently caress the police etc. I remarked loudly that there must not be any other crime in the district to justify the 85 (we counted) cops present at that moment. Also some drunken fuckers leaving the Rogers Center yelled at us to 'Get Jobs'. Thanks buddy.

All in all it was a quality march, and this year they are doing it all again. So if you live in Toronto and are sympathetic to the socialist cause or the cause of illegal immigrants and migrants in general why don't ya come on down to the May Day march or at least visit http://nooneisillegal.org

Edgar Quintero fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 25, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
TABLES

You can copy the post into wordpad and find-replace "IMG" with "TIMG"

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Ouch. That wasn't worth the five minutes it took my tablet to load the page. Please use [timg] tags if your pictures are enormous.

Speaking of protests, here's one where I would love to see some good ol' fashioned police brutality.

In Paris, the protests against gay marriage are still going strong. Yesterday, conservative protesters just couldn't help but have a little riot to go with their march, when they decided to try to waltz in on Champs-Elysees.

Now there's a backpfeifengesicht if I ever saw one.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of protests, here's one where I would love to see some good ol' fashioned police brutality.

There was a bit, I guess the cops just couldn't help themselves.

This is the French equivalent to that stupid Minuteman costume that Tea Partiers love so much.

• Locked thread