Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

I just got an order in from Belgium and I'm floored at the insane amount of sediment in the bottles of Fantome Saison. It's seriously like 1cm thick in the bottom of the bottle, completely insane.

Is Fantome Saison hard to get? I see it pretty often and pick up a couple bottles of year. Then again, I've found 3F Gueuze 750s for $16. What a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I still have that loving pink bottle. It sits around and whispers ominously in the middle of the night, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Goes so nicely with my Crystal Skull Vodka bottle full of Mio in a tiny shopping cart.

Worst beer with decent rep has to be a tie between Starr Hill Northern Lights and Epic Sour Apple Saison. The Northern Lights tasted like a skunkier PBR and tasted so strongly awful that I dumped it rather quick. Between that and having a few other disappointments I didn't go back to them for awhile, but have since tried Northern Lights again and found it mediocre. Sour Apple Saison tasted exactly like bologna, but apparently I was the only one who thought so. So that went on to happily bubble away in someone else's gut.

Worst experience with a beer? This Lithuanian beer, a triple bock I think, that came in a deceptively bountiful bottle and had way too much alcohol for $3. Smelled like dog treats, but the taste was somewhat bearable and it hid its alcohol really well. Too well. I remember the bottle had one of those illustrated faces that looks different when you invert it, and the name played into that somehow. Anyhow, my eyebrow hasn't looked the same since that night. Pretty sure that beer was handcrafted to murder people indiscriminately.

Oh, and recently I had a Hoptimum (bait-and-switched at a Steal the Glass night) after having just finished a Sour in the Rye. Don't do that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Oh, and recently I had a Hoptimum (bait-and-switched at a Steal the Glass night) after having just finished a Sour in the Rye. Don't do that.

Did it hurt? I've had some crazy mouth burn/tingle from doing something like that.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The Northern Lights tasted like a skunkier PBR and tasted so strongly awful that I dumped it rather quick.

Northern Lights isn't bad enough to pour out, it's just a bad beer. I had a 1 month old bottle due to it coming to NJ and a sales rep dropping one off. It was way too much crystal malt and not enough hops. It tasted boring, but not drain pour. I would imagine the one you had was mishandled.

As for the worst beer I've had, Weyerbacher Reserva 2010. It was the batch that was super sour/vinegar. The bottle was released with a warning and I thought it was just awful. I don't have a palate for sours, but even the sales rep said those who like extreme sours were very polarized.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Bavarian Lodge in Lisle. A fantastic beer spot, great food, and awesome events that are always really overcrowded. What burb are you in?

For now, Westmont...drat, right down the road. My wife and I always say we should go there to eat and never do. I guess I'll have to change that.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm drinking my first ever Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, and I feel like this is objectively bad. I've had and enjoyed other smoked beers in the past, even smoked beers that others haven't been able to tolerate, but this is just miserable.

I absolutely love the Aecht Schlenkerla lineup, especially the Marzen and Urbock (their two smokiest, I feel). I actually have a hard time enjoying most smoked beer I come across as they don't even come close to the heavy smokiness of those two.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The worst beer I've ever had has to have been the Dark Horse 666 Sasspirilla stout. One of maybe two beers ever that I couldn't finish.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm going to stay obvious and pick Rogue's Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon.

Also, I had some Barrel Aged Dopplebock from Ballast Point once that tasted outright like acetone.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Ommegang's Cup o' Kyndnes. It's what I imagine dry hopping a 60-year old hippie's dreadlocks tastes like.

I started off the day finally trying Lagunitas Sucks (terrific), then sustained myself on some truly outstanding wine for the last six hours, followed by reading this thread and making me think about that Ommegang beer. Jerks. I wanted to end on a high now.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I regret not saving the label or even getting a picture of this beer, but its the worst beer I've ever had. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/romulan-ale/3372/
Made in El Salvador, a long rear end time ago, its some kind of bad pale lager with some nasty sweetener and blue color added. Its also in a clear bottle. And was found at a pawn shop.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rage-saq posted:

I regret not saving the label or even getting a picture of this beer, but its the worst beer I've ever had. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/romulan-ale/3372/
Made in El Salvador, a long rear end time ago, its some kind of bad pale lager with some nasty sweetener and blue color added. Its also in a clear bottle. And was found at a pawn shop.

I forgot about that. I've totally had that too and its awful. You used to get it at the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton in Vegas. The irony was that Romulan Ale was supposed to be bad in-universe but was supposed to be strong enough to knock a Klingon out.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 24, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Angry Grimace posted:

The irony was that Romulan Ale was supposed to be bad in-universe but was supposed to be strong enough to knock a Klingon out.

:colbert: Officers seem to unironically enjoy it, but maybe because it was "teehee illegal."

I honestly can't think of a non-spoiled beer I have dumped. Actually, I do know I've ordered beers at taphouses and they've been absolute garbage, but I don't remember them right now.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is Fantome Saison hard to get? I see it pretty often and pick up a couple bottles of year. Then again, I've found 3F Gueuze 750s for $16. What a steal.

I've never seen it in Chicago. I see Hiver all over the place, but no straight up saison.

swickles posted:

So this makes me wonder, what is the WORST beer you guys have ever had. I am not looking for Bud Light Lime answers. Those kinds of beer are expected to be bad. I mean what is the worst beer you have ever had from a reputable beer maker? For me, a few weeks ago I had Fantome Boo! and it was god awful. It tasted and smelled like Lemon Pledge. It was pretty universally reviled at the tasting too, so it wasn't just me. In fact, one guy had it who I thought was always overly harsh and nit-picky in his assessment said it was bad. I tasted it expecting it to be mediocre or even good. I was wrong. It was impressively bad as matter of fact.

Worst from a reputable beer maker has to be Dogfish Head 120 Minute for me (though I know people that actually like the stuff). Black & Blue also came pretty close.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 24, 2013

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Worst beer loving ever.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/de-molen-bed-breakfast/152323/

Imagine straining nutsweat through old coffee grounds, then drinking it mid-colonoscopy. It is that awful.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Saint Darwin posted:

:colbert: Officers seem to unironically enjoy it, but maybe because it was "teehee illegal."

I honestly can't think of a non-spoiled beer I have dumped. Actually, I do know I've ordered beers at taphouses and they've been absolute garbage, but I don't remember them right now.

I would trust Picard over those lame officers. He stuck to Aldebaran whisky. :colbert:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Just found 2 week old Sculpin in New Jersey. :smugdog:

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
Anyone know the difference between sculpin and big eye? I understand that sculpin is delicious, but at 14.99 it's pretty steep and big eye is usually 10.99.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SketchyNick posted:

Anyone know the difference between sculpin and big eye? I understand that sculpin is delicious, but at 14.99 it's pretty steep and big eye is usually 10.99.

It's a lot better than Big Eye. I think BE is kind of boring, to be honest.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

SketchyNick posted:

Sometimes I like Big Eye better, sometimes I like Sculpin better. Both are great IPAs though and should be tried. They have a 4 month shelf life, so count 4 months backwards from the best before to see how fresh.

Philly beer goons I need Tired Hands advice. I'm going there tomorrow, what's the best time to go to ensure it won't be too crowded? I plan to try all of the beers and saw they do 4 ounce tasters for $3, no flights, that's a shame. How much do the growlers run though? Also how's the food and any recommendations?

Edit: They're closed Mondays. Crap.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 24, 2013

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
If you go to tired hands on a weekday shortly after they open, it generally won't be very busy and you'll get a seat at the bar. After 6pm or so all bets are off. Growlers vary in price depending on the beer (the most expensive I've ever seen is $30 for a 64oz growler, but they have 1L swingtop growlers as well. the growlers themselves are $5 I believe). Every beer comes in three different sizes which vary in price depending on the beer.

Get the bread.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Like I said when I visited earlier it warms my heart that Tired Hands is there because I used to walk right past there as a kid on the way to the Ardmore SEPTA station several times a week.

So why wasn't it and Teresa's open 20 years ago :mad: I totally coulda passed for 21 by my freshman year.

Also Cascade n Hair of the Dog in Portland are the same way -- HOTD has flights and Cascade doesn't, but in either place you can get as many different 4ozer's as you want for cheep and that's really the best way to handle a visit there anyway. Cascade makes you keep it to a maximum of three 4ozers at once, which I can only guess is to keep lighter-weights from ordering everything and then having regrets halfway through when the alcohol hits.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 24, 2013

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Also Cascade n Hair of the Dog in Portland are the same way -- HOTD has flights and Cascade doesn't, but in either place you can get as many different 4ozer's as you want for cheep and that's really the best way to handle a visit there anyway. Cascade makes you keep it to a maximum of three 4ozers at once, which I can only guess is to keep lighter-weights from ordering everything and then having regrets halfway through when the alcohol hits.

This is good to hear. I'll be out there in August. I have a fairly good handle on the must-sees but closer to the trip I'll probably be asking for some other suggestions.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

cryme posted:

If you go to tired hands on a weekday shortly after they open, it generally won't be very busy and you'll get a seat at the bar. After 6pm or so all bets are off. Growlers vary in price depending on the beer (the most expensive I've ever seen is $30 for a 64oz growler, but they have 1L swingtop growlers as well. the growlers themselves are $5 I believe). Every beer comes in three different sizes which vary in price depending on the beer.

Get the bread.

Thanks, I think I'll go around 4pm next Tuesday then.

I've been seeing Lost Abbey's Red Poppy on shelves. How sour is this?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

i thought Concoction and Aphrodite were both pretty bad, but the worst beers i've had (that weren't obviously infected) are Cooper's Extra Stout, the Rogue pink abomination, Okocim porter, and Legend's (here in Richmond) hefe and saison, the latter definitely being the worst of them all. i've certainly dumped others, but that's what i can think off the top of my head.

Legend makes so many bad beers. But at least their Lager is enjoyable and cheap as poo poo in Richmond.

For me I'd have to say... old Goose Island Night Stalker. I couldnt finish it, tasted like straight soy sauce.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 25, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Munkaboo posted:

Legend makes so many bad beers. But at least their Lager is enjoyable and cheap as poo poo in Richmond.

seriously, i wish i had a few cases of the saison so i could send some to all of you, then there would be a consensus. no joke, it smelled like feet and the powdered cheese crap from a bag of Chex Mix and tasted like i imagine those two things would together. old hops + sour mash = worst saison ever. i can drink the brown and the imperial stout and barleywine are fine, but most everything else... i mean, i can literally see Legend's deck from my house but have only been there twice in four years (and that's because i was meeting people who were already there).

oh, and i had a bottle of their (not very good) smoked chocolate stout loving explode in our bedroom while my girlfriend was getting dressed- fortunately it was on the other side of the bed and she didn't catch any shrapnel.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Folks you've not had a bad beer until you've had this guy:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sprecher-mbege-ale/67818/

Some attempt at a gluten-free African banana beer or something...Jesus Christ. Burnt hair, plastic, soap, and a lot more.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dogfish Head is brewing an IPA with Beavertown and Dieu du Ciel:

quote:

From Sam: Here's Logan of Beavertown Brewery (London) and JF of Dieu Du Ciel (Montreal) at the Rehoboth pub. This is our first international three-way. It's both erotic and exotic. A 7% abv Pale India Ale spiced with Tamarind, Cumin, fresh crushed black pepper and Jaggery (traditional Indian Pale Sugar). We are looking for a name suggestion before noon (EST) today. Something that suggests our four current/former UK related countries that inspired this brew: US, UK, Canada, and India. Inspire us...

Sounds gross. I hate cumin and any Indian spices so this will likely be a pass for me.

Edit: Drinking an immort ale and holy cow this smells awful. I didn't know why I smelled burnt rubber or plastic until I saw the description and saw they used peat smoked malt in conjunction with juniper berries. I'm guessing that's what smells so awful. It drinks a lot like grenadine with a juniper and peat backing. Not a fan.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 25, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

quote:

This is our first international three-way. It's both erotic and exotic.

ugh

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It will only be on at the pub anyway so it will be easy enough for you guys to avoid.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Folks you've not had a bad beer until you've had this guy:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sprecher-mbege-ale/67818/

Some attempt at a gluten-free African banana beer or something...Jesus Christ. Burnt hair, plastic, soap, and a lot more.

They did another one in the same vein that was called Shakparo. It was better, not much, but better. But yeah, Mbege is up there with a 7 year old A. le Coq RIS I had that was oxidized to all hell and tasted like drinking a bottle of tamari with no other complimentary flavors.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So once again, I find myself in Denver in two weeks time for a business trip. Purposely booked my return flight in the evening so i'll have one afternoon to sample and pick up some beer to take home with me (preferably stuff that is not distributed/found in Chicago).

What beer should I look out for? Does Russian River get distribution in CO? Are there any bottle shops that I should plan on hitting in downtown Denver (no access to a car, though)?

As for bars, I was thinking about hitting up the Falling Rock taphouse again, but would pass it up if there are any other spots worth checking out on a Thursday afternoon.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

LeeMajors posted:

Worst beer loving ever.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/de-molen-bed-breakfast/152323/

Imagine straining nutsweat through old coffee grounds, then drinking it mid-colonoscopy. It is that awful.

I actually liked this. It wasn't amazing or anything but it certainly wasn't the worst beer I've ever had. This is from the tasting notes of my first bottle...

quote:

On first sip, the flavor is iced coffee. Carbonation. Slightly hoppy. No flavors really develop. They just fade. Very one note. This is a pale ale with coffee in it. Yep.

Overall impression is: interesting. I don’t usually think of coffee being in the flavor profile of a pale ale. But it does sort of complement the hops pretty well.

I don't think I've had many really "bad" beers. Except for things that are unintentionally bad from improper storage or bottle defects. Even weird DFH stuff doesn't really come across as bad to me. It's just experimental. And sometimes it impresses me (DFH Black & Blue is a favorite of mine). Sometimes I'll get something from a brewpub that's just a poor example of a style. But again, I don't really consider them bad. At least they're drinkable. The worst beer I've ever had was Anchor Christmas Ale in 2009. It tasted like liquified evergreen needles. And I still finished the bottle.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 25, 2013

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

Thanks, I think I'll go around 4pm next Tuesday then.

I've been seeing Lost Abbey's Red Poppy on shelves. How sour is this?

Red Poppy is flanders sour. Its an english brown ale thats soured with cherries, its really quite good, comparable to Supplication but not quite as sour iirc.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

rage-saq posted:

Red Poppy is flanders sour. Its an english brown ale thats soured with cherries, its really quite good, comparable to Supplication but not quite as sour iirc.

How does it compare to Monks? That's the only other flanders I've had.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

So once again, I find myself in Denver in two weeks time for a business trip. Purposely booked my return flight in the evening so i'll have one afternoon to sample and pick up some beer to take home with me (preferably stuff that is not distributed/found in Chicago).

What beer should I look out for? Does Russian River get distribution in CO? Are there any bottle shops that I should plan on hitting in downtown Denver (no access to a car, though)?

As for bars, I was thinking about hitting up the Falling Rock taphouse again, but would pass it up if there are any other spots worth checking out on a Thursday afternoon.

I went to Argonaut which was kinda near downtown and spotted Supplication and Pliny there (about a year ago). Plenty of Odell too. It's comparable to a Binny's.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

Worst beer with a great rep? Black Tuesday. I'll keep ranting against it. It's everything bad about breweries not having a sense of balance or, god forbid, subtlety.

Seconding this. Black Tuesday is legitimately one of the worst beers I've ever had. It tastes like rocket fuel and burnt hair, and is so cloyingly sweet and rich it's hard to even swallow. Five people couldn't even finish half of the bottle. Amazingly awful for something that gets so much hype.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

Seconding this. Black Tuesday is legitimately one of the worst beers I've ever had. It tastes like rocket fuel and burnt hair, and is so cloyingly sweet and rich it's hard to even swallow. Five people couldn't even finish half of the bottle. Amazingly awful for something that gets so much hype.

Thirding (albeit my opinion is based on a tiny sample). Melange #3, which has BT as a big component of its blend, however, is delicious.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Midorka posted:

How does it compare to Monks? That's the only other flanders I've had.

You've never had Rodenbach Grand Cru?!?!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Glottis posted:

You've never had Rodenbach Grand Cru?!?!

That beer is the benchmark for Flanders Reds IMO. Very hard to pull away when I see it since it's so consistent in both bottle and tap, plus a killer value at like $8-9 for a huge bomber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
For those bitching about DLD tickets, this is off 3 Floyd's facebook.

"Sunday 3.24.2013 10AM Cash only. Limited amount of DLD2013 tickets for sale at the brewery. 21+, one ticket per person. Valid ID required. Name will be printed on ticket. Non-transferable. Non-refundable. Line will begin forming at 9:45. Buy it only if you’re attending."