Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

victrix posted:

I wish it was on other platforms - I really don't want to play an FF game on my phone, it's just not comfortable for that sort of play :(

It's neat to have RPGs on your phone though. Like if I'm stuck in a waiting room or something I'm not gonna have a handheld with me but I would have my phone.

Also I think you can also play it on an iPad if you want to go that route :v: I haven't bought Dimensions yet but I think I might eventually, is it worth playing on the iPad? There isn't cloud saving is there?

I'm waiting to see if FFV comes out in English this month first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's neat to have RPGs on your phone though. Like if I'm stuck in a waiting room or something I'm not gonna have a handheld with me but I would have my phone.

Also I think you can also play it on an iPad if you want to go that route :v: I haven't bought Dimensions yet but I think I might eventually, is it worth playing on the iPad? There isn't cloud saving is there?

I'm waiting to see if FFV comes out in English this month first.

I'm playing the Android version on my Nexus and it's great on a tablet style device. I'm not sure I'd love it on a phone but everything is so large I think it would be playable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

Wrong.

I love this hack.

How does that even work?!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ConanThe3rd posted:

How does that even work?!

Imagine Gilgamesh, but using all six of his arms to hold one sword.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was meaning more in terms of the math, is it the atk power of the two swords x 3 or is it six attacks?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Is there any links on Youtube to the "chiptunes" version of the OST for FF:D? I absolutely love the World of Light theme in that style.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ShadeofDante posted:

Is there any links on Youtube to the "chiptunes" version of the OST for FF:D? I absolutely love the World of Light theme in that style.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtER8Ud1TZc

The uploader has a some of the other chiptune tracks as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, she's had exactly one line that I thought was not awful, and it's a throwback to another game. (This one, but it has visual lategame spoilers)

Even that one just made me die a little inside because she's so over the top with 4th wall and other such stupidity that that line's humor wasn't really there. It was just Alba being the "gently caress I hope this person dies off" character. Maybe that was the point but there's just nothing redeeming about her, similar to how Sol's a massive putz but he's still bearable, while she's just an all-round terrible character.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Playing FFIX for the first time in years and actually using a guide because the idea of missing things in this game hurts me physically. It really has a lovely story and nicely-developed characters. I liked the mechanics of FFX a lot, but I seriously despised most of the characters.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtER8Ud1TZc

The uploader has a some of the other chiptune tracks as well.

That is, thanks!

As a side note, it is really nice that despite taking a year or so to come out on the Android market, we get the Chiptunes pack for free with purchase. I really do vastly prefer it to the original OST.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Swillkitsch posted:

Playing FFIX for the first time in years and actually using a guide because the idea of missing things in this game hurts me physically.

Personally the rope jumping in the beginning quickly kicked my perfectionism between the legs.

IX is one of my favorites, annoying stealing mechanics and poor card game aside. I never even noticed the slowness that's the complaint of most people so I suppose that helps. But then I also finished FFV on the PS1 thrice. :shobon:

Also the soundtrack is amazing, the main theme is the best one in the series and You're Not Alone is easily in my top 5 FF music tracks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Alba, though to be fair I'm only up to the beginning of the Dark Knight quest so I might not have reached the parts where she really gets grating. I still need to get back to that game.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Alba, though to be fair I'm only up to the beginning of the Dark Knight quest so I might not have reached the parts where she really gets grating. I still need to get back to that game.

"Mr. Perv" is trying way too hard to be the modern version of "Mr. Thou", which is an absolute classic.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I was meaning more in terms of the math, is it the atk power of the two swords x 3 or is it six attacks?

The way the hack works is that everything works kind of like Mime: you get one set command (typically the Job's signature ability, like !Spellblade or !Steal or whatever available magic), and three free slots to play around with. This means you can screw yourself over because you also need to set !Attack as one of those abilities, more often than not (certain Jobs have !Attack by default but this is by and large an exception). However, the guy removed any restriction on only being able to equip one ability, and every ability gives some sort of stat boost; Two-Handed is I think like +8 Strength, or something like that, and this boost is stackable. So while you don't get ~6x damage for having Two-Handed equipped three times, you do get a ridiculous Strength bonus.

You can get some pretty great things going on. That Time Mage Faris was my best attacker for quite a while.

Dude also switched up which Jobs you get at each Crystal, so you have poo poo like Dancer and Dragoon at the Wind Crystal, and he incorporated the GBA-exclusive Jobs into the Fire/Earth Crystals. This has a pretty funny side effect of being able to turn Galuf invisible during combat because he has no sprites for them. :v:

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 24, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Didn't you do a few sprites for him, at one stage?

Speaking of which, here is his sprite and artwork for Mime (the only Job he never gets in the orignal), early in development.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 24, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Didn't you do a few sprites for him, at one stage?

Just as a concept idea for his Gladiator armor, not a full range of sprites to insert into the game or nothin'.

vv ed: If I had the drive, I would totally approach the creator of the hack with this, but I really hate spriting, especially for extended periods of time. I doubt I'd ever get them done for Gladiator, much less the other three Jobs.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 24, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, I don't blame you for not. It's about a dozen variations for each job isn't it?

Shaezerus posted:

Just as a concept idea for his Gladiator armor, not actual sprites to insert into the game or nothin'.

Shame, because that design is rad as gently caress.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 24, 2013

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

Dude also switched up which Jobs you get at each Crystal, so you have poo poo like Dancer and Dragoon at the Wind Crystal, and he incorporated the GBA-exclusive Jobs into the Fire/Earth Crystals. This has a pretty funny side effect of being able to turn Galuf invisible during combat because he has no sprites for them. :v:

He also greatly expanded the equipment selection on all classes. For instance, the Thief's Gloves can be used by Thief, Ninja, Monk, Dancer, Bard, and I think Ranger and Cannoneer.

Shaezerus posted:

Just as a concept idea for his Gladiator armor, not a full range of sprites to insert into the game or nothin'.

Would you ever consider concept art for the other Advance classes, if not sprites? I really like your Gladiator design.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Where can you get that hack? Because it looks cool as hell having that level of freedom (and a period to actually use the GBA classes, post/endgame content like that pisses me off since you have no time to actually try it out)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Here's the site for the patch and info on the various changes.

It's fun as hell and a great way to breathe new life into the game if you've gotten bored replaying it for the twentieth time, or to kill time until the next Four Job Fiesta.

e: You may also want to check out the Mod of Balance hack for FF1 GBA, which adds new classes.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 24, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Miracon posted:

Would you ever consider concept art for the other Advance classes, if not sprites? I really like your Gladiator design.

Probably? :shobon: I did it as a one-off but I might have an idea for Cannoneer Galuf.

Mega64 posted:

It's fun as hell and a great way to breathe new life into the game if you've gotten bored replaying it for the twentieth time, or to kill time until the next Four Job Fiesta.

Hell I did a Four Job Fiesta with it (if unofficially). Knight/Red Mage/Cannoneer/Gladiator, hell yeah.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That'd be a great way to breathe new life into a FJF, actually, plus it'd let you actually use those GBA jobs.

Those GBA jobs really would've worked better if they simply added one new job per crystal instead of dumping three right before the final dungeon and the last one after beating the bonus boss.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

That's about the point IIRC where she almost exclusively started talking in third person and I wanted to reach through my phone and throttle her, yes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I'm sure we all know about FFX and FFX-2 HD collection, but I'm curious about the international stuff.

Played the poo poo out of the original, loved it, and ready to revisit and see the new content. What's going to be new to me regarding the international content and are the new post-game content going to be extremely grindy as gently caress to get up to?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ineffiable posted:

So I'm sure we all know about FFX and FFX-2 HD collection, but I'm curious about the international stuff.

Played the poo poo out of the original, loved it, and ready to revisit and see the new content. What's going to be new to me regarding the international content and are the new post-game content going to be extremely grindy as gently caress to get up to?

The warning I heard most about X International: make sure to get the temple treasures on your first visit, because some optional superbosses set up shop in front of the temples that are virtually impossible to beat without end-game gear and copious grinding. I don't remember what you need the treasures for, again- Yuna's final weapon or one of the best summons or something, so it's suckful to get locked out of that.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Ineffiable posted:

The optional superboss is penance. Essentially max stats, playing blitzball to get wakka's ultimate weapon, and learning the timing for his slots overdrive are mandatory.

There's also a new sphere grid.

Do we know for sure if it's the international version? Part of me sort of hopes it's just the NA version because I'm OCD about trophies and I'm really dreading the grind to prep and fight penance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

The optional superboss is penance. Essentially max stats, playing blitzball to get wakka's ultimate weapon, and learning the timing for his slots overdrive are mandatory.

There's also a new sphere grid.

Do we know for sure if it's the international version? Part of me sort of hopes it's just the NA version because I'm OCD about trophies and I'm really dreading the grind to prep and fight penance

You can use Yojimbo to oneshot Penance IIRC.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
FFX-2 International has a pretty enormous sum of new content: there's monster hunting/catching which you can use as party members in battle, new tournament-style fights, and a new game mode which plays like a sort of board game, and comes with extra story. There's a english patch being released soon for it, if you want to try it out before the HD version is released http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/918914-final-fantasy-x-2-international-last-mission/65085806.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Here's the site for the patch and info on the various changes.

e: You may also want to check out the Mod of Balance hack for FF1 GBA, which adds new classes.

Sweet, thanks!

ImpAtom posted:

iirc they redid the Yojimbo mechanics for International to make it easier to grind compatibility with him. If you throw enough cash in 1k chunks or so at him he'll get to a point where he'll do a Zanmato with some degree of consistancy for a decent spot of cash. I played through International and beat the Dark Aeons but not Penance using emulator memory trickery to make the grind easier and even then I'd probably stick with grinding Zanmato if I knew about the changes instead of building up stats and armor to survive the Dark Aeons. Like getting 99 dark matters to make one ribbon. You still have to get the ultimate weapons I believe, I never got Penance to spawn on the airship location list and I never got... Khimari's weapon I think. I did kill all the Dark Aeons so I assume that was the missing requirement.

For the temples, you need to get the treasure from each one using the destruction sphere or whatever it's called. Getting it in all of the temples unlocks Anima which you need so you can beat that one summoner with all the summons to get an item to get Yuna's ultimate weapon. If you miss Besaid and Macalania Temple you have to fight Dark Valefor and Shiva respectively before you can reenter. You also need to get the Sun Sigil/Crest in Yunalesca's room as soon as possible because that's where Dark Bahamut spawns and if he's in there you can't get the chest :suicide:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GreatRedSpirit posted:

iirc they redid the Yojimbo mechanics for International to make it easier to grind compatibility with him. If you throw enough cash in 1k chunks or so at him he'll get to a point where he'll do a Zanmato with some degree of consistancy for a decent spot of cash. I played through International and beat the Dark Aeons but not Penance using emulator memory trickery to make the grind easier and even then I'd probably stick with grinding Zanmato if I knew about the changes instead of building up stats and armor to survive the Dark Aeons. Like getting 99 dark matters to make one ribbon. You still have to get the ultimate weapons I believe, I never got Penance to spawn on the airship location list and I never got... Khimari's weapon I think. I did kill all the Dark Aeons so I assume that was the missing requirement.
I never played the international version, do the Dark Aeons do unsummon poo poo? Or do you grind Dark Matters just 'cause, because I'm fairly certain there are far superior setups for armor that require that you don't have something like Ribbon forged in.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GreatRedSpirit posted:

You still have to get the ultimate weapons I believe, I never got Penance to spawn on the airship location list and I never got... Khimari's weapon I think. I did kill all the Dark Aeons so I assume that was the missing requirement.

Nah, you just have to kill the Dark Aeons. The easiest goof is Dark Yojimbo, since you have to beat him a total of five times in one trip to the cave for him to stay beaten, and on top of that one of the encounters is in a side room you can just stroll past.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

When I was younger my friend had an EU PS2 and I watched him play the International version. Parts of it were actively worse, like he was on his way to get something he missed earlier and BAM Dark Aeon that could kill his whole party in a couple of turns. He ended up never finishing some of the sidequests because of that.

It was balanced around the fact that people quickly figured out how to break FFX in half and kind of "countered" a lot of strategies people used with the new content.

Like in normal FFX if you give a couple of characters Auto-Phoenix armor they automatically revive anyone that dies without wasting turns, making you invincible as long as your whole party doesn't wipe at once. In International they gave a lot of optional bosses a move that instantly shatters your character so that they can't be revived with this trick.

On the other hand as mentioned they buffed Yojimbo to actually be useful and one of the side effects is he could completely skip most of this optional content by killing it in one hit on a semi-regular basis.

If you've already played and broken the original game it does give you lots of new stuff to do, like the new sphere grid can completely change how your party plays throughout the game and is a lot easier to overhaul for max stats and if you're actually looking for a challenge outside of the monster arena at least it's there.

I'm excited to play with the new Sphere Grid but dunno how I feel about the Dark Aeons being forced on you in certain situations if they keep it in.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I never played the international version, do the Dark Aeons do unsummon poo poo? Or do you grind Dark Matters just 'cause, because I'm fairly certain there are far superior setups for armor that require that you don't have something like Ribbon forged in.

Sorry, ribbon certainly isn't required for the DAs. Some of them have status attack like Bahamut's Impulse will petrify the party that have to be planned for. I went with a one-armor-fit-all approach, making specialized armor as each DA requires it like Stoneproof, Deathproof, or... Sleepproof? is still viable. There's more grinding for other abilities like Auto-Phoenix or Auto-Protect and the abilities to be immune to the status effects in some capacity but dark matters aren't required.

There's no unsummon so there's always the god Aeon approach too, the closest to an actual unsummon is a 100% OHKO from Yojimbo and the Magus Sisters. This is the first time I've seen this as part of research to jog my memory, I never thought Aeons were viable against DA! Shows how much I really know about the post-post game.

I 'grinded' dark matters through memory hacking, I hacked an inventory slot so whatever what was in it I would get x99 of. I'd probably quit otherwise through all the monster capturing grinding, grinding for sphere levels, grinding for spheres, and grinding for customization. There's just so much loving grinding and it is really easy to blow past some of the post game enemies like species/area conquest that you kill them in three hits anyways.

Vil posted:

Nah, you just have to kill the Dark Aeons. The easiest goof is Dark Yojimbo, since you have to beat him a total of five times in one trip to the cave for him to stay beaten, and on top of that one of the encounters is in a side room you can just stroll past.

Maybe that was it! I remember fighting Yojimbo to the last room in the cave with the teleporter and assumed that was it. Screw you FF10 International! :argh:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ImpAtom posted:

Good call I had totally forgotten about that. I hate that as a mechanic (grinding a hidden affection meter to raise RNG chances) but it sounds like it might be less annoying than the max stats + blitzball + learning attack reels timing + perfect armor grind.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You could just Quick Hit them to death rather than throw Attack Reels. Granted, in that case you're grinding out a fair bit of Luck and Fortune Spheres, but you're not tied to any particular character either.

Personally I had Yuna (and by Yuna I mean Yuna, not Yuna's aeons) as my main damage dealer when I beat the dark aeons years ago. She has a nice quick animation, and her weapon is both easy to get/upgrade and easy to keep powered up (high MP).

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
That HD Remaster font under the game logos in the trailer looks like something that's meant to indicate it's part of a series. Might they be working on some PS1 remasters too? I suppose that would require significantly more work, but I dunno.

FFIX is just so drat slow. It's charming and fun but I'm not off disc 3, 0 grinding (other than Chocographs, which I guess counts?), 0 letting the game sit there while I did nothing, and I'm at like 36 hours. Probably 4 hours is loading battles, it feels...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So from what I've learned for FFX international, do sidequests as soon as you get them, get Yojimbo asap and grind out his Zanmato. Trophies are gonna be a bitch but I'd like to at least see all the optional content stuff.

X-2 sounds like it's gonna be fun to go through again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Systematic System posted:

FFX-2 International has a pretty enormous sum of new content: there's monster hunting/catching which you can use as party members in battle, new tournament-style fights, and a new game mode which plays like a sort of board game, and comes with extra story. There's a english patch being released soon for it, if you want to try it out before the HD version is released http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/918914-final-fantasy-x-2-international-last-mission/65085806.

And I think about 2 or 3 new Dresspheres. I was really interested in those when I looked at them ages ago.

I am totally getting this!

I just need to get a PS3 first... Hopefully Square will be kind enough to wait to release this till after I've moved.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

And I think about 2 or 3 new Dresspheres. I was really interested in those when I looked at them ages ago.

I am totally getting this!

I just need to get a PS3 first... Hopefully Square will be kind enough to wait to release this till after I've moved.

Or a Vita that you can play while you move :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

So from what I've learned for FFX international, do sidequests as soon as you get them, get Yojimbo asap and grind out his Zanmato. Trophies are gonna be a bitch but I'd like to at least see all the optional content stuff.

X-2 sounds like it's gonna be fun to go through again.

I've been reading up on Yojimbo in Internation on this guide and here's the :spergin: of it:

- Paying Yojimbo will increase his motivation to use his stronger attacks like Zanmato. The curve here is an exponential cost for linear gains. The motivation increases happen on 2x / the cost doubles to get the next increase in his motivation. Throw money at him at 512 / 1024 / 2048 / etc. amounts, that way you aren't wasting gil.

- You only gain compatibility when Yojimbo uses Wakizashi (+1 for single, +3 for the hit-every variant) or Zanmato (+4). The knives don't change compatibility, the dog will reduce compatibility (-1), summoning and dismissing him also drops it (-3), and if he dies (-10) or if you don't pay him anything (-20) his compatibility will drop hard. Compatibility caps at 255 and starts at 128.

- When you recruit Yojimbo you get a choice of why you wan to recruit him. Pick "I want to kill the strongest fiends" (option 3). This will reduce the 'Zanmato Resistance' penalty of Yojimbo's motivation to use stronger attacks (like Zanmato) on stronger enemies. You do take a motivation penalty against most random encounters though which can make it rougher to grind up his compatibility. The first option ("I want to train as a summoner") gives a bonus or penalty to his motivation depending on the % of your current gil you give him to make him attack. Given that you don't want to give him all your money every time just to get a bonus don't pick option 1. Option 2 ("Gain power to kill fiends") doesn't appear to have any effect on motivation.

- Full over drive Yojimbo gets a decent motivation boost that isn't modified by the enemy's Zanmato Resistance. You can pay full OD Yojimbo 1 gil at zero compatibility and still have a ~5% chance to get a Zanmato.

A bit of math! Assuming you grinded Yojimbo to 255 compatibility and picked option 3 ("Kill strongest fiends") and need to unload a Zanmato on some dark aeon and threw 32768 gil at him:
32768 gil gives 56 motivation, 255 compatibility gives +63 motivation (compatibility / 4) on top of that to give 119 motivation. DA + Option3 sets motivation to 40%, or a 60% penalty, to 47. Full OD adds +20 here to 67. A random number between 0 and 63 is added to motivation here and you need 80 or higher to Zanmato. Unless I hosed up my math you have ~80% chance to Zanmato his rear end.

If you didn't pick option 3 the DA would set motivation to 16% instead of 40%. 119 * 0.16 = 19, +20 = 39. You need 41+ on the RNG to Zanmato, or ~36%.

It's probably worth reducing grinding time by picking option 2 and grinding compatibility quicker/cheaper on weak enemies instead of option 3 to reduce the Dark Aeon penalty. Or just OD Yojimbo and pay more without grinding compatibility and reload if he doesn't Zanmato.

e: Starting compatibility Yojimbo with 32768 gil will have a ~28% chance to Zanmato. ~61% if you pick option 3. I feel like I am loving up my math from the guide because those are really great odds.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 25, 2013