Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm putting together my new shredders and I don't think I'm doing this right. One looks ok on its haunches, but two look like they're marking a fire hydrant, and the fourth looks like it's doing a Russian hat dance :(

Sounds like it's working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Just bought a khador spriggan heavy mech kit. Is this bugger worth magnetizing? looks like a lot of work...

Honestly the only really bad part is the shoulder mounts for the cannons, it was hard for me to get the holes to match up on some of them. Other than those, magnetizing the head, head cover mount, wrists and right hands is pretty easy since those all slot in anyway. You can glue in the left hand because all three 'jacks have it attached. If you want to have the Spriggan with the spear facing forward you'll have to get the right shoulder to pivot and hold in place, but I was happy with him resting the spear on his shoulder so I wouldn't be poking other models with it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm putting together my new shredders and I don't think I'm doing this right. One looks ok on its haunches, but two look like they're marking a fire hydrant, and the fourth looks like it's doing a Russian hat dance :(

Seems right to me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can anyone point me to some video battle reports between top players? There's a good video in the OP featuring Khador v Cygnar but I'm looking for Cryx vs either or both of those factions, if there are any around.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Legion vs Trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimjCOFMLtk
Brett Wilkie vs Galea, good match to watch.

As for retarded Shredders, that sounds about right, I had to really plan mine out before I assembled them so they didn't look too dopey.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I think I'm going to re-examine the two fire hydrant ones and try and fix them, but I'll get a Khador hat for the Russian hat dancing one so I can pull it out versus Khador armies and mock them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pyrolocutus posted:

I think I'm going to re-examine the two fire hydrant ones and try and fix them, but I'll get a Khador hat for the Russian hat dancing one so I can pull it out versus Khador armies and mock them.

By "fix" I can only assume you mean look into sources for 28mm fire hydrants

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Fun fact: Cyriss already has more non-character heavies spoilered than trolls.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Fun fact: Cyriss already has more non-character heavies spoilered than trolls.

Another fact, I might have to hunt down my local Facebook friends to harvest their organs to pay for the robot awesomeness.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Another fact, I might have to hunt down my local Facebook friends to harvest their organs to pay for the robot awesomeness.
Who the gently caress buys organs nowadays, clockwork is the new meat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

w00tmonger posted:

Just bought a khador spriggan heavy mech kit. Is this bugger worth magnetizing? looks like a lot of work...

I'm going to magnetize mine soon, because gently caress wasting the extra arms on my budget. I'll let you know how it went, if you can wait a bit.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hmmm I was thinking of doing the same thing. Get on it! Love to know how it goes.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross posting from the oath thread, plus an extra dorf.

Galleon

Epic Mags

Lord Rockbottom (kinda pale and seasick looking).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was going to introduce a friend to the game on Thursday. He's familliar enough with wargames and there's enough time that I don't think it's necessary to do babby's first battlebox game.

Here's what I came up with for forces:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Casters: 1/1
High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Crusader (6pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Temple Flameguard (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Faction: Khador
Kommandant Irusk (*6pts)
* Spriggan (10pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

They are relatively balanced as far as points spent on jacks/units/solos, fairly representative of how the factions play with some mainstay units, and look fun. Plus I should be able to field them both fully painted.

I'm going to steer him towards Khador since it will probably be the easier one to play. Maybe turn the mini-death star into a min size unit and put in a Manhunter, or WM Marksman to keep things interesting?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

KingMob posted:

Cross posting from the oath thread, plus an extra dorf.

Galleon

I want to paint this cleanly

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think that Rhulic pirate needs a chat bubble saying "Deal with it."

Those look great!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Linear Obstacles are always nice in Warmahordes, so I painted some up. The GW walls kit is good value (these are not even half the pieces you get for about 15€), but in hindsight I should've removed the obligatory skulls first.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Luebbi posted:

Linear Obstacles are always nice in Warmahordes, so I painted some up. The GW walls kit is good value (these are not even half the pieces you get for about 15€), but in hindsight I should've removed the obligatory skulls first.

Funny, I've also been looking at some of the fantasy terrain kits, and they do seem like an unusually good value for GW products. Shame some of the more elaborate ones are just festooned with crazy amounts of GW's "skulls on our skulls, and more skulls to be named later" aesthetic. Then again, I could pick up that guard tower thing, obscure/hack off/greenstuff over the SKULLS ON SKULLS nonsense add the Khador flag I couldn't be bothered to put on my already finicky MOW Kovnik, and have a nice easy MOTHERLAAAAND terrain piece.

Moving on to Protectorate newbie questions:

So Exemplar Errants are pretty much the omnicapable badasses they appear to be on paper, right?

This is one of the few units that I can see the potential to buy up to its FA without encountering significant diminishing returns. 24 points, 30 errants on the table. With WM and some sorta supporting buffage, they can even chip away at heavies a nick at a time.

I mean, shame about the DEF, but they can't have everything.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Luebbi posted:

These look pretty sweet, gj.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Otisburg posted:

Funny, I've also been looking at some of the fantasy terrain kits, and they do seem like an unusually good value for GW products. Shame some of the more elaborate ones are just festooned with crazy amounts of GW's "skulls on our skulls, and more skulls to be named later" aesthetic. Then again, I could pick up that guard tower thing, obscure/hack off/greenstuff over the SKULLS ON SKULLS nonsense add the Khador flag I couldn't be bothered to put on my already finicky MOW Kovnik, and have a nice easy MOTHERLAAAAND terrain piece.

Funny you mention that, I also got the Watchtower and kept a rough track of removed skulls vs. irremovable skulls. I think I removed about 20, while another dozen or so are in recessed areas, and my greenstuff work is too shoddy to do something about those. Still, I'm happy with the piece, and for some reason the fantasy kits really do seem underpriced - not only compared to GW's usual pricing, but even compared to some of the competitors.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Luebbi posted:

Funny you mention that, I also got the Watchtower and kept a rough track of removed skulls vs. irremovable skulls. I think I removed about 20, while another dozen or so are in recessed areas, and my greenstuff work is too shoddy to do something about those. Still, I'm happy with the piece, and for some reason the fantasy kits really do seem underpriced - not only compared to GW's usual pricing, but even compared to some of the competitors.

The really simple "warhammer fortress" tower looks like it would be easy to adapt to the WM aesthetic and has an astonishing ZERO SKULLS if I'm not mistaken... but given that it's just essentially a big box I would feel bad spending money on something I should be figuring out a way to MacGuyver together.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Otisburg posted:

Moving on to Protectorate newbie questions:

So Exemplar Errants are pretty much the omnicapable badasses they appear to be on paper, right?

This is one of the few units that I can see the potential to buy up to its FA without encountering significant diminishing returns. 24 points, 30 errants on the table. With WM and some sorta supporting buffage, they can even chip away at heavies a nick at a time.

One unit of Errants goes a long way, the only reason I would even remotely consider a second would be a Vindictus tier list.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any recommendations on what magnet size to use for magnetizing the heavy dragonspawn heads/arms, and any other tips?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Otisburg posted:

You usually don't want to buy multiples of the same unit. There's more value in adding different options in order to be able to build different list and counter different units your opponent might bring, rather than doubling up on a strong unit. There is some exceptions, of course, but you usually only see doubles of large units in theme forces or gimmick lists. Flooding the table with guys that all do the same job just makes it easier for your opponent to hard counter your list with one of his own tricks.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any recommendations on what magnet size to use for magnetizing the heavy dragonspawn heads/arms, and any other tips?

http://plarzoid.com/2012/02/how-to-tuesday-magnetize-a-plastivean-kit/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

You usually don't want to buy multiples of the same unit. There's more value in adding different options in order to be able to build different list and counter different units your opponent might bring, rather than doubling up on a strong unit. There is some exceptions, of course, but you usually only see doubles of large units in theme forces or gimmick lists. Flooding the table with guys that all do the same job just makes it easier for your opponent to hard counter your list with one of his own tricks.

Plus I suppose you need to save some room for Judicator to do his fun stuff. And some Vengers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zwiebel posted:

Errants have a weak statline without DW and will get shredded by lists that can put out lots of attacks. They will also struggle against models like Nyss and you only get one UA.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Have a 35pt Steamroller coming up this weekend and I'm stuck as to what my second list should be.

First one is going to be T4 pDoomshaper.

Faction: Hoarluk - Runes of War
Tiers: 4
Hoarluk Doomshaper (*7pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)

Start with 2 walls on the table, and an almost full Krielstone, discounted Runeshapers, +2" deployment. Doomie and co tank up down the middle and Runeshapers take each flank. Wait until they commit and then break out of the brick and hopefully win.

I just can't decide on my second list -

Jarl Skuld, Devil Of Thornwood (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Trollkin Long Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Horthol, Long Rider Hero (5pts)

This is a cut down version of the 50pt list you guys helped me with. I've just swapped the Nyss in for Fennblades who are on a run of disappointing me in every way except threat range (originally had Fell Caller, Min Long Riders and Stone Scribe Chronicler instead of Nyss, Max Riders and Gobbers). I've at least had some practice with the Fenn version of the list, and I'm willing to give the Fennblades another chance - just wondering if the Nyss would be a better option. One of the things I liked about the previous version, was being able to camp flags/objectives with the Fell Caller and Stone scribe, since fitting all of a Troll unit around one is almost impossible.

My other possibility that I just wrote up today is bringing back the Fennblades, but with eMadrak. Plan is basically to move up in a brick, then attack while rotating Blood Fury across the Burrowers and Fennblades and feating. Downside is, I've not yet played eMadrak.

Madrak Ironhide, World Ender (*5pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone Scribes (3pts)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Sons of Bragg (6pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)

I have one last chance for a game on Wednesday, so would be able to try out anyone I pick.

Help me Troll brothers. Do either one of these work to cover the weaknesses of pDoomie?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Got to play in my first tournament yesterday at Great Escape Games Sacramento, had a blast and event went 1-1-1 so all together not bad for a first outing. The draw was a series of misfortunes and errors, purification striping Dragonslayer off of venethrax, primal on a Warpwolf stalker was gonna land a whole lot if hurt on a dice -2 caster thanks to his refills from Scales of Fate.

Only to find I was less then half am inch out if threat range, Cryx proceeded to eat my whole army leaving me with just Morv, Morv makes contact boosting to hit with the goat, and starts pilling refillable 12+4d6 killing him with her last focus.

Only to find he didn't account for the souls he got from killing my team, we reroll and I fail to kill this time, but out of gentlemaness we call it a draw.

Awesome nailbiter of a game though, and I can't wait for annother event.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Buy a pack of magnets that comes with a drill bit of the same size. You can also add a guide pin in addition to the magnet. Magnet to keep it attached, guide pin to keep it oriented the right way so it doesn't hang like a wet noodle.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Anyone have a suggestion for a video regarding Hordes? Warmachine and focus I seemed to understand well, but I seem lost with the Fury system in Hordes. Is there a video or a way someone can explain Fury better to me?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What is it you generally need to know? It basically works backwards to Focus. Instead of allocating out and spending it, you force beasts to generate it and leech it back during the next maintenance phase which is the big advantage of the system, you spend the resource to cast spells/animi etc whilst your beasts generate it, whereas Warmachine have to spend their battlegroups resource as well as their own personal resources.

The key difference is transfers vs camping focus and that when the next turn/maintenance phase rolls around, Fury doesn't disappear, you have to draw it back and fury left on your Warlock does not vanish like Focus does and is then drawn back.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Khorne Flakes posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a video regarding Hordes? Warmachine and focus I seemed to understand well, but I seem lost with the Fury system in Hordes. Is there a video or a way someone can explain Fury better to me?

You're in metro Detroit(ish) right? You should consider checking at RIW or Gamers Guild, they have super cool dudes there who are happy to help out new players. Or come to Gamers Sanctuary, the coolest store. :clint: We'll learn you up some sweet WMH.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Gamers Gauntlet, not Guild. Beware of anything with the word Guild in it, as that is just generally speaking good advice.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

You're in metro Detroit(ish) right? You should consider checking at RIW or Gamers Guild, they have super cool dudes there who are happy to help out new players. Or come to Gamers Sanctuary, the coolest store. :clint: We'll learn you up some sweet WMH.

I've been going to Pop! for about the past year, I like the group of people since most of them are casual players like me. RIW/Pandy/GS are all a 45+ min drive for me. I've been to Gamer's Gauntlet once, and all the Brony/Card gamers was enough for me to never want to step foot in there again.

PoP! is supposed to get one of those Press Gangers in next week I think, so I might pick it up a bit better when he comes in. It's just a weird transition from Warhammer rules to Warmahordes rules, but I really am digging these better than GW's jumble of garbage.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Khorne Flakes posted:

I've been going to Pop! for about the past year, I like the group of people since most of them are casual players like me. RIW/Pandy/GS are all a 45+ min drive for me. I've been to Gamer's Gauntlet once, and all the Brony/Card gamers was enough for me to never want to step foot in there again.

PoP! is supposed to get one of those Press Gangers in next week I think, so I might pick it up a bit better when he comes in. It's just a weird transition from Warhammer rules to Warmahordes rules, but I really am digging these better than GW's jumble of garbage.

Cool man. I only just heard of Pop! The other day so I didn't think of it. The WMH scene in Michigan is exploding right now. Really awesome to see.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh man there is a Kraken in the mail for me. I don't care if it's sorta lackluster that thing is the tits design-wise. I'm gonna run it with PSkarre, some McThralls, and the regulation Satyxis Raider package. Anyone have any other good lists with Krakens?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

theironjef posted:

Oh man there is a Kraken in the mail for me. I don't care if it's sorta lackluster that thing is the tits design-wise. I'm gonna run it with PSkarre, some McThralls, and the regulation Satyxis Raider package. Anyone have any other good lists with Krakens?

pSkarre lurves the Kraken. So does the Witch Coven, eDenny, and eGoreshade. The new Gaspy probably likes it too but I've honestly never seen anyone put them together.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

theironjef posted:

pSkarre is awesome with the Kraken, my buddy and I slapped a list together a few weeks back to see how it worked which was:

Faction: Cryx
Pirate Queen Skarre (*6pts)
* Kraken (19pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

And it worked pretty well, he went 2-1 with it the same night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Flipswitch posted:

pSkarre is awesome with the Kraken, my buddy and I slapped a list together a few weeks back to see how it worked which was:

Faction: Cryx
Pirate Queen Skarre (*6pts)
* Kraken (19pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

And it worked pretty well, he went 2-1 with it the same night.

My buddy got 4th place at Mayhem Cup running this at 50 points

Pirate Queen Skarre

Kraken
Skarlock Thrall

Satyxis Raiders Max

Satyxis Raider Sea Witch

Satyxis Blood Witches Max

Satyxis Blood Hag

Mechanithralls Max

Mechanithralls Min

Necrosurgeon and Stitch Thralls

Necrosurgeon and Stitch Thralls