Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Fat Ogre posted:

The best part about that is, the vikings don't care about being liars to Christians. Odin's blood brother is Loki the master of lies. Loki used lies to win all sorts of poo poo for the Gods all the time.

Even if they had found out he was faking in their minds he'd have gone to Valhalla for the sheer ballsiness of his plan.

This is true. From Hvaml, a collection of Odin quotes:

quote:

If you deal with another you don't trust
But wish for his good-will,
Be fair in speech but false in thought
And give him lie for lie.

Even with one you ill-trust
And doubt what he means to do,
False words with fair smiles
May get you the gift you desire.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I didn't have very high hopes initially, but this show is pretty great even if I have to wait for it to air on TV to watch it. In particular, the raid on the monastery where they so easily broke down the gate and sort of took their time strolling in wasn't what I was expecting at all, and was a lot better for it. My only complaint is that I'm just bored to death by the Jarl drama. "Oh geez, he is threatening Ragnar again and he took all their treasure and now he is having a child killed. :geno:" The Jarl just seems like such a one dimensional Evil Guy that I just can't care, but at least it seems like they are building up to him going too far and being taken out.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Fat Ogre posted:

The best part about that is, the vikings don't care about being liars to Christians. Odin's blood brother is Loki the master of lies. Loki used lies to win all sorts of poo poo for the Gods all the time.

Even if they had found out he was faking in their minds he'd have gone to Valhalla for the sheer ballsiness of his plan.

Yep, a lot of Viking traders agreed to be baptized whenever they entered a Christian town since they usually got some nice poo poo for it and it made trading easier, I don't know if they converted to Islam as well for easier trading but I doubt it since I can't imagine that they would be cool with the whole circumcision thing.

I quite like the show but I sure hope that Ragnar just kills the Jarl soon since the idiocy of the Jarl is getting really tiresome and his "plotting" is taking time away from Ragnar being awesome.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Just caught up with all the episodes and echoing what everyone else has said here. Ragnar is a great protagonist and is played with just enough cockiness to make him lovable but not obnoxious and Lagertha is beautiful and bad-rear end.

But also agreeing that Jarl is just an awful character. He's lacking the believably of say.. Spartacus's Batiatus who did horrible things, but was so well written that you understood his logic behind his most awful of choices, and yet Jarl's "evilness" feels incredibly by-the-numbers, ("welp! we better have him murder an innocent child I guess..."), that he never hits Game of Thrones Joffery levels where you get immersed in his character by how reprehensible he is.

Whoever compared him to Wile E Coyote is right because he has all the depth and cunning of a Looney Tunes character and I wouldn't be surprised if Ragnar gives him a giant smooch on the lips and runs off as the series progresses.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Mucktron posted:

But also agreeing that Jarl is just an awful character. He's lacking the believably of say.. Spartacus's Batiatus who did horrible things, but was so well written that you understood his logic behind his most awful of choices, and yet Jarl's "evilness" feels incredibly by-the-numbers, ("welp! we better have him murder an innocent child I guess..."), that he never hits Game of Thrones Joffery levels where you get immersed in his character by how reprehensible he is.
I agree completely, "by-the-numbers" is exactly how Jarl's character is written. However, I couldn't compare it to Sparatacus' Batiatus, who was more like an anti-hero of the show (particularly Gods of the Arena) rather than a villain.

It could go some way if Jarl would start giving us status reports of the positioning of Odin's cock in relation to his rear end, though.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 24, 2013

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
This show is very entertaining, I just wish they wouldn't give me a sneak peak of what will happen during the next segment in the commercials, like some lovely reality show.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

What time are they putting up ep 5? I noticed they took the 4th episode down from the website.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My history knowledge is not so great - why were they calling the English people Saxons? I thought Saxons were from Lower Saxony, Germany, ie Vikings.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

leidend posted:

My history knowledge is not so great - why were they calling the English people Saxons? I thought Saxons were from Lower Saxony, Germany, ie Vikings.

Saxons, along with Angles, Frisians and Jutes, invaded or migrated to the island of Great Britain (Britannia) around the time of the collapse of Roman authority in the west. Saxon raiders had been harassing the eastern and southern shores of Britannia for centuries before, prompting the construction of a string of coastal forts called the Litora Saxonica or Saxon Shore, and many Saxons and other folk had been permitted to settle in these areas as farmers long before the end of Roman rule in Britannia.

Not to be that guy, but that answer was googled by typing three words man.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

What time are they putting up ep 5? I noticed they took the 4th episode down from the website.

Episode 4 is back up, but when do we get 5 :black101:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Episode 4 is back up, but when do we get 5 :black101:

Is there a set day that they release these on the site? I literally have no idea when this show actually airs, but I kind of enjoy the mystery.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vikings or Danes came from Sweden, Norway and probably Finland, eventually down into what is now Denmark, then Juteland, Occupided by the Jutes.

Germany was covered by the franks, Saxons, Angles, Thuringians, Burgundians, Lombards and Vandals. Some true barbarian tribes and some not so barbarian

these pages are worth a read if your interested, it shows the Migration of the various tribes of Europe and Eurasia, you can the eventual break up and settling of tribes to make up the national identity of the areas in eastern europe, and probably why such fierce rivalry exists today, it goes back to before the fall of the western roman empire.

Riveting stuff actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_migration#Migrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 25, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

Occupided by the Jutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjbf-dHjW0

Praying to Odin that this is how Jutes is pronounced.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conquistador posted:

Is there a set day that they release these on the site? I literally have no idea when this show actually airs, but I kind of enjoy the mystery.

just turns up whenever it feels like, and fucks up your plans... Kinda like the Vikings.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They should slip some cash to a dude who controls the emergency broadcast and invade all TVs simultaneously in true Viking fashion

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Conquistador posted:

Saxons, along with Angles, Frisians and Jutes, invaded or migrated to the island of Great Britain (Britannia) around the time of the collapse of Roman authority in the west. Saxon raiders had been harassing the eastern and southern shores of Britannia for centuries before, prompting the construction of a string of coastal forts called the Litora Saxonica or Saxon Shore, and many Saxons and other folk had been permitted to settle in these areas as farmers long before the end of Roman rule in Britannia.

Not to be that guy, but that answer was googled by typing three words man.

That didn't answer my question and I did try to find the answer myself.

I guess the answer is that the "Englishmen" that Ragnar was stealing from and murdering were viking/Germanic tribes that had settled a long time ago? Why else would they be called Saxons?

But I thought the whole idea of the story was that Ragnar was the first to go west.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Germanic =/ Viking

E: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples#Migration_Period

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 25, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Conquistador posted:

Germanic =/ Viking

I didn't mean to imply they were one and the same.

But, in essence, it was vikings attacking the descendants of a Germanic tribe in England?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

leidend posted:

I didn't mean to imply they were one and the same.

But, in essence, it was a Germanic tribe attacking the descendants of a Germanic tribe in England?

Yep, that is somewhat accurate anyway. That article I linked is pretty good in general, not necessarily just the part I singled out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Angles had North england, the saxons has southern england (hence Anglo-Saxon) like 300 years before the show is set, over that time they had become a group of kingdoms the Tribe element didn't last very long as the all merged and fought over territory, the got Kings, and nobility and Religion.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One reason I like this show is that I ended up reading tangentially related stuff in history because of it. Wikipedia is dangerous for that poo poo man, I started off reading about that island they invaded and I forget where I ended up but I think I treked over to the Ottoman Empire...

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

leidend posted:

I guess the answer is that the "Englishmen" that Ragnar was stealing from and murdering were viking/Germanic tribes that had settled a long time ago? Why else would they be called Saxons?

But I thought the whole idea of the story was that Ragnar was the first to go west.
He is supposed to be the first dane to go west. The saxons invaded and settled "england" (there was no england at that time) before the timeframe of the show, displacing/killing/mingeling with the natives.

Some centuries after the show, the danes will basically try do the same to the saxons.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
According to Rome, wouldn't England have been just a bunch of Celts prior to the Germanic tribes migrating down? (By which time Rome was already very much on the decline)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conquistador posted:

One reason I like this show is that I ended up reading tangentially related stuff in history because of it. Wikipedia is dangerous for that poo poo man, I started off reading about that island they invaded and I forget where I ended up but I think I treked over to the Ottoman Empire...

Yeah I'm just on the Ostrogoths and reading towards the fall of the western empire. My woman is learning it because i'm telling her and i'm wrecking her head.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

leidend posted:

As other people have said, the Angles and the Saxons took control of England (Angle-land) hundreds of years before the show is set. Saxons at the time came from the Northwestern Coast of Germany, and the Angles were from the Baltic. They had a similar culture to the Danes but were not vikings. The "English" in the show would consider themselves Saxons because 1) they were probably at least part Saxon still, 2) the Saxons had been in control of England for 350 years and continued to call themselves and their subjects Saxons. At that point they weren't much like their ancestors anymore though, kind of like how you probably aren't very similar to your ancestors from 350 years ago.

The whole idea of the story is that Ragnar is the first Scandinavian to go west.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

canuckanese posted:

aren't very similar to your ancestors from 350 years ago.

Pfft, I'm a dead ringer for Hernan Cortez

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canuckanese posted:

As other people have said, the Angles and the Saxons took control of England (Angle-land) hundreds of years before the show is set. Saxons at the time came from the Northwestern Coast of Germany, and the Angles were from the Baltic. They had a similar culture to the Danes but were not vikings. The "English" in the show would consider themselves Saxons because 1) they were probably at least part Saxon still, 2) the Saxons had been in control of England for 350 years and continued to call themselves and their subjects Saxons. At that point they weren't much like their ancestors anymore though, kind of like how you probably aren't very similar to your ancestors from 350 years ago.

The whole idea of the story is that Ragnar is the first Scandinavian to go west.

except the timeline is out and he didn't go west until way after the first landing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nektu posted:

He is supposed to be the first dane to go west. The saxons invaded and settled "england" (there was no england at that time) before the timeframe of the show, displacing/killing/mingeling with the natives.

Some centuries after the show, the danes will basically try do the same to the saxons.

Yeah in beginning the Vikings were mainly interested in plunder and prestige from military accomplishments, but eventually did massive full-scale invasions of places such as Ireland. Either they ended up culturally assimilated such as the Rus/Normans or in the case of the Danes eventually driven out once the locals got a effective military leader.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rus/Normans?

The Normans were Danish Viking raiders who settled in northern france and were given land to stop the fighting. Eventually mutating with the frogs and becoming Normans,

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Rocksicles posted:

except the timeline is out and he didn't go west until way after the first landing.

Yes, I've pointed that out before. In the context of the show, which is what we're talking about, he's supposed to be the first Scandinavian.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The Rus were Northmen (mainly Swedes) who went East in to Russia via the Volga and founded a kingdom. "Rus" is believed to come from the Norse word to row. They ruled over the native Slavs and were eventually culturally and linguistically assimilated.

The Rus kingdom was one of several (lovely) reasons the Germans used to justify their race war on the Eastern Front in WW2.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 25, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ahh yeah my bad, i missed that reference.

Some big brains in here, The other TV forum i'm a member of and discussing this is full of dunderheads.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 25, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

leidend posted:

Well the Angles and Saxons went North, not West.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

Eventually mutating with the frogs and becoming Normans,

At first I took this literally and I don't think I could accurately describe my excitement. Then, welp.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Conquistador posted:

At first I took this literally and I don't think I could accurately describe my excitement. Then, welp.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hahah yay. Did you google viking frog or something?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thats a dead ringer for my ancestors... so im told.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Haha, well, googling viking frog does yield what you posted as the first result so I guess so. There are also a lot more viking frogs than I thought there would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
Vikings thread turns into something from Mr Toad's wild ride combined with Lemmiwinks....gotta love goons.

• Locked thread