Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Xandu posted:

On Cairo lawlessness

Where did this appear originally? Do you have a link back to the article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Sorry, it's in The National.

https://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/criminal-gangs-fill-void-left-by-egypts-broken-security-apparatus

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I had no idea things were THAT bad. Granted, like that officer said, the police can't be expected to step into the middle of that mess and expect to maintain stability, but it's probably a bad reflection of Egypt's economic situation at the moment that there isn't much stopping all that from happening.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
So, not only has Khatib resigned, but the "FSA" has rejected the authority of Ghassan Hitto.

Aljazeera posted:

Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib, Syria's opposition leader, has announced his resignation from the National Coalition, his spokesman told Al Jazeera.

Mohamed Ali said the resignation followed Saturday's meeting with the European Union, "which resulted in achieving nothing".

In a statement released on his facebook page on Sunday, Al Khatib confirmed his resignation from the dissident group recognised by dozens of states and organisations as a legitimate representative of the Syrian people.

"I announce my resignation from the National Coalition, so that I can work with a freedom that cannot possibly be had in an official institution," Khatib said in the statement.

"For the past two years, we have been slaughtered by an unprecedentedly vicious regime, while the world has looked on," Khatib said.

"All the destruction of Syria's infrastructure, the detention of tens of thousands of people, the forced flight of hundreds of thousands and other forms of suffering have been insufficient for the international community to take a decision to allow the people to defend themselves," he added.

His statement comes hours after the Arab League extended an invitation to the opposition coalition to attend the summit in Qatar next week.

The pan-Arab bloc has suspended Assad's membership and recognised the Coalition as the legitimate representative of the people of Syria where a two-year conflict has killed more than 70,000 people.

Khatib is a former imam and moderate Islamist who rose from independent ranks as a respected figure of dissent against the Damascus regime.

Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al Thani, the Qatari prime minister, said that he regretted Khatib's decision, and urged him to reconsider.

FSA rejects rebel PM

Meanwhile, the armed Syrian opposition said on Sunday that it refused to acknowledge the authority of Ghassan Hitto, the Coalition-appointed prime minister for rebel-held areas in Syria.

"We in the Free Syrian Army do not recognise Ghassan Hitto as prime minister because the National Coalition did not reach a consensus," at the March 18 vote, said FSA political and media coordinator Louay Muqdad.

"I speak on behalf of the (rebel) Military Councils and the Chief of Staff when I say that we cannot recognise a prime minister who was forced on the National Coalition, rather than chosen by consensus," Muqdad said.

Hitto won an election in Istanbul after 35 out of 49 Coalition members voted for him following some 14 hours of discussion in a closed meeting bringing together prominent opponents based both inside and out of Syria.

Several key Coalition members, including official spokesman Walid al-Bunni, however, walked out of the meeting and boycotted the vote.

And later at least 12 top Coalition members announced they had suspended their membership in the opposition body in protest against an election result they viewed as illegitimate.

Meanwhile, opposition activists from Bashar al-Assad's Alawite Shia Muslim sect called for him to be overthrown, during a conference held in Cairo, the Egyptian capital, on Sunday.

"The Syrian regime is not an Alawite sectarian regime ...the Alawite sect was and is being held hostage by the regime,"
said the statement, which was read out by Alawite activist Tawfiq Dunia.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pieter posted:

Most are women :ssh:

I don't see how that changes the fact that almost all of them look depressed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So any truth to the rumor that Assad was shot by a bodyguard? I don't see any major news sites picking it up, so probably false: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/breaking-assad-shot-by-iranian-bodyguard-hospitalized-in-damascus/

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mod sassinator posted:

So any truth to the rumor that Assad was shot by a bodyguard? I don't see any major news sites picking it up, so probably false: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/breaking-assad-shot-by-iranian-bodyguard-hospitalized-in-damascus/

He's been declared dead before. The sources for this story seem to be a few rumours tossed around and nothing at all concrete, I'm very skeptical about it.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Chamale posted:

He's been declared dead before. The sources for this story seem to be a few rumours tossed around and nothing at all concrete, I'm very skeptical about it.

Almost every evening for the last two years, the Arab Gulf twitterverse whips itself into a frenzy of circle-tweeting about Bashar's death and/or escape from Syria.

In other news, JAN and other islamist groups are being surprisingly competent at running things in Raqqah.
Bouti Has been Buried in the grounds of the Ommayad Mosque, next to Saladin's grave. He is the fourth person in history to ever be buried there, or the fifth if you include John the Baptist.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Nada Bakos, former CIA analyst, posed this question on twitter

https://twitter.com/nadabakos/status/315905474111365120

quote:

Question: Are there any Syrian opposition groups left that aren't extremists with a salafi agenda? Is there a real opposition to Assad?

I wanted to reply with something concrete as I know that there are a lot of non-salafi opposition groups but they tend to be a lot more local. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything listing such groups within this year. The Institute of War had this report from 2011-2012 and I remember there was a primer list of rebel groups done by Foreign Policy a bit ago but I was unable to find it.

Are there any recent resources on salafi and non-salafi resistance groups that could be cited?

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 24, 2013

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

mod sassinator posted:

RT has indicated on Twitter that sources close to Assad deny the rumour, although they haven't made an article of it yet. At this point, we've had so many rumours that we wouldn't know if he was shot unless someone posted a photo/video of it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

CJ Chivers has good Syria article this week.

Jammed in Roman Caves, Ducking Syria’s War
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/world/middleeast/syrians-fleeing-home-crowd-in-roman-caves.html?ref=cjchivers

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Another report of CW usage in Syria:

quote:

Syrian Forces Fire Chemical Weapons at Rebels, opposition says - RTRS
24-Mar-2013 19:24
AMMAN, March 25 (Reuters) - Syrian opposition campaigners said on Monday Syrian forces fired what they said were chemical weapons from multiple rocket launchers at rebels surrounding an army base in the town of Adra on the outskirts of Damascus, killing two fighters and wounding 23.
"Doctors are describing the chemical weapon used as phosphorus that hits the nervous system and causes imbalance and loss of consciousness. The two fighters were very close to where the rockets exploded and they died swiftly. The rest are being treated with Atropine," said Mohammad al-Doumani, an activist in the nearby town of Douma, where the wounded were transported.
There was no independent confirmation of the attack, which follows the death of 26 people in a rocket attack near the city of Aleppo last week. The authorities and rebels accused each other of firing a missile carrying chemicals there.

The fact that atropine is being described as the treatment gives this a bit more credibility than the other reports, but we'll see how this develops. Given the destroyed state of Syrian public health infrastructure, where could one find atropine unless someone else was providing it?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

There's probably some opportunity here for neighborhood patrols to create their own police forces directly accountable to the people they serve, and rely less on a police force that has justifiably lost all power, respect and credibility.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

suboptimal posted:

The fact that atropine is being described as the treatment gives this a bit more credibility than the other reports, but we'll see how this develops. Given the destroyed state of Syrian public health infrastructure, where could one find atropine unless someone else was providing it?

Military stocks? Atropine isn't rare.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Military stocks? Atropine isn't rare.

Yeah, you're right, and after doing a little research, it seems as though atropine auto injectors have a long shelf life of around five years. Some other tests have shown samples from WWII days retaining an effective level of potency.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

suboptimal posted:

Phosphorous? If that's a chemical weapon then NATO should be indicted for war crimes, because it's used constantly for smoke. I've seen plenty of videos of SAA using smoke to screen their movements in urban areas. The rebels have every motive to fake or lie about chemical attacks and the SAA has every motive not to do to them.

Seeing this march to war based on imaginary stuff and false flags is really disheartening.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 25, 2013

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

WEREWAIF posted:

Phosphorous? If that's a chemical weapon then NATO should be indicted for war crimes, because it's used constantly for smoke. I've seen plenty of videos of SAA using smoke to screen their movements in urban areas. The rebels have every motive to fake or lie about chemical attacks and the SAA has every motive not to do to them.

Seeing this march to war based on imaginary stuff and false flags is really disheartening.

From the context it is not very loving hard at all to figure out that the chemical being discussed is an organophosphate poison (could be a pesticide, could be a serious business nerve agent), not white phosphorous, and that Mr. al-Doumani probably just failed to use exactly technically correct terminology while talking to a journalist.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

quote:

Arab nations and Turkey, helped by the CIA, have dramatically increased military aid to Syrian rebels in recent months, The New York Times reported on Monday.

The US Central Intelligence Agency was helping their efforts, the newspaper added, citing air traffic data and interviews with unnamed officials and the rebel commanders.

The airlift has grown to include more than 160 military cargo flights by Jordanian, Saudi and Qatari military-style cargo planes landing at Esenboga Airport near Ankara, and at other Turkish and Jordanian airports, the report said.

US intelligence officers have helped the Arab governments shop for weapons, including a large procurement from Croatia, it said. They had also vetted rebel commanders and groups to determine who should receive the weapons as they arrive.

Turkey had overseen much of the program, fixing transponders to trucks ferrying the military goods through Turkey so it could monitor shipments, the paper added.

"A conservative estimate of the payload of these flights would be 3,500 tons of military equipment," Hugh Griffiths, of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), told the paper.

"The intensity and frequency of these flights," were "suggestive of a well-planned and coordinated clandestine military logistics operation", he
added.

So it's pretty much the norm now to ship military aid to the rebels. I think what helped in justification and a non-response from the international community was the constant exposure of Iran's military aid and the accompanying atrocities being reported on that could justify really no one giving a poo poo of the Arab peninsula and western interests shipping military aid. On one hand of course the human rights of all people benefit from taking down the Assad regime, but the other end of the stick is where the aid is going. Are the ones we are giving weapons to wanting democracy and equality.. equality and human rights being the aim and war-call of the Arab Spring. I don't think Islam and democracy are mutually exclusive, but humans are innately corruptible and the groups that are gaining ground do not represent the Arab Spring in its ideals.

quote:

The Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee is calling for greater US involvement in Syria through the creation of a safe zone that would allow the US military to train
opposition forces attempting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

Representative Mike Rogers of Michigan said on CBS television's "Face the Nation" on Sunday that he does not want to lure the United States into a "big boots on-the-ground conflict".

However, Rogers said he believes a greater US presence is necessary to prevent chemical and conventional weapons from falling into the hands of anyone who would like to harm the United States if Assad is forced out.

Republicans continue to give no shits except votes and war-mongering.

quote:

Nizar al-Heraki, Syria’s opposition ambassador to Qatar, told Al Jazeera that he will be arriving in Doha along with the recently resigned leader of the National Coalition Mouaz al-Khatib from Cairo on Monday evening.

Heraki said the reaction to Khatib’s stepping down was "very strong". He didn not directly say whether Khatib will back off on his decision or not but that "he will see if the international community will fulfill the promises it made".

Khatib's stepping down may be a method of manipulating the political community into stepping up arms provisions to the rebels. It all seems to be coming together in political maneuvering for arms being supplied to rebels to put the final nails in Assad's coffin.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 25, 2013

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

So it's pretty much the norm now to ship military aid to the rebels. I think what helped in justification and a non-response from the international community was the constant exposure of Iran's military aid and the accompanying atrocities being reported on that could justify really no one giving a poo poo of the Arab peninsula and western interests shipping military aid. On one hand of course the human rights of all people benefit from taking down the Assad regime, but the other end of the stick is where the aid is going. Are the ones we are giving weapons to wanting democracy and equality.. equality and human rights being the aim and war-call of the Arab Spring. I don't think Islam and democracy are mutually exclusive, but humans are innately corruptible and the groups that are gaining ground do not represent the Arab Spring in its ideals.

Republicans continue to give no shits except votes and war-mongering.

Khatib's stepping down may be a method of manipulating the political community into stepping up arms provisions to the rebels. It all seems to be coming together in political maneuvering for arms being supplied to rebels to put the final nails in Assad's coffin.

Khatib has proven to be a very shrewd and capable leader. He has also garnered much support on the ground, and is respected by a large percentage of the population who see him as honest, credible and representative of their aspirations. He has made himself necessary for any group that wants to claim representation of the Syrian people, and as such can be considered the first person who is capable of unifying the opposition outside of the Muslim Brotherhoods influence which has been the largest hindrance to any serious political front in the revolution. I think his resignation is to test the support he has, both in the FSA and among the population, as well as within the international community. We can already see states trying to keep him in, and judging from the MB response and his apparent attendance of the Qatar conference that will be happening soon, I expect him to be cutting deals with those two on various issues.
Tl;dr: Khatib resigned because of two things: the international community's apathy towards the Syria situation and in my opinion to pressure the MB and it's Qatari backers into some sort of deal. What will come out of this is still unclear.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on Croatian arms in Syria from the NYT today, detailing more information on the supply lines to the Syrian opposition. The Guardian also has more on that today.

[edit] This is the best bit

quote:

Croatia and Jordan both denied any role in moving arms to the Syrian rebels. Jordanian aviation officials went so far as to insist that no cargo flights occurred.

The director of cargo for Jordanian International Air Cargo, Muhammad Jubour, insisted on March 7 that his firm had no knowledge of any flights to or from Croatia.

“This is all lies,” he said. “We never did any such thing.”

A regional air traffic official who has been researching the flights confirmed the flight data, and offered an explanation. “Jordanian International Air Cargo,” the official said, “is a front company for Jordan’s air force.”

After being informed of the air-traffic control and transponder data that showed the plane’s routes, Mr. Jubour, from the cargo company, claimed that his firm did not own any Ilyushin cargo planes.

Asked why his employer’s Web site still displayed images of two Ilyushin-76MFs and text claiming they were part of the company fleet, Mr. Jubour had no immediate reply. That night the company’s Web site was taken down.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 25, 2013

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Founding officer of the FSA (one of the first high ranking defectors) lost a leg in what was a bomb or rocket attack on his car on sunday- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21923643

WEREWAIF posted:

The rebels have every motive to fake or lie about chemical attacks and the SAA has every motive not to do to them.

The syrian regime could well use such an attack to justify their own use of serious chemical weapons like VX/Sarin dispersed properly, rather than what appears to be farming/pool cleaning chemicals jury rigged into an attack.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 25, 2013

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Worth noting that Timothy McVeigh blew up the OKC Federal Building with 'just' 'farming chemicals' and diesel.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
Props to brown moses for your research. Syria is heartbreaking and I'd love to see the US government setting up refugee camps to help the people instead of supporting rebel groups that are really not worth a drat, and won't do anything positive for the country if Assad is disposed of. I can't imagine what it would be like to be trapped in the middle of that war, but I'm sure I would be trying to do everything I could to escape. The major powers don't seem interested in helping the people at all. There's only talk of supporting armed groups. They're all incredibly selfish.

I know there's a lot going on in the Middle East, and I know this is an I/P free zone, but is it also an Afghanistan free zone? I know from experience that SA is not the place to come to protest America's war policy, and that D&D is basically filled with US government employees, but in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, I was hoping a more respected poster could weigh in on Afghanistan, the prosecution of Bradley Manning, and what lies ahead for the US with respect to our war policy abroad. Are we as Americans going to be promoting a peaceful future or are we going to continue down the path toward permanent militarization and a permanent war economy?

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2013

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I think the people of Syria would disagree vehemently with you about the rebel groups being worth a drat, as evidenced by the mass defections and the whole civil war thing. If Assad wins, there is no hope. No hope for a better future. He will just keep killing and killing and killing, just like he was doing before the people took up arms against him. If Assad wins he will kill everyone who opposed him and his iron fist will come down with renewed vigor and multiplied force. It'll be like Iraq in 1991 all over again. That's why so many Syrians would rather die than live under his regime.

EDIT: As far as to respond to your question about American foreign policy, you can expect more diplomacy and multilateralism from the US as has been the case since the Obama administration took office. The horrors of the Iraq War have affected a generation of Americans and you will see a reflective avoidance of war for probably another decade. The US is leaving Afghanistan in 2014, and you can expect the drone campaign to wind down considerably. There will still be covert operations targeting Iran and various little Al-Qaeda affiliated groups in North Africa, but outright war has generally allowed Al-Qaeda to set up permanent bases in the countries we've invaded.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 25, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The fact of a civil war is proof in itself that things under a regime are so bad that people would literally prefer to die than live under it. By definition that makes the rebel groups worth a drat, even if the country isn't going to magically become a Western Liberal Democracy overnight.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

The-Mole posted:

Worth noting that Timothy McVeigh blew up the OKC Federal Building with 'just' 'farming chemicals' and diesel.

We don't know the circumstances yet, but it's quite possible that if whoever launched it had filled it with ANFO rather than Chlorine they would have killed more- The Chlorine attacks during the second Gulf War were largely ineffective.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The-Mole posted:

Which made explosives, not chemical weapons.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

Which made explosives, not chemical weapons.

Outside of the political ramifications chemical weapons aren't that much magically worse than chemical explosives.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Brown Moses, a question:

Is there any concern that perhaps by exposing covert international support for the Syrian opposition vis-a-vis weaponry, the supportive nations might suddenly halt munitions deliveries?

I'm not well-read or well-versed on the Middle East, both its conflicts and other history, but that bit you posted concerning the Jordanian Air Cargo fiasco naturally leads me to wonder if future potential allies of the rebellion might not want to risk being seen as meddling in another country's affairs.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Brown Moses, a question:

Is there any concern that perhaps by exposing covert international support for the Syrian opposition vis-a-vis weaponry, the supportive nations might suddenly halt munitions deliveries?

I'm not well-read or well-versed on the Middle East, both its conflicts and other history, but that bit you posted concerning the Jordanian Air Cargo fiasco naturally leads me to wonder if future potential allies of the rebellion might not want to risk being seen as meddling in another country's affairs.

I'd say the fact that these weapons are turning up in the hands of groups like Ahrar al-Sham and Jabhat al-Nusra should play a big part in that kind of decision making, and if it wasn't for the original work identifying the smuggled Croatia weapons it wouldn't now be apparent that they are ending up in the wrong hands.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Is it your determination that these deliveries are purposely ending up in the hands of the more extremist resistance groups? I know the evidence is scant and it's hard to form concrete assertions, but I'm trying to read between the lines a bit.

In other words, I've still got a fairly hefty amount of reading on the subject to digest, but are any of the local resistance groups being filmed with what appear to be foreign weapons?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is it your determination that these deliveries are purposely ending up in the hands of the more extremist resistance groups? I know the evidence is scant and it's hard to form concrete assertions, but I'm trying to read between the lines a bit.
Broadly speaking, the weapons will go to groups that are friendly with the smugglers, which are more likely to be extremist groups than ones which stand for the Syrian people. The extremists aren't unused to resisting government, so they'll have had pre-existing networks that weapons can come through, whereas newly formed movements don't have those benefits. As a result, smuggled weapons end up in the hands of extremist groups. Unless you're explicitly trying to find less-extreme groups, weapons will more often than not end up with the people who have been smuggling weapons for a while.

Is that a fair analysis?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Generally and within reason, countries will want weapons to go to the best fighters. Yes in certain circumstances that can change, like Saudi Arabia funding not very competent wahhabists in 1980s Afghanistan, and the US probably doesn't want to fund groups that will use those weapons to attack its interests, but I'm not convinced ideological purity is demanded in most cases.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure BM and others could weigh in, but that sounds plausible. I'm not on the up-and-up as far as international arms shipments are concerned, but I broadly figured they fell into 3 categories: legal, extra-legal, and illegal. I just did't know what these shipments into Syria were being classified as.

I understand, basically, that the U.S. and others are talking with the U.N. to adapt the embargo situation such that rebels could receive armament legally, but I guess that's still up in the air.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The intention with the Croatian weapons was they were to be supplied to members of the "official" Free Syrian Army, but what has happened is these weapons have now ended up in the hands of Salafist and Jihadist groups outside of the FSA. It's likely this is a result of the close working relationship between the FSA and these groups, and is an indication of what will happen to weapons provided to the FSA if the transfers are done above aboard. My conclusion is that if you are arming the FSA you'll end up arming the Jihadists too.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Xandu posted:

Generally and within reason, countries will want weapons to go to the best fighters. Yes in certain circumstances that can change, like Saudi Arabia funding not very competent wahhabists in 1980s Afghanistan, and the US probably doesn't want to fund groups that will use those weapons to attack its interests, but I'm not convinced ideological purity is demanded in most cases.

Since most people seem to expect Syria to turn to or continue in an intra-factional civil conflict even after Assad is deposed, I think the U.S. and EU have a strong interest in having arms go to the most secular groups. I don't know what they're actually doing, but I can't imagine they're happy with weapons going to radicals.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Best Friends posted:

Since most people seem to expect Syria to turn to or continue in an intra-factional civil conflict even after Assad is deposed, I think the U.S. and EU have a strong interest in having arms go to the most secular groups. I don't know what they're actually doing, but I can't imagine they're happy with weapons going to radicals.

Yeah I'm not sure what to take from the tone of this one:

http://www.voanews.com/content/syria-rebels-weapons/1628351.html

They even pass on the reports of CIA involvement but there really just don't seem to be any answers.

And you're everywhere now, BM. Wow.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

McDowell posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what to take from the tone of this one:

http://www.voanews.com/content/syria-rebels-weapons/1628351.html

They even pass on the reports of CIA involvement but there really just don't seem to be any answers.

And you're everywhere now, BM. Wow.

I think I'm lucky that my sudden internet superstar status has also co-incided with the new NYT report of weapons smuggling and I've been posting about those same weapons getting into the hands of Jihadists. I had Channel 4 News doing a two hour interview at my home today, and it sounds like it'll be a big piece, so I expect even more interview requests when that's broadcast, and I've still got the CNN interview to come (plus others). I'm pretty much using all the media exposure as an elaborate CV in the hopes of finding a job.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
It would seem that if the current regime undergoes much more destabilization AND the FSA can gain more solid ground within Syria, then a better scenario for the West might be to continue providing humanitarian aid to the FSA versus weapons.

But, I think all of the talk lately about the arms shipments combined with the increasing dialogue with the U.N. on loosening embargo restrictions, we're reaching a tipping point between pro-FSA countries remaining in the shadows or these same countries providing some sort of logistical support that's transparent to all. In another thread somewhere, someone posted an item about a U.S. congressman suggesting imposing a no-fly zone over Syria. While that possibility has it's own implications and potential headaches, could the neutering of the Syrian regime's air power be the very thing that would swing things into the FSA's favor?

EDIT: In the above article, the line "According to the experts" is a mean slap-in-the-face to Brown Moses' impending stint on the "foreign affairs correspondent" circuit. They should've sourced you, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I really don't think the Syrian governments air power is that significant now the opposition has so many AA weapons. The pilots have been forced to fly higher, and their unguided bombs and missiles often miss the intended target, and this has allowed the opposition fights to safely deploy heavy artillery and tanks. Really a no-fly zone would just be an excuse to attack the Syrian army on the ground, like we saw in Libya, and I'm sure that would move things a lot more quickly. Problem is then we're likely to see areas controlled by different groups with different agendas, and those groups competiting for control.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

EDIT: In the above article, the line "According to the experts" is a mean slap-in-the-face to Brown Moses' impending stint on the "foreign affairs correspondent" circuit. They should've sourced you, my friend.
They do mention me later on in the article, and I'm still just a lucky blogger for now.

• Locked thread