Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

duckfarts posted:

There's nothing wrong with food tourism. :colbert:

Gotta do something between meals...

Is there a Yelp-equivalent for Taiwan? I saw ipeen but it's pretty unforgiving for the Mandarin inept.

edit: oh god i'm off today and what do I even eat. I am the worst food tourist

Fish Ladder Theory fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
To be fair, Taiwan isn't exactly internationally renowned for its cuisine.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

Gotta do something between meals...

Is there a Yelp-equivalent for Taiwan? I saw ipeen but it's pretty unforgiving for the Mandarin inept.

edit: oh god i'm off today and what do I even eat. I am the worst food tourist

You eat zhuabing after zhuabing. With egg, yes spicy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWMcJyiX00

I eat about 3 of these a week, from this place on yongkang street.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I'm leaving my current position at a Shane school in 3 months. Currently feeling around for jobs. How is your HESS school, though?

In three months the position will be filled - actually next month it'll be filled. We'll be getting a new teacher from the April HESS training group. This is more of a "let's see if we can get someone immediately because we're short a teacher and all the NSTs have to teach 30+ hours a week now" kind of deals.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mine was the "WW2" green one with the little white star on the body. It actually had no issue stopping, but I rarely took it over 50kmh. There was a motorcycle club in my city for people who liked going up into the mountains and screwing around on their bikes, not sure if that's still around. I do see a pack of Harley style bikes at least once a week out here.

A bit late, but just to clarify, the brakes on my bike are fine for the most part. The issue is more that the bike is much heavier than a scooter. The extra weight means my motorcycle needs more room to come to a stop, and when your talking about Taiwan where driving is measured in inches it can be a bit hair raising at times. In addition, on a scooter when you lose traction and start to slide you can often still keep your balance and stay upright. On my motorcycle losing traction for even a second is going to send me into a crash.

All in all, in rural areas (which I live in) it's not such a big deal because it's easier to give everyone a wide berth while still maintaining a fast pace. However, in the city it sucks because your constantly changing gears, dodging potholes, dodging scooters/taxis that cut you off with mere inches to spare, and trying to keep up with traffic so it doesn't take you an hour to go a couple kilometers.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Fish Ladder Theory, (and anyone else that wants to join in) want to meet up tomorrow at noon at the Zhongshan Elementary School MRT stop exit 1? We can get some fried dumplings and then who knows maybe martyr's shrine or CKS or whatever.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

USDA Choice posted:

Fish Ladder Theory, (and anyone else that wants to join in) want to meet up tomorrow at noon at the Zhongshan Elementary School MRT stop exit 1? We can get some fried dumplings and then who knows maybe martyr's shrine or CKS or whatever.

Sure, I'm there. I did CKS today but in for whatever.

probably best to get me on whatsapp since I only have a US number, .

edit: my name mitch

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

I guess I'll show up too, if you don't mind.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

A bit late, but just to clarify, the brakes on my bike are fine for the most part. The issue is more that the bike is much heavier than a scooter. The extra weight means my motorcycle needs more room to come to a stop, and when your talking about Taiwan where driving is measured in inches it can be a bit hair raising at times. In addition, on a scooter when you lose traction and start to slide you can often still keep your balance and stay upright. On my motorcycle losing traction for even a second is going to send me into a crash.

Oh, I got that. My bike just wasn't that heavy. But I definitely get what you mean by not keeping your balance in the rain.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Dramicus posted:

I guess I'll show up too, if you don't mind.

Sure thing. Blonde hair, i'll try to wear a blue shirt, name's Eric. See you guys at noon exit 1.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

To be fair, Taiwan isn't exactly internationally renowned for its cuisine.
Hasn't stopped the Tourism Bureau vainly pretending it is, though. God they're so bad at their job.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Hasn't stopped the Tourism Bureau vainly pretending it is, though. God they're so bad at their job.

I think companies in the Mainland do a better job of this. 台式 things are all very hip. Lots and lots of places all over China advertise 台湾小吃 like crazy.

Ironically enough it's never anything I remember being super common in Taiwan itself. All I remember from my time in Taipei is stinky tofu and jipai everywhere, along with other basic Chinese/Asian fare, but here everything that's advertised as "Taiwanese" is stuff like fried pancakes and Japanese stuff like takoyaki.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's a lot of good streetfood to be had in Taiwan, like various meats on sticks. If you're here, there's not a good reason not to eat it. But as you said, it's not really unique to Taiwan at all, nor is it any better than you could get other places.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I dunno if it's cause it was the first time I was in Asia or what, but the danbing I got in the mornings on my way to class in Taipei in like 2008 were the best drat danbing I've ever had.

Here in the mainland danbing is still good, but over there it was much more like a crepe, and bacon and cheese were things you could get put in it. The best thing was this sick as hell garlic sauce the dude gave us to dip it in.

Basically that is all I associate Taiwan with and I'm going there this summer with the sole intention of finding that dude.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
我討厭你 (AKA: Taiwan Girls are Easy) by 宇宙人 (Cosmos people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLs8jf7iAnk

I guess they made this in good humor (although it's a terrible joke). I'd hate to think that young Taiwanese people are really this xenophobic and antifeminist.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Magna, you can get bacon egg n cheese bings in Shanghai! Used to be my regular breakfast :btroll:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Oz_Bonus posted:

I guess they made this in good humor (although it's a terrible joke). I'd hate to think that young Taiwanese people are really this xenophobic and antifeminist.

I dunno about that but it's catchy in that 'Somebody That I Used To Know' neo-new wave way. At least it's not another mandopop love song!

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Bloodnose posted:

At least it's not another mandopop love song!

I'm not so sure, I say this classic is Grammy-worthy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

USDA Choice posted:

Surely this is more like it.

Also yeah, Taiwanese society has hell of lady and not-like-us issues. I'm actually surprised you've never come across "whitey is only here to steal our women" and its sister "but those girls are all sluts anyway".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That attitude is practically non-existent compared to Korea. The only time I run into it is at nightclubs where you literally crash into the man-wall blocking the one girl the group of dudes brought with them from dancing with the waiguoren. All of the Taiwanese guys I've talked to one on one have been really excited when they found out I have spoken to Taiwanese girls. Maybe they just want tips?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah but Korea is like the Michael Jordan of racism.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

USDA Choice posted:

Whatever happened to that girl? Her career (read: breasts) seems to have lasted like six months in 2010.

TetsuoTW posted:

Also yeah, Taiwanese society has hell of lady and not-like-us issues. I'm actually surprised you've never come across "whitey is only here to steal our women" and its sister "but those girls are all sluts anyway".

When I first encountered the phrase "哈洋屌" (which I guess translates to like... sucking white dick?), I of course had to look up what it meant. Almost all the results from googling it are Taiwanese.

I mean I guess that's probably because it's Taiwanese slang, but it's worth bringing up that Taiwan has a unique name for this special phenomenon. Then there's lots of pseudo social science surrounding the term that is fun to read.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

TetsuoTW posted:

We're number one. We're #1 :toot:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I actually have two gay Korean friends who moved from Korea to China for work and are amazed at how "open and accepting" China is of gay people. :confuoot:

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Magna Kaser posted:

I actually have two gay Korean friends who moved from Korea to China for work and are amazed at how "open and accepting" China is of gay people. :confuoot:

I can't speak for Korea but I'm sure most of you have noticed how there's almost no hatred based on religious views compared to western countries. I've personally only seen negative opinions in China/Taiwan because of 1) the "heeby-jeebies" factor and 2) probably won't bear any children.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
When I first got here, the "T" look was totally in style and all the girls in my school were talking about it like it was cool.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

I can't speak for Korea but I'm sure most of you have noticed how there's almost no hatred based on religious views compared to western countries. I've personally only seen negative opinions in China/Taiwan because of 1) the "heeby-jeebies" factor and 2) probably won't bear any children.

Korea is also one of the most Christian nations on the planet! But I'm not sure if that really does anything besides give them an excuse. From what I've heard about Japan they're not the best place to be either and they have hardly any religious stuff going on, though.

Taiwan, on the other hand, is one of the most progressive places in Asia as far as LGBT rights go. In a lot of ways it beats out large portions of Europe and the States. They even introduced a bill for gay marriage way back when which got stomped

In China it's weird cause it was illegal like two decades ago and considered a mental illness 10 years ago, and now the basic mindset is a basically DADT. Hardly anyone goes around saying they're gay, and no one really bothers anyone who is gay. Younger people are pretty open as well.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
^30% is not "one of the most Christian nations ever", it's just one of the most Christian nations in Asia. I was about to say "the most", but I almost forgot the Philippines.

Bloodnose posted:

When I first encountered the phrase "哈洋屌" (which I guess translate es to like... sucking white dick?), I of course had to look up what it meant. Almost all the results from googling it are Taiwanese.

I mean I guess that's probably because it's Taiwanese slang, but it's worth bringing up that Taiwan has a unique name for this special phenomenon. Then there's lots of pseudo social science surrounding the term that is fun to read.

You guys must know that there is rude slang for miscegenation everywhere... I've been in an interracial relationship for years and I've heard just as bad things in the USA, even in big cities.

Taiwan is probably the most progressive country in Asia on almost every level. I know it's not fair to use college-educated people as representative of the entire populace, but I am consistently amazed by the things my Taiwanese friends come out with, such as "I am concerned for the human rights of the Filipino/Vietnamese workers in Taiwan". Even among the most thoughtful and well-educated Chinese/Korean/HK/Japanese people I know, I don't think I've EVER heard any of them express such sentiments.
My friend who is half Chinese (and definitely looks more white than not) went to Taiwan during their last election and she actually got DPP pamphlets because she was mistaken for an immigrant. It's sad that "there is a party that welcomes immigrants" and "some people are not completely filled with hatred/indifference for anyone unlike them" is the bar to meet in Asia but there you have it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hitension posted:

^30% is not "one of the most Christian nations ever", it's just one of the most Christian nations in Asia. I was about to say "the most", but I almost forgot the Philippines.

:goonsay:

It is one of the fastest, if not the fastest[citation needed], growing Christian nation. 4 of the 5 largest congregations in the world are in Seoul.

Christianity (especially Catholicism) is also actually on the rise in Korea while it's declining in most of Europe and North America.

Sorry for my hyperbole. I should have said Korea is unlike the rest of E. Asia in that it is Christian/religious to the extent it is likely not a trivial influence on the way homosexuals are regarded rather poorly there.

On to Taiwan things:

Has anyone been to Kinmen/Jinmen? When I head to Taiwan this summer I'm going via the Xiamen-Kinmen-Tai??? route and wondering if it's worthwhile to stay there for a day or two. It's supposed to be a nice beach place, but I've been told that about some pretty crappy places in Asia before.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Magna Kaser posted:

Has anyone been to Kinmen/Jinmen? When I head to Taiwan this summer I'm going via the Xiamen-Kinmen-Tai??? route and wondering if it's worthwhile to stay there for a day or two. It's supposed to be a nice beach place, but I've been told that about some pretty crappy places in Asia before.

I've never been and I haven't heard about nice beaches, but if you're a military/political history buff I'd definitely go for it. Other than that I hear Penghu mentioned a lot more for island vacations, though I suspect a lot of that has to do with proximity.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've been applying for some non-teaching jobs and I have so far been getting a positive response from one company for a technical writing position.

I am currently unavailable until July and because of this they have asked if I would be available for contract work until then. I'm guessing the correct response to this is yes, otherwise I suppose I would be shooting myself in the foot.

There hasn't been an interview yet and they are located in a different city from the one I'm in. I'm assuming the work would be completable over the internet. What do you goons think about this so far? Anything I should watch out for?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

I've never been and I haven't heard about nice beaches, but if you're a military/political history buff I'd definitely go for it. Other than that I hear Penghu mentioned a lot more for island vacations, though I suspect a lot of that has to do with proximity.

I'll be going regardless since it's by far the cheapest route from the mainland to Taiwan and thought it'd be neat to just hang out there for a day or two. Guess I'll just plan for that and hope the weather is nice and hang around to see what's up.

Jolly Corndog
Apr 5, 2008

It's lamb, ding dong,
not sal-man
Hey Taiwan goons, my friend is trying to convince me to move out that way sometime this year. Would you recommend finding work before taking the plunge or just going over there and winging it?

I've got some experience in the latter (been living in the Caribbean since 2010 after buying a one-way not knowing anyone) just wanted to make sure I don't go over there and can't find work. I've got a Bachelor's degree and some minor teaching experience but I've mostly just been bartending and hosting trivia/karaoke for the past few years, so I'm pretty rusty on the professionalism.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Jolly Corndog posted:

Hey Taiwan goons, my friend is trying to convince me to move out that way sometime this year. Would you recommend finding work before taking the plunge or just going over there and winging it?

I've got some experience in the latter (been living in the Caribbean since 2010 after buying a one-way not knowing anyone) just wanted to make sure I don't go over there and can't find work. I've got a Bachelor's degree and some minor teaching experience but I've mostly just been bartending and hosting trivia/karaoke for the past few years, so I'm pretty rusty on the professionalism.

Both are entirely viable, if you're the kind of person who's not afraid of doing it then it will mean more options since not all schools hire from abroad. We've got people here that were hired abroad and some that came over first, but I forget who did what.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Best case would be to do both; try to set something up, if you can't, then poke around when you're here. It's also way easier to find something if you're already in-country.

Also, any non-Taipei goons enjoying the quakes? The one this morning was pretty decent............for Taipei. I'm kind of wondering what it's like in regions closer to the epicenters.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

Best case would be to do both; try to set something up, if you can't, then poke around when you're here. It's also way easier to find something if you're already in-country.

Also, any non-Taipei goons enjoying the quakes? The one this morning was pretty decent............for Taipei. I'm kind of wondering what it's like in regions closer to the epicenters.

I always seem to sleep through most of the earthquakes. I remember once I was woken up by the sound of my monitors creeking as they swung around a bit. I was less worried about the earthquake and more worried about my monitor stands snapping.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

This one felt a little more violent than the one last(?) week. Does anyone know where the epicentre was?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Nantou. I guess a temple wall collapsed there and killed someone, too. This was definitely the largest one I've felt since I've been here, or ever for that matter.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I didn't feel anything. Sometimes I joke with Taiwanese friends that I'm from California and we laugh at your earthquakes for tiny baby, but now I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

I didn't feel anything. Sometimes I joke with Taiwanese friends that I'm from California and we laugh at your earthquakes for tiny baby, but now I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me.

You feel it more if you're on a higher floor as you'll get building sway. I've always worked on 5th floor or higher and definitely feel them at work, but I live on the 3rd floor and don't really feel them much when at home.