Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What head are you referring to as "multihex?" Torx? GIS isn't doing much for me.

12 sided. Sort of like the analog of a 12 sided socket. I just checked the internet. That's weird. It's what they used to be called. Perhaps a triple square is the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh. I didn't even know what the name of those were. I just called them "bastard VW sun bolts" whenever I saw them.

Thanks, Nazimobile nerds. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

General_Failure posted:

12 sided. Sort of like the analog of a 12 sided socket. I just checked the internet. That's weird. It's what they used to be called. Perhaps a triple square is the same thing.

Triple square is the proper name for those "multihex" bolts. Or, if you want to sound really German about it, XZN bolts.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh. I didn't even know what the name of those were. I just called them "bastard VW sun bolts" whenever I saw them.

Thanks, Nazimobile nerds. :v:

Hey they are really awesome. Unless you buy an inferior driver bit. Then it'll eat them alive. A proper fitting one can just about pull the earth off its axis before it thinks of stripping.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

Triple square is different from twelve sided Torx.

Technically, its Triple Square, Torx, and Spline Drive

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!

kastein posted:

What the hell is the second set of journals next to the crank journal for? I can't think of anything that would fit in there and be useful without getting smashed off by the crank webs every revolution.

It's for the opposite side connecting rod. These engines use a master and articulating rod setup like a radial aircraft engine, just in a Vee pattern.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
At this point I wonder if he isn't just backing non-stuck bolts out with them just to gently caress with us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

At this point I wonder if he isn't just backing non-stuck bolts out with them just to gently caress with us.

I wish. That bolt was a harmonic balancer bolt for my Audi and it stripped out, one of four. Its Allen and original to the 1987 Audi it came from.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 25, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm going to attempt to extract a snapped off transmission pan bolt and I'm willing to give you 10% of my soul as a finder's fee for hooking me up with whoever you sold yours to. :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

I'm going to attempt to extract a snapped off transmission pan bolt and I'm willing to give you 10% of my soul as a finder's fee for hooking me up with whoever you sold yours to. :ohdear:

How far in did the bolt snap?

If its below the surface, the first step I'd do is find a drill bit that has the same circumference as the bolt's shaft, drill enough to get a divot in the top of the broken bolt that will allow you to use a small bit to drill a small centered hole into the broken bolt, drill it about 1/4" deep (rough estimate)

Then, get the easy out, take a small tack hammer or a mallet and hammer the easy out into the hole, rotating gently to the left as you do, it should stick if you use the right size easy out compared to the hole you drilled.

Then, get an adjustable wrench, adjust to the square end of the EZ Out, and turn until it feels like its gripping (it should be doing this already due to the hammering), and then put force behind it.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

CommieGIR posted:

...and then put force behind it.

So it will snap off and impale the palm of you hand. It all makes sense now!

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

CommieGIR posted:

Then, get an adjustable wrench,
WTF, now we know you're lying.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Triple square is different from twelve sided Torx.

Technically, its Triple Square, Torx, and Spline Drive
Don't forget plain old 12pt bihexagonal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kotaru posted:

So it will snap off and impale the palm of you hand. It all makes sense now!

:stare: BEHIND THE WRENCH! Not the EZ Out!

Poing posted:

My lawyer has advised me to plead the 5th

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

To resolve the issue I previously posted:

Bitches don't know about my Easy Out.

CommieGIR posted:

This is the second or third time I have, check the Audi build thread to see me pull drive line Allen bolts with an easy out FROM AN ANGLE :catstare:

I center tapped those broken bolts by hand too, scared the hell out of me I was worried about drilling into the threads.

Nope. All clear.

CommieGIR posted:

I did it again. :tinfoil:

CommieGIR posted:

Non-horrible mechanical success:

:smug:

ZALGO LIVES!

Which devil do you pray to, and what rituals are required? Please, share your wisdom.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
To be fair only the first one looks like something vice grips couldn't fix.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

obso posted:

To be fair only the first one looks like something vice grips couldn't fix.

The first one was on a driveline assembly. You couldn't get any of the the ones I get with EZ-Outs with vise grips. They were all in obscure and tight spots.

Unless you are talking about the first one he quoted, which in that case those broken ends were all from a crank timing gear and all the bolts broke below the surface of the timing gear, so in the bolt hole.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 25, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Poing posted:

Apparently you only have lovely adjustable wrenches.

The most awesome adjustable wrench in existence:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ

I used one on a rusted-on fastener (around 18mm original head size, it was rusted down to around 17.25mm and barely hexagonal) holding an early 90s F350 track bar bracket to the engine cradle at the junkyard today. Grabbed that fucker tight with it, even though it was barely recognizable, and held tight while I used a breaker bar on the bolt from the other side.

This tool has saved my rear end 3-4 times now and is easily worth (IMO) three times what they are asking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

I used one on a rusted-on fastener (around 18mm original head size, it was rusted down to around 17.25mm and barely hexagonal) holding an early 90s F350 track bar bracket to the engine cradle at the junkyard today. Grabbed that fucker tight with it, even though it was barely recognizable, and held tight while I used a breaker bar on the bolt from the other side.

This tool has saved my rear end 3-4 times now and is easily worth (IMO) three times what they are asking.

Thank you for that link. Definitely going in my "oddjob" bag.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ok who did it? Who bought it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

You bought it. With your devil majykks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CommieGIR posted:

If you mean the wrench, it's in my cart right now. I forgot about it last time he posted it, but really wanted one. :tipshat:

e: herp derp, avatars. That's what I get for leaving them turned off.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 26, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

If you mean the wrench, it's in my cart right now. I forgot about it last time he posted it, but really wanted one. :tipshat:

I do like that wrench. Mine has a handle that is rotated 90 degrees so that if you have to push in the wrench you have a nice flat surface to push against.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a picture? I'm having trouble imagining this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Splizwarf posted:

Do you have a picture? I'm having trouble imagining this.

I imagine like these:

but adjustable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

kastein posted:

Thank you, one in my cart now. Anyone used one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-Locking-Wrench-With-Cutter/dp/B00004SBBD/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

I only wish I'd come up with that. That's pretty awesome.

Even Fucknag got a new avatar.

I get my first paycheck from the new job this weekend, I may buy one or two. :colbert:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

This wrench is amazing. I bought one immediately upon seeing it posted in the Tools! thread a while back. It's one of those "how did I get along without this before" tools for me.

Related, I should probably stop reading that thread. It's getting expensive :(

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Bought one also, I regret nothing.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, man that was brilliant. I was laughing hysterically to tears. Whoever did it had a perfect idea

I will be purchasing one of the wrenches, it looks drat handy and would likely work better in tight spots than my current 2 ft long Irwin

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 26, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Ha! The simplest things are the hardest to imagine. That is a good tool.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I saw this guy in the parking lot yesterday.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Appropriate that it has both turn signals on.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Nomex posted:

I saw this guy in the parking lot yesterday.

Did nobody ever tell him that if he doesn't stop crossing them, they'd stay that way?

The better question is, how did he even make it to the parking lot like that?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I stared at it for way too long wondering what was wrong.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Toe set to "pigeon".

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
That poo poo's hellatoe

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
I became a victim of the crappy potholes that seem to be everywhere at the minute. Full damage inspection tomorrow, should be fun

Jefinabox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jefinabox posted:

I became a victim of the crappy potholes that seem to be everywhere at the minute. Full damage inspection tomorrow, should be fun

Well, poo poo. What are you thinking, suspension, subframe, or hub?