Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Can anyone recommend me some good "fantasy racing" films? I loved Redline, Speed Racer, and Death Race 2000, to give you an idea. I'd prefer something quirky with a large cast of characters (or at least more than protagonist/antagonist/love interest), and maybe some sci-fi if it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

CloseFriend posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good "fantasy racing" films? I loved Redline, Speed Racer, and Death Race 2000, to give you an idea. I'd prefer something quirky with a large cast of characters (or at least more than protagonist/antagonist/love interest), and maybe some sci-fi if it exists.

Have you tried Cannonball Run?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Forgot to mention I've seen that too! I liked it, but not as much as the ones I mentioned. I've heard really bad things about the sequel, though, so I've been a bit reluctant to check it out.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

Forgot to mention I've seen that too! I liked it, but not as much as the ones I mentioned. I've heard really bad things about the sequel, though, so I've been a bit reluctant to check it out.
Just do it! There's also Gumball Rally, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, and Rat Race.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Rat Race is highly recommended for it's diverse cast and some really, really funny bits that you won't expect.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

Cingulate posted:

I saw Gosford Park recently, and it was the first time I actually loved, or even noticed, a film's/a director's style. There's this organic way the camera is floating through the constantly moving, living house, picking up parts of one conversation here, another one here ... sometimes the camera would listen in to a conversation and then skip to the next, sometimes the camera would stay in place, but the people would walk away and new people would arrive ... it seemed less like a movie, and more like walking around in the house while the events of the film were taking place.

I'm not even sure I liked the plot, or the movie, that much, but the style totally worked for me. Could have gone on for hours.
(Also, Helen Mirren is perfect.)

Nothing from Altman's other works seemed to immediately grab my eye. Any tips on where I should go for something similar to this style, Altman or otherwise?

I know this is from a couple pages ago, but I would recommend Mysteries of Lisbon. It's on Netflix instant. It's about 4 hours long and set in 19th century Portugal. The camera-work is pretty much what you describe. Sometimes it stays in one place and the action takes place off-screen, leaving everything to the imagination, sometimes it follows a certain character, sometimes it pans over the house, through a room. I've also never seen a movie that seemed to really take place in the time period. Most historical dramas today have some character that makes the whole situation relateable to the present-like the rebel character who stands up for values that we believe in today. I have to say, there were some scenes in Mysteries of Lisbon that I really did not understand because the people were reacting in such an alien way. There's a scene where this guy who is rumored to be a Brazilian slave-trader gets taunted by some aristocratic ladies at a party for having an affair. Once he shows one of them is a hypocrite because he saw another guy passing her a note at the party, she randomly faints and stares at him from the floor. Then her friend gets really worked up and faints too.

Anyway, I highly recommend it. The plot is a bit convoluted (it's not really a spoiler to say that every male character ends up being a hidden illegitimate son), but it's very engrossing.

OMG BYZANTIUM fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 18, 2013

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Cingulate posted:

I saw Gosford Park recently, and it was the first time I actually loved, or even noticed, a film's/a director's style. There's this organic way the camera is floating through the constantly moving, living house, picking up parts of one conversation here, another one here ... sometimes the camera would listen in to a conversation and then skip to the next, sometimes the camera would stay in place, but the people would walk away and new people would arrive ... it seemed less like a movie, and more like walking around in the house while the events of the film were taking place.

I'm not even sure I liked the plot, or the movie, that much, but the style totally worked for me. Could have gone on for hours.
(Also, Helen Mirren is perfect.)

Nothing from Altman's other works seemed to immediately grab my eye. Any tips on where I should go for something similar to this style, Altman or otherwise?

Blood of my blood, definitely. Don't know where you can get it, probably :filez: since I'm Portuguese and got it easily. It's really worth it.

Even if it's not for the director's style, watch it. It's a brutal movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Tonight I'm wanting a movie along the lines of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and Maniac. A deranged killer character study that's gritty, realistic, gory and has a psychological slant.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

caiman posted:

Tonight I'm wanting a movie along the lines of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and Maniac. A deranged killer character study that's gritty, realistic, gory and has a psychological slant.

"Don't Go in the House", "Deranged", and "Driller Killer" all come to mind, though none of them are exactly great.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

caiman posted:

Have you seen "Man Bites Dog"? It's less "gritty" and more "hilarious" but kind of in the same boat in terms of relative subject matter. (Also on YouTube in its entirety)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58g-gFAsuYA

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Parachute posted:

Have you seen "Man Bites Dog"? It's less "gritty" and more "hilarious" but kind of in the same boat in terms of relative subject matter. (Also on YouTube in its entirety)

Yes, I've seen it a few times actually and even own it. It's great. Good suggestion though.

And to Origami Dali, I've seen Driller Killer, but I'll look into the other two.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

caiman posted:

Yes, I've seen it a few times actually and even own it. It's great. Good suggestion though.

And to Origami Dali, I've seen Driller Killer, but I'll look into the other two.

Awesome! Have you seen "The Killer Inside Me"? It came out 2 or 3 years ago. Casey Affleck plays a psychotic sheriff/serial killer in West Texas in the early 1950's. Elias Koteas, Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba and Ned loving Beaty are in it, too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Parachute posted:

Awesome! Have you seen "The Killer Inside Me"? It came out 2 or 3 years ago. Casey Affleck plays a psychotic sheriff/serial killer in West Texas in the early 1950's. Elias Koteas, Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba and Ned loving Beaty are in it, too.

I have not. I'll put it on my list. Thanks!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

caiman posted:

You want Don't Answer the Phone! It has everything you're looking for but I don't remember it being overly gory. The killer is absolutely terrifying.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

caiman posted:

Kalifornia is a nice one in that vein. I can't remember how bloody it is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caiman posted:

Snowtown. A thousand times Snowtown. It's the best modern successor to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, IMO. Also, it's on Netflix under its alternate title, The Snowtown Murders.

Edit: Oh, also Vengeance is Mine is great. It's part of the Criterion collection, so maybe it's on Hulu or some poo poo?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 25, 2013

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

schwenz posted:

Kalifornia is a nice one in that vein. I can't remember how bloody it is.

Ah, another one that I own, have seen many times, and love. You guys are all hitting the nail on the head. I've just seen too many movies.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Snowtown. A thousand times Snowtown. It's the best modern successor to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, IMO. Also, it's on Netflix under its alternate title, The Snowtown Murders.

Cool, definitely looks like what I'm wanting. Thanks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Are there any good movies about the Falklands War?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there good movies where Robert Downey Jr. does not play a cocky guy? I'm not convinced that guy has range. I've only watched Good Night, and Good Luck, but he was spectacularly unremarkable in it. I suppose Chaplin might be a possibility but I haven't seen it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Are there good movies where Robert Downey Jr. does not play a cocky guy? I'm not convinced that guy has range. I've only watched Good Night, and Good Luck, but he was spectacularly unremarkable in it. I suppose Chaplin might be a possibility but I haven't seen it.

He's somewhat cocky in Chaplin as well, but it's one of the best performances I've ever seen, and a drat good movie in its own right (thanks mostly to him).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anybody know of any documentaries on Bigfoot? I've seen The Legend of Bigfoot (1976) and Bigfoot Lives (2007). Any others would be greatly appreciated.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

Does anybody know of any documentaries on Bigfoot? I've seen The Legend of Bigfoot (1976) and Bigfoot Lives (2007). Any others would be greatly appreciated.

It's been a while since I've seen it, and I'm not even sure if its available anywhere, but you might be able to track down In Search Of...Bigfoot, from the Nimoy-hosted TV series.

Edit: Here it is!

morestuff fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 4, 2013

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
I have two questions, similiar to each other.

1) I would like you to recommend me as much movies/tv shows with the 80s vibe to them. I'm not talking about the Cosby, Breakfast Club 80s. I'm talking about the Miami Vice, Scarface, Drive, Hotline Miami, pastel suited, teal shirted, Giorgio Moroder-soundtracked 80s.

2) Same but with early 60s. Think Mad Men, or The Apartment. Or Good Night and Good Luck.

Literally ANY recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

Red Garland fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 7, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red Garland posted:

1) I would like you to recommend me as much movies/tv shows with the 80s vibe to them. I'm not talking about the Cosby, Breakfast Club 80s. I'm talking about the Miami Vice, Scarface, Drive, Hotline Miami, pastel suited, teal shirted, Giorgio Moroder-soundtracked 80s.

2) Same but with early 60s. Think Mad Men, or The Apartment. Or Good Night and Good Luck.

1. To Live and Die in L.A, Thief

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Does anyone know of movies similiar to 2012's gay romance Weekend? Not in the gay aspect, but in the sense that they're about people having a short fling. Films that totally relax and just float around the time that these people spend together. Basically like Weekend, Lost in Translation and to a degree, Leaving Las Vegas.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

csidle posted:

Does anyone know of movies similiar to 2012's gay romance Weekend? Not in the gay aspect, but in the sense that they're about people having a short fling. Films that totally relax and just float around the time that these people spend together. Basically like Weekend, Lost in Translation and to a degree, Leaving Las Vegas.

Have you seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Tromeo and Juliet.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

morestuff posted:

Have you seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset?

Yes, I have. After I posted that question I actually wondered if I should go back and add those into the post. Thanks for your recommendation, though!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

csidle posted:

Brief Encounter

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just want to second this recommendation. It's a very good movie on first viewing but really sticks in your mind and grows even better over time and with subsequent viewings. It was available on Netflix Instant last time I checked.

I asked for recommendations similar to Before Sunrise earlier in the thread, let me see if I can find some of the recommendations.

e: one that was recommended and I watched was Medicine for Melancholy. I thought it came up a bit short in execution but it's not a bad movie and fits your request exactly.
All The Real Girls is a bit more Hollywood in feel (some of the set pieces i.e. the embrace on the bowling alley, the race track stuff were silly and it hit a lot of standard beats, the way it was shot with extreme color grading was disappointing), it was a good movie even if not quite what I was looking for. The tone was very good and is another movie that stays with you afterwards.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 7, 2013

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

csidle posted:

You say "short fling" and then "float around," but you mention Leaving Las Vegas. So I'll recommend Blue Valentine, which is a really great film about two people who fall in love and then break up.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Red Garland posted:

1. Thief With James Caan.

2. Bedazzled With Dudley Moore

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013

Ho Chi Mint posted:

2. Bedazzled With Dudley Moore
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230030/ this one?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Thanks for your recommendations. I'll check them out.

nocal posted:

You say "short fling" and then "float around," but you mention Leaving Las Vegas. So I'll recommend Blue Valentine, which is a really great film about two people who fall in love and then break up.

Doesn't that just follow two people over the course of a week or something? Unless I'm misremembering, I think it fits the criteria pretty well.

Thanks for the Blue Valentine recommendation, as well. I've actually seen it, and it's quite good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

This one, of which the other one is a remake.

Alpha1
Jun 20, 2010
I just watched Silver Linings Playbook and Eternal Sunshine, which are both excellent. Can anyone recommend other good love stories that feel genuine and don't end up being sappy and cliched?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Alpha1 posted:

I just watched Silver Linings Playbook and Eternal Sunshine, which are both excellent. Can anyone recommend other good love stories that feel genuine and don't end up being sappy and cliched?
Love is always sappy and clichéd, but if you're in it for the drama then check out: Rust and Bone, An Education, The Fountain, Blue Valentine, The New World, La Strada, Lolita, Notorious, or Brief Encounter. With the comedy option being Lars and the Real Girl.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Alpha1 posted:

I feel like I recommend these movies constantly, but (roughly in order of recommendation):
Before Sunrise + Before Sunset
everything by Wong Kar Wai, starting with In The Mood For Love, mandatory inclusions of Happy Together, Chungking Express, and ending with 2046
All The Real Girls (although it's a bit more Hollywood in feel w/r/t set pieces than the above)

I'd recommend starting with Before Sunrise, then watch a bunch of other movies and allow a few weeks at least to pass before watching the sequel since it takes place 9 years later and a bit of real time distance between the two is appropriate and perhaps necessary.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What are some great gangster, undercover cop movies? The kind of stuff that is along the lines of The Departed Or Reservoir Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

What are some great gangster, undercover cop movies? The kind of stuff that is along the lines of The Departed Or Reservoir Dogs.
The obvious choice is probably Donnie Brasco. I also watched White Heat recently and I loved it, although it's a bit older than what you're probably looking for.

• Locked thread