Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

88h88 posted:

This is the bit I don't understand. Everything else I use interchangeably depending on who I'm talking to and what it's about.

It works well enough as a comparative value. Even if nobody knows exactly how many litres it equates to, I know that a car that gets 60mpg should go twice as far as one that gets 30mpg. If I need to I can convert it into some godforsaken mile/l units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
We use liters per 100 km. :)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

NoWake posted:

Track gage, profile and alignment for US railroads is measured in inches and fractions thereof...

God drat that sounds tough. You'd think they would have loving magic lasers on the engines that automatically and continuously measure that poo poo out and report it up with gps data attached. We're living in the god-damned future for gently caress's sake.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

wayfinder posted:

We use liters per 100 km. :)

Couldn't that be simplified into ml/km, just to add confusion?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Just thought I'd drop this FunFact off here: Fahrenheit is a temperature scale based on the freezing point of -- drum roll please -- brine. This alone makes me a little peeved about still having to use the old system. Oh well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pseudonym posted:

Just thought I'd drop this FunFact off here: Fahrenheit is a temperature scale based on the freezing point of -- drum roll please -- brine. This alone makes me a little peeved about still having to use the old system. Oh well.

Except it's not. "Brine" was one of the three reference temperatures for his first scale, and not the final implementation. It also wasn't some saltwater "just because", it was specifically chosen because it's a frigorific mixture (something that reaches it's own equilibrium temperature and maintains it), which makes a lot of sense to use as a reference temperature given what he had to work with at the time. He used 1:1:1 ice, salt and water to achieve this.

To me, that's just clever. Especially given the time.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Astroman posted:

I have a Droid Global 2. I'm holding onto it because I'm desperately holding onto my Verizon grandfathered unlimited data (which means I have to hold onto 3G). I've looked at a Global 3, which would be a good upgrade.

But I thought a bit about what if I had to bite the bullet and go to 4G. The Droid 4 is the next model. And it has a locked away battery that is not user changeable! :psyduck:

If not even to have a spare battery, just alone for the fact that one of the main ways to do a reboot if the phone locks up is to rip the battery out, I can't ever see myself getting one of those!

Is this that bug again where posts end up in the wrong place? Otherwise you got IYG in my AI....Or AI in my peanutbutter or whatever.

You don't need to keep 3G to keep unlimited, you can buy a 4G device and have it changed no problem, you just can't take a subsidy on a new phone and keep unlimited.

Also: all of the internal battery phones have some sort of chipset-level hardware interrupt built in so you can reset the device. On a D4 for example, its power button and volume down for about 15 seconds. No matter what state the phone or software is in, it will reset.

Now for on topic content..

I saw a C6 with these yesterday, couldn't get close enough to take a good pic..

OOOOH Its so fast its on fire! But its METAL fire thats even COOOOOOOLER!

The description for the site is even better.

quote:

Looking for a unique, eye-catching, high-class accent that will remind everyone that your Corvette is the hottest vehicle on the road? Combining those three criteria might seem like a tall order, but these stainless steel taillight covers with a laser cut flame pattern fit the bill perfectly.

The distinctive, signature circular design of the Corvette's taillights just begs for personalization, but it's hard to find accessories that are as high-class as the car itself. Happily, these 100% stainless, laser-cut taillight covers are designed to be sporty and aggressive - and their stainless construction makes them downright classy. Don't buy cheap plastic imitations that will flake and peel - only stainless has the durability to last a lifetime.

HIGH CLASS! LASER CUT!

What is it with Vette owners and the obsession of putting things in the Taillight buckets?

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Exit Strategy posted:

Couldn't that be simplified into ml/km, just to add confusion?

My car gets 5.43x10^-3 m^3/km :haw:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Mighty Horse posted:

OOOOH Its so fast its on fire! But its METAL fire thats even COOOOOOOLER!

The description for the site is even better.

HIGH CLASS! LASER CUT!
Well drat, if adhesive chrome auto details are now "high-class" items then I'd better reevaluate my opinion of the Wal-Mart automotive section. I don't want to seem behind the times on such niceties as fuzzy steering wheel covers and stick-on autoswag. :haw:

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

NoWake posted:

Track gage,

All other measurements aside;
gage up to 57 1/2" - 80mph max
gage up to 57 3/4" - 40mph max
gage up to 58" - 10mph max
gage 58"+ - walking speed, you ain't s'posed to have trains runnin' on this poo poo \
If you work in the industry, shouldn't you know how to spell "gauge"?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Poing posted:

If you work in the industry, shouldn't you know how to spell "gauge"?

:eng101: You can use a gauge to read a measurement of track gage!

At least that's how it's spelled in the FRA handbook. Also, they do have test cars that take multiple measurements per foot as they run, but they only really come out 3-4 times per year on the main lines. Most all yard track and industry tracks get walked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

:eng101: You can use a gauge to read a measurement of track gage!

At least that's how it's spelled in the FRA handbook. Also, they do have test cars that take multiple measurements per foot as they run, but they only really come out 3-4 times per year on the main lines. Most all yard track and industry tracks get walked.

I don't know about that....There are people that study this and they call it Gauge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

frigorific

This is a fantastic word and I'm going to misuse it a bunch. "Hey Phy, how was your weekend?" "Frigorific!"

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
This sounds like an argument for irregardless.

Can you show screenshots that show that official documents ask for "gage"?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Some local car guys being dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z55pn3bzZl0

it gets pretty funny at about 2:50.

That scraping sound is because the miata is super slammed/hellaflush.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

jamal posted:

That scraping sound is because the miata is super slammed/hellaflush.

Do tracks not get mad at the damage surely done by dragging hard parts constantly like that?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Poing posted:

This sounds like an argument for irregardless.

Can you show screenshots that show that official documents ask for "gage"?

Not an "official document", but here are a few places that use "gage" as an accepted spelling in railroad terminology. Those third and fourth links are for products sold to the rail industry, mind. Even the NMRA uses it.

EDIT: Federal Regulation using the spelling "gage".

Seriously, took me longer to type up the post than it did to find a shitton of supporting references with a Google search.

InitialDave posted:

They're wrong. Gage is an entirely different word to gauge, it means a token of challenge or pledge, the proverbial gauntlet you throw down to an opponent.
Way to quote the first definition on Dictionary.com and not read the rest of the page! :waycool:

EDIT: Wait, are you actually trying to say that the Federal Railroad Administration is wrong about a term of art within the industry they regulate because Dictionary.com said so? :wtc:

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 25, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NoWake posted:

At least that's how it's spelled in the FRA handbook.
They're wrong. Gage is an entirely different word to gauge, it means a token of challenge or pledge, the proverbial gauntlet you throw down to an opponent.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Not sure where this goes or what the heck this is. Found this looking at a random stretch of 80.

It looks like a Chevy with a mushroom on it's roof.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Aurune posted:

Not sure where this goes or what the heck this is. Found this looking at a random stretch of 80.

Google car with a cover over the camera?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Aurune posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just another street-view survey car.

That, or somebody really screwed up installing their new roof rack.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
"The spelling variants gauge and gage have existed since the first recorded uses in Middle English, though in American English gage is found exclusively in technical uses"

So we've only been arguing about it for half a millenium.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

"The spelling variants gauge and gage have existed since the first recorded uses in Middle English, though in American English gage is found exclusively in technical uses"

So we've only been arguing about it for half a millenium.

Huh, you learn something new every day.

Sorry about that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think GM spells it that way too (I.e. check gages) .

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Linedance posted:

Google car with a cover over the camera?

Google car taking a picture of another google car is sort of cool

Here is a beauty that I see roaring around town. Photo can't do the HIDZ justice when blazing in glory.

Not seen: horrible fart cannon exhaust louder than diesel bro trucks. Babby seat.

It's a pity actually. I like the style of lancers of that vintage. Take away all the poo poo it's a nice little family car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Four exhaust tips means more powah right?

... all four were actually connected, so they get points for effort, at least.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 26, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
What Happens When You Don't Change Your Oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

lolololol

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's a lot of labor for what could have been done easier by just pulling the head and hot tanking it or something. Scooping all that poo poo out bit by bit seems like overkill / wasted time.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I fell taking the engine out completely would be an easier job!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why not just hot tank the pulled parts, like the cam shafts and cover and just solvent it up with the rest before trying to scrape the sludge out? I have a feeling some shop head wanted to be snarky and make a video like this on the customer's dime.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
After all that they didn't even change the oil filter (at least during the video)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

JP Money posted:

That's a lot of labor for what could have been done easier by just pulling the head and hot tanking it or something. Scooping all that poo poo out bit by bit seems like overkill / wasted time.

I may be incorrect, but doesn't aluminum start breaking down if you "hot tank" it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are solvents you can use that don't attack aluminum, but would still help. Hell, a Simple Green mix would have been better than "scooping by screwdriver."

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The guy used a screw driver because it's a time-consuming way to do it. He mentioned a dozen times about how it's a "seriously labor intensive blah blah blah." Few of us are professional mechanics but would likely all find a more efficient way to do this. But we're not getting paid by the billable hour, either.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
They definitely took the guy for a ride. Not passing emissions? It probably already has terminal ring damage; therefore, there is no point scraping out the sludge.

Edit: speeling is hard

EightBit fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 26, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if the owner was the old guy shamefully looking on in the background of the 2nd video? :laugh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The guy didn't change his oil for how many miles? I bet that saved him a lot of money.

Some people don't learn unless they get hit in the wallet. He might not learn anyways.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

Except it's not.

So I've been schooled. Thanks, I mean it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do tracks not get mad at the damage surely done by dragging hard parts constantly like that?
Well, that's on the street (because most race tracks don't have four way stops, a diesel garage and a parking lot attached to them, I assume).

However, our local track had a number of pretty deep gouges on some corners from where the local drift retards' cars decided to drop trou and nearly high centre. They never maintained it because the track was shutting down.

The best part is when they hit each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just trade the fucker in at one of those "push pull or drag" places. gently caress trying to fix it.