Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

elf help book posted:

You want to attack different parts of the monster's body so complete lock-on would be a big hindrance. Also, sometheres there's multiple targets. Once you see the monster, on the touch screen should be an icon of it with a target on top. Touch that and then you tap the L button to snap the camera to it.

Thanks. I was using that but it annoyed me to no end that I had to keep tapping the button to actually look at the drat beasty every time it slid around the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

What I wouldn't give for Culdcept 3ds to come over stateside.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

elf help book posted:

You want to attack different parts of the monster's body so complete lock-on would be a big hindrance.

People need to stop saying this. There's no reason the camera can be locked to the monster WITHOUT the character being locked. The character could still attack in whatever direction the stick is pointed, regardless of what the camera is facing. Many games have done this.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Is it possible to send a mii you sent to Mii Maker from Street Plaza back? Or is Miyamoto forever trapped within the confines of the Mii Maker app?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Vince Videogames posted:

Is it possible to send a mii you sent to Mii Maker from Street Plaza back? Or is Miyamoto forever trapped within the confines of the Mii Maker app?

No and yes. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Really hate these drat pink pieces...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Here's a man who knows what's up. gently caress this Monster Hunter nonsense, all the cool people play Culdcept.

For what it's worth I tried the Monster Hunter demo and three times in one fight the abominable snowman boss punched me past a loading barrier, and then I had to sit through two loading screens just to get back to the fight. That pretty much tells me everything I need to know about Monster Hunter.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So going into the eShop prompts an update for the 3DS.

Update is taking FOREVER to download though. Not sure if it's just heavy traffic on people doing the update or not, but this has been the most time consuming update outside of the eShop the June before last.

Edit: Finished. It doesn't seemed to of done anything I can tell outside of the eShop main menu logo thing. And the eShop is in maintenance, so I can't check that for differences right now.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Update is taking FOREVER to download though. Not sure if it's just heavy traffic on people doing the update or not, but this has been the most time consuming update outside of the eShop the June before last.

I downloaded the update, and it seems the shop's still down. I just want to give Nintendo my money :(.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Mr E posted:

I downloaded the update, and it seems the shop's still down. I just want to give Nintendo my money :(.

The update seems to have busted my ability to connect to the internet through my wireless access point :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sarchasm posted:

Here's a man who knows what's up. gently caress this Monster Hunter nonsense, all the cool people play Culdcept.

For what it's worth I tried the Monster Hunter demo and three times in one fight the abominable snowman boss punched me past a loading barrier, and then I had to sit through two loading screens just to get back to the fight. That pretty much tells me everything I need to know about Monster Hunter.

I'll never understand this complaint. Those loading screens take like a second and a half at most, and if the areas weren't separated the way they are the gameplay would be drastically different (for the worse IMO). Imagine one of the big monsters that likes to charge or slide around. Now imagine having to chase it across the equivalent of two or three areas because there's no barrier for him to stop at. Or trying to gather ore with a monster chasing you that just keeps following you no matter where you go. Yes, they could address this by tethering the monsters, but that would feel even more artificial than it does now.

The only thing I think really needs changed about the area system is how large monsters can occupy space that you can't because they're past the teleport barrier. That becomes a real problem sometimes when a monster drops an item or body part you can't get to or, worse, dies past the barrier and you can't carve it.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Seems like my ability to connect to my wireless extender just doesn't work anymore, I have to connect to the main wireless, which is terrible because it's far away. It keeps telling me the encryption is wrong even though it's using the settings that have been saved.

Why did this update break my wireless connection through the 3DS :(

EDIT: I'm a dummy my wireless extender is just garbage. Now put the eshop back up I wanna transfer my Monster Hunter save!

Stealthed Zombie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 26, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Funkmaster General posted:

I'll never understand this complaint.

You'll never understand that being forcibly pushed across a loading barrier and being removed from the game--even if only for a second and a half--is a negative?

It's a real simple problem with real simple solutions, and I can't think of any good reason for it to still be present in the third (actually this is what, the fourth? fifth?) installment of a series. I'm not going to say that the game is completely without merit, but there's some pretty lazy design here evident just from the demo, and if you're going to spend any length of time the game I think you have to be willing to acknowledge and overlook that.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

You'll never understand that being forcibly pushed across a loading barrier and being removed from the game--even if only for a second and a half--is a negative?

It's a real simple problem with real simple solutions, and I can't think of any good reason for it to still be present in the third (actually this is what, the fourth? fifth?) installment of a series. I'm not going to say that the game is completely without merit, but there's some pretty lazy design here evident just from the demo, and if you're going to spend any length of time the game I think you have to be willing to acknowledge and overlook that.

I don't think I can say anything besides that if you played the game, you would see the need for separate areas, even if without the loading times.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Monster Hunter's game design is so terrible and obtuse that it wraps around and becomes awesome and fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Crawfish posted:

Edit: Finished. It doesn't seemed to of done anything I can tell outside of the eShop main menu logo thing. And the eShop is in maintenance, so I can't check that for differences right now.

The update is mostly just background work for the save transfer app which is coming on Thursday.

There are some other, minor changes - the browser's quicker, and when you pick the "Download Later" option from the eShop you can go into sleep mode with the eShop still running and it'll work, unlike before.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've got an extra Luigi's Mansion Club Nintendo code if anyone wants to get me a $20 eShop card? My email's thomkolo at gmail dot com

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

nerdz posted:

I don't think I can say anything besides that if you played the game, you would see the need for separate areas, even if without the loading times.

I don't want to keep harping on this, but there's a way to have separate areas with discrete load times and yet script it so that characters in hitstun don't trigger those loads. That's what I mean when I say that the design is lazy--It's running into its third installment with flaws that were ironed out of games last generation.

But again, lots of people seem to enjoy it, so I don't want to piss on the parade. I also don't like Dark Souls, which I guess is Monster Hunter's closest living relative, so this kind of game probably wouldn't appeal to me anyway.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

I don't want to keep harping on this, but there's a way to have separate areas with discrete load times and yet script it so that characters in hitstun don't trigger those loads. That's what I mean when I say that the design is lazy--It's running into its third installment with flaws that were ironed out of games last generation.

But again, lots of people seem to enjoy it, so I don't want to piss on the parade. I also don't like Dark Souls, which I guess is Monster Hunter's closest living relative, so this kind of game probably wouldn't appeal to me anyway.

When a monster hits you for 2/3s of your health, you are really really thankful that it sent you flying to another area. It's good for you. I swear.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Since you are also a gentleman who likes fine things such as Culdcept, did you feed your need by picking up a Japanese 3ds and try to decipher space language aka Japanese?

I have been tempted, but seems price to pickup a foreign console which I have no idea how to read to play once game. Oh so very tempted.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
The part that confuses me is that, in 100+ hours of playing Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, I don't recall getting helplessly knocked out of one zone into another by a single boss time after time again.

I can't really remember it happening much at all throughout most of the game - unless I was trying to run away and got hit at the exit, or had the bad luck of entering an area when the boss was leaving... And even then, that didn't happen to me a ton either.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

I always thought the Monster Hunter games were MMO versions of the Atelier series, if that makes any sense. i.e. a lot of boring grinding and a completely secondary plot. I don't see why people like them at all, but I've only ever watched gameplay videos.

e: Actually I know why people like them a lot: people really really love mindless grinding for whatever loving reason.

my Friend likes this game, you Literale piece of poo poo. how dare you talk that way.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Since you are also a gentleman who likes fine things such as Culdcept, did you feed your need by picking up a Japanese 3ds and try to decipher space language aka Japanese?

There was a dark time late last year when I was considering the viability of having two 3DSes, but no, I'm in the same boat as everyone else, waiting for someone to announce a localization. Sucks double for me because I live in Japan, and every time I go to 7-11 I have to walk past racks of download cards offering Animal Crossing and such, knowing that they won't work on my roundeye 3DS.

I once heard it said that having an American 3DS in Japan is like being a Jewish kid at Christmastime. I'll get behind that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my god there's a 3DS version of Culdcept?

Okay I'm on board with this region locking is a plague on humanity bandwagon.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Crosspost from the eShop thread: "That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware."

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Crosspost from the eShop thread: "That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware."

Sorta-crosspost from eShop thread: It happened to me, a guy who has never had a problem with his 3DS before. Avoid.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

You and me both, brother. I still pop in Saga from time to time to grind more cards for the last few achievements play a match or two.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Attention all of you who are having problems with the latest update! After some intense searching for my girlfriend who had this problem, I found the solution!

Press and hold L+R+Up+A while powering on the system. It'll take you straight to System Update.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know what has to be done to get higher star ratings in Luigi's Mansion? I have a coin with two stars on it in the first mission, but there's an empty spot (for another coin) next to it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

AlexMoron posted:

Attention all of you who are having problems with the latest update! After some intense searching for my girlfriend who had this problem, I found the solution!

Press and hold L+R+Up+A while powering on the system. It'll take you straight to System Update.

Dude, thanks a ton.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Atlus announced a new Etrian Odyssey game in the latest Famitsu mag - "Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu - Millennium no Shoujo" which I guess translates to "New Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl"? It's an EO1 remake running in the EO4 engine, with full VA and other story enhancements, among other things. Due out in Japan on June 27.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone know what has to be done to get higher star ratings in Luigi's Mansion? I have a coin with two stars on it in the first mission, but there's an empty spot (for another coin) next to it.

I believe the stars are based on your time completing, damaged taken, and money found. That second slot is to show whether you found the hidden boo or not.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

What loudog said, but also if you don't know about the Boo thing yet it's because you haven't reached the fourth mission, so it isn't possible for you to have found one yet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Atlus announced a new Etrian Odyssey game in the latest Famitsu mag - "Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu - Millennium no Shoujo" which I guess translates to "New Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl"? It's an EO1 remake running in the EO4 engine, with full VA and other story enhancements, among other things. Due out in Japan on June 27.

Who do I need to kill to get this localized?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Norns posted:

Who do I need to kill to get this localized?

Probably no one. All the Etrian Odyssey games have made it to America so far, they must do pretty good business for Atlus.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

AlexMoron posted:

Even though it just said my system was up to date, I can access System Settings and the eShop again.

Thanks a ton.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

For what it's worth, I downloaded the update last night and have had no problems with it.

noirstronaut posted:

You might want to ask in the Luigi's Mansion thread.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Apparently this update also patched the save exploit that was found by those two hackers. I think the system is going to be quite safe from hacking for a while. Anyone wanting to use the eShop(even to download a demo) will have to update and they can force you to download a patch to play online.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dehry posted:

Apparently this update also patched the save exploit that was found by those two hackers.

Mind filling in an uninformed individual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Mind filling in an uninformed individual?

A couple of months ago there was a small group of hackers that found a vulnerability in one game (which they kept secret for fear of Nintendo discovering it) that allowed them to run their own code. I guess they never got very far with it.

• Locked thread