Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fallom posted:

Mobile providers in the US aren't allowed to penalize you for using tethering on limited plans anymore.

http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-right-to-tether-what-the-verizonfcc-settlement-means-to-you

They can still try to keep you from using tethering programs, but that's it.

:ssh: Verizon isn't the only mobile provider in the US. (This only applies to Verizon and the C block.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

randyest posted:

:ssh: Verizon isn't the only mobile provider in the US. (This only applies to Verizon and the C block.)

You don't have to act lovely about it. The information is certainly going to be helpful to people on Verizon who think they're going to get punished for using a tethering app, and I'm sorry I didn't realize it doesn't apply to all mobile providers.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fallom posted:

You don't have to act lovely about it. The information is certainly going to be helpful to people on Verizon and AT&T who think they're going to get punished for using a tethering app.
What's lovely about clarifying your incorrect blanket statement? You said "US mobile carriers" when you meant "Verizon."

You still seem confused: this does not apply to AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint, MetroPCS, etc. or literally any other US mobile provider other than Verizon.

AT&T may have started bundling tethering for new customers, but they're still hassling old customers for doing it, and it's just not true that they "can't penalize" you. Unless you think being throttled to edge speeds isn't a penalty.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

randyest posted:

What's lovely about clarifying your incorrect blanket statement?

The part where you give me some sarcastic retort because you're presumably having a bad day?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Fallom posted:

The part where you give me some sarcastic retort because you're presumably having a bad day?
What was sarcastic about his retort? You're quite possibly insane.

You provided blanket misinformation. He corrected you with the proper information. The end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

What was sarcastic about his retort? You're quite possibly insane.

:ssh: It's ok.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fallom posted:

:ssh: It's ok.
Oh you have a problem with emoticons. Sorry about that! It certainly wasn't meant sarcastically.

(I'm having a great day! Hope you do too!)

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

bobfather posted:

If you live outside the US, you potentially have free tethering. See, here in the US the megabytes that we pay dollars for are for some crazy reason only usable by the phone. If you want to tether to use your megabytes for other devices, you pay $20+ monthly for the privilege.

Enter programs like TetherMe, MyWi, and PDANet, which are all used to circumvent this blatant moneygrab.

Ah ok, that makes sense! Thank you for the info, I'm in canada and I guess on my plan Rogers doesn't care. They, I believe, do if you have a plan that is less than 1GB but after that you're home free.

That being said we don't have any unlimited data plans here on the big three (though I locked into a promo at 6Gb for 30/m which is unreal for Canada.

Thanks for the info!

Edit: also, sarcasm aside this thread rocks and so does everyone who has contributed to making my phone amazing! Lets all be friends :)

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 25, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any jailbreak apps that can be used to make the front facing camera record video while the display is locked/off?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not really a jailbreak thing but not sure how often you guys go into the ipone thread.

Apparently phoneclean is a good desktop program for getting rid of your "other"data

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Christoff posted:

Not really a jailbreak thing but not sure how often you guys go into the ipone thread.

Apparently phoneclean is a good desktop program for getting rid of your "other"data

There's a free app on Cydia (from BigBoss repo) called iCleaner that does basically the same thing and more. It can even remove languages and keyboards to free up even more space. The pro version (also free - add this repo - http://exile90software.com/cydia) also gives the ability to disable daemons and mobilesubstrate addons. Personally, I just use the app to log myself out of Marvel War of Heroes and into a new account.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

ihatepants posted:

There's a free app on Cydia (from BigBoss repo) called iCleaner that does basically the same thing and more. It can even remove languages and keyboards to free up even more space. The pro version (also free - add this repo - http://exile90software.com/cydia) also gives the ability to disable daemons and mobilesubstrate addons. Personally, I just use the app to log myself out of Marvel War of Heroes and into a new account.

Woah, if it can disable daemons, does this mean I can disable Activator?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
It seems as though the daemon management support was removed from iCleaner.

A goon posted a nice write-up about daemons and which ones are safe to disable, I will try and locate that after work and post it.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

decypher posted:

Yeah, he removed it from the version on the BigBoss repo, but it's still available on iCleaner Pro, which you have to add his personal repo to download. It's still free, just he removed that functionality probably due to users screwing up their settings.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I was using mywi to use my iPad as a USB adapter to receive wifi on my pc, is there a cheap or free app for that?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I usually defend MyWi, but it absolutely destroys Bluetooth on every device I've installed it on.

Basically, native Bluetooth tethering breaks. I cannot pair anything (other than keyboards) via Bluetooth.
The only way I can get Bluetooth working again is to uninstall MyWi and reboot the device (not just respring).

I sent the dev a message saying it messes with Bluetooth (iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2 GSM) back with 6.00.10 or something, and 6.00.11, .12, and .13 have all been released since. None have fixed it.

The first few releases of MyWi 6 had "MyWi 5.5" all over their graphics, internal text, help files, etc.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I have an iPhone 5 (6.0.2) jailbroken with BiteSMS as my messaging client. Very recently (past few days), I've stopped receiving notifications for incoming text messages. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I still get the "badge" icon in the dock (and menu) for texts, but no sound or alert in my lock screen (I also use LockInfo). None of my settings (as far as I know) have changed, and according to a few people I've chatted with, all of my settings seem to be generally on point. I've messed around and slipped through all the various settings (Settings.app, LockInfo settings, BiteSMS settings) and still haven't been able to pin anything down that is out of the ordinary. Any advice is appreciated.

edit: wow, I accidentally tapped the "SMS Alerts" on SBSettings-- I'm retarded.

dox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2013

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

decypher posted:

A goon posted a nice write-up about daemons and which ones are safe to disable, I will try and locate that after work and post it.

Holy poo poo, someone actually paid attention to that post I wrote? I thought everyone ignored it. Even if you find it, I would urge caution since it was for iOS 5.

Here is a post relevant for iOS 6:

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=10015836

Proceed with caution.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

dox posted:

I have an iPhone 5 (6.0.2) jailbroken with BiteSMS as my messaging client. Very recently (past few days), I've stopped receiving notifications for incoming text messages. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I still get the "badge" icon in the dock (and menu) for texts, but no sound or alert in my lock screen (I also use LockInfo). None of my settings (as far as I know) have changed, and according to a few people I've chatted with, all of my settings seem to be generally on point. I've messed around and slipped through all the various settings (Settings.app, LockInfo settings, BiteSMS settings) and still haven't been able to pin anything down that is out of the ordinary. Any advice is appreciated.

edit: wow, I accidentally tapped the "SMS Alerts" on SBSettings-- I'm retarded.

Now that I've quoted you I see you figured out the problem. You aren't retarded, the same thing has happened to me multiple times.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

Has anybody been having problems with phone calls not being able to end? If I hit the 'END' button on the phone call it will just blink and continue to still be on the line.

Usually the lock manual button ends the call.

BiteSMS
Auxo
MyWi

Not too much else installed.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I usually defend MyWi, but it absolutely destroys Bluetooth on every device I've installed it on.

Basically, native Bluetooth tethering breaks. I cannot pair anything (other than keyboards) via Bluetooth.
The only way I can get Bluetooth working again is to uninstall MyWi and reboot the device (not just respring).

I sent the dev a message saying it messes with Bluetooth (iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2 GSM) back with 6.00.10 or something, and 6.00.11, .12, and .13 have all been released since. None have fixed it.

The first few releases of MyWi 6 had "MyWi 5.5" all over their graphics, internal text, help files, etc.

I have no idea how you figured this out but I had this problem for so long that I just gave up on Bluetooth working on my phone. Thanks for the heads up, goodbye MyWi.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a way I can independently control SMS sound volume and Call Ringer volume? I have the Wilhelm Scream as my SMS sound, which is brilliant, but a ringtone that's somewhat quiet and I want to keep, there is a decent middle ground for the two, but really, I'd prefer to have a loud ringer and a quieter SMS sound. Any ideas?

SMS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6hhrX34Pw

Ringtone: http://audiko.net/ringtone/crank/Ringtone?ring=18961680

In case anyone was curious.

e: VVVVVV you know...that never once occurred to me and I work in audio. :doh:

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 25, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Open the file in Audacity, or another audio editor, and lower the volume, then reupload to Audiko and convert to the proper format.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Bummey posted:

Open the file in Audacity, or another audio editor, and lower the volume, then reupload to Audiko and convert to the proper format.

New&Improved and a little reverb added: http://audiko.net/ringtone/Wilhelm/proper?ring=26242263

edit: yeahhhh that's workin' just fine. Thanks for tip man.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 25, 2013

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it true that it's not possible to unlock a jailbroken iPhone 5 (locked to a carrier)?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Holy poo poo, someone actually paid attention to that post I wrote? I thought everyone ignored it. Even if you find it, I would urge caution since it was for iOS 5.

Paid attention? I printed that sucker out and to this day have retained my physical copy with my notes all over it. My iPhone 4S was humming back then. Thanks very much for bringing that to my attention, and sorry I never posted with that sentiment earlier. :-)

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Proceed with caution.

Looks like there is quite a bit of overlap concerning what's safe to be removed in both iOS 5 and 6, but I'll follow the list in that post, thanks!

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
I honestly wish BiteSMS and f.lux were available on un-jailbroken iPhones. They're pretty much the only two things I use aside from NCSettings every now and then.

Pathard fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 26, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

I have no idea how you figured this out but I had this problem for so long that I just gave up on Bluetooth working on my phone. Thanks for the heads up, goodbye MyWi.

If you could, contact the developer (Intelliborn) and let him know MyWi kills Bluetooth for you, as well.

Maybe with enough people reporting it, it will be fixed.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Proceed with caution.

This seems like it'd be an interesting endeavor but can anyone elaborate on the positives? As in, how much memory would you save? And would it have that much of an effect anyways?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

If you could, contact the developer (Intelliborn) and let him know MyWi kills Bluetooth for you, as well.

I would just ditch mywi if I could find a replacement for wifi->USB->pc tethering. This whole update thing is really shady.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crime on a Dime posted:

I would just ditch mywi if I could find a replacement for wifi->USB->pc tethering. This whole update thing is really shady.

Aren't PC USB wifi sticks like $10?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Bouchacha posted:

This seems like it'd be an interesting endeavor but can anyone elaborate on the positives? As in, how much memory would you save? And would it have that much of an effect anyways?

Especially how much effect would it have on an iphone 4?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any quantifiable results from this, but I did have a fairly significant increase in performance when I disabled many of the launch daemons on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.

One clearly defined but hard to measure improvement was that the Zephyr animation went from jittery to extremely smooth after disabling these daemons. My phone seemed to perform much better overall, but I never did any kind of timing tests. The Zephyr animation was the only thing I could clearly pinpoint as a big improvement.

Is it worth doing on an iPhone 5? Probably not. iPhone 4S? Maybe. If I still had my iPhone 4, I would absolutely disable many of the safe-to-remove daemons. I may still even do it on my iPhone 5 to save some battery life.

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004
My picture SMS is not working and Telus says it's my iPhone, I want to try a restore before I bring it in, I have my 6.12 blobs saved, can I stay on 6.12 or am I screwed to restoring to 6.13?

Thanks

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

TheZodiac posted:

My picture SMS is not working and Telus says it's my iPhone, I want to try a restore before I bring it in, I have my 6.12 blobs saved, can I stay on 6.12 or am I screwed to restoring to 6.13?

Thanks

If it's anything after the 4 you're screwed. Maybe including the 4, I don't remember.

Did you try "Reset Network Settings"?

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004

Kazy posted:

If it's anything after the 4 you're screwed. Maybe including the 4, I don't remember.

Did you try "Reset Network Settings"?

Thanks for the reply

Yes, I reset it 4 times, iPhone 4S

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Is it worth doing on an iPhone 5? Probably not. iPhone 4S? Maybe. If I still had my iPhone 4, I would absolutely disable many of the safe-to-remove daemons. I may still even do it on my iPhone 5 to save some battery life.

I think I will give this a shot. Do I just use iFile and delete .plist as needed?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

My bluetooth was definitely broken back in iOS 5, but since I now have iOS 6, I can't run MyWI (since the license is retardedly version-specific). Hence, I can't reproduce the bug and be sure about its impact.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

iLikeMidgets posted:

I think I will give this a shot. Do I just use iFile and delete .plist as needed?

I would make a backup of the LaunchDaemons folder first. I would also ensure you can SSH into your phone so that in the event you screw things up to the point where you can't use the Springboard, you can still SSH in and restore the backed-up LaunchDaemons folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
So I changed the "guess what" lock screen a bit.

Here's the code, just overwrite "lockbackground.html" in "/private/var/stash/Themes/Guess what.theme":

edit: http://www.thesoundenvelope.com/lol/LockBackground.html - right click, save as. Sorry about that for anyone who saw that massive block of text. (my hosting)

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 26, 2013

• Locked thread