Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bussamove posted:

If you break his head, his frill will get all ragged and full of holes, it's pretty obvious once you know what to look for. If you've been getting a reward in the lower half of the reward list that's colored teal, you've been breaking it. Sometimes bad luck just happens with drops.

Ah, then I have been breaking the head, I've just been "lucky" and getting the rare drops. Got it.

Is there a list of what monsters you can get which items off of? I think I'm at the point where I need to start doing some weapon upgrades because the bone gear dulls way too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just captured my first Arzuros and got Cha-Cha. Look who's a real monster hunter now. :smuggo:

Question: is there a trick or something to breaking Great Jaggi's head? I need two frills because I want the full Jaggi biker armor but I don't seem to be able to do enough damage to the head to get the carve. At least, I don't think I am; I did get a head off my first G. Jaggi kill but I can't tell if I'm breaking the head or not.

Be careful not to break his head TOO much, or else you won't get a frill at all.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Terper posted:

Be careful not to break his head TOO much, or else you won't get a frill at all.

... the hell are you talking about?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Edit: I am stupid

Does anyone know if there is more than two pieces to the Slagtoth set? It's not cowboy armor, but it makes me look all mysterious and such.

Chairon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Question: is there a trick or something to breaking Great Jaggi's head? I need two frills because I want the full Jaggi biker armor but I don't seem to be able to do enough damage to the head to get the carve. At least, I don't think I am; I did get a head off my first G. Jaggi kill but I can't tell if I'm breaking the head or not.

Its NOT a carve! Its a capture drop. Or I guess rewards screen but there is no rewards screen for a free hunt, so you have to cap to get it (I think).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

Its NOT a carve! Its a capture drop. Or I guess rewards screen but there is no rewards screen for a free hunt, so you have to cap to get it (I think).

Not according to this.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Now I might be missing something with the dual swords but so far all I've been doing is filling up my demon dance bar then going apeshit with the x button. Is there some sort of sweet combo I'm missing out on or am I cool to proceed as is?

Once you proc Archdemon mode, you can tack on part of demon dance at the end of a combo with X+A outside of Demonization, it costs some of you bar but that not that much.
I think it retains its non-bounce properties though (not sure)

eg you can do X - X - X+A once in archdemon.

e: Old habits

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

It's certainly not "agreed" (as if anything ever is on the internet) but lance is definitely one of the safest weapons to start with.

I wasn't saying that in a negative way. Nothing wrong with a weapon being easy to start with, as long as it's difficult to master. The lance takes tons of skill to be ~pro~ at, but to operate in such a way that it barely scrapes by it's the easiest one. Like the TF2 Pyro.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

... the hell are you talking about?

Uh. I just read a post on gamefaqs about King's Frills, and they were pretty explicit about only breaking his head ONCE, and only ONCE. I thought that meant you could break it further, so I never did.

H-have I been living a lie? :negative:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not according to this.

Its not listed under carve its listed under a break. You don't get a break unless you get a rewards screen. If you free hunt (moga woods, where you probably are running into them) you don't get a rewards screen. You do get one if you capture then talk to that guy though. I killed about 15 of them and got none. (they die easily so its not like a huge waste of time). Every time I have broken that stupid mane then captured them I've gotten it. Get 5 perception gems and shove them into your gear then paintball him. He dies too fast to see the limp half the time.

(I guess this could be confirmation bias and I'm horribly wrong).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Terper posted:

Uh. I just read a post on gamefaqs about King's Frills, and they were pretty explicit about only breaking his head ONCE, and only ONCE. I thought that meant you could break it further, so I never did.

Yeah that's not a thing. Beat on his face all day long.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

pixaal posted:

Its not listed under carve its listed under a break. You don't get a break unless you get a rewards screen. If you free hunt (moga woods, where you probably are running into them) you don't get a rewards screen. You do get one if you capture then talk to that guy though. I killed about 15 of them and got none. (they die easily so its not like a huge waste of time). Every time I have broken that stupid mane then captured them I've gotten it. Get 5 perception gems and shove them into your gear then paintball him. He dies too fast to see the limp half the time.

You should probably not try to grind drops in free hunt. Just do the hunt mission.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ ^ Thanks for the confirmation.

pixaal posted:

Gah, dangit, so I have to keep doing the "Hunt the G.Jaggi" quest to get the frill? That's annoying. Although I suppose it's good practice for later.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

LibrarianCroaker posted:

You should probably not try to grind drops in free hunt. Just do the hunt mission.

Well captures are easy and free hunt gives extra resources(and I mean town resources not items). For a G.Jaggi it kinda makes sense.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Gah, dangit, so I have to keep doing the "Hunt the G.Jaggi" quest to get the frill? That's annoying. Although I suppose it's good practice for later.

You get higher returns this way anyways, so it's not the worst thing to be forced to do.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

As an upside, you probably have plenty of Giant Skulls to trade to the Argosy for rare stuff. :v:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Terper posted:

No, it only breaks once. You can continue to attack his head (and you should), and he'll stagger backwards like you've broken it again but that's just a stagger, and has no effect on drops or rewards.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bussamove posted:

As an upside, you probably have plenty of Giant Skulls to trade to the Argosy for rare stuff. :v:

Nope, just got one. I haven't done too many freehunts yet.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Just got the best Switchaxe.

Grim Cat for life, beat things with kitty face all day.

But in all seriousness, it's a Paralysis SA with a Power Phial. It's pretty badass.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Are charms rare in the F. Forest? I've been mining here for awhile and haven't gotten a single one yet.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

Are charms rare in the F. Forest? I've been mining here for awhile and haven't gotten a single one yet.

Yeah, you're not going to see too many of them in the Forest. Charm farming is pretty much done entirely with volcano runs. Can snag 3-5 most runs with a pretty simple path.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I've only made Barroth and Alloy armour and now suddenly high-rank things are hurting me a lot, what is a good gunlance set for early high rank?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I'm about ready to give up here. Half the 6-star quests seem to be Rathians. I'm sick to god drat death of Rathians. And Rathalos, for that matter. HR hasn't been very fun outside that first mission. What kind of armor should I be working towards? I've got fully (as far as current level spheres go) upgraded LR Rathalos armor and the Volvidon hammer/Frozen Core for gear at the moment, and I'm getting slaughtered.

Usually I cherry-pick which quests to go on, but since Rathians, pink or otherwise, seem to be all over the place, I kinda wanna do something less frustrating. Should I just go to Tanzia for questing or what? Rathian's way more annoying here than she ever was in Tri and I'm not sure why. It isn't just in HR, because she was harder for me than Rathalos was even in LR, which seemed strange.

Went and did some Arena quests to see about gear from that. But Arena is boring to me. There's not really any challenge to it. And you don't seem to get anything good. At least from the default three. What's the recipe for earplugs this time around? Could do with some of those. Rathian shrieks -> Launches and tail swipes -> Flies up and tail swipes again right as I'm getting up -> Stunned -> Dead. I need something to counter the roaring.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

ChibiSoma posted:

Right, I'm about ready to give up here. Half the 6-star quests seem to be Rathians. I'm sick to god drat death of Rathians. And Rathalos, for that matter. HR hasn't been very fun outside that first mission. What kind of armor should I be working towards? I've got fully (as far as current level spheres go) upgraded LR Rathalos armor and the Volvidon hammer/Frozen Core for gear at the moment, and I'm getting slaughtered.

Usually I cherry-pick which quests to go on, but since Rathians, pink or otherwise, seem to be all over the place, I kinda wanna do something less frustrating. Should I just go to Tanzia for questing or what? Rathian's way more annoying here than she ever was in Tri and I'm not sure why. It isn't just in HR, because she was harder for me than Rathalos was even in LR, which seemed strange.

Went and did some Arena quests to see about gear from that. But Arena is boring to me. There's not really any challenge to it. And you don't seem to get anything good. At least from the default three. What's the recipe for earplugs this time around? Could do with some of those. Rathian shrieks -> Launches and tail swipes -> Flies up and tail swipes again right as I'm getting up -> Stunned -> Dead. I need something to counter the roaring.

I farmed up some HR Arzuros armor and it has served me well so far. You can easily gem it to give you Defense up M and it has anti-theft and other goodies that will serve you well.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

ChibiSoma posted:

You have to fight exatly one Pink Rathian to advance through the 6 star quests. Take a breath, maybe fight something else.

Also, there is something seriously cathartic about being able to carve Plesi in the water.

Mr. Leonheart fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 26, 2013

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I've only made Barroth and Alloy armour and now suddenly high-rank things are hurting me a lot, what is a good gunlance set for early high rank?

High Rank Barroth gear is pretty solid. It gives you 6 slots Attack Up (15) Defense (10) Defender (10) and Hunger (-10). I gemmed out the hunger and got artillery +10 since there are exactly enough slots to do it. You could also go Attack Up (20) and possible Defender or Defense +15 without messing around with charms too much.

Plus with it upgraded as far as I can go I have 300+ defense so when I do miss a block I don't get hit too hard. It's also relatively easy to farm though the claws were a pain for me to get for some reason.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 26, 2013

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I can't seem to find 3U specific weapon upgrade charts anywhere on the internet. Are the trees the same as Tri, or is the game too new to have them done yet? I figure someone would have poopsocked by now.

Also, what older monsters are in this now? I miss YKK and Gypceros. :-(

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I can't seem to find 3U specific weapon upgrade charts anywhere on the internet. Are the trees the same as Tri, or is the game too new to have them done yet? I figure someone would have poopsocked by now.

Here's a gallery of all of the weapon trees. Some monster and part names might be off, but the trees are still right.

http://imgur.com/a/XPaVU

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Speaking of weapon trees, can anybody recommend me what path to go down for hammers? Right now I'm at the urgent quest to hunt a gobul so I'd like the strongest thing I can actually make. Also while I'm at it, what armor should I go for to use with hammers?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

GameFAQs has a pretty complete listing of all of Tri U's weapon recipes and upgrade trees.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Highblood posted:

Speaking of weapon trees, can anybody recommend me what path to go down for hammers? Right now I'm at the urgent quest to hunt a gobul so I'd like the strongest thing I can actually make. Also while I'm at it, what armor should I go for to use with hammers?

I just did this quest with the R.Ludroth Splashhammer. I destroyed him good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just did this quest with the R.Ludroth Splashhammer. I destroyed him good.

Yeah but you weren't being 100% efficient with that type so clearly you don't know how to play this game and aren't having as much fun as I am.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I'm really curious what's the socially acceptable rules of mining/gathering during a kill/capture quest? Because there's been a boatload of times that a player joins and instead runs away from the monster each time it enters the zone and just spends the entire time mining or fishing. They don't even fight or anything.

I've gotten kicked a few times because I was charging these players towards the monster with my lance to keep them from escaping. One I successfully pinned between a Brachy tail and my weapon and she got stuck there just rolling for a good 30 seconds.

I find the hunting etiquette stuff pretty interesting. If it was up to me, if you are doing a kill/capture quest then you go directly for the target and you only mine for the minute after it's dead or captured. There's a reason why there are Harvest Tours.

The semi annoying but somewhat acceptable alternative is to mine after you have located the target, battled with it and it has left the room. If someone in my room is going to spend the first 5-10 minutes of every quest mining/gathering i'm going to harass them as much as possible or find another group.

The other thing that bothers me is people who carve tails while the battle is still going on...the tail isn't going to disappear before the battle ends or it moves into another room. I was in a group last night and all 3 of the people I was playing with tried to carve a Brachy tail at the same time and they all got exploded. That was actually kind of hilarious though.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

ChibiSoma posted:

Honestly it sounds like you just need a bit of a break. I know that I can get put on tilt by a game and no matter how hard I keep hammering away at it, things just get worse. Like others have said, you only have do one Rathian quest to advance, but to be honest, the stuff that comes after her is a lot harder. Just go easy for a bit, farm up some high rank gear like the Arzuros set, do some night time free hunts, build up your farm and get some good trades. Then go back to the HR/Star grind.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah but you weren't being 100% efficient with that type so clearly you don't know how to play this game and aren't having as much fun as I am.

I could have sworn that fun I had was genuine. :ohdear:

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Stream going up. Doing a little farming and then some multiplayer.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Man come on eShop maintenance, I need to get my save transfer on!

Been playing on the 3DS since I went to PAX, really want to throw my progress on the big screen. eShop is still down :(

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm not even advancing the game at this point, now I'm just hunting G. Wroggi's over and over because I want a full Wroggi set because drat that hat is sharp. There is something evil about this game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I'm seeing why people call Lance "easy mode". I'm doing Greatsword damage but I'm a lot more mobile, and the Autoguard talisman I got keeps kicking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
When do quests for Rathians start showing up? I need 2 Rath Marrow to finish up that DLC quest lance but I'm not finding any quests for it offline at 3 star rank. Is it viable to do that Qurupeco quest and go after the Rathian he sometimes summons or should I just rank up to the point where the quests come naturally?

• Locked thread