Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ChetReckless posted:

Paperwhite Firmware 3.5.4 is out now. I really can't find any notes on what was changed, other than "general improvements". The most detail I could find was from the Ebook Reader blog:

(Half of why I'm quoting this is the link to the fonts thing, which I had no idea about.)

edit - Speaking of fonts, anyone have any interesting favourites?

Ack, why don't they post a changelog for the super nerds to look at :smith:

From brief usage, the interface seems a tad more responsive but that could be me just looking for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

Paperwhite Firmware 3.5.4 is out now. I really can't find any notes on what was changed , other than "general improvements". The most detail I could find was from the Ebook Reader blog:

(Half of why I'm quoting this is the link to the fonts thing, which I had no idea about.)

edit - Speaking of fonts, anyone have any interesting favourites?

Well I can tell you one thing that was changed: My screensaver hack and all my screensavers are gone. :mad:

So just a heads up, :siren: the update breaks the screensaver hack :siren:. I'm going to guess there's going to be no workaround for some time, considering previously you had to downgrade to install the hack and the upgrade breaks it.

I don't mind all that much, I didn't spend all my time staring at screensavers but it was nice to have that extra dash of personalization. Darn. :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's a bother. I get that it's a bit of bother to to program it in and it might not be worth the night's work required or something but it'd be nice to have that in there as an option or something.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Got a new paperwhite, fired up Calibre. I see they're still doing a loving update every loving week. How is this poo poo still loving going on? This is seriously the most annoying lovely feature of the program, makes me want to stop using it entirely.

vvv: I hate the pop up notice

Guilty fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 21, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I haven't updated for months and it hasn't bothered me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wish there was an automatic upgrade within the program that didn't require you to download that awful setup file that takes a minute to calculate whether you have space in your hard drive. They occasionally put out neat features I do want, like recently they updated Kobo's drivers to support syncing correct aspect ratio covers, series information and shelves.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Guilty posted:

Got a new paperwhite, fired up Calibre. I see they're still doing a loving update every loving week. How is this poo poo still loving going on? This is seriously the most annoying lovely feature of the program, makes me want to stop using it entirely.

You can disable the popup and it makes the experience better.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guilty posted:

They do still add stuff with each update. They just need to integrate a self-updater into the thing already though.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not sure this fits into this thread, but, I don't know of a better thread. I'm looking to buy a couple of e-books, but they are unavailable in the USA. I have seen them on amazon.co.uk, and infibeam.com. I'd be happier with epub than kindle format, but at this point I'd accept either.

I don't think I can easily set up an account in the UK or (for infibeam) India because none of my billing information is going to match.

Can anyone suggest a work around for the region restrictions? Or is this just something I should live with because there is no easy work around?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, I'm looking to upgrade from my old G3 Keyboard Kindle and I'm wondering, given that I ensure that I've made sure I'm not locked into Amazon's ecology, if I shouldn't go with an alternative e-reader.

Any thoughts?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, I'm looking to upgrade from my old G3 Keyboard Kindle and I'm wondering, given that I ensure that I've made sure I'm not locked into Amazon's ecology, if I shouldn't go with an alternative e-reader.

Any thoughts?

Well that really depends on what features you think your 3GKK is missing. Are you upgrading for a reason, or is it just a case of "I've got some money and want a new e-Reader"?

It's been months and I'm still supremely excited about my Paperwhite. I can't imagine what I'd recommend over that. Great at PDFs, nice and snappy, and a good backlight.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Is there a way to tell, from amazon's website, if a book is available for borrowing through the Amazon Prime Lending Library? If it turns out several of the book I want to read are available I'll just sign up for prime and borrow than drop all the money on them.

edit: oh, I figured it out. If you look at the Kindle Edition of a book, it will tell you under the price like the book shown here does

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 23, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ConanThe3rd posted:

Any thoughts?

Don't buy into B+N's line right now, their devices feel like they're a generation behind (particularly the Nook Glowlight, the quality of the lighting is distinctly poorer than the Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo). And there's some odd news of their e-book business being split off from the brick and mortar stores.

Haven't owned a Paperwhite but I'll comment on some pros and cons of the Kobo Glo. I can't comment on the ecosystem as I'm still mainly buying off of B+N or Amazon.

Pros
- The light is really, really good, even throughout and very powerful on the higher settings
- Fine control over font size and margins, to the point where you can change the font weight and sharpness
- You can sideload your own fonts if you're not happy with the dozen or so preloaded into the device
- Adjustable full page refresh settings, from instant to every 6 pages
- Can use Calibre to sync series info and shelves
- Sleepcovers or third party covers with a magnet will automatically put the device in sleep mode or wake it up when the cover is closed and opened

Cons
- Battery life could be better. Some people in mobilereads are reporting very long battery life, up to a month's worth, and others are having their devices drain in less than a week. Suspected that sleep mode is not working properly at the moment and draining far more battery than it should.
- Footnotes are a bloody hassle. Sometimes they click, sometimes they turn the page.
- The Kobo support staff is quite active in the forums, but firmware updates to resolve bugs are slow in coming and sometimes breaks stuff inadvertently.
- The software feels slightly more sluggish from someone who's used to the Nook. Not in the speed of page turns but more as to the overall responsiveness of the device.
- Nearly impossible to find outside of local independent bookshops.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 23, 2013

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

- Battery life could be better. Some people in mobilereads are reporting very long battery life, up to a month's worth, and others are having their devices drain in less than a week. Suspected that sleep mode is not working properly at the moment and draining far more battery than it should.

Huh. I had no clue. My Glo is definitely good for several weeks on one charge; I read 1-2 hours every day, always keeping the frontlight on (at about the third-lowest setting).

I agree with pretty much all your points though. All in all it's a pretty great device.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

- Nearly impossible to find outside of local independent bookshops.

Unless you're in Canada in which case it is actually the preferred eReader ecosystem among retailers and libraries.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
It's actually a little bizarre. For the longest time I assumed the Kobo belonged to Chapters/Indigo, because if you wander into that book chain, it's impossible to miss the Kobo advertising.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

It's actually a little bizarre. For the longest time I assumed the Kobo belonged to Chapters/Indigo, because if you wander into that book chain, it's impossible to miss the Kobo advertising.

They used to own Kobo but sold it off to Rakuten, the Japanese equivalent of amazon.com.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Snuffman posted:

They used to own Kobo but sold it off to Rakuten, the Japanese equivalent of amazon.com.

Ah, so it wasn't a crazy idea after all.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Snuffman posted:

You're being horribly uncharitable to Amazon there.

Rakuten's basically just a big marketplace anyone can sell anything on. They all make their own websites to hawk their own goods on Rakuten. So basically, Rakuten processes payments and provides search listings.

Amazon is the Amazon of Japan. :P

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If you install the Windows 8 Nook App, there's a selection of free books/magazines to download. First 100,000 downloaders can get Life of Pi for free:

Full Book list is:

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Blue Bloods - Melissa de la Cruz
The Enemy - Charlie Higson
The Best American Series 2012 (15 short stories and essays)
Hello, Cupcake! - Karen Tack & Alan Richardson

Magazines:

GQ - April 2013
HGTV Magazine - April 2013
Time - April 1, 2013
Food Network - April 2013
Real Simple - April 2013

quote:

To find and download the free NOOK Books and magazines, NOOK for Windows 8 users can simply scroll to the Popular Lists section in the app and find the “Welcome Offer” list. Customers will have to act fast to get their free copy of the modern classic, Life of Pi, which is only available to the first 100,000 customers who download the book on the NOOK app for Windows 8.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder what Amazon is going to do for the Paperwhite 2.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

smackfu posted:

I wonder what Amazon is going to do for the Paperwhite 2.

Better light, faster page turn, better battery, audio, size change... pick three. :P

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Amazon just bought Goodreads. I hope there's some killer integration with the Kindle reader in an upcoming firmware.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Amazon just bought Goodreads. I hope there's some killer integration with the Kindle reader in an upcoming firmware.

Based on precedent, the most likely outcome is that Goodreads gets run into the ground so it can't compete with amazon's own rating and review system.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is that what ended up happening to Shelfari? :ohdear:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Autumncomet posted:

Is that what ended up happening to Shelfari? :ohdear:

And Mobibocket and Stanza. RIP Goodreads.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 29, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

And Mobibocket and Stanza. RIP Goodreads.

I don't think it's fair to say that for Mobipocket. Mobipocket's tech is what runs all their reading stuff, they bought them 2 years before the Kindle came out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that for Mobipocket. Mobipocket's tech is what runs all their reading stuff, they bought them 2 years before the Kindle came out.

The used Mobipocket's format for Kindle, but Mobipocket's existing customers got screwed when they cut off support for their software.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh wow. I'm not sure how I feel about that news.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

The used Mobipocket's format for Kindle, but Mobipocket's existing customers got screwed when they cut off support for their software.

Which was like 5 years after Mobipocket was bought and 3 years after the Kindle was out. That's plenty of transition time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They stopped maintaining it a lot earlier than that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

They stopped maintaining it a lot earlier than that.

If by a lot earlier you mean about a year then sure.

The MobiPocket storefront is even still up if you're still using one of the old style ereaders or a palm pilot or something!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I tried to use my paperwhite today while it was plugged into the wall and charging, and it seemed to spazz out on me. Instead of flipping the page forward or backwards, it would bring up the font size menu and change the font bigger or larger, but it wouldn't load the whole menu, and then if I FINALLY got rid of the menu, it would auto-flip rather quickly through pages. After I unplugged it, it seemed to work like normal.

Did I get a defective kindle?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Guilty posted:

I tried to use my paperwhite today while it was plugged into the wall and charging, and it seemed to spazz out on me. Instead of flipping the page forward or backwards, it would bring up the font size menu and change the font bigger or larger, but it wouldn't load the whole menu, and then if I FINALLY got rid of the menu, it would auto-flip rather quickly through pages. After I unplugged it, it seemed to work like normal.

Did I get a defective kindle?

Plug it back in and try again? More importantly, make sure your screen is good and clean, any dampness or finger oily spots can trip up a capacitive touch screen like that.

Also, try another charger.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. Anything on the screen (hair, dust, etc) can cause it to spaz as well.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I ordered a Kobo Touch last tuesday directly from Kobo.com and have only gotten a "hey we charged your account and will be sending you tracking info when it ships" email. It's now Monday and I haven't gotten any tracking info. Is this normal for this company?

Edit Tuesday update on this.

quote:

Hi MCHawking,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced in regards to shipping of your Kobo Touch eReader.

Please note that we've escalated your issue to our Tier 2 Direct Order Inquiry Team.

The Tier 2 team will try to provide a resolution as soon as possible and will contact you if they require additional information in order to resolve your issue.

We greatly appreciate your patience during this process.

Again, thank you for contacting Kobo today and if you have any further issues, please contact us via email, phone, or chat.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Thursday Update:

I've been on hold for what seems like an eternity. After much bellyaching and yelling I've finally managed to get a Tier 1 floor supervisor on the line who has told me that there is no record of my order in their system. Since tier 2 CS is apparently to cool for school, she is playing go between sending a screenshot of my invoice and credit card statement to Tier 2 in order to get a refund processed. Presuming all goes well I'll probably see a refund in six to eight weeks. My banker is not amused.

Total time on hold: Just over three hours between yesterday and today.

Lesson? Never buy from Kobo online. This has been a monumental clusterfuck. I feel bad too because I actually snapped at a tier 1 at length in order to get her to put the floor supervisor on the line. I've worked that poo poo job and it sucks rear end but being nice has gotten me nowhere over the last couple days.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 11, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite a few days ago, and I just wanted to know if anyone else with one has very uneven lighting near the bottom.
I can see four "smudges", even at the highest brightness. Below 15 it almost looks like one has burnt out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 12, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Mine's like that too. Not a big deal.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Seems like a lot of them have that due to the design. Unless you have one that's actually broken you won't notice it after a week or so. Mine isn't perfectly even, but I really don't notice it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite a few days ago, and I just wanted to know if anyone else with one has very uneven lighting near the bottom.
I can see four "smudges", even at the highest brightness. Below 15 it almost looks like one has burnt out.

It shouldn't look like anything is burned out, but yes, you will probably see a few cones of light at the bottom.

This is somewhat similar to what I see on mine, although I do believe the photo exaggerates it a little. It is also highly dependant on the brightness you read at.

If you have something worse than that then maybe consider asking for a replacement, but this is an example of what I'd call a typical screen.

I hate to sound like I'm being an apologist, but mine really was noticeable for maybe five minutes max. Once I actually read something on it I didn't even remember it was there.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 12, 2013