Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Some of us can't handle the banding in the shadows that occurs when you push an inferior camera's exposure five stops, okay :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Musket posted:

Do you shoot nothing but MTF charts and brick walls?

Sensors are different but both are 24mp. D7100 has way more options and use of legacy lenses with metering and AF screw.

Also, pentaprism viewfinder rather than pentamirror. Makes a huge difference.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The D7100 also has no low-pass filter on it.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Musket posted:

Do you shoot nothing but MTF charts and brick walls?

Sensors are different but both are 24mp. D7100 has way more options and use of legacy lenses with metering and AF screw.

Way more options and way better AF module and much better construction and ergonomics.

Whether or not that's worth it as an upgrade over a D3200 I don't know. The D7k made me happy as an upgrade from a D90, but I have no experience with the D3200.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

One of the best things about the D7000 (and D7100) is the ability to meter with lenses that give no aperture feedback (like T2 mounts and the like). I use a lot of stuff on PB-6 bellows or random non-nikon lenses, so that ability is important to me - although it might not be so much for you.

Also, as Fart Amplifier says, the pentaprism viewfinder is also nicer.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Musket posted:

Buy 17-50 tamron 2.8, not a new camera body. Trust the dorkroom.

Yup. Or the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 or the 24-70 f/2.8 if you don't mind the offset focal range. You will poo poo a brick after seeing what quality glass can bring out of cheaper bodies.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

krooj posted:

Yup. Or the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 or the 24-70 f/2.8 if you don't mind the offset focal range. You will poo poo a brick after seeing what quality glass can bring out of cheaper bodies.

This is good advice but holy poo poo both of those are so stupendously more expensive than the Tamron 17-50 2.8 that it's not even funny. Probably go with the Tamron, dude.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

spongepuppy posted:

One of the best things about the D7000 (and D7100) is the ability to meter with lenses that give no aperture feedback (like T2 mounts and the like). I use a lot of stuff on PB-6 bellows or random non-nikon lenses, so that ability is important to me - although it might not be so much for you.

I didn't think any Nikons did that, how do you do it?

SoundMonkey posted:

The Tamron 200-400 f/5.6 is actually not terrible for the price.

At least it's cheaper than an 80-200 2.8 and 2x teleconverter.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beastruction posted:

At least it's cheaper than an 80-200 2.8 and 2x teleconverter.

...which is what I use now, with a $50 Tamron 1.4x TC. 380mm f/4 is close enough to 400mm for me, and a stop faster. And when I take the teleconverter off I'm left with what is still an awesome lens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SoundMonkey posted:

...which is what I use now, with a $50 Tamron 1.4x TC. 380mm f/4 is close enough to 400mm for me, and a stop faster. And when I take the teleconverter off I'm left with what is still an awesome lens.

You have a 271 mm f/2.8 lens? :confused:

Or is it a 180 mm f/2.8 and you’re including the crop factor?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Stop faster than the Tamron 200-400mm, I'd wager.

e: I found the 17-55/2.8 for 500€ used, and it's so hugely worth it. Pretty banged up, but great value for the price.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 26, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

Having owned the DX 17-55 and Tammy 17-50 nonvc and currently own the 24-70 , the Tammy non VC is a great lens worth far more than its 400photobux tag. Plus its got bees inside of it :freep:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

This is good advice but holy poo poo both of those are so stupendously more expensive than the Tamron 17-50 2.8 that it's not even funny. Probably go with the Tamron, dude.

The Tamron is better value for money for sure, but the 17-55 can be had used for around $700, which is a few hundred more than the Tamron. Consider the poster was asking about a D7k body, tho. I guess the Tamron + 35 1.8 DX would be a good life choice as well.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Platystemon posted:

It's an 80-200 2.8, which when used with a 1.4x TC, gives you 280mm f/4 on the long end, and it turns out I just can't type for poo poo. Nothing to see here.

And anybody that "includes crop factor" for that sorta poo poo is horribly pedantic and should probably get banned or something.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

Anybody that "includes crop factor" for that sorta poo poo is horribly pedantic and should probably get banned or something.

Can we make this an official rule?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Can we make this an official rule?

I was about to explain why I wasn't going to do that, but while explaining it I realized it wasn't a bad idea.

code:
20.  No being incredibly pedantic and smug about crop factors with your "oh it's not REALLY 50mm, :smug:" bullshit. Yes. It really is 50mm. 
     Learn what field of view means.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Beastruction posted:

I didn't think any Nikons did that, how do you do it?

I get metering in A and M modes on the D7000 and D300 with all of my old T-mount lenses. It only works in spot and centre-weighted metering modes, as far as I understand. You can even wiggle the little AI metering prong thing to watch the aperture numbers (and metered light level) change.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I saw a Nikon remote for 8 bucks in a store a few weeks ago, thought it was very cheap so I bought it. I've been rather unsatisfied with it though, maybe I am using it wrong or something but it doesn't seem I can get it to react unless I point the thing absolutely correct and at no longer than 2 meters or so. Are there a lot of crappy knockoffs like these floating around? Is the one by Nikon any better?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I saw a Nikon remote for 8 bucks in a store a few weeks ago, thought it was very cheap so I bought it. I've been rather unsatisfied with it though, maybe I am using it wrong or something but it doesn't seem I can get it to react unless I point the thing absolutely correct and at no longer than 2 meters or so. Are there a lot of crappy knockoffs like these floating around? Is the one by Nikon any better?

Infrared remotes are total bullshit, especially if you're in an environment better-lit than "the bottom of a well at midnight on the darkest day of the year during a lunar eclipse."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SoundMonkey posted:

Infrared remotes are total bullshit, especially if you're in an environment better-lit than "the bottom of a well at midnight on the darkest day of the year during a lunar eclipse."

Yeah it completely failed on me today in the sun. What would you recommend for remote triggering, I have like no idea where to begin.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah it completely failed on me today in the sun. What would you recommend for remote triggering, I have like no idea where to begin.

What camera body do you have? Hopefully it has some kind of wired option that'll let you radio trigger it (or at least a long cable).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I have a D7000

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Good, no, better than IR, probably.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110817480956

EDIT: Oh they just ship to Singapore, whatev, just search for "d7000 radio shutter release".

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

Good, no, better than IR, probably.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110817480956

EDIT: Oh they just ship to Singapore, whatev, just search for "d7000 radio shutter release".

Urgh, for that price you can get one of the wireless flash triggers that has a shutter trigger mode. 2 functions for the price of one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SybilVimes posted:

Urgh, for that price you can get one of the wireless flash triggers that has a shutter trigger mode. 2 functions for the price of one.

Except the D7000 uses that weird moon connector that isn't the standard ten-pin connector, so you'd have to get an adapter anyways.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

Except the D7000 uses that weird moon connector that isn't the standard ten-pin connector, so you'd have to get an adapter anyways.

Sure, but those are usually only like $3-4, and some of those remote flash sellers bundle the cable of your choice anyway

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

Sure, but those are usually only like $3-4, and some of those remote flash sellers bundle the cable of your choice anyway

Eg.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-RF-...=item3cc2bb4eb4

Or just search for rf603 n3 (n1 = 10 pin, n2 = d70, n3 = dx000/d90/etc)

(Sorry, can't edit on ipad app)

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Question for the Nikon users here in the dorkroom. My aunt recently picked up a new D3200 and we have found that her old lenses (actually grandpas lenses) from her 1970ish 35mm nikon fit but the new camera seems to not like them, it just turns off. I know that you can use them manually is there some ritual she will need to do to get them to work without making the camera say "no!" And turn off. Also would it be cheaper for her to get a DSLR that supports the old style lens or simply replace them with newer ones?

I think she would be replacing a telephoto lens and a wide angle if she got new lenses.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I think she should be able to turn the selection dial to manual mode (the "m") and use the lenses manually.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Question for the Nikon users here in the dorkroom. My aunt recently picked up a new D3200 and we have found that her old lenses (actually grandpas lenses) from her 1970ish 35mm nikon fit but the new camera seems to not like them, it just turns off. I know that you can use them manually is there some ritual she will need to do to get them to work without making the camera say "no!" And turn off. Also would it be cheaper for her to get a DSLR that supports the old style lens or simply replace them with newer ones?

I think she would be replacing a telephoto lens and a wide angle if she got new lenses.

You can turn the mode dial to M and set a shutter speed while messing with the aperture dial on the lens to set exposure, but you will get no metering and the camera won't work in the other exposure modes (as you've found.) Using it like this will be a gigantic pain in the rear end at best.

Buying a different body will be much more expensive for the most part unless you get something older - you need one that has the aperture feeler for AI/AI-s lenses (D7000/7100, D200, D300(s)), etc.), all of which will cost more, be more complex, and/or have lower image quality than the 3200.

Did it not come with a kit lens? The 18-55 VR is great 99% of the time if this is just a casual camera and is $200. Wide-angle on a DX body requires something like the DX Nikkor 10-24/12-24, Tokina 11-16, etc. The DX Nikkor 55-200 VR is a cheap, good telephoto. If she needs something for low light, the 35 1.8 DX is a good fixed lens. None of these are expensive options except the wide zooms.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

The value proposition is likely to hang on which lenses they replace. If the tele is the 200mm f/2.0 IF-ED, for instance, then go the new camera - but it's likely to be cheaper to get the 18-55 and 55-200 (or similar), and I expect that AF would be a welcome bonus.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spongepuppy posted:

The value proposition is likely to hang on which lenses they replace. If the tele is the 200mm f/2.0 IF-ED, for instance, then go the new camera - but it's likely to be cheaper to get the 18-55 and 55-200 (or similar), and I expect that AF would be a welcome bonus.

Just pick up the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses. The former should be less than $100 and I just bargain binned the latter for $120.

VVVV it came with the 18-55 which is fine for a general purpose lens. What exactly isn't she happy about?

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 31, 2013

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Yup it does come with a lens although she didn't seem excited about it for some reason, I was dragged in when camera seemed to be snubbing its nose at her old lenses. Thanks for the help ill let her know.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
What AI-AIS-E series lenses are they?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Tried it and it worked. manual focus with no light meter. I guess her initial thought was that the lens wasn't great. Which was odd since for the price i would think they would provide a decent lens and that the clerk at bestbuy said her lenses would work (yeah I know bestbuy camera dept is the worst place to buy one but she didn't know any better). I mentioned most of what I've read here to her that its a good general purpose lense she seemed happy about that. Thanks for the help in figuring this out.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Given that the old lenses are probably nicely finished metal, and the new lens is wobbly plastic, I can totally understand why your aunt was underwhelmed. That said, most of my wobbly plastic lenses are better than the nice, metal old lenses I have any day.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

spongepuppy posted:

Given that the old lenses are probably nicely finished metal, and the new lens is wobbly plastic, I can totally understand why your aunt was underwhelmed. That said, most of my wobbly plastic lenses are better than the nice, metal old lenses I have any day.

That's a good point, although we all were impressed by the sheer lightness of the new camera. I think part of it was she doesn't want to get a new doubler and telephoto lens. That said how much would these go for her new camera? would be a nice easy x-mas gift for this year for her.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Very few people use "doublers" anymore. She should just get the kit zooms and/or a 35mm. Welcome to modern times, granma.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

That's a good point, although we all were impressed by the sheer lightness of the new camera. I think part of it was she doesn't want to get a new doubler and telephoto lens. That said how much would these go for her new camera? would be a nice easy x-mas gift for this year for her.

In a way, her new camera is a doubler - the effective field of view on her old lenses would be smaller on the new camera owning to the smaller size of the sensor relative to 35mm film. Basically, the only the middle 70% of the frame is used, so voila! Instant increase in apparent magnification at the imaging plane.

Basically, sticking any of her old lenses onto the D3200 would give the same FOV as using that lens on her old camera with a 1.5x doubler.

You can use the concept of "35mm equivalent" focal lengths to make this comparison when moving from a 35mm film camera to a DX sensor camera, but it's probably best not to go down that rabbit hole for a variety of practical, technical and semantic reasons. Besides, I'm sure your aunt is probably more interested in taking pictures than worrying about boring technical crap.

Edit: To answer your actual question, I am told that the Tamron 70-300 VC is quite good value, and would be more than enough zoom for most people. I have not used it myself. Check the gear thread for recommendations, too.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

spongepuppy posted:

In a way, her new camera is a doubler - the effective field of view on her old lenses would be smaller on the new camera owning to the smaller size of the sensor relative to 35mm film. Basically, the only the middle 70% of the frame is used, so voila! Instant increase in apparent magnification at the imaging plane.

Basically, sticking any of her old lenses onto the D3200 would give the same FOV as using that lens on her old camera with a 1.5x doubler.

You can use the concept of "35mm equivalent" focal lengths to make this comparison when moving from a 35mm film camera to a DX sensor camera, but it's probably best not to go down that rabbit hole for a variety of practical, technical and semantic reasons. Besides, I'm sure your aunt is probably more interested in taking pictures than worrying about boring technical crap.

Interesting, I'll mention this to her but yeah i think shes more concerned with having a new camera ready for her next vacation.

Also I've been reading a lot lately about photography doing research into her problem and am getting an interest in trying this out what would you suggest as a cheap used nikon to chase down for someone who wants to try this out?